• Published 14th Dec 2020
  • 1,188 Views, 101 Comments

#277 - Unwhole Hole



Shortly after starting her retirement, Celestia begins to become sick. Twilight, Starlight and Trixie investigate, only to find that the Princess is dying.

  • ...
4
 101
 1,188

Chapter 1: The Oncoming Sickness

The sun rose. The moment its light peaked out from over the leafy-green horizon, Celestia opened her eyes. For a moment—as was the case with most mornings—she sat for a moment, confused. Then the memories came back to her, and she smiled. Today was going to be another amazing day.

She sat up from her exquisitely soft bed. Not the exorbitantly large canopy one she had grown to detest in Canterlot, but still one sized for a pony of her unusual size and mass. She turned over and stretched, then pulled herself through the blankets and stepped down into her slippers. The wooden floor creaked pleasantly as she walked to the window and opened it with her magic.

A cool breeze blew through, carrying with it the scent of pines from the forest outside. Celestia stared out toward the sun, watching it rise slowly without her intervention. It was a bizarre feeling she had not yet gotten used to. For over a thousand years, that had been her job. Now, though, her only task was enjoying her retirement.




The morning started as most mornings did. Celestia made her way to the bottom level of the cottage, pausing to offer Philomena a tasty treat and patting the incandescent bird on the head. Then Celestia passed to the kitchen, humming, and ate her normal breakfast of cake left over from the previous day. She paired it with tea that had been part of a large supply gifted by Discord. The tea was delicious, as always, and not at all as chaotic as Celestia had initially expected upon receiving it. Only one in eleven tea-bags was chaotic; otherwise, tea was something Discord took very, very seriously.

After breakfast, Celestia changed. For the first time in as long as she could remember, she was not strictly required to wear clothing. She could spend the entirety of the day completely and utterly nude, not needing to don a necklace or crown or special uncomfortable shoes. For this morning, though, she donned a set of shorts, a tank-top, and several pastel sweatbands. She also tied back her flowing mane into, of all things, a ponytail. It was more or less the only hairstyle she could wear, what with having a flowing prismatic plasma mane instead of one actually made of hair.

By nine, she opened the cottage door and stepped into the small front garden. Birds were singing cheerfully and several squirrels and other assorted small creatures passed, running up the mossy stone wall that marked the edge of the front yard. Flowers were blooming, and Celestia paused to smell a set of her very own sunflowers. They of course had no smell, as always, but Celestia had an inkling that she was simply not sniffing hard enough.

On her way out, she passed Luna’s portion of the garden, where several neat rows of vegetables had been planted. Luna was standing in the center of the patch, staring wide-eyed and intently at the ground. Then, without noticing her sister, she cried out as her magic snapped forward.

“AH-HA!” she cried, her magic striking a space between two plants and raising a small, squirming slug.

“Luna, were you up all night again—”

“Standing sentry over my glorious crops? Of course, dear sister!” Luna held up a glass jar filled to the brim with slugs and placed the newly acquired specimen in with the rest. “These foolish pests have attempted an incursion into my precious patch of zuckanees!”

“I think it’s ‘zucchini ‘--”

“SHH! Sister, quiet! You will discourage them!” Her magic flashed out again as she caught another slug. “They must fruit properly if I am to live like a true peasant!”

“You don’t even like zucchini.”

“Not in the slightest! But they are so very easy to grow, are they not?” She picked one and waved it at her sister. “And look how comical they look!”

Celestia took a step back. “And the slugs?”

Luna looked down at the jar. “Disgusting things. I shall gift them to Fluttershy. She likes that sort of thing, no?”

“If I find any under my pillow...”

“Sister, we are not fillies. That only happened once. Per week. That you knew about.” Luna screwed the lid back on the jar and looked at what her sister was wearing. “Going for your morning trot, sister?”

“My diet is mostly cake these days. If I don’t work it off, I’ll have to buy a new bed.”

“Since when has your diet not been cake?”

“You can come if you want.”

“Yes. I can.” Luna started walking back to the cottage, yawning. “But these new circadian rhythms vex me. I shall retire to the cellar.”

“To lick the lids of all the jelly again?”

“I did that ONCE, sister! That you know about!”

Celestia laughed, and Luna smiled as she went back in the door, levitating a pineapple from the bowl of fruit Celestia had left on the table and munching on it. Celestia opened her cottage gate and took off at a slow trot down the garden path, feeling the forest-scented air on her face as she made her way on her morning route.




As an alicorn, Celestia could easily have gone for a fly just as well as a run, although she had found that she greatly preferred the latter to the former. Flight was certainly a privilege she was incredibly grateful for, but it was not an easy thing. Her body was far heavier than that of a Pegasus, and prolonged flight made her back ache. Likewise, she found it boring. The word looked so small from above, and it was a feeling she was already all-too familiar with.

Instead, she liked to run. To see the world passing by at a seemingly immense speed as she trotted along the neat paths through every type of tree she could have imagined. To be alone, save for the greenery and the frogs and birds and other little woodland creatures.

It was hardly even exercise, and certainly not a chore. As an alicorn, Celestia did not tire. Her stamina was limitless. She doubted she even technically needed to sleep, although she enjoyed it greatly. Fatness, however, was a potential issue. Probably. Celestia did not want to take a chance on that one.

The forest she took was one contiguous somewhere and at some point with the Everfree, although less ghastly than the foul swamps that bubbled in its more deeper regions. A much more reasonable place, fit for the construction of the small home she shared with her sister—and not too far from the castle where, so long ago, they had once dwelt in solitude.

Celestia went there sometimes. She had considered rebuilding it, but she did not even like looking at it. There were too many bad memories of it—and worse, too many good ones.

Instead, she took the same path every day. A simple course of two and a half miles, a quite reasonable and proper distance, after which she would take a long bath before truly starting her day. As she ran, she planned what she wanted to do. Perhaps she would go to town to visit, or work on her sunflowers, or don armor so as to challenge a mythical beast in the deeper parts of the Everfree for its precious alchemical reagents. Then when Luna woke up, they would either play checkers or go to the firing range to blow things to bits with their magic.

The thought of all the things she might possibly do was exhilarating, and this kept her cheerful as she ran her small circuit through the winding and beautiful woods. So much so that she did not immediately notice that something was horribly wrong.

A growing sense of unease suddenly occurred to her. Celestia slowed, not sure what it meant. She eventually stopped, trotting in place, before stopping entirely and looking around, utterly bewildered.

She had no idea where she was.

“Wh...what?”

She looked around, suppressing the urge to panic. The birds were still there, singing, and the woodland creatures were still frolicking and playing—but something was horribly amiss.

Her mind could not fathom it. She took the same route every day. Every single day, except when it was raining or cold or when there was too much cake—but she always took the same path. It never deviated. Really, it could not; because of the way it was laid out, there was no possibility of wrong turns.

Except she did not know where she was. She had taken the same path, but was somehow somewhere new. Somewhere she did not recognize—and the dread only grew when she looked behind her at the unfamiliar road and realized that she had no idea how to get back home.

“Wh...no.” She took a breath. “No need to panic. It’s fine. No need to talk to yourself, Celestia. Luna already checked the forest, there’s not a single chicken.” She looked around again. “And...I just need to keep going!”

She kept moving, trotting again, dismissing the sensation she was feeling as a bizarre anomaly. That somehow she had simply never stopped on this particular part of the path and somehow that made it seem unfamiliar.

Except she was sure she had never seen this place before. How there was a rocky precipice on one side, dotted with exceptional laurel flowers, or a pond visible through the pine trees that she was sure she had never seen in her whole life. It was all so peaceful and so beautiful—and yet Celestia felt her breath quicken, as well as her pace.

Something was wrong. She was lost, and she knew it—but refused to accept it because it was impossible. There was no way she could have forgotten something so simple, not when she was so close to home. Except she had. Something was wrong. Terribly WRONG.

Now sprinting, Celststia raced through the forest—and it only grew more and more terrifyingly foreign. Bright, green, peaceful—but totally unfamiliar. Unfamiliar and, to her horror, seeming to repeat. As if she could recognize parts of it from moments before, or maybe from long ago. It was an impossible thing, that she could somehow not place her own memories of this place, and at the same time somehow not remember it at all even though she knew every inch of it.

Confused and terrified, she spread her wings to fly—only to flip onto one side in middle of the path. Celestia cried out in shock and through her tears, realizing that she had somehow forgotten how to fly. Although she had flown so many times before, somehow the thought of how to do it was lost to her. Her wings flailed uselessly, her brain unable to recall something that had formerly been so natural.

Trees. Furry creatures. Fear. Celestia stood up, crying and afraid, not sure what was going on or why it was so terrifying—and as she did, she felt a strange sensation. Like a buzzing, almost, or a brief spell of lightheadedness.

“Sister?”

Luna put her hoof gently on Celestia’s shoulder, and Celestia cried out in shock, nearly falling out of the chair she was sitting on.

“What who how when—” Celestia looked around in a panic, finding her in her own cozy living room. She could not remember having gotten there. One moment she was in the forest; the next, she was at home.

“How did I get here? I was just in the forest and I—” She gasped, her eyes widening. “And I got lost! I was on the same path I take every day, but I—I got lost and—”

“I found you there, yes,” said Luna. “You had collapsed. I hauled you back.”

“You...did?” Celestia looked down at herself. She was naked again, like when she had awoken. Her mane was no longer tied back. She could not remember having done that. “I don’t remember it...”

Luna held her face close to Celestia’s, peering into her sister’s eyes.

“What?”

“Are you feeling better now?”

Celestia looked around the room. It was definitely her house. She saw her coffee table, and her chairs, and a shelf of books and a few of her favorite letters from Twilight Sparkle placed neatly at the corner of a roll-top writing desk. She remembered every object and knew they were exactly where they were supposed to be.

“I...I don’t know.”

“Perhaps you struck your head?”

“I...” Celestia shook her head. “I don’t know what happened.”

“Regardless,” continued Luna. “I am a divine lunar-goddess, not a doctor.”

“Luna, I don’t need a doctor—”

“Exactly. Which is why I instead summoned Twilight Sparkle.”

Celestia sat bolt upright. “Now just wait a minute, Luna, there’s no reason to be extreme!”

Sitting up, Celestia turned suddenly to see Starlight Glimmer lying on her loveseat, sipping some tea.

“Starlight?”

Starlight set the tea down. “Three. Two. One.”

The center of the room erupted with such force that every object contained within the blast radius was hurled outward with devastating force, only to be caught in a field of blue magic. Twilight emerged, hyperventilating, her wings fully erect from the assignment.

“SICK PRINCESS?!” She cried. “Where? WHERE IS SHE?!”

Celestia groaned. This was not how she had wanted to spend her day.

“She’s fine,” said Starlight, returning all of Twilight’s shrapnel to its appropriate locations. Twilight nearly cried out and jumped when she heard Starlight’s voice.

“Starlight?! How’d you get here before I did?!”

“I combined a spatial dislocation spell with a temporal one. I shot backward in time a little bit. I’m actually still at the castle, making a sandwich. I’ll be here in...” She teleported a watch into the room and checked it. “About an hour?”

“STAR,” growled Twilight through gritted teeth. “Stop making me look bad in front of the princess—princesses—princessi?”

Something else exploded on the upper floor. This was followed by an enormous splash of water and a scream of various—and fortunately unintelligible—words.

“Sweet Celestia,” moaned Twilight, hiding her blushing face in her hoof. “You brought HER?”

“Hey, she’s getting better. At least she didn’t materialize halfway into a wall this time.”

There were steps across the floor upstairs, and then down the stairs. Trixie emerged, sopping wet.

“Yeah. You’re gonna need a new toilet. Trixie can totally pay for that, though. Right, Twilight?”

Twilight groaned.

“Twilight,” said Celestia, standing up and feeling oddly shaky, “while I do appreciate seeing you, as always, you do not need to worry about me—”

“Worried? I’m not worried, not at all!” A pile of equipment suddenly emerged from the ether and fell around Twilight. “But just to be sure, I’m going to take some vital signs and some samples.” She held up an enormous empty glass jar. "I'm gonna need this filled. With feathers. Approximately quill-length, if you please."

“Twilight...”

“Twilight and Starlight are two of the best mages in the entirety of the kingdom,” explained Luna, patiently. “And Trixie is...here. I had assumed that contacting them was the best course of action, should the ailment be magical—and should it be something we ought to keep discrete.”

“Discrete? Luna, it’s not a secret. I had low blood sugar and fell down, that’s all.”

“But my tests—”

“Out of the way, Purple.” Trixie shoved Twilight out of the way and jumped up on the coffee table to be eye-level with Celestia. “Let the Great and Powerful Trixie handle this. You don’t need those fancy spells or ‘modern medicine’. The Great and Powerful Trixie is a Learned and Effective practitioner of herbal medicine! Behold!”

Trixie produced a mostly spherical root, held aloft in her magic by its leaves. Then, before anypony could stop her, she began to repeatedly smack Celestia across the face with it.

“Out, demons, OUT!”

“TRIXXXIIIEEE NOOOOO!”

Twilight levitated Trixie and flipped her over.

“What?” said Trixie, flicking the tail of the vegetable across Celestia’s nose. “Whenever I got sick as a filly, my father used to beet me all the time! Trust Trixie, this works!”

“It’s also high treason! You could be HUNG!”

“Oh please, it’s not the first time Trixie’s been hung. I’m a convicted horse-thief in twelve provinces. They haven’t been able to beat the candy out of me yet. Except that one time.”

“Firstly,” said Twilight. “We don’t have provinces, second, horse thievery is called ‘foalnapping’--”

“Besides,” said Starlight, “those were probably just school suspensions.”

“Stop encouraging her!”

“HA! Fools, Trixie never went to school! I can’t even read!”

“Starlight, get me a rope and hold her ankles—”

“Ahem,” said Celestia. Twilight immediately dropped Trixie.

“Princess!” she squeaked, her wings once again becoming fully erect and fluffy. “I wasn’t...really going to...it was just by the ankle—”

“Twilight,” said Celestia. “I’m fine.”

“I—I know—”

“But we’re still a little concerned,” said Starlight, getting off the loveseat. “That’s all. Why don’t we take a trip down to Ponyville, just so we can check you out?”

“But who will be watching the kingdom?”

“My friends, of course. Isn’t that what you taught me? That sometimes it’s okay for a pony to rely on others for help when she needs it?”

Celestia sighed. “I suppose I did...”

“Frankly, I don’t trust them,” said Trixie, still on the floor. “At the rate we’re going, they'll instate communism before you know it. I think one of Twilight’s friends is secretly PINK!”

“It’s not a secret—”

"And communism doesn't work so great," added Starlight. "Trust me. Been there, done that."

Celestia put her hoof to her head, confused for a moment, and trying to regain her composure. Then she looked up at Twilight’s castle.

“Huh? How...how did we get here?”

Twilight looked up at her. “What do you mean? We took the chariot, like always.”

“I don’t...” Celestia put her hoof to her head. “Of course,” she said, still wracking her brain to try to remember the trip. It normally took nearly an hour—but somehow she could recall none of it.

“Well, we’re here now,” said Twilight. “Quickly, to my laboratory!”

“Since when do you have a laboratory?”

“Since forever. And it’s pronounced ‘laboratory’.”

“Twilight, I don’t think it’s pronounced...that….way?”

Celestia stepped down from the last stair into the laboratory and looked over her shoulder, momentarily confused.

“Celestia?”

“It’s nothing.”

The laboratory was large and, for lack of a better word, fancy. Not fancy in a Raritiesque sense, but well equipped, with the walls lined with various scientific and magical equipment as well as racks of artifacts, components, and of course shelf after shelf of reference books necessary for any particular scientific value or standard that might be required in the endeavor of sciencing.

Although the room itself did not look too unlike Twilight’s lab in the root chamber of the Golden Oaks Library—Celestia had read numerous reams of technical descriptions sent by Twilight herself, and had signed the checks to fund the equipment contained within it—this one was larger and filled with much more crystal.

“Has this...always been here?”

“Of course. For whenever I want to science.”

“It used to be the dungeon,” said Trixie, trotting past, her small body laden with a significant amount of science components. “Starlight used to take me down here all the time. There was an iron pony, and a bunch of whips and chains, and blindfolds and ball gags and—”

“TRIXIE!”

“And a rack! You never saw a rack so tiny, though! Let me tell you, I’ve never seen a rack as small as Twilight’s!”

Trixie’s mouth suddenly disappeared in a flash of pink magic, and, surprised, Trixie began to mumble and gesticulate wildly. As Twilight tried to calm her, Celestia took account of the rest of the room. It was mostly full of science things that she did not understand the function of that did not interest her—although slowly, her eyes were drawn to one particular section of the room.

Celestia approached it. That area had a number of artifacts contained in various sorts of special containers, whether they be glass boxes inscribed with bizarre and esoteric golden runes or made of sheet-crystal annealed with special magical salts. Celestia saw a dark gray amulet with a carved alicorn head bearing a severe expression, and beside it a strange and ominous book; nearby, a disturbing scarlet mask on a manikin head stared out blankly and almost hungrily. Below them, a canister filled with a slowly undulating fragment of the darkest shadow, ever reaching toward a stand containing the sharp red tip of a strange curved horn under a bell jar.

The shelves contained many of these cursed and dark things, but one in particular drew Celestia’s attention. One kept separate from the others, one with a special place all its own. It was a glass bell-jar on a specialized pedestal, away and apart from most other things. As she drew nearer, she saw that it contained a thin filament of the deepest crimson—which Celestia realized was a tiny fragment of some unknown type of crystal.

It sat there, floating in the center of the vessel, not moving in particular but somehow distinctly active. Celestia could feel a strange sensation deep within herself made her shudder. Every feather on her wings stood on end, and her hairless alicorn body was covered in goosebumps. She was sure that, somehow, she knew what that thing was—and that she had seen it before.

She took another step, and felt a hoof on her knee. She looked down to see Starlight looking back up at her with a deadly serious expression.

“It’s better if you don’t get near that,” she said.

Celestia looked back at the jar and the crystal within. “What is it?”

“A very dangerous artifact. A fragment of a very particular crystal.”

“Why do you have it?”

“Because we needed it.”

Celestia raised a nonexistant eyebrow, but did not press further. She did not know why, but somehow the thing in that jar—and the fact that she seemed to recognize it—terrified her profoundly.

“Starlight!” cried Twilight. “Where are my examination gloves?!”

Celestia immediately snapped out of whatever peculiar state of mind she had found herself in. Trixie came running up as well.

“Yaw gnorw eht no si htuom ym! YAW GNORW EHT!”

Starlight’s horn glowed, flipping Trixie’s mouth over to the correct orientation.

“What exactly are you intending to examine?” asked Celestia, nervously.

“Your brain, of course!”

“And why do you need gloves for that, Twilight?”

Twilight gaped for a moment. “Um...cleanliness?”

“It’s fine,” said Starlight. She gestured to the examination table. “Just sit down.”

“Of course.” Celestia paused. “This won’t...hurt, will it?”

Twilight and Starlight looked at each other.

“Yes,” said Trixie. “A lot.”

“No,” said Starlight and Twilight angrily.

“Because I...well...” Celestia sighed. “To be honest, Twilight, I hate needles. So very much.”

“Oh, there won’t be any at all!” said Twilight, leading Celestia to the table. “We’re examining your brain, after all!”

“Yeah,” said Trixie. “That would be a HUGE needle.”

“Trixie!”

“Unless we went through the ear?”

Twilight glared at Trixie, and Celestia sat down on the table. She then produced a special hat filled with blinking lights and wires as Starlight attached a number of sticky pads to various parts of her body. Celestia suddenly giggled uncontrollably.

“Starlight, that tickles!”

“Sorry, Princess.”

“No, it’s fine. If it makes Twilight feel better that I’m perfectly fine, I’ll withstand the tickling with all my might.” She then giggled wildly as the wing sensors were attached.

Twilight, now blushing heavily, trotted to her machine, which was spitting out a scroll with a jagged red line. Starlight joined her, examining the same line and producing several books that the two of them poured over. Trixie, meanwhile, sat in front of Celestia.

“Are you not helping them?” asked Celestia.

“Twilight says the best way I can help is not to touch anything at all.” Trixie raised her hoof toward Celestia. “But if you’ll just bend down, I’m willing to give you a boop and take all your power for myself.”

“Trixie!”

“What?! A girl can’t even give boops anymore?!”

“We do not boop the princess!” exclaimed Starlight. “No matter how much we want to!”

“Fine,” groaned Trixie, sitting on her haunches and crossing her forelegs.

“You can boop me later,” said Twilight. "I'm also a princess."

“It’s not the same,” pouted Trixie.

Celestia just chuckled. She was glad that her favorite student had such good friends.

She turned to Twilight and Starlight. “About how long will this take, Twilight?”

“Well, frankly,” said Twilight, looking up. “We’re already done.”

“Really?”

“Well...there’s nothing wrong with you.” Twilight held up the scroll with the line. “I mean, look at this line! It looks perfect! Better than perfect!”

“What she means,” said Starlight, “is that whatever happened to you was transient. It’s not happening right now, so we don’t really have any idea what it is.”

“Well, as I said. I’m fine, Twilight. You have no need to worry.”

“That’s not entirely true,” said Twilight, trotting back to the princess and removing the electrodes and science hat. “We don’t really know very much about alicorn biology. It’s not exactly something we have a lot of examples of, so I was hoping...” Twilight sighed. “Well, I was kind of hoping that we might find something informative. I know that sounds bad, but, well, after Flurry Heart was born...”

“You’re worried about her and Cadence, aren’t you?”

“I’m worried about you and Luna too, I just thought if we knew a little more...”

Celestia lowered her long neck to give Twilight a hug. “Oh, my little Twilight, that’s a very noble thing. You shouldn’t be ashamed at all.”

“Oh—thank you—princess—”

“Trixie didn’t get a hug...”

“That said,” said Starlight, offering the princess a cup of hot tea, “If you don’t mind, it might be better if you stay for a couple of days. Just so we can observe you, in case it happens again. If we see it when it happens, we might get a better idea of what’s going on.”

“I see,” said Celestia, leaning back. “There are better ways to ask me to come for a visit, Twilight, and it might take me a little while to get used to staying in a castle again—but if that is what it takes to make you feel better, then I would be happy to spend a few days with my very favorite student and her friends.” She paused. “That bakery, the one that Pinkie Pie apprenticed in...is it still open?”

“Um...yes? Why?”

“Because I think it might be about brunchtime. Would you care to accompany me for some cake?”

Twilight and Starlight laughed, while Trixie apparently did not understand the joke. They made their way back to the staircase, with Celestia following them—and pausing for just a moment to look back, over her shoulder and staring into the darkened room for a moment. She could not help but feel like something was staring back at her from the blackness.