• Published 5th Feb 2021
  • 6,404 Views, 384 Comments

The Side Character is a Deer - Deergenerate



Johan is a displaced human stuck as a deer. Suffice to say, he doesn't have anything special going for him, which becomes all too apparent when his friend who was displaced beside him becomes the most special person ever. Jealousy arises.

  • ...
33
 384
 6,404

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36: The Wheel Keeps on Turning

Millions of voices cried out in ecstasy as I consumed their souls. And yet the spokes still spun around me. My legions annihilated hundreds of races. And yet the rim rolled over my world, crushing it into dust.

Those who rebelled against me were reforged, gifted mindless loyalty.

The four creators' laws were disregarded and destroyed, remade in my image.

There I stood upon the precipice of the world, finally Apex in all regards.

Then did I stare the creator of creators in the eyes, his equal at last.

That infernal wheel spun in his eyes, moments away from destruction at my hooves.

And yet, now I am dead, and you were dead. And the wheel keeps on turning.


Johan creased his brow, chewing the tip of his tongue as he flipped through the yellowed paged manuscript front to back, then back to front again, a motion he had been repeating often today he found.

"Any luck?" Spike asked, causing Johan to raise his head. He was sitting in the crystal library of Twilight's castle, an ancient book sitting on a table in front of him. To his right was an ever-growing pile of discarded books, all equally or perhaps even more ancient than the one he was reading. To his left, was a comparatively much smaller pile, and a certain purple dragon, who was staring him down with his head cocked to the side.

"Nope," Johan sighed, reaching down and setting the book off to the side as well. "This one stops at a thousand years ago too."

Spike's look of curiosity was quickly replaced by a concerned frown. "You know, I never really gave much thought to this before you pointed it out, but now it's becoming more and more suspicious by the second. I mean... did someone just gather all the books a thousand years ago and torch them all?"

Johan grimaced, rubbing his chin with a hoof. "Maybe? In my world, we had this massive library that burned down, called the Library of Alexandria, something like 2,000 years ago, which did result in us losing much of our history, but it was never as bad as this."

Johan felt Jelen rolling his eyes inside of his head. "I told you as much. For all the importance these equines put on knowledge and magic, they've never been adequate history keepers."

"You know, you really aren't helping," Johan growled, looking up at his forehead. He was quick to turn to Spike afterward, the dragon looking at him with a slight look of betrayal. "Not you Spike, you're great. I'm talking to the voice in the head... and definitely looking crazy in the process."

Johan sighed, while Spike merely chuckled. "It's good man, I've seen much crazier stuff in my time around Ponyville."

Spike leaned forwards, staring down at the pile of fresh, unread books. There were only about five or six left. "Well, these are the last of the really ancient books we have here in the castle-"

"Palace." Johan sighed through clenched teeth. "You need to have actual defenses to be a castle."

Spike carried on regardless. "- and I don't think they'd be of much help. But... that thing you just said. About the Library of Almalexia. We have a kind of similar thing."

"You do?" Johan asked, swiveling in his seat towards him with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah. About a thousand years ago, we had this nation in the north, the Crystal Empire. It has this massive library, one of the biggest I've ever seen in my life. And trust me, I've seen a lot of libraries as Twilight's Assistant." Spike stated, a small smile coming to his face.

"And let me guess, it burned down?" Johan asked, the bags under his eyes growing yet larger.

"Nope!" Spike laughed. "You see, the library, and the whole Empire for that matter magically disappeared a thousand years ago, and just four or five years back it all reappeared as if nothing had happened. We had a big adventure there and everything to defeat an evil king, and now it's one of Equestria's closest allies. Remember Cadance and the white unicorn you met during the world council meeting? They actually are the places, rulers."

Johan's eyes widened and he sat up. "If the empire disappeared a thousand years ago, that must mean that any history books they have there would have to be have gone back farther than a thousand years by default! That's it!" He roared a smile spreading across his lips.

Spike smiled, giving the deer a double thumbs up. "You got it!"

Johan's smile slowly faltered and he sat back down, a grimace coming to his face. "And now comes the work of planning a trip to get up there to check at all. Food, housing, travel expenses... that's going to be a headache."

"Worry not Johan," Spike said, puffing up his chest and arching his back as he did. "You happen to be friends with Spike the brave and glorious, hero of the Crystal Empire. So long as I'm around you don't have to worry about any of that."

Johan paused. "Spike the... what?"

"Don't worry about it," The little dragon laughed, polishing his nails on his right hand on his chest as he did. "Just remember, I'm a bit of a bigger deal than most ponies would think."

Johan nodded slightly, a small smile coming to his face. "Well, then I guess I'd better be thankful to be pals with someone so connected, huh?" He chuckled. "So, when are we going to be good to go?"

Then the voice of Jelen called out. "I wouldn't be so eager. A reminder, U'val still wants to get his hooves on us, remember?"

Instantly Johan froze, all the color leaving his face.

"I mean, we should be good to go tomorrow," Spike replied with a shrug, not seeming to notice. "All I have to do is pack some stuff and ask Twilight for permission. I've got family who owns an entire castle over there after all."

Johan's reply was slow and shaky. "A-actually. I think it'd be best if... if we waited. At least until Twilight's horn's healed. I... I'd be way more comfortable with another alicorn around. Or two."

Spike nodded slightly, and an understanding smile came to his face.

"I understand you man," Spike chuckled slightly. "My jaw still kinda hurts from that backhoof. I kind of agree with you. I'd definitely want Twilight around if one of those guys showed their faces again."

Johan nodded slightly a dry smile growing on his pale face. "How long do you think it'd take for her horn to get all healed up?"

Spike shrugged. "Probably a month at most, but to be honest I've never seen her crack her horn before. She's usually really careful with it. So, for all I know, it could take longer, or no time at all."

Johan grimaced slightly. "Well, I guess sticking around here for another month doesn't sound too bad..." Johan grimaced, rubbing his chin as he did. "Sure, let's head up north in a month when they're both better, what's the worst that could happen?"

Spike chuckled. "Yeah, that's the spirit. Just wait, the month will totally fly by."

Johan nodded, feeling a sense of relief wash over him. The thought of facing another dangerous situation without Twilight's magical abilities was daunting, and the idea of waiting a little longer seemed like the best course of action.

"Thanks, Spike," Johan said, smiling gratefully. "I appreciate your understanding."

"Of course, man," Spike replied with a nod. "We're all in this together. Besides, I've got plenty of things to keep me busy while we wait. I could finally finish that book series I've been putting off, or maybe try out that new recipe for gemstone cupcakes."

Johan couldn't help but smile at Spike's enthusiasm. Despite everything that had happened the past couple days, Spike's positive attitude was contagious and reassuring.

"Sounds like a plan," Johan replied. "I think I'll try to work on figuring out my antlers while we wait. Maybe I can even come up with something that will help us out in the future."

Spike grinned. "Now that's the spirit!"

With that, the two friends settled into a comfortable silence, each lost in their own thoughts and plans for the future. While they couldn't predict what dangers lay ahead, they knew they would face them together, and with Derek and Twilight's help, they would be even stronger.

PreviousChapters Next