• Published 25th Dec 2020
  • 3,139 Views, 3,356 Comments

Harmony of Heroes: Ultimate Multiverse Explorers - Lucar



Several months after her adventures on Popstar, Sweetie Belle decides it's time to start new adventures in new universes

  • ...
9
 3,356
 3,139

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 117: Tournament Part 10: Beginning Of The Quarterfinals

The Luna were very happy to see their alter ego beaten up, especially with such an ironic move as making "stars" rain on her. You want the night? Then have some night in your face! The next best thing would have been to drop the Moon on her which probably could have somehow happened if Sweetie Void had been in the fight.

Although, the ponies remarked that this version of Nightmare Moon was very nerfed compared to the original one. If it had been the original one, then she would have simply remained out of range and blown up the whole arena with a Moon-powered beam, or she would have plunged everything in total darkness and slaughtered everyone while they were blinded. Well, for that last one, maybe the Sunny Day move could have countered it. They couldn't determine if Nightmare Moon's darkness would have been able to absorb Sunny Day's light.

But it obviously would have been too much for the fighters. Full-powered Nightmare Moon would have wiped the floor with them.

Or... with Meganium, at least. Ness was another story. Especially now that he knew PK Starstorm. The fight would be MUCH less in Nightmare Moon's favor. Maybe Ness could even win.

Anyway.

With the end of Round 2, like before, Master Hand gave a few minutes of rest to allow people to relieve themselves or do whatever else.

"Sorry Apple Death, but I'll root for Kirby," Sweetie Void warned her friend.

"What? But what about the CMC's All Fer One And One Fer All?!" Apple Death exclaimed. "Ah mean, we aren't from the same groups of CMC, but we're still CMC!"

Magolor put a hand on the Apple filly's withers. "My dear Apple Death. Let me ask you this: in a fight between your boyfriend and one of your best friends, who would you root for?"

"Oh. Ah see. Fair enough."

"Hey! Kirby is not my boyfriend!" Sweetie Void shouted. "It's just that we went through a lot together and we became very close friends and I don't want to see him lose and... Ugh... Don't start with that! It's already bad enough with Rarity and Void! I still can't believe these two went as far as working together to put up a candlelight romantic dinner under the full Moon right on the roof of Dedede's castle! They even prepared a plate of spaghetti, and Pinkie was there ready to play an accordion!"

Suddenly, her Pinkie Pie was just beside her playing said instrument. "Oh, this is the night, it's a beautiful n-"

She was brutally stopped by the accordion suddenly being incinerated by Sweetie Void. "Don't push it!"

"You are no fun." With a huff, muzzle toward the sky and eyes closed like a snobbish noble, Pinkie walked away. "One day, I will play that song, I tell you! I Pinkie Promised!"

Sweetie Void was left groaning, face hidden behind her legs, the filly not daring to look at her friends who were laughing.

"How did you ruin that dinner?" Phantom eventually asked with a big knowing smirk.

At this, Sweetie Void grinned at her. "Kirby gobbled the whole plate of spaghetti in one go along with the candlelight, and I played the Drunken Sailor with Pinkie's accordion."

Everyone around burst into laughter.

"And it's not over! It turned into a big sea shanty dancing party with the majority of the castle! Halfway through, it turned into a pirate party, with everyone talking, acting, and even disguising as pirates! Even the next day, well after the end of the party, many were still in a pirate mood!"

By now, many were rolling on the floor.

Excepted Rarity who heard everything, had her hooves crossed, and grumbled about ruined hard work.

Then Pinkie whispered to her, "Hey, it wasn't entirely a waste. Sweetie still ended up sharing some fruits with Kirby during the party, and they even danced together. Not the romantic dance you expected, but that's still something."

The reminder made Rarity smile. "You are right. Thank you."

At this moment, Master Hand interrupted all activity. "Is everyone here? Because it's time to start the quarterfinals! Four battles await us!

Sonic versus Link!

Apple Death versus Kirby!

Sweetie Void versus Empoleon!

Incineroar versus Ness!

Let's start the first battle right away!"

And at this, he selected the first arena which revealed to be on Donkey Kong's island judging by the ape's house visible in the background among trees. However, the island looked very different from usual.

It looked frozen. Everything was either covered in snow or trapped in ice.

First, the arena itself was made of a wooden, arched bridge with some snow on it. The bridge was above a pit and was damaged, missing the left extremity. At the right, the bridge was connecting to a circular piece of land with the remains of an ancient stone wall on it. Said wall had two platforms on its face, one at the bottom right above what had been the entrance of whatever building the wall had been part of and one at the top left under a window. No way to know if there were other platforms on the other face of the wall, but a tree could be seen coming from behind, its trunk tilting right so the top ended above the pit that surrounded the piece of land. There were also some rocks at the left of the door, and a round shield was left against the right extremity of the wall. Finally, an Arrow Barrel could be seen at the bottom right, in the pit.

For the background, beside DK's house, all that could be seen at first were snow-covered trees and a frozen river. But further, the mountain with the giant sculpted ape head was present and, at its tallest pic which actually was a volcano, a giant drakkar was resting on the chimney, partially hidden by storm clouds that covered the sky above it.

"Let me guess. All that snow and ice isn't there because it's Winter, right?" Apple Death questioned the primates.

Diddy nodded. "You are right. It was the result of the invasion of the Snowmads, a viking people who used some magic horn to manifest an ice dragon that blew us out of the island and froze everything. They then made the island their new home."

Sweetie Void looked at him with stars in her eyes. "Vikings?!"

"How did that drakkar end up on the top of that volcano?" Tails then asked.

"It could fly, somehow," Diddy answered.

"Ah. Of course. Bowser has flying ships, so why not vikings?" Sweetie Ghoul said with a shrug.


Link appeared on the wooden bridge.

Sonic appeared before the entrance in the wall.

The hedgehog already remarked that the bridge wasn't that wide, so if Link remained on it, then he won't be able to use his usual tactic of running in circles around to rapidly punch his adversary from all sides. And even on the piece of land, with the wall as an obstacle, it would be difficult.

Also, it was freaking cold there! Not his favorite environment at all!

Meanwhile, Link was thinking of plans to manage to land hits on the very fast hedgehog. He got the same conclusion than Sonic about the bridge, and he intended to use this to his advantage. But even with that, Sonic could still run back and forth on the bridge. It was just large enough to allow him to pass beside Link, and Sonic would be able to alternatively attack from the front and from behind in a hit-and-run way.

Thankfully, Link had a way to avoid that.

"GO!"

Link immediately put on the Goron Mask. As a Goron, he was as large as the bridge. No way for Sonic to pass beside him. He will have no choice but to attack from the front. With Sonic's speed, Link wasn't sure if he will be able to keep up, but his chances were much better. The problem with the Goron was that this form was far from being the fastest (when it wasn't rolling).

In a blink of an eye, Sonic ran toward Link, punched him in the belly, and ran back to the wall. Link barely had time to react.

That was exactly what he feared. But at least, thanks to his Goron form, he barely felt the punch. While the Goron's belly was rather soft, it was still like punching an elephant, and the Goron's natural fat also served as a cushion to make the punch even less effective.

Hitting Link's head would be the only way for them to be effective.

So, instead, Sonic opted to use a Homing Attack. It not only hit Link on the head, but it also hurt a lot more than a simple punch, and this made Link take a step back. Then, before Link could recover from this first hit, Sonic attacked again with another Homing Attack, followed by another, and another, the hedgehog not giving the boy time to recover his senses.

The problem with the Homing Attack was that it was very telegraphed, and even in his state, Link eventually managed to punch Sonic, sending his crashing right on the edge of the wall.

After dropping on the ground face down, Sonic muttered, "Ouch... I felt this one. It was like being punched by Knuckles."

Seeing his chance, Link moved from his position in an attempt to smash Sonic while he was still down, but the hedgehog jumped out of the way just in time. Then, Sonic attacked Link's side with a Spin Attack and immediately jumped away before the boy could get him with a swing of the arm.

Now that he was on the piece of land, Link lost his advantage. Sonic could attack him from all directions. So Link turned around to return on the bridge only for Sonic to get in the way. But Link wasn't impressed and curled into a ball to force his way. Sonic countered him with his Spin Dash which actually managed to push Link backward and to hurt him despite the Goron's rock-solid back.

Considering that the Spin Dash was strong enough to damage steel-plated robots (and even the occasional robots made of stronger stuff), it shouldn't be a surprise that even a Goron's rock-like back skin couldn't withstand it.

Understanding that it was no use insisting, Link stopped rolling, got up, and took off the Goron Mask. He briefly thought of putting the Zora Mask instead but quickly decided against it. The Zora form was very agile, especially underwater, but it wasn't really the answer here, and Sonic would out-speed the boomerang-scales and easily avoid them.

As it was, in his current situation, his usual boyself was his best chance.

He also wanted to take an elevated position, so he tried to move toward the lowest platform against the wall, but Sonic stopped him by getting in his way. Link tried to bash the hedgehog with his shield to move him, but Sonic simply jumped before he used his Shooting Star Kick. When Sonic landed, he then Spin Dashed toward Link only for the boy to do a spin attack with his sword, effectively slashing Sonic and pushing him back. Just as he finished his spin, Link then grabbed and threw his boomerang which hit Sonic on the head just as he landed from the previous hit, stunning him. Link then sent his Hookshot which wrapped around Sonic's left arm before he pulled, bringing Sonic to him. Link then slashed him again, the slash sending the hedgehog backward again only for Link to pull again to bring him back to him and restart.

After this happened three times, Sonic finally recovered his senses enough that he was able to catch a Beam Sword before he was pulled again, and the sword clashed with Link's weapon. The clash sent Sonic backward again, and he readied himself to be pulled another time. As he expected, Sonic pulled him again, but this time, not toward himself, but toward the wall, making him crash against it, just beside the group of rocks that was beside the entrance. Before he could recover, Link then took a Deku Nut and threw it at him which releasing him from the Hookshot, stunning him again. Link immediately followed this by throwing a bomb at him which blew him up to crash under the upper platform where he was pierced by a fire arrow which badly burned him.

Despite the burn, Sonic bounced off the underside of the platform to land back on ground and immediately ran away to avoid the explosion of another bomb that Link had just thrown guessing where he would land. Sonic used his hit-and-run tactic to slash Link three times with the Beam Sword that he still had, then did a slide-kick to trip Link while avoiding a retaliating Spin Attack. While Link was on the ground, Sonic jumped and attempted a Spin Dash drop on him like he did against Mario, but Link rolled out of the way and threw his boomerang while getting up. Still Spin Dashing, Sonic rolled away, avoiding the boomerang, and began to roll circles around the wall, faster and faster.

By doing this, he displaced a lot of the snow that covered the ground, blinding Link. Because of this, Link didn't see a giant snowflate-thing arriving which hurt him upon contact. In addition of that, Sonic used the cover of the snow to throw a capsule that he found. The capsule opened to reveal a weapon version of these fire bars like Bowser loved to put in his fortresses.

The displaced snow then cleared, allowing Link to see again only to see Sonic nowhere. He looked everywhere, even upward, seeing a big, helmeted owl passing, but no sign of the hedgehog.

Only for said hedgehog to come down from the sky on a Warp Star, crashing right on the Hero of Time. And right away, while Link was down, Sonic used a Homing Attack to reach him and followed it right away with a Spin Dash while he was on him.

After a couple of second of shredding Link, Sonic jumped away thinking that the boy was down for the count. He was surprised to see that he was still conscious and already getting up, albeit with a lot of difficulty.

"Man, what are you made of? Most kids would already be out after all this," he questioned.

Breathing heavily, Link smiled at him. "I'm not most kids."

"Eh. Right. You did tank that attack that Krystal said could kill a T-Red in one hit. Why am I surprised?"

Sonic barely finished saying that that he already was a blur, and the next instant, Link was punched on the cheek, then on the back, then on the ribs... Despite the attacks, Link raised a fist and punched the ground, summoning a dome of fire with Din's Fire that blew Sonic away while also burning him. However, Sonic quickly recovered and resumed his attacks, seeing that using Din's Fire took a lot out of the already weakened boy.

A couple more punches made Link drop on a knee, but while he was being attacked, Link slowly grabbed another mask, and then put it on.

He transformed.

And promptly caught Sonic's fist just before it could reach his cheek again. Oni Link then raised his head to menacingly glare at the surprised hedgehog.

Sonic tried to free himself, to no avail.

Before he knew it, he was grabbed by the neck and lifted off the ground by the two-meters tall warrior who squeezed him hard to the point that he couldn't breathe.

Then, with what sounded like a roar, Link slammed Sonic on the ground with so much force that it created a small shockwave that displaced all the snow around, revealing the dirt under. Before Sonic could even understand what happened, Link stomped on him, hard.

When Link rose his foot to do it again, Sonic quickly got away and ran all the way to the extremity of the bridge, allowing him to get a good look at what the boy had become and to recover his senses by the same occasion. Link's injuries didn't heal, but where before he was ready to fall, he was now standing tall, proud, and menacing, as if the pain didn't exist.

After glaring at Sonic a bit, Link looked down, seeing the Beam Sword that the hedgehog unknowingly dropped when he was slammed, and grabbed it.

And he threw it at Sonic like a spear. Sonic barely had time to move his head out of the way before the sword passed him and traversed the pit behind to plant itself into a tree.

Sonic stared at the sword which puffed away, then looked back toward Link only to see a sword close in on his neck. He ducked at the very last moment, the sword passing above him, almost cutting his spines, and sending a spinning sharp wave that continued its course through the frozen jungle behind, cutting down several trees (which returned in place right away).

Since he was ducked, Sonic decided to go all the way and to do a Spin Attack, hitting Link on the chest, but the warrior didn't even let out a grunt of pain before he grabbed the spinning ball, not minding his hands being shredded, and threw him again into the air almost all the way to the top surface of the Ring Out Barrier. Link then did several swings with his sword, sending dozens of sharp waves at Sonic, cutting him all over the body. Then, as the hedgehog was beside him in his fall, he punched him down, slamming him headfirst on the ground.

Sonic twitched.

Link smashed his foot on his face.

And the hedgehog was the one down for the count.

"KO! The victor is: Link!"


"I already saw a demonstration against these Team Rainbow Rocket members and their Pokémon, but that form that the Fierce Deity's Mask gives you is really impressive," Zelda said to Link.

"And terrifyingly brutal. Like, damn, dude. I could feel theses stomps from here, and it hurt just to watch," Phantom said. "So that was what you were talking about, Samus?"

"Yeah. I was present when he used it to fight Team RR, and even I was impressed and disturbed. That was like... watching the perfect warrior. Strong, fast, smart, merciless, relentless, effective, no emotion, no hesitation..."

"It's exactly what this form is," Link said. "This Fierce Deity... It's as the name says. He's a ferocious Warrior God. When I wear this mask, my mind becomes clear, fighting becomes even more instinctual than breathing, and the opponent's defeat is the only thing that matters."

"Well, keep this mask warm, because you will need it again very soon. Whether it's Kirby or Bloom who wins the next battle, your next opponent will be very powerful," Phantom warned.

Speaking of, Master Hand selected the arena for said battle.

And the selected arena was a small planet.

Really.

The whole arena was a small, partially grassy planetoid with, from what could be seen, two small houses, several round patches of flowers either white, yellow, or purple, a pipe, small, weird round shrubs, a tree stump, at least one crater, and a circle of small menhirs.

"Oh! That's the planet where I first met Rosalina!" Mario exclaimed. "Mmh... It's missing the monument that appeared after I played hide-and-seek with these three Lumas."

"So the whole planet is the arena?" Apple Death questioned.

"Yes. The planet is small enough, and there are the three holes that will act as pits for Ring Out if you fall in one. Of course, if you are launched high enough, this will also be Ring Out. And the pipes will also be usable to go from one side of the planet to the other rapidly," Master Hand explained.

"Nice!"

"All the place you will need for what promises to be an epic battle," Sweetie Void said to both Kirby and Apple Death. "And remember, Kirby, no Stella Knight. You should still be able to defeat her even without," she then whispered to the puffball.


Apple Death and Kirby ended up appearing at opposite sides of the pipe near the houses.

"Okay. Let's see what Sweetie's rival can do," the filly muttered to herself.

"GO!"

Apple Death immediately turned into a ghost and sunk into a shadow before moving toward Kirby in the blink of an eye.

"Po!"

Kirby also turned into a ghost and sunk into the ground. Apple Death's shadow stopped upon seeing this, hesitated a bit, and then disappeared as Apple Death also sunk into the ground to follow Kirby.

After several seconds of calm, the whole planet suddenly shook before the two burst out, Kirby not a ghost anymore but using instead the Wing Ability as well as Fighter Ability to repeatedly attack Apple Death with a Vulcan Jab. Apple Death then blasted him away with a burst of purple electricity followed by several balls of purple fire. The balls were deflected back at Apple Death with Mirror while Kirby also used Beam to charge energy into a wand before sending it in the form of a large ball.

Apple Death easily avoided the fireballs and then materialized a bone scythe to cut the large ball of energy in two, destroying it. She quickly had to use the scythe to parry Kirby who charged at her with his Sword, and the two struggled a bit before Kirby suddenly teleported with ESP. Taking a regular trick from his foes' book, he randomly teleported around to throw her off before he appeared right above her and dropped on her with both Stone and Metal. Apple Death was taken by surprise, but then let herself drop under Kirby, and instead of being crushed against the ground, she phased into it. A huge jaw made of ghostly energy then came out and almost trapped Kirby who teleported away, only for Apple Death to teleport behind him before she electrified him with her purple electricity. Kirby electrified her in return with Spark and the two electrified each other for several seconds before they separated by flying at opposite directions.

What followed were long minutes of the two fighters constantly teleporting, attacking, and teleporting again. Kirby teleported and fired a fire arrow, Apple Death teleported to avoid the arrow and fired a beam of energy, Kirby teleported to avoid the beam and threw an electrified spear that spread bolts of electricity in all directions, Apple Death teleported to avoid the spear and swung her scythe, Kirby teleported to avoid the scythe and attempted to smash the filly with his frozen Hammer, and so on and so on. And this happened all over the small planet.


"This could last a while," Sweetie Void commented.

"I can't believe that that Kirby is holding up against Apple Bloom!" Little Ghost exclaimed.

"And again, he is holding back, or else, the fight would already be over," Sweetie Void said. "If Kirby used his full power, nobody in this tournament beside me would stand a chance against him. It wouldn't be fun."

"How much is he holding back?" Scootabot asked.

"Well, right now, with the power he is using, he could crack a planet the size of Equus in two with just a punch. With his full power, he would pulverize Equus with just a punch."

Everyone around gulped.

"Yeah. If that wasn't for that whole indestructibility that Master Hand gave to the arena, that little planet would already be dust by now," the alicorn added.


Apple Death sent a stream of ice as cold as death to freezing Kirby, but the puffball used Mirror to send it back at her. But Apple Death knew the trick by now and flew right through the stream and the mirror to punch Kirby by surprise, sending him crashing right into one of the two pipes on the planet's surface. Apple Death followed him in the pipe only for an explosion to blow her out right away, courtesy of the Crash Ability, making smoke come out of the pipes and the craters. Kirby then teleported in Apple Death's trajectory and Stone punched her back to the planet before he used his sword covered in fire to send several fiery waves after her. However, instead of crashing on the planet, Apple Death phased into the ground again and the waves only ended up hitting dirt, not even burning the grass.

Apple Death then teleported right behind Kirby, swinging her bone scythe, but Kirby blocked him with his sword and, this time, flew backward so that he was able to target the filly and send several feathers at her from his Wing Ability. Apple Death burned the feathers however and materialized several skeleton birds that flew after Kirby, but some of the birds quickly broke apart and many others lost control.


"What? She can do animated skeleton constructs, now? Since when?" Sweetie Ghoul wondered.

"Uuh... I think she's testing new stuff with her powers. She can already materialize bones to make objects like her scythes, so why not? But clearly, she hasn't gotten it to work well yet," Little Ghost said.

"You don't say. It must already be hard to make skeleton constructs that are... Uh... "alive", but doing it in the midst of a battle? And when you never did that before? Not a chance it would work. This will need training." Scootabot said.

"Must be why Thanatos never created skeleton constructs against us while in battle, only made them come out of portals which meant that they already existed elsewhere. He probably never bothered ta learn," Apple Death's Applejack guessed.

Phantom smirked. "His lost. You imagine if he could have sent a skeleton dragon after you?"

"I would have blown it up, but this would have been impressive and certainly made the fight even harder than it already was."


In the end, only two, wobbly, fragile skeleton birds reached Kirby who easily destroyed them with one jab each. Apple Death still used the distraction they provided to throw her scythe like a boomerang while also levitating and sending a Bob-Omb that she spotted. However, Kirby easily flew out of the way of the Bob-Omb while throwing an axe the same way, and the two swirling weapons clashed in the air. But the axe quickly destroyed the scythe and continued its course, only for Apple Death to send it back with several more scythes, this time made of purple energy. Then, while Kirby avoided the weapons, Apple Death materialized hundreds of bones that she rained all over the planet.

Kirby got hit by some, but he eventually was able to use his sword allied to Tornado to block the rest while sending dozens of sharp waves in all directions. After a few seconds, he even alternated elements so the waves were made of fire, ice, or electricity. Apple Death countered with a shockwave that destroyed Kirby's waves but was destroyed in return by Kirby's sword.

Apple Death suddenly rammed Kirby, sending him flying, then opened a portal in his path, and opened the exit one right beside the Ring Out Barrier surrounding the planet. But Kirby teleported again, avoiding the portal, and rammed Apple Death from behind with the horn of the Beetle Ability, then used the Mike Ability to give her a deafening yell. While this stunned Apple Death a bit, as a ghost, this wasn't as effective against her as it would be, so she quickly recovered and blasted Kirby away.

But he returned with another teleportation, from above, and Apple Death barely had time to block the following punch with her forelegs. The punch still propelled her through the planet and Kirby already awaited her at the other side. Apple Death was the one who attacked with eye lasers, forcing Kirby to move before he used the Yo-Yo Ability, taking the ghostly filly by surprise and successfully wrapping her with the yo-yo's string. He then used the opening to punch her hard toward the Ring-Out Barrier.

But Apple Death phased through the string of the yo-yo in time, avoiding the Ring Out, and then commanded a tall bone to pop out of the ground, almost taking Kirby off guard as the bone went all the way from the ground to him (who was still flying with the Wing Ability). Another bone then came out of the ground after Kirby avoided the first one, and more followed, forcing the puffball to constantly be on the move. Apple Death eventually teleported in his path, and Kirby attempted to ram her with the Beetle Ability again but, this time, Apple Death caught him by the horn, spun, and threw him violently to crash into one of the little houses.

When Kirby recovered, he saw Apple Death sending several bones at him. Before they could reach him, he suddenly called a cooking pot and all the bones as well as Apple Death with sucked into the broth in it. After some seconds of stirring, Apple Death was then expelled out along with several different food that Kirby immediately inhaled, healing himself.


"Did he just...?!" Falco exclaimed.

"Yep. He cooked Apple Death and her bones and used them to make food to heal. Very useful Ability," Sweetie Void said.

"Very scary Ability," Blue corrected.


Apple Death found herself getting the Missile Ability in her face, and the resulting explosion blasted her almost to the Ring Out Barrier.

In return, Apple Death levitated and used every single items that were now present all over the planet, starting by equipping a Franklin Badge. Kirby then had to avoid a crate thrown at him before he blocked a Beam Sword only to be burned by a Fire Flower. He then barely avoided the Warp Star with Apple Death riding it before he ate the Fire Flower and blocked the Beam Sword again, then cut a Paper Fan into pieces. He finally grabbed a baseball bat about to bonk him and used it to send a Poké Ball back at Apple Death who had no problem avoiding it, not sure if the Franklin Badge would reflect it. The Poké Ball then opened and let out a Genesect that used readied its cannon toward Apple Death, ready to use Techno Blast. However, Apple Death used her powers to levitate Genesect and force it to fire at Kirby instead who used Mirror to send the beam back at Apple Death, only for her to use the Pokémon as a shield. The Genesect then disappeared in a puff of smoke.

After this, Apple Death materialized for herself a huge skeleton body that looked like a giant equine but with many appendages ending in scythes coming out from the back. She sent the appendages after Kirby who dodged and blocked. Apple Death then opened the equine's mouth and fired a huge beam of ghostly energy. The beam engulfed the puffball.

Thinking that Kirby was caught in the beam, Apple Death lowered her guard, only for Kirby to suddenly teleport beside the mouth of the equine skeleton. By the time Apple Death saw this, it was already too late as Kirby entered the giant skeleton's mouth and used the Crash Ability, blowing it up from the inside.

The explosion blasted Apple Death far, even causing the Franklin Badge to drop from her, but she was able to stop herself in time to not cross the Ring Out Barrier, again. Then, she unleashed powerful winds that Kirby had to resist before she sent hundreds and hundreds of bones, balls of purple energy, and scythes made both of bones and of purple energy. She also attempted to send skeleton birds, but like before, most of them failed to even reach their intended target, many breaking apart right at the start of their existence, and the few that reached Kirby were either easily avoided or destroyed or were just outright ignored.

Apple Death eventually stopped her rampage, having spent a lot of energy but not wanting to spend everything.

And she did right because this barely phased Kirby who either dodged, blocked with the sword, or reflected with Mirror the many projectiles, receiving almost no damage.

Kirby then used the Magic Ability to send a whole flock of doves from his hat at Apple Death. While the filly was distracted, Kirby then threw several bombs in the air, then shot at all of them one by one with his Archer Ability making so the arrows sent the bombs right at Apple Death to blow up on her face (turning the doves disappear into puffs of smoke).

Just as Apple Death recovered from the bombs, Kirby then teleported right beside her and clung to her before he began to spin. Using a combination of Tornado and Fire, he trapped Apple Death inside a fire tornado that slowly moved down toward the planet. Once they were close enough, Kirby then violently slammed the filly against the ground. And finally, he used the Crash Ability again.

Despite all this, Apple Death was able to get up.

Only for Kirby to use the Crash Ability yet again.

Only for him to be blasted away by a beam of ghost energy fired from Apple Death's mouth.

The filly then got up again and reconstructed a scythe made of bones while readying several fireballs around her.

Kirby simply readied his sword.

And then charged at Apple Death who sent some of the fireballs. Kirby moved left and right to avoid the fireballs before he was blocked Apple Death's scythe. While they were clashing, Apple Death sent the remaining fireballs.

Kirby used the Crash Ability before the fireballs could hit.

Apple Death still recovered and made a giant bone scythe that she mentally manipulated to make circles around her while she made bones come out of the ground AND rain from the sky. Kirby still avoided most of the bones and managed to grab the giant scythe before using it against Apple Death.

Then he used the Crash Ability.

Apple Death sunk into the ground and came out right under Kirby who didn't have time to react before he was headbutted, electrified, and blasted away. She then opened a portal and fired a beam into it, and the beam came out of another portal just behind Kirby. The puffball, however, inhaled the beam and spat it back through the portal, much to Apple Death's surprise, causing her to be hit by it. Kirby then used the occasion to fly through the portal.

And he used the Crash Ability.

Apple Death levitated a hammer that appeared and manipulated it to attack Kirby while she remained at a safe distance to not be caught in another explosion. While Kirby blocked the hammer with his own Hammer Ability, Apple Death then also sent a bone scythe to attack him, controlling the two weapons at once. But to her shock, Kirby then inhaled her scythe and swallowed it.

Thus, gaining a whole new Ability: the Scythe Ability. He also gained a dark cloak with a hood by the same occasion.

Using the handle of the scythe to block the hammer, he then teleported, avoiding several bolts of purple electricity. He appeared right beside Apple Death who immediately teleported away before he had time to use the Crash Ability again.

The filly finally decided to pull out all the stops and entered the planet again which then began to shake. The three craters moved, and two of them began to glow with some purple light coming from the darkness inside them. Before long, these craters took a triangular position, with the two with the purple light side by side at the top. Then the whole planet turned so the craters now faced an amazed Kirby.

Apple Death took possession of the whole planet, and the craters now composed a "face", with the two with the purple light being the "eyes" while the third one was the "mouth".


"Uh... This is allowed?" Slippy questioned.

"Yes," Master Hand answered. "But the possessed arena isn't indestructible anymore. But if it's destroyed, then it will reform after a few seconds."


Energy began to gather inside the "mouth".

With a horrified "Poyo!" Kirby quickly flew away, avoiding a huge beam. Apple Death then launched the menhirs that homed in after the puffball who punched them into rubbles with the Fighter Ability. Big fireballs were fired out of the two pipes while energy gathered again inside the "mouth". Kirby had no choice but to teleport away as the remaining menhirs stopped him from flying around freely to avoid the beam.

Apple Death understood that Kirby teleported behind her so she made the planet turn.

Only to see Kirby charge at her with a punch ready.

"PooooooooooYO!!!" CRASH!!! Kirby punched the planet so hard that it simply exploded, pieces flying in all directions, leaving behind a very shocked Spirit of Death.

The next thing she knew, Kirby was right before her face, waving at her with a friendly "Hiii!"

And then he used the Crash Ability.

When everything cleared, Apple Death was floating in space, back to normal and barely conscious.

She groaned and stared at Kirby. "Ah... Ah give up... You win..."

"And the victor is: Kirby!"

Author's Note:

That battle between Kirby and Apple Death was HARD!

I should have specified it the first time we saw DK's island, but in the story, I made the island as some fusion of the original design seen in the original DKC games and the new design in the more recent ones. So there is the big sculpted ape head on the side of the mountain, and there are the snowed pics, and the volcano is in the center of the island and the tallest mountain.

To note that, in this first arena, there was some stuff that I couldn't point out in the mid of the battle. First, the Arrow Barrel was flying in circles around the piece of land, passing under the bridge. Second, Tufftons (the big owls with a helmet) sometimes passed above the arena, serving as temporary platforms, but only one was briefly mentioned in the end. And third, the big harmful snowflake from the Homecoming Hijinks level from DKCTF (the snowflake that hit Link) would also regularly pass here and there, harming on contact and even have a weak chance of freezing the victim.

And yes, now that he got the Scythe Ability once, Kirby will be able to use it whenever he wants.

PreviousChapters Next