• Published 10th Oct 2020
  • 3,159 Views, 214 Comments

Tails of Sacrifice - CommanderX5



The day of Nightmare Moon’s return has almost come, and it is up to Twilight and the five-tailed kitsune Kyuubi to purify her of corruption. Unfortunately, to achieve victory, one must be ready to face struggles and to make sacrifices.

  • ...
7
 214
 3,159

Ch.8 - First Contact

Tails of Sacrifice

-

Chapter 8

-

First Contact


The compact ball of darkness plunged through the night sky almost unnoticed, the seals that had bound it to the moon broken. It descended along the same straight-line path it had ascended so long ago, drawing near to the place of its banishment without slowing.

It splashed across the shattered stones and brush of the ancient battlefield like a water droplet. A silence descended across the area, not even broken by the usual, ever-present chirps of insects. A moment passed before a faint glow began to curl through the dark fog, the fragments swirling together into a growing column of darkness. The clouds above blocked off the clear skies with unnatural speed, untouched by mortal hooves.

A crack of lightning split the storm, and a form slowly emerged from the inky darkness below with regal steps. It was large, with a sharp horn and draconic wings that seemed to cradle the night.

“Free! Our banishment is over, Luna. We are finally free!” Nightmare Moon declared with a loud commanding tone, following it up with wild laughter. She had no idea how much time had passed since their unjust imprisonment. Was it one century or a hundred? She couldn't tell. All that mattered was that she had once again set a hoof on Equestria's soil.

Was she to meet her cursed sister face to face again? Or maybe alarm a few guards in the throne room?

As her vision was no longer blurry and the black fog dispersed, she examined her surroundings, considering her next course of action.

Nightmare Moon took a step back, holding a raised forehoof in front of her black chest. Her eyes opened wide as her predatory pupils stared ahead in confusion.

A dining table? A colossal fox? A golem? A zebra? And… Are those floating bodies of water and fire, alongside a tornado with eyes?

She took her eyes off the odd sight. Around ten meters ahead was a table filled with food and drinks, something she had forgotten even existed during her exile. She smelled the aroma of an apple-pie, vegetable-soup, and roasted berries. Her eyes instantly rested on an assortment of vegetable-salad.

She quickly restrained herself before her mouth could start drooling at the sight of food for the first time in centuries.

She tore her gaze away from it, again directing her attention at the creatures sitting at the table.

Was this a meeting or negotiations with ambassadors of foreign nations?

There were two ponies among them, though. A pink filly with a violet mane and tail wearing a helmet with blue feathers decorating it. Since when did they recruit foals into the army? What has transpired in my long absence? There was also a unicorn with a fluffy yellow mane, whose coat was pink like a rose. This one wore bronze armor, her gear making her look like an actual soldier.

Nightmare Moon slowly raised her head, her gaze locked onto the largest specimen in the vast room. She examined the gigantic fox from bottom to top. It seemed to be at least five meters tall. Whatever the creature was, it was no feral beast. Two large blue eyes patiently stared back at her as Nightmare Moon further assessed this being. Its rich, well-groomed fur coat was a shade duller than her sister’s. She also noticed that it had more than one tail. And was it wearing… a bowtie?

The alicorn averted her gaze, quickly examining the rest of the room. It was the throne room from so long ago, without a doubt, though in rough shape.

A few guards sat next to the pillars. Her and Celestia's thrones were uncharmed. The moon was visible out of the nearby window. A few signs of recent renovations seemed to be near the ceiling.

Welcome back, Your Highness. Please make yourself at home.

Nightmare Moon looked back at the motley assortment of creatures at the table, hearing a calm female voice in her head. "This can't be happening," she said to herself in a desperate tone as her mind tried to comprehend what the heck was happening.

Am I going mad? Or was Equestria conquered by Spirits of Nature and gigantic foxes? The alicorn lowered her head in defeat and sighed. It must be a dream. I should've known it was too good to be true.

Is something wrong, Your Highness? Princess Luna?

Nightmare raised her head, caught off guard upon hearing Luna's name. "Is this an illusion? Are you all a creation of my tormented mind?"

"What? Why would you think that?" asked the armored unicorn. After glancing left and right, she chuckled and added, "I suppose it may be a lot to take in, but I assure you, we are a hundred percent the real deal."

"Your suspicions and fears we understand, but I assure you, we are here where we stand," the zebra said as she gestured at the nearby table. The chair was similar to a throne, painted as the night itself. "Please sit and taste the cream. You will soon see this is not a dream."

The little earth pony spoke up, her voice surprisingly adult, "By the priestess’ request, we are here to greet you after your long exile and welcome you back. Please take your time, um... Your Majesty."

After a pause to gather herself, Nightmare Moon replaced her surprised stare with one filled with authority. She approached the table with long graceful steps, narrowing her eyes. Whether it was a dream or reality, she preferred to act akin to her position.

She gave the chair one more glance, her cold smile brightening a little. She ran her hoof over the wooden material, taking a moment to admire the artistic craft. The fact that she could even feel the wooden surface indicated that she was no longer on the rocky moon.

"High regards to the artist who created this chair. They certainly know how to accommodate royalty," Nightmare said before sitting on it, now being in the shadow of the massive fox. Her stomach grumbled for the first time in centuries. Focusing her magic, she levitated over a spoon, sinking it in the soup. Her eyes widened again as soon as the soup touched her taste buds.

Carrot slices, cauliflower, and some spices, she was delighted with the taste, eating slowly to savor every precious second. Some say that the more hardship one faces, the more precious are the good times. But how could one describe not eating anything, not for years, nor decades, but centuries, only to finally taste something other than dust?

Her mind demanded that she lose her composure, to dig in and feast on the food like a wild animal. It took every scrap of her willpower to maintain the composure fit of a royal.

Finishing her soup, she turned her appetite to an apple pie, filling her belly with this precious desert. She cooled her throat with water before tasting apple-juice for an even more delightful taste.

Feasting and drinking calmed her down as she ignored the armored ponies, not fearing they would strike her in this moment of weakness. The unique guests on the other side of the table didn't say a word. Zebra and two ponies joined in, tasting some samples while offering their companionship.

While she hid it behind her cold mask, Nightmare Moon felt simply ecstatic, experiencing luxuries for the first time in centuries. With her belly satisfied, she decided to express her gratitude, taking a moment to come up with a fitting response.

The alicorn raised her head and looked at the armored unicorn, "I find your warm welcome to be most satisfying." She held forehoof on her chest. "This is a shame you are not my subjects, yet, but I swear on my moon, I will repay this grand favor." She raised an eyebrow. "How should I address you? What do you call yourselves?" The pony before her stood up, balancing herself on her rear hooves.

"Finally! I was looking forward to this moment," the unicorn said as she held forehoof on her chest, her head raised in pride. "My name is Rosey Sparky. High Templar Rosey Sparkly. Second in command of the Knight Templars."

Nightmare Moon didn't move an inch, observing the introduction. So this armored mare was a high ranking officer of some new military faction.

"Allow me to introduce you to my mighty commander." Rosey gestured at filly to the left with a hoof, as if advertising a window display. "Hierarch of the Templars, Lily Longsock."

"It is an honor," Lily said, bowing her head.

Nightmare raised an eyebrow. Was this pony serious? What kind of insane future was this where a child was in charge of military power? Now that she thought about it, the term ‘templar’ indicated the presence of religion.

"Master Alchemist and visitor of a distant land, Zecora."

"This meeting is a pleasure, a memory I’ll always treasure."

"A visitor, not an ambassador?" Nightmare asked. So her prior theory may have been wrong.

The zebra shook her head. "Equestria prefers isolation from every outside nation. Zebras and Equestria are neither enemies nor friends, so I am here for my own ends." She smiled. "But my visit here was both fruitful and pleasant. Here, you will find no better friends than those who are present." She looked away, smiling up at the giant fox-like creature who returned the smile and chuckled.

Rosey cleared her throat, getting Nightmare's attention. She touched the small wind funnel with her cladded hoof. "Representative of wind spirits and caretaker of this ruined castle, Windy."

"Ruined?" Nightmare asked. Certainly, the throne room was in far from perfect condition, but definitely not ruined.

"Fire spirit, Flameingo."

The alicorn watched as the armored mare made hoof-contact with the living flame, her smile forced as numerous drops of sweat now covered her forehead. Even metal she wore gained a shade of red until she withdrew.

"Water spirit, Streamy," Rosey said, sighing in relief as her armor and hoof cooled down. The water spirit huffed in annoyance, no doubt not liking the heated touch.

"And earth spirit, Thorn."

Thorn touched Rosey's forehead.

"He asks you to ignore him for now, saying he's here to observe rather than talk, but he will aid his savior if necessary."

Other spirits nodded in agreement.

"Savior?" Nightmare said to herself, trying to gather clues from their introductions.

Rosey continued on, pointing quickly at the earth ponies at the gate "Templar Stonehoof and Templar Stonehead. They are brothers."

Nightmare Moon looked away from the High Templar, watching the large fox instead. She ignored other names, awaiting to learn about this monstrous creature.

"And last but not least, student of..." Rosey paused upon feeling Lily's elbow strike her side. After a moment of holding a hoof against a damaged part of the armor, she continued, "The mighty multi-tailed kitsune, Priestess Kyuubi! This entire welcome was her idea."

"A Kitsune priestess, you say? I certainly have no memory of a ‘kitsune’ from days long past. Is your species native to Equestria?" she asked while softening her gaze. She didn't want to come across as hostile to the one who welcomed her in this glorious manner. She noticed the edge of one large, fluffy tail shine with a silver aura.

I can assure you, Your Majesty. I am not native to Equestria in the least. Furthermore, I believe I am the last member of my species. I was banished from faraway lands to this nation when I was young.

"Banished?" Nightmare Moon narrowed her eyes and gritted her teeth. This very word filled her with rage.

The large kitsune took a few seconds to raise her long forepaw to her chest, smiling sheepishly as her ears dropped. Oh, please don’t take that the wrong way. I was sent here not out of hostility but for my safety. She took even more time to raise the other paw, tapping them together nervously. My species and another hurt each other quite significantly, so there was much hostility. Priests and monks of that other species adopted and raised me in secret when I was little, but when the knights learned about me, I...Well, I had to go. For my safety as well as my caretakers’.

Nightmare Moon sighed and raised her hoof, slowly getting used to telepathic messages. "Let me guess. The citizens of Equestria took you in, thinking you're no different than any other fox. It must have been quite a surprise when you started outgrowing them."

W-well… I surprised them in some regards for sure. I never hid anything about myself, though. The ponies are kind and trusting to a fault. A large blush appeared on the kitsune's cheeks. I had some slip-ups here and there, but we worked them out.

"I see. I assume that you decided to spread teachings from the church that raised you." Nightmare Moon raised an eyebrow. "To be honest, I find it hard to believe that they would allow an animal such as you to become a priestess."

"She is NOT an animal. Why? Because she's not a pony? Because she looks like a wild fox?" Lily asked with a challenging tone, her eyes narrowed and stern.

"I was more concerned about them feeling uneasy around a priestess of such size.” Nightmare answered. "She is as big as some dragons, and relations between ponies and dragons were extremely violent."

“You’re concerned her size would get in the way? Not her being a different species?” Lily asked, caught off guard.

“Of course not. In our days, ponies interacted with many other species. Non-ponies holding high ranking positions weren't uncommon. Together, with that traitorous sister of mine, we tried to unite more than just three tribes, which caused many conflicts to occur regularly. Some involved quite a high amount of violence and usage of sharp weapons."

"Oooh," Rosey said, her expression filled with wonder. "So this is how ponies were in the past. Nowadays, we are way more friendly and less prone to conflict, but at the same time warier of non-ponies." She tapped her chin, looking at her large friend. "I wonder if it can be considered an improvement or a regression in our culture."

I believe it is an improvement. I experienced nothing but understanding and friendship in this kingdom. It feels as if ponies need a little push, and they quickly abandon their fears and isolationist ways.

Lily and Rosey chuckled.

"Should I assume that they accepted your faith?" Nightmare asked as she smiled for a moment from the previous interaction. She hid it quickly behind a firm glare.

Many did. A few years ago I became a priestess of the first church in Canterlot, and it slowly started to spread.

"And it was her idea to form the Knight Templars," Lily declared. She fixed the helmet on her head and puffed her chest. "My mentor Kyuubi is very subtle when it comes to faith. She speaks about it to those interested and does her best to set a good example, but doesn't force it. I think she could be a bit more assertive about it."

Now, now, my sweet little Lily. I mean, Hierarch Lily Longsock, Kyuubi corrected herself. I am foreign to this nation, so is my faith. As much as I wish to spread it, I don't want to be disrespectful. I will do no more than is expected of me.

"See, this is what I mean. Way too passive," Lily commented, receiving a nod from Rosey and a few of the other templars.

"And I assume your rank, the church, and Knight Templars, they all had to be approved by none other than Celestia, yes?" Nightmare asked, venom in her voice. The kitsune and others stared back at her in shock before looking to the side, the warm atmosphere suddenly replaced with a cold dead silence.

Nightmare Moon concentrated her magic, which alarmed the nearby guards. With a simple spell, she summoned bits of fog around her forelegs, rear legs, chest, and head. Once it dispersed, it revealed an armor that decorated her body.

The alicorn smiled in satisfaction and spoke to the slightly wary company. "As warm and enjoyable as our little exchange was, I would like to get straight to the point. Are there any ulterior motives? Why put so much effort into welcoming a banished princess?"

All eyes rested on the large kitsune, who lowered her raised paw with a weak thud. I will not lie to you. There is a reason why I assembled this meeting.

"I am listening." Nightmare Moon stood from her comfortable seat and spread her wings, her ears straightened and listening. She was not intimidated by the creature’s large size; After all, she had previously faced down the likes of adult dragons to keep the ungrateful ponies of old safe. Or at least, the much weaker Luna did.

Your goals, your motivation, your side of the story, I wish to learn them all. I want to negotiate for Luna's freedom and do everything in my power to ensure that your return won't involve conflict.

Nightmare Moon calmed a little, caught off guard by such a display of honesty. This kitsune didn't beat around the bush. "Negotiate for Luna's freedom, avoid conflict? How heroic and noble." She frowned, glaring at the kitsune for a moment.

The alicorn softened her glare and lowered her wings as the food and drinks on the table reminded her of the warm welcome she just experienced. "I suppose I should give you some credit for negotiating and trying to learn about my motives before playing alicorn-slaying heroes. For that alone, I shall cooperate- for now."

Deep inside, she knew how it was going to end, but a part of her wished to unwind. There was much weighing on her mind, and she was going to enjoy civil interactions with another creature as long as it would last. The mood in the room improved a little while the tension died down.

The alicorn levitated over an apple, taking a casual bite, enjoying its juicy-taste. Her dragoconic eyes threatened to produce tears of joy. For the stupendous assortment of food alone, she was going to satisfy kitsune's curiosity.