• Published 16th Feb 2021
  • 1,293 Views, 370 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Blue Destiny - MagnetBolt



Far above the wasteland, where the skies are blue and war is a distant memory, a dark conspiracy and a threat from the past collide to threaten everything.

  • ...
11
 370
 1,293

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17 - Take Control

It wouldn’t be right to say the lightning was just flashing constantly around us. Most ponies would probably think of the worst storm they’d ever been in, and think I meant a thunderbolt coming down every few seconds. Maybe at worst it’d be like a slow strobe light, flash after flash cutting through the dark.

The lightning around the SPP tower was continuous, flowing like water out of a faucet. It wasn’t flash after flash, it was a never-ending spray of energy into the sky, reaching out from the tower and snapping from one spot to another, sometimes a hundred jagged tendrils reaching out to the storm wall a half-mile out from the massive structure, sometimes a single massive stroke of lightning sweeping in a slow circle.

“I thought this was supposed to be the eye of the storm!” I shouted over the constant snapping roar. “Isn’t the eye of a big storm supposed to be calm?!”

“It is calm!” Quattro shot back. “No wind!”

True, there weren’t any tornado-force gusts cutting through, but the air stank of ozone so thickly it was probably toxic.

“Any luck finding the door?” Emerald asked.

“This part of the map is particularly loose on detail,” Destiny said. “Let’s circle around one more time!”

“Do you have any idea how little I want to circle around?!” I yelled. “We’re lucky we haven’t been fried yet!”

“I told you, this is a blind spot where the lighting never--” a streak cut between us as we flew in formation, so close I could feel the magnetic backwash in my teeth. “--almost never goes!”

“I see something!” Emerald pointed. “There, in the shadows!”

I narrowed my eyes, trying to see through the shifting light. A mark on the tower’s outer surface, in the shade where it was protected from the elements by part of the SPP’s structure. A mark like two ‘D’s facing each other.

“Maybe he got lost too!” Quattro said. “That must be the hatch!”

We flew closer, swooping low. We were almost on top of it before I could make it out, a hatch in the tower wall, painted the same as the rest and set so closely into it that it was almost invisible. I reached for the recessed handle.

“Wait, stop!” Destiny warned. “There’s a massive static charge. Let me get it with magic.”

The handle lit up with red magic and turned, the hatch squealing as it swung in.

“Don’t touch the sides,” Destiny said. “The tower is like a giant Hayden Jar. It’ll discharge and fry you if you poke it wrong.”

“Good to know,” Quattro said, tucking her wings as she swooped inside. Emerald followed and, like usual, I took up the rear, kicking the door closed behind me. “No accidents? Thank buck for small favors.”

“I hope the trip back will be easier,” Emerald muttered. She shook rust and water from her white armor. It was already staining in the corners. The inside of the tower wasn’t what I expected. Dull orange emergency lighting ran in strips along the corridor walls, which curved just enough that it made you deeply aware you couldn’t see the ends.

Quattro grinned. “Now that we’ve done it once we know what to expect. Lightning, razor storms, and the undead.”

Something on the wall caught my attention. I brushed dust off a brass plate dulled by time.

“SPP Tower Number 0 prototype…” I read. There was a dedication date along with engraved signatures, maybe half of which I could even read. Rainbow Dash’s was the largest, right in the middle and twice the size of the others.

“There are a ton of stories about this place,” Emerald said. “I heard it never worked properly, so when they tried to turn it on and make clouds, all they got was this thunderstorm that that can’t turn off.”

“I heard it’s haunted,” Destiny said.

“Haunted?” I gasped. Something tickled at the back of my mind. “Wait a minute…”

“Well there’s at least one ghost, right?” Destiny giggled.

Quattro patted my side. “You’re a treasure, Cammy. Does anypony see any horrible monsters?”

“No,” I said, looking both ways down the corridor.

“That’s a nice change. So if you were a treasure hunter, which way would you go?”

“Right,” I said, without hesitation.

“That was fast. Any particular reason?”

“I can see a broken lock over there.”

Emerald and Quattro turned to look. One of the doors a little further down the curved hallway had obviously been tampered with. The panel next to the door had been pried open, and sparks from crossed wires had caught my attention.

“Good eye!” Emerald said with approval.

We trotted up towards it, and I could feel the floor moving under my hooves. Not a lot, just a tiny sway from side to side, a lot like the docked ships back in town. With how tall and thin the tower was, I had no idea how it stayed up. Whatever techniques they used, they worked, because even at the center of the storm it had stayed up for almost two centuries with no maintenance.

“The door controls are busted,” Quattro said, after poking them for a moment. “It looks like he jammed some kind of fuse in here and it shorted out.”

I stepped up to the door, trying to look through the tall, narrow window at head height. Well, head height for an average pony so I had to sort of slump down a little to see. “I wonder what kind of salvage you’d even find in a place like--”

Something slammed against the door. I threw myself back, expecting necromancy or a chainsaw claw made of living metal or something even worse. The dark shape pounded on the door again, then backed up and turned on a flashlight, pointing it at their own face. It was just a normal pony, who looked relieved to see us, tired, thirsty, and generally unhealthy.

“Oh hey! We found him right away!” Destiny said. “That’s a change of pace.”

Emerald put her ear to the door for a moment. “I think the door’s soundproof.”

“We’ll need to find a paper and pencil so we can write a message and let him know we’re here to help.”

My radio crackled. “Hello?”

“Or he could have a walkie-talkie,” Quattro said. “Hello, sir? Can you hear us?”

“Thank buck,” the stallion said. “Did my husband send you?”

“Yeah,” I said. “Can you pop the door open from your side? The controls out here are broken.”

“I wish. I’ve been stuck in here for days,” Double Dealer groaned.

“No way we’re going to be able to pry it open without leverage,” Emerald said.

“The problem is the lack of power,” Double Dealer said. “If you can restore main power, it’ll trip the breakers and I’ll be able to open the door.”

“Any idea how we do that?” I asked. “This is a big place, you know.”

“You need to get to Ops. The tower doesn’t have as much floorspace as you think - it’s mostly scaffolding and pipes.” Double Dealer pressed up against the small window and tried to look out into the hallway. “I can’t see it from here, but if you go around a little more you’ll find a way into the core. Ops will be up from there.”

Emerald nodded firmly. “We’ll be back, sir.”

“Just hang in there,” I added.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he joked.

We walked a quarter-turn around the deck, and it was… quiet. The walls were thick enough to turn the rumble of thunder into distant white noise. No alarms, no roaring wind. Just our hooves clanging against the deck. There was a strange hushed sense to it all, like it was wrong to break the silence even with our hoofsteps.

“This must be the way,” Quattro said, the yellow mare sounding subdued. She turned the wheel lock and pulled the hatch open. There was no blast of wind or rush of noise, and I stepped out first into the open space in the middle of the tower. Sunlight shone down from above, and I shielded my eyes for a second before the helmet adjusted for it.

The first thing I noticed were the pipes, because it was impossible to miss them. Every surface was covered with vertical pipes, some of them thicker than I was, others as fine as pencils and bundled up together like they needed protection against the stouter pipes running alongside them. Frost flaked from some, others leaked steam, and there was something almost alive about the whole arrangement.

I looked down.

“Woah,” I whispered.

The steel mesh catwalk I was standing on left nothing to the imagination. The open space in the middle of all those pipes went all the way up, and all the way down. I couldn’t even see the bottom. More catwalks and stairs and ladders dotted the walls, slowly spiraling its way through the vertical abyss. I pictured somepony taking a wrong step on one of those steps and just… never hitting the ground. Falling forever.

“How did ponies ever build something like this?” Emerald asked, shaking her head in wonder. It was one thing to see the towers from a distance. Just sheer white walls. It was hard to remember it was a machine.

“A lot of work and a lot of money,” Destiny said. “I remember… one thing the war did, that nopony expected... All the ponies with similar cutie marks ended up together, working on the same projects. Instead of a hundred geniuses working in isolation, only able to manage what they could with their own hooves, you got things like this. A century’s worth of progress condensed into a decade.”

“A real golden age,” Quattro said.

Destiny went quiet.

“So, Ops is supposed to be above us, right?” Emerald looked up. “Think that’s it?”

A room hung out over the abyss, dark windows looking out into the drop fearlessly. I don’t know why, but looking into those windows, I thought I could feel something looking back.


“Wow, this place is not what I expected,” Emerald said.

Ops was set up with rows of beige computer banks facing the windows, the screens black and only a few of the lights and dials showing any life at all. Papers and office kitsch littered the floor. I picked up a baseball and gave it a few tosses up and down before storing it away. Maybe I’d need to be a pitching machine someday.

“Any idea where to start?” Quattro asked.

“Everything’s labeled, let’s just look for a big red button that says ‘Main Power’,” I suggested, pushing a chair out of the way and walking down a row of terminals.

“I’ve got… pump controls over here,” Emerald reported. “I think this row is all water-related.”

I scanned the dials and buttons. “I don’t know what this is… wait, no. This has to be communications, right? This is the channel, and they’ve got a headset and microphone…”

“Those are radio controls,” Destiny confirmed. “The SPP towers were huge structures placed almost evenly all over Equestria. Perfect for piggybacking on some radio and surveillance equipment.”

“Surveillance? So these monitors are for cameras?” I asked.

“Sure. It was an open secret that the Ministries could use the towers to get a view of anything they wanted. It made a lot of ponies paranoid.”

“I think I found the power controls!” Quattro called out. “Let’s just flip this…”

There was a distant rumble, and I actually felt the tower steady under us, the tiny bit of swaying coming to a halt. A moment later, the lights above us flickered on and I heard the air conditioning kick in. A few of the screens flickered and turned on, text scrolling across them.

“Looks like that did it,” Emerald said. “Nice work.”

“Don’t give me too much credit,” Quattro said. “It was literally a big switch marked ‘main breaker.’”

“If this doesn’t work, I’ll look around for a crowbar,” I said, turning around to walk back to the door. “There has to be something around here--”

“Hold on,” Destiny said. “I just saw something.”

“What?” I asked.

“There, on the console.” Destiny said. “You see that flashing light?”

“Uh…” A few of them were lit up now that power was restored. It took me a minute to figure out which one she meant. “What about it?”

“That’s an active data link. Somepony is trying to access the local database!”

“Is it Double Dealer?” Emerald asked, stepping closer to look.

“One second. I just need to fake a log-in…” Red light played over the keys, and the terminal glitched and started displaying garbage text. A few seconds later, and Destiny was scrolling through menus. “The access requests are coming from the surface. Some of them are pretty old, I think they’re backlogged from when the tower went to emergency power only. The data link is still open, though.”

“It was probably just ponies running tests,” Quattro offered. “This was a prototype test machine, remember? If I was going to run a stress test or something dangerous, I’d probably want to do it from outside the tower.”

“No, they were just copying and accessing files,” Destiny said. “Weird. It looks like they were trying to delete security logs.”

“Why would they do that?” I asked.

“Only one way to find out! Let’s see what they were trying to get rid of…”

An image flashed onto the monitors, showing Ops. I looked back over my shoulder and spotted the camera mounted in the corner that had taken the picture. Instead of us standing in a disused, dusty control room, the Ops on screen showed what seemed like a few ponies on night shift, sipping coffee and clustered around the same security monitor we were looking at.

A thin voice came out of the dry and ancient speakers next to the screen.

“I’m just saying it’s strange,” the first mare said.

“Strange comes with the job,” the other one retorted, with a shrug. “We’re just following orders, right? What’s the first thing you’re taught?”

“If we don’t understand the orders we’re given, that’s the most important time to follow them to the letter,” the first mare sighed. “I don’t like it. First Pinkie tells us to gather evidence on BrayTech, now she wants us to bury it?”

“I don’t know if you looked at any of the recordings from the tower cameras--”

“Of course I did. And so did you.”

“--My point is, what did we keep seeing? Ministry mares. Mostly Twilight Sparkle, but Rarity and Pinkie Pie were there too.”

“Even though they were seen at Ministry hubs on the other side of Equestria on those same days.”

The first mare shrugged. “Whatever’s going on, it must be big. Pinkie probably wanted some kind of insurance and now that she doesn’t need it, she wants to make sure ponies never find out she was here at all.”

“But there’s nothing about her being here in the internal reports, either!”

“That just proves it must be really big,” the first mare said firmly. “Now hurry up and delete the records. I don’t want to get on--”

The video just stopped, the screen cutting to black.

“What did you do?” I asked.

“That wasn’t me,” Destiny said. She tapped a few keys. “I think that command came from the surface link. There’s no way somepony was just sitting around waiting for it to reconnect for that long… some kind of automated system?”

Symbols started appearing on the screen. It reminded me of something I’d been shown once that was halfway between a puzzle and a toy, a bunch of solid rainbow triangles of different sizes and shapes that you could fit together and try to make shapes out of, like a bird or a boat or a house.

“You’re not doing that either?” I asked.

“Nope,” she said slowly. “There’s something familiar about it…”

“Down!” Quattro shouted.

A laser blast went right over my head. I decided down sounded like a really solid plan of action. I dropped behind the wall of consoles before the next burst could find me. When I peeked over the edge, I saw a turret had dropped down near the door, spraying beams of red light across the room. I ducked down again before it could switch from shooting at Quattro to me.

“Please don’t get shot in the head again,” Destiny said. “I don’t have the right parts to fix another traumatic brain injury.”

“Is it that dangerous? I’ve been shot by lasers…” I paused, tried to count. “A bunch? At least three or four times. More than the average pony.”

“These are a higher power grade,” Destiny said. “They’re drawing power directly from the tower’s power grid!”

“Are you still near the security systems?” Emerald asked, from where she was hiding. “See if you can find the controls!”

“On it!” I peeked at the blinking lights, trying to make sense of them. Every time I looked at the screens with their collections of moving and interlocking triangles, something tickled in the corner of my brain like I should know it somehow. I had to force myself to look away and focus on the switches and dials.

“I’m getting a reading from the console--”

“I can read too,” I protested. “This one is it, right? Laser bank control, gas exchange… which one shuts down the turret?”

“Not that kind of reading! The relays are set to overload!”

I froze. “Does that mean--”

The terminal exploded. I didn’t really think about it much at the time because of the shrapnel and fire and the lasers just above my head but who would make a computer that could just explode like that? They should just be circuits and relays and wires and stuff but it went off like somepony had packed a bomb inside it. Can you imagine going to work every day and sitting down in front of a bomb just hoping it doesn’t go off while you’re busy filing papers?

Anyway, I was wearing pretty thick armor so the explosion was less of a deadly threat and more of an annoyance.

“Is it just me or did that feel like spite?” I asked.

“It went off because we were going to use it to disable the turret,” Destiny said. “That means this isn’t some random security glitch. Somepony is watching us!”

“Probably through the same camera as that recording,” I said. “So anything we plan, they’ll try to counter…”

I grabbed the rolling chair next to me and just stood up and threw it at the turret without warning. It absorbed a couple shots before exploding into ash, but I was right behind it, flying up into the turret and crashing into it shoulder-first. It tore free of its mountings and fell down in a shower of sparks.

“That’s one way to do it,” Quattro said.

I turned to the camera. It focused on me, lens adjusting with tiny whirring sounds while it tracked my movement. “Hey! I don’t know who’s watching this, but knock it off! We’re not here for whatever you’re trying to hide, we just want to leave!”

The loudspeakers crackled. I expected some kind of alert or a crazy pony ranting about something or at worst a secret ambush by Governor Tilt Fuse, who had somehow returned despite all of us seeing his body and confirming it was not a duplicate, clone, or simulacrum.

Instead, music started playing. It sounded like an old recording, with a lot of static cutting through the soft sound.

It should have just been random notes. It shouldn’t have meant anything. I’d never heard it before.

Quattro sniped the camera with her beam rifle, and the music cut off.

“Hey, Chamomile, are you okay?” Quattro asked. “You look like you saw a ghost.”

“I just…” I tilted my head. “It’s like I could hear words. Like there were supposed to be lyrics in the music but they were invisible…”

“Not okay,” Quattro decided. “We’re getting out of here before we can find more trouble. Come on.”

She tugged on my wing and herded me through the door back into the open pit of the SPP core. With the main power on, the sound of the pumps and fans had doubled.

“I hope we didn’t just make the storm worse,” Emerald said, looking down the shaft like any of us had any clue what the arcane machines around us were doing.

“Once we get Double Dealer out, it might be worth coming back and putting the tower back on emergency power, just in case,” Quattro agreed. “The way here was already pushing it. A small change to conditions outside could trap us here.”

I heard something over the fans and clanging pipes. I turned around, trying to figure out what it was. It was sort of an electrical sound rising in pitch.

“Does anypony else hear that?” I asked.

A solid red beam hit the catwalk and slashed through, slicing the metal apart and leaving glowing white-hot edges. The walkway shifted, starting to buckle.

A slim, dark shape slammed down on it with the sound of a major traffic accident and the metal gave way. I instinctively spread my wings, slowing my fall and landing lightly on top of the twisted debris with Quattro and Emerald. A broken pipe sprayed steam and fog around, making me feel slow and cutting visibility down to almost zero.

“What the buck was that?” I asked.

A dark shape stormed out of the hot steam. It was slim machine shaped like a tall mare in form-fitting black armor.

It looked at me with a single red eye set in an armored face, and most of its head peeled back to reveal a glowing ball of energy. That electrical sound started again, pitch rising to a crescendo.

“I don’t think it’s friendly!” Emerald yelled. She fired at it, drawing its attention to the side. Her beams scored the plated armor, none of them penetrating. The robot fired, the beam cutting through the air. Emerald tossed herself over the edge, flying down and looping under the death machine. It tracked her for a few seconds, then the death beam sputtered to a stop and the armor plates snapped shut over the mechanism again.

“Right, let’s take you--” I charged the robot, and it jumped right over me, leaving me stumbling and flapping my wings trying to bring myself to a halt. “--down?”

The black robot slammed into the catwalk next to Quattro, the force tearing bolts from the wall and making the whole thing start to lean. It moved with unearthly precision and speed, front hooves crackling with electrical power and slamming into Quattro’s side, punching her into the wall of pipes hard enough to dent the steel and spray water into the air that was so cold it turned to sleet when it rained down on us.

Quattro groaned and slumped onto the ground. I could see blood leaking between the plates of her golden armor and dribbling down her side.

I grabbed the machine from behind before it could attack again, trying to pin it down. Emerald swooped back over.

“See what you can do for her!” I growled, struggling with the robot. It was insanely strong, driving an elbow back into me hard enough that I was pretty sure a rib broke. I ignored it, shoving it down onto its knees.

The armor over the head snapped open, and it started charging that beam weapon again, pointing it right at where Emerald was feeding a healing potion to Quattro.

“No!” I got both front hooves around its neck and twisted, forcing its aim away. The deadly magical laser lanced out, just barely missing them, and with that monstrous strength, the machine started twisting, adjusting its aim, bringing the death ray closer.

I screamed in frustration, and my infected right hoof responded. I felt my bones twist again, and the same blade I’d used to kill Tilt Fuse brought itself to bear like a knife, cutting right through my armor when it snapped into place.

I drove it into the robot’s neck, sawing though supports and wires. Something popped loose, and I pulled and yanked, the beam going wild. The head came loose in my hooves, and the body fell to the floor, twitching and sparking. The death beam finally cut out, and I gave the head a sharp punt over the side, letting it fall down into the darkness.

“That was a lot tougher than the average machine,” Destiny said. “How’s your hoof?”

I held it up to have a look. The blade looked like any other polished metal, even if the grip felt more like steel muscles. I flexed something, like trying to move an extra hoof on the end of my leg, and it snapped back into place, sliding back through the tear in the armor it had made getting out of my leg.

“I think I can control it,” I said. “It feels really weird, though.”

“We’ll play around with it later,” Destiny agreed.

“I’d really like to leave,” Quattro said. She got back to her hooves with Emerald’s help. “Whatever it hit me with, that went right through my armor.”

“We need to have Para-Medic take a look at her,” Emerald agreed.

“Let’s grab Double Dealer and go,” I agreed. “Uh… does anypony remember which door we used to get in here?”


“That’s got to be it,” I said. “Look, there’s the broken panel.”

“Third time’s the charm,” Quattro said. “He’d just better not still be stuck in there.”

“Double Dealer, do you read us?” Emerald asked, touching the side of her helmet. “We’re just outside your door. When we restored main power we activated some kind of dormant security systems. We need to leave.”

“Yeah, I noticed!” Dealer snapped. “Did you take out those robots yet? I nearly lost my head when I tried to leave!”

I looked around. “What robots?”

That loud electric whine came from both directions. More of the sleek security robots trotted around the corner, surrounding us. The music started playing again, and again I could almost taste words in it.

“Got any bright ideas?” Emerald whispered.

“Throw Double Dealer at them and hope his husband isn’t too mad when we come back with empty hooves?” Quattro suggested.

“I can hear you, you know,” the pony grumbled.

“It’s… it’s saying…” I muttered, narrowing my eyes. It felt the same as when Destiny had thrown math at me. The computer she’d jammed into my head was doing something. “...it’s ordering them to attack. It’s controlling them.”

“What are you talking about?” Quattro asked.

“I can--” A rush of memory, nothing coherent, just a feeling like a half-remembered dream. “It…” I looked at one of the cameras focused on us. Words came to me from no source, something I’d never learned forcing its way out of my mouth. “It was you who broke my mason plate.”

The robots froze. The music changed timbre.

“Okay, that’s creepy,” Emerald said, looking at the perfectly-still robots standing to both sides.

“What did you do?” Destiny asked.

“I have no idea,” I said. “The music is saying… it’s standing down, I think.”

The robots turned and galloped away. The music faded to a few notes that could have come from a music box. It sounded so familiar.

“I’ve heard that music somewhere,” Destiny said.

“Yeah,” I agreed. “But…”

The main lights shut off, the emergency lighting flickering back to life. Everything dropped into silence.

“Can we please leave and solve the mystery later?” Double Dealer asked. “I haven’t had a decent meal in days.”


“Double Nothing is happy with the outcome,” White Glint said. “And I’m happy to report that when the military came through here, they didn’t find anything strange, because certain ponies were somewhere else on business.”

“Happy enough to pay extra?” Quattro asked. “Did you tell him about the robots and the ghouls and the razor storms? And tell him about the ghouls twice, because on the way back Chamomile had to cut off most of my tail after one bit down and wouldn't let go!”

“Happy enough that he’s going to pull strings to get the warrants on you three buried.” White Glint said. “The official reports will now have them looking for hardened stallion Dashites who were seen fleeing town.”

“Does that mean we can go outside?” I asked.

“It means you can go outside as long as you’re not going to cause trouble,” White Glint agreed. “But you might want to think about getting ready for a little trip.”

I groaned. “Why?”

“A message came in for you,” she said. She produced an envelope, opened, and gave it to me. “This was delivered by courier.”

“You read it?” I asked.

“Of course I did. I wanted to see who knew you were here,” White Glint said. I pulled the letter out and scanned it. “It’s apparently an invitation to visit the Greywings.”

“Who are they?” I asked.

“I’ve heard of them,” Quattro said. “They live near here. Sort of hermit mystic types. They built a little place right at the edge of where clouds will hold together. It’s a tough flight to get there. The air’s so thin it’s like you can’t breathe.”

“Why would they live up there?”

“Got me. You’d have to ask them. And you’ve got the chance to do it!” Quattro smiled.

“The invitation is just for Chamomile,” White Glint said. “It should be safe enough. They’re peaceful. The locals sort of take care of them. They don’t have a lot of space to grow their own food, so they rely on donations. It’s almost like a local religion or superstition.”

“I just want to know how they even heard about me,” I muttered. “I’m not exactly famous.”

“It’s probably a good idea to go,” White Glint said. “I made the flight when I was a young mare. I wanted to figure out what to do with my life.”

“Get any good advice?” I asked.

“I learned that when you’re out of breath enough, you start to hallucinate and even old ponies giving you some water and helping you lie down becomes a real experience,” the mare said. “I mostly got perspective. When you see things from that high up, the Enclave and the ground don’t seem so far apart. You start to think about things…”

She trailed off and shook her head.

“Anyway, I don’t know if they’ve ever invited anypony directly. They must have something pretty important to tell you.”

I huffed. “Great, one more mystery I need to add to the pile. Like where my Mom is, why I knew what that music was, how I knew what to say…”

“This is one you can actually get some answers about,” White Glint reminded me.

“We’ll go,” Destiny said. “We can’t figure out the rest right now anyway, right?”

“Just don’t scare them too badly,” Quattro joked. “At their age, having a ghost around might not be great for their hearts.”

PreviousChapters Next