• Published 16th Feb 2021
  • 1,293 Views, 370 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Blue Destiny - MagnetBolt



Far above the wasteland, where the skies are blue and war is a distant memory, a dark conspiracy and a threat from the past collide to threaten everything.

  • ...
11
 370
 1,293

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 123: God Shattering Star

“Take the bait,” I mumbled, watching the case drift through the mist. A weather balloon had been attached to it, holding the empty luggage and the tracking device built into it. The winds were pushing it along the stream of clouds and broken weather that made up the Corridor.

“I can’t believe you almost threw the gold overboard,” Cube teased. My cheeks burned.

“I didn’t know the plan!” I protested. “Besides, I took it out after Captain Glint started yelling at me.”

“Do you think they’ll actually come after us?” Para Medic asked.

I nodded. “They wanted us shot down.”

“Even though I was onboard!” Cube spat. She kicked the railing of the Raven’s Nest. The old ship groaned, the airbag above us protesting. I looked up at it. Wrinkles were starting to develop near the rigging. We were slowly losing pressure from the damage the Juniper had done.

“I can’t imagine why,” Quattro said, struggling to sound serious. “You’re such wonderful company, and Polar Orbit has never treated ponies like expendable tools.”

“They had better come soon,” Herr Doktor mumbled. She checked her equipment again. She’d grabbed everything she could put into saddlebags and was probably bulletproof just from the layers of tools and electronics wrapped around her. “We cannot hold this position for long.”

“They’re coming,” Captain Glint said, holding up a hoof.

It took me a moment to hear it myself, the dull thrum of storm engines getting louder and louder, the rumble a steady sound underpinning the random crashes of the storm.

“Check your weapons,” Glint ordered.

I poked at DRACO’s screen. The intelligent rifle beeped ready and flashed me a smiling face emoji, chattering in binary about how much ammunition it had and the wear status of its components. I could pick out just enough to know it was happy about being full of bullets and having received plenty of maintenance.

The other gun I had ready was silent, because it wasn’t intelligent. It was a bunch of autorifles strapped together with cable ties, wires, and mechanical linkages, a chimera mashed together by SIVA-infected raiders and able to fire four shots with every pull of the trigger. It was also stuffed full of ammunition and wasn’t picky about what went in the hopper. There were status lights buried inside it that seemed to be promising colors of purplish-green.

“Good to go,” I said.

Cube quickly checked her brace of pistols, two rifles, and various knives. She nodded curtly. Para Medic only had a small pistol. Herr Doktor was carrying something worrying that looked more like industrial electrical equipment than a proper gun and had the largest vacuum tube I’d ever seen. Quattro had her gold armor and rocket launcher. Captain Glint’s twin beam carbines seemed practically sedate and underwhelming compared to what the rest of us carried.

“I don’t want any mistakes,” she said. “Your first priority is staying alive. If you get cornered and have no other options, I’d rather have to break you out of a brig than put you in a pine box. You understand?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Para Medic said. The rest of us chimed in with various levels of enthusiasm.

The Juniper’s prow broke through the cloudbank below us, the beak-like bridge trailing streams of broken fog. The plasma lances and laser batteries glowed in the low light, powered and ready to fire the moment they had a lock. If they hadn’t been looking in entirely the wrong direction, we’d have been in trouble.

“Prepare for boarding!” Captain Glint shouted. She yanked a line, opening vents on the damaged lift envelope above us. My stomach sank, and the Nest entered a crash dive. At the last minute, some automatic system finally managed to see through the interference of the Corridor and the roiling flow. Active defenses turned to face us, blasting a scattering of laser fire. The Raven’s Nest ate it up, the hull shielding us and cracking apart under the force.

We crashed onto the Juniper’s spine, the Nest not even a quarter of its length and a tenth of its mass. The old ship’s keel all but exploded, centuries of repairs coming undone all at once. The Juniper’s hull rang like a bell.

“Move!” Captain Glint shouted.

“The point defenses can’t hit us at this angle,” Cube said. “There are open hatches midway between the spine and the outboard engines!”

A gust of wind caught the deflating gasbag, ripping lines free from the broken hulk of the Raven’s Nest. The canvas and foil balloon whipped back towards the rear of the Juniper before being sucked into the aft stabilizer engine of the tri-storm ship.

“Oh, that’s unfortunate,” Herr Doktor said, just before something exploded. A column of flame exploded along the axis of the engine, and the Juniper started yawing hard to the left.

“Inside!” Glint yelled. I bolted for one of the hatches, Cube pointing the way. It was a wide opening in the top of the ship, an open stairway wide enough for four ponies to stand shoulder-to-shoulder. A troop of marines was already there waiting for us, aiming up with beam rifles and wearing that ornate, gold-trimmed variation of the Enclave standard power armor that Polar Orbit had been issuing to his troops.

The leader (and I knew he was the leader because he had a big hat) pointed to me with the kind of grand drama I expected from anypony taking orders from Polar Orbit.

“Fire!” he yelled.

The crack of beam rifles filled the air. I charged. I had to go forward because the ponies behind me were more fragile than I was. I focused, forcing energy through the thaumoframe buried in my body and inside my armor. A shield shimmered to life in front of me.

Most of the beams were stopped by the field. A few made it through and hit armor. The luckiest hit managed to scorch a hot line along my jaw. I was starting to regret not wearing a helmet, but it felt wrong without Destiny there. Before they could get off more than a few shots each, I was among them. The firing line collapsed, and discipline went with it.

DRACO was too slow-firing and too inaccurate at this range. I opened up with the multi-barreled Cerberus on my side and fired a barrage in a wide arc, catching a few of the ponies. I was in hoof’s reach of the marines. I punched one to try and knock him out of the way. The power field around my hoof activated.

He exploded.

“Oh shoot,” I said.

“Keep firing!” the leader yelled. I’d effectively gotten their attention, that was for sure. A beam hit him in the neck, and he stumbled back, gurgling. Pistols flew in, surrounded by auras and firing into the packed formation. More shots came down from the top of the ramp, Captain Glint firing shockingly accurate bolts into joints and seams on the armor even as she wove from side to side to avoid return fire.

Quattro fired once, a rocket hitting the deck under two marines and throwing them to the side, bleeding from shrapnel wounds.

A massive bolt of blue and yellow lighting crashed through the center of the marines’ lines, exploding in a way that electricity absolutely should not.

“Aha!” Herr Doctor crowed. “The ball lightning gun works even better than expected!”

The few remaining marines backed up, retreating away from the scene of carnage. I stopped and let them go, only firing a few shots to encourage them to keep going.

“Clear, for now,” Cube reported. She kicked the leader of the marines. “Jerk.”

Para Medic looked a little sick. I don’t think she fired a single shot. I can’t blame her too much for that.

“We need to secure the bridge,” Captain Glint said. “Once we have control there, we’ll be able to control the rest of the ship.”

“Not necessarily,” Herr Doktor warned. “We should focus on Engineering! Even if the aft engine is not as damaged as it seems, they could easily set the arcana reactor to self-destruct or reroute controls there. If we take the bridge, we may find ourselves locked in with nowhere to go!”

“We’ll split up,” I said. Captain Glint nodded.

“Chamomile and I will go to the bridge,” Cube said. “I don’t want her near anything that might explode. You and Quattro can escort the other two to Engineering.”

“Are you sure?” Quattro asked.

“I’m showing you I trust you,” Cube said. “Miss Glint can’t protect two ponies and take over half the ship on her own.”

Quattro smiled and nodded. “Thank you, I think.”

The ship started yawing the other direction, the sudden change making us all stumble.

“Let’s move,” Captain Glint said. “I crashed one ship today and don’t intend to repeat the performance.”


The door to the bridge was ornate and decorated with delicate gold trim and wood panels. Hoof-lettered words had been painted on it, along with delicate red pinstripes that nearly disguised the fact they were gilding a hatch strong enough to keep out all but the most dedicated boarders and withstand the worst disasters the designers could imagine.

Ponies back then didn’t have enough imagination to picture what would happen to it. The decorations were blasted away like cake fondant meeting a sandblaster when I knocked. Sure, my hooves were covered in a destructive energy field at the time but that’s still no excuse for poor build quality.

“He’s in there,” Cube said. “I can sense his mind. There’s somepony else too, but…”

My little half-sister frowned, looking annoyed.

“If I’m causing some kind of psychic interference I can take a couple steps back,” I offered.

She shook her head. “It’s not you. Something in there is messing with me.”

“Special forces with special training to hide their thoughts?”

Cube raised her eyebrows. “That would be incredibly paranoid, and I think we used up all the marines already.” She glanced back at the corridor behind us and the destruction we’d left there.

“That’s what you said after the last two fireteams,” I reminded her. They weren’t a serious danger to either of us, but I didn’t like having to fight ponies that Cube knew, even if only distantly. I could feel it weighing on her.

“He took on more troops since I was here. They probably needed a few extra squads to make up for losing me, you know.”

I grunted. I smacked the door again with a powerhoof. It was denting, but even I could recognize I was more likely to get it jammed and make it more difficult than to do anything useful. I took a step back and flicked my forehoof, extending my lightning claws. Sparks danced along the edges of the blades.

“The more time we give him to be clever, the more likely we are to have to kill him,” I said. “I’d rather take him alive.”

“Really?” Cube asked, looking significantly at my claws.

“I know it’s important to you, and that’s enough for me,” I told her. Cube nodded in silent thanks, and I slashed at the door, trying to find the locking mechanism. The hardened metal parted like butter. Hydraulic seals failed, the door bleeding out into the corridor with spurts of oil. Cube grabbed the edge I’d created and pulled, forcing it open wide enough for us to pass.

The bridge was almost like I remembered it. Wide and shaped like a shallow bowl, with graceful arcs of wood panels containing the controls and screens needed to operate the Juniper. All of them were on automatic, the crew having fled before we arrived. I retracted my claws and we walked in, the soft carpet and indirect lighting reminding me of the resort back in Gator World.

If the world wasn’t at stake, I’d say I made a stupid mistake not staying there.

“I suppose I should say something dramatic,” Polar Orbit said. He stood next to his swiveling chair, looking back over his shoulder at us. “Ever since Cube left, I’ve been pondering exactly what to say and do. In the end I wasn’t able to find the right words. You already know why I’m doing this. I know why you’re doing what you’re doing. They’re simply incompatible goals.”

Cube glanced at me, then stepped forward.

“Captain… Dad. Please surrender. I don’t want to fight you.”

Polar Orbit chuckled grimly. “And I really don’t want to fight you. In fact, I don’t intend to do it at all. Throwing away my life in some grand gesture would only hurt you, and I am not a cruel pony. I am, however, a pony that spent several days thinking about how to survive this encounter.”

He turned the chair around, revealing my father. Red Zinger was tied up, gagged, and wearing a vest with a concerning number of blocks of high-explosive strapped to it.

“I’m wearing a heart rate monitor that will set the bomb off if it stops,” Polar Orbit explained. “Again, I don’t expect this bomb to hurt you, but it will kill Red Zinger and severely damage the controls here, effectively scuttling the Juniper.”

“This only delays things,” I warned him. “A hostage situation is bad for everypony. It means you’re out of ideas and stalling for time.”

“You’re half right!” Polar Orbit agreed. “It keeps me from losing, but doesn’t help me win. For that, I have the second part of my plan. Ladies?”

The air shimmered, and two alicorns appeared in a shimmering burst of blue light. They were almost identical to the one I’d fought a lifetime ago in the ruins of an old shopping mall, but green and looking even smugger than before.

<WE REMEMBER YOU,> one of them said, her mouth not moving.

Cube winced. “They’ve got some kind of psychic static! That’s why I couldn’t sense them before!”

<YOU ARE SIMPLY UNABLE TO COMPREHEND THE POWER OF A GODDESS’ MIND,> they intoned royally. <WE OWE YOU FOR THE HUMILIATION WE SUFFERED.>

“How’d you get them to sign on?” I asked Polar Orbit, watching the two alicorns cautiously. They didn’t seem to be in a rush to attack. They were enjoying watching us squirm. “Don’t tell me Cozy Glow is their friend too?”

“They wanted ponies untouched by the radiation and horrors of the wasteland for some project,” Polar Orbit said. “Cozy Glow traded some of the Exodus Red’s crew that were still in stasis for their help.”

“She did what?” Cube gasped. “Doesn’t she care about what’s going to happen to them?!”

“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few,” Polar Orbit said. “Once she’s in control of the Enclave, it will be a new golden age for all ponies. We all have to make sacrifices.”

“You take the green one, I’ll take the other green one,” I whispered to Cube.

“Right,” Cube said, totally ignoring me because she was smarter than I was and we both knew it. The two alicorns watched us imperiously.

“You know, I met a real alicorn when I was in Limbo,” I said loudly, getting their attention. “Flurry Heart. She was so powerful that they haven’t invented words that properly describe it. It’s like how numbers stop having names after a while and you have to switch to scientific notation. That’s what she’s like. You’re like… a filly’s idea of what an alicorn would be like when the strongest pony they know is their mom and the smartest pony they know is their teacher.”

<YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW POWERFUL WE ARE,> the alicorns said.

Now, a clever pony might be wondering why I was trying to banter with the alicorns, and even a stupid pony would question why I was saying things that would definitely piss them off. The answer is that I was watching Cube line up her shots while the two alicorns watched me.

A barrage of laser fire from a half-dozen floating rifles and pistols cracked through the air and splashed uselessly against magical shields.

<DID YOU THINK YOU COULD SURPRISE A GODDESS?>

“I was hoping,” I admitted, before switching to plan C and charging the nearest one. She vanished before I got there, and I skidded to a halt, the carpet catching on fire from the residual power field around my hooves. I spun around to look for her and a blast of green lightning caught me in the side, flinging me into a wall of consoles and smashing a display.

<HOPE IS FOR PONIES THAT LACK POWER.> The alicorn reappeared next to her sister. Standing right next to each other I could just barely tell a difference between them, mostly in attitude. One had the tiniest smug smile, and the other had the smallest disgusted frown.

I shook off the moment of disorientation that came from being hit with something very much like a truck. DRACO beeped and fired on automatic, explosive shells hitting the alicorn’s shield. They should have been able to crack tank armor. They weren’t doing a whole lot, and it took me a moment to sense why.

My whole body was an antenna that could sense magic, and I could feel the connection between the two green alicorns. They were reinforcing each other’s shields!

That felt like cheating.

“Fight fair!” I yelled. Cube peppered their shield with blasts. In theory it would keep their heads down. In practice, it was just creating a light show. Then again, a light show had worked last time. I tapped DRACO’s screen with my wing, selecting a different option. The concussive beats from high-explosive rounds faded and was replaced with bursts of hot smoke.

Another bolt cracked through the air, the force pushing the smoke aside. I jumped into the air. I’ll give dragon wings one big plus over pegasus wings -- for those of us who are big and heavy and strong, they’re way better at leveraging our strengths. I spun in midair and hit the ceiling with my hooves, sticking in place. I thought that might give the alicorns some pause, but they didn’t miss a beat. Another bolt cut through the opaque smoke with deadly accuracy. I had to let go to avoid it, dropping down with claws extended and slashing, hitting only empty air.

The smoke cleared, and the alicorns weren’t where I’d left them.

“Cube?” I asked.

“I didn’t see them leave,” she said. “They must have teleported again!”

They reappeared in a blue flash on the far side of the room.

“Can you keep them from teleporting?” I asked, backing up to stand next to my half-sister.

She nodded. “I can cast an interference ward. Their magic is strong, but not strong enough to ignore mine.”

The alicorns fired the spells they’d been charging. I got in front of Cube and braced myself, shielding my body with my wings as much as possible. One bolt deflected off a rough shield spell I managed to get up in time, but the bolts were staggered by a fraction of a second, and that first blow tore the shield apart and opened the way for the second hit.

Green lightning raked across my armor, not blasting me away but instead superheating and shattering the metal along my right side. DRACO’s mount exploded under the force, the gun dropping to the ground with a confused series of error beeps.

“I’ve got the warding up, take them down!” Cube yelled.

I charged, leaving the rifle behind. I reached out for one of the alicorns and she vanished before I got there. My claws scraped at the edges of something. I stumbled and caught myself on one of the plush chairs at the duty stations on the bridge.

“What happened?” I demanded.

“It should have worked!” Cube protested. “I didn’t feel any teleportation at all!”

“Then where’d she go?!”

<WE’RE RIGHT HERE.>

Lime-colored death rays smacked into my shield and I was glad again that they were about as stupid as I was with letting their enemies banter and thinking up cool lines before they attacked. For me it made fighting feel a little less like murder. For them, it was probably just so they could taunt me for being stupid.

DRACO whistled from across the room and fired, bouncing smoke grenades off of the ceiling and wall to have them fall next to me, managing to bank the shot despite the angle it had fallen at. Flares joined them in a second volley, making the back of the bridge a maze of impenetrable light and shadow.

“Good gun,” I whispered, trying to quietly take a couple of steps to the side on the soft carpet and evaluate my options. I know I didn’t make any real noise. I know they couldn’t see through the smoke from where they were. An impossibly-accurate braided beam of fire slashed at me. I let my wired reflexes take over and kicked the chair next to me, smashing it off the bolts holding it to the floor and into the path of the beam, at the same time allowing the recoil from the move to throw me faster than my wings could carry me.

The scorching ray slashed into wood panels and set them on fire. The chair exploded in midair, a hole punched clean through it and followed by a shockwave that tore it apart from the inside.

I was starting to think they might be real alicorns, or using some kind of magic that I couldn’t understand. They were teleporting even with a ward up, they could see right through smoke and flares, and they weren’t letting me get close.

The smoke near the ceiling moved. A stream of stray vapor from the bank shots DRACO had made was pushed aside by an unseen force. Instinct told me to jump, and I did, pouncing at something I couldn’t see. My hooves touched invisible fur. I hit the ceiling, and my new dance partner took the hit for me.

Blood exploded from thin air around my claws. It splashed on me and the thing I was holding against the roof and outlined its struggling form. A shimmering wave of blue washed over the empty space, revealing the mortally wounded alicorn.

<YOU IMPUDENT->

I yanked my claws to the sides and let her fall, both down and apart.

“There was a third alicorn giving them overwatch!” I yelled over to Cube. “They weren’t teleporting, they were using invisibility spells!”

The two green alicorns’ faces twisted in rage and they tilted their heads together, touching the tips of their horns. A spark grew at the point where they connected. The air turned electric with potential.

The spell suddenly sputtered and failed.

“What’s wrong?” Cube taunted. “Did somepony get their little spell countered?” Her horn blazed. I could see sweat running down her forehead. She had their full attention, and they’d just lost the extra set of eyes warning them about danger.

I dropped down on them and hit the shield around the two. Sparks exploded between my hooves and the arcane shield, the spell trying to absorb and deflect and stay rigid. The shield rippled, both alicorns working together and melding their spells into one. The sound when the energy field collapsed was like broken glass. I dropped down on top of them, and my claws were stopped by a horn surrounded by the harsh blue glow of a power field. Waves cracked down the length of the alicorn’s horn, the alicorn’s massive magical strength holding back my brute force.

The second alicorn moved while I was distracted, casting the same spell as her sister and tossing her head in a wide arc, trying to strike me with her horn. I kicked away from the blade lock, narrowly avoiding the flanking strike.

“You girls learn quickly,” I said, looking them over. I hadn’t hurt them at all, though the sparks from our crossing blades had set the carpet on fire.

<YOU’RE SIMPLY TOO SLOW, MORTAL.>

“I didn’t know I was boring you. I’ll make this fast.” I let my implants kick in and the world slowed to a crawl. The flicker of the flames stopped, leaving them frozen in the air. I surged through the ice-cold air at the alicorns. They started casting something else, rings of runes appearing as fast as they could think them.

My claws were a hoof-length away from the nearest of the pair when the spell was completed. She jerked back, suddenly animated again. My claws scraped the side of her face, opening long cuts that didn’t have time to bleed yet.

I kept up the pressure, hoping they couldn’t think as fast as they could move. We were matched for speed but I was the reigning champion of being stupid very quickly. The two alicorns traded blows with me, dancing across the bridge and climbing onto the graceful swoop of the control terminals.

The two had better reach than I did -- even when we were standing on the same level they were attacking from higher ground since they were using their heads. Their weapons being attached to their faces also made them extremely careful. One bad parry or thrust and they’d have literally stuck their necks out.

Still, the two of them were highly coordinated, and if their attacks weren’t so telegraphed and slow I would have had a harder time defending. I dodged to the side of a thrust, turned to block a strike from the second sister, and the attack I’d missed turned into a blast of energy, slashing forward and hitting the forward window of the bridge.

In slow motion, Polar Orbit turned to look. The armored glass shattered.

I caught the throat of the alicorn that had overextended herself to fire the shot. The one I’d struck before tried to hit me with a wild slash, and I rolled away, kicking the slowly falling body of her sibling toward her. She stopped herself just before her attack could hit her mortally wounded twin, the power field around her horn winking out.

We caught each other’s gaze, and it was all over.

Time started flowing again, and I yanked my claws free of the dead alicorn, blood spraying wildly into the air. Glass rained down on the deck, and the wind rushed in. Polar Orbit turned around to see me.

“You…” he started. “I suppose I underestimated you. I apologize. I know I was trying to kill you, but I feel rude that I assumed that would have been enough overwhelming force.”

“I’m sure you’re torn up inside!” I yelled over the storm outside. “Cube, can you get my dad free?”

“Stop,” Polar Orbit warned. He held up the detonator. “Before you do anything, you should know this is a dead mare’s switch. If I let go or he gets too far away, it will set the bomb off.”

“Dad, please surrender,” Cube sighed. She floated over a knife and started cutting the ropes holding my father in place. I could tell she wasn’t happy about this arrangement. “I know Chamomile looks like a crazy berserker but she’s a good pony and she’ll let you go if you give up now. Right, Chamomile?”

That last question was very pointed. I nodded in affirmation, sheathing my claws.

“We’re not friends, but we can stop being enemies,” I told him. “I already had to kill like, a lot of ponies today and I’m not super jazzed about that. If we can all be cool, nopony else has to get hurt.”

Polar Orbit shook his head. “You don’t understand. My life doesn’t mean anything. I live to serve Equestria’s new ruler. She is going to fix everything, and if I am willing to kill for her, I must also be willing to die.”

He closed his eyes and I knew what he was about to do. I grimaced and an awful sound came out of me like a giant scaly cat hocking up a hairball. I spat a wad of glue at Polar Orbit and caught his hoof, sealing the detonator firmly in his grip inside a ball of quick-setting epoxy.

“I…” he blinked. I saw him lose a significant part of his composure. “I was not expecting that.”

“I’m full of many useful things.”

“Nice fight,” Cube said. She’d put away most of her guns and knives into what was less a series of holsters and more the world’s more dangerous skirt. “I didn’t see what happened at the end. You and the alicorns were just a blur.”

“They had some kind of haste spell, but they didn’t seem very practiced at it.”

Cube shrugged and finished cutting my father free. He pulled the gag out of his mouth. “Chamomile, I…” he trailed off, unable to look me in the eye. The last time we’d spoken, it hadn’t gone well.

“Can you get that vest off him?” I asked Cube, ignoring my dad. I didn’t have anything to say to him.

“I don’t know,” Cube said. She tugged at it, and I saw Polar Orbit twitch.

“Stop. He’s got it rigged somehow.”

Polar Orbit shrugged, acknowledging it as the truth.

“We’ll get Herr Doktor to look at it once she’s done in Engineering,” I said. “Until then we should put both of them in a closet or something where we don’t have to worry about them.”

“I’m afraid we won’t be going anywhere,” Polar Orbit said. “I’d be a fool to only have one detonator.”

He produced a second switch and pressed it. A green light on the bomb vest wrapped around my father turned angry red. My dad shoved Cube away and tackled Polar Orbit, vest beeping in alarm. They went out of the broken window, falling out of sight.

I hadn’t moved. I was frozen in place, shock making my knees wobble.

In that last moment, Dad had looked back at me. I think he said something. I couldn’t hear it over the rush of wind. And then he was gone.

There was a sharp thump.

I ran over to the window. I couldn’t see anything. The storm had just swallowed them up. I stood there for what must have been almost a full minute, letting the rain and wind leaking in fall on me.

“Chamomile, come in,” Captain Glint’s voice came over the intercom. “We’ve secured Engineering. Report your status if you can.”

“We’re fine,” Cube said, stepping over to a panel and hitting it, answering for me. “We just… we need a few minutes.”

“Understood.”

Cube walked over and sat next to me.

“Which one of us is supposed to apologize first?” she asked.

I snorted, started laughing, started crying, and she hugged me. I felt tears on her cheeks.

PreviousChapters Next