• Published 10th Oct 2020
  • 3,139 Views, 214 Comments

Tails of Sacrifice - CommanderX5



The day of Nightmare Moon’s return has almost come, and it is up to Twilight and the five-tailed kitsune Kyuubi to purify her of corruption. Unfortunately, to achieve victory, one must be ready to face struggles and to make sacrifices.

  • ...
7
 214
 3,139

Ch.4 - The Pool is Open, the Fluff is Fine

Tails of Sacrifice

-

Chapter 4

-

The Pool is Open, the Fluff is Fine


"I can't believe you won!" Rainbow Dash said as she flew next to a very tall Kyuubi, her attention on Fluttershy, who was perched on the kitsune's back. "I didn't know you had it in you. Heck, I had no idea there was anything that would awaken your competitive spirit. You rock, girl!"

The yellow pegasus kept her eyes closed, head raised high, while her rear legs and the lower part of her body sank in the rich fur. A wide satisfied smile was present on her face as one could hear a quiet humming coming from her closed mouth. Several birds nesting nearby added their melody into the mix, taking a ride on the Kyuubi Express, Rainbow Dash’s offering of praise not flustering her in the least.

Dash glanced at the lowered head of the kitsune, a common sign of defeat. The great Everfree Sage was not depressed, tearful or angry, but just pouting. Her woolly cheeks were puffy as she contemplated how she would win the next round. But for now, she took great comfort in the fact that she’d found a kindred spirit.

I admit defeat. Never before have I met a pony that could rival or even surpass me at showing affection. Kyuubi raised her head and looked back to smile at her comparatively small passenger. But I am not a sore loser. I know when praise is due. Honestly, I am glad I met somepony I can proudly call my superior in such a thing.

Dash noticed a magical aura on the second tail from the corner of her eye. A similar one surrounded Fluttershy, gently levitating the shy pony towards Kyuubi's head. She failed to notice any sign of fear or hesitation as Fluttershy giggled cheerfully after being placed between two large ears.

I officially acknowledge Lady Flutterbold as my rival and swear to work hard to improve so that I may one day best her. Kyuubi stopped in her tracks, taking a moment to rub her chin, now deep in thought. Now that I think about it, my downfall was the result of my limited agility. I couldn't keep up with Flutterbold at my full size, failing to deliver affection as she kept showing hers. She nodded decisively. I need to work on that.

“So, you’re going to exercise? Study pilates? Or maybe yoga?” Dash asked. Kyuubi ignored this bit of snark.

Fluttershy ran her hooves over the massive fluffy forehead she was perched on, much to Kyuubi’s enjoyment. "And I wish you the best of luck. I’m looking forward to our rematch and your improvements in agility. I’ll keep practicing too. Please look forward to more intense rubbing on your belly and cheeks."

Dash couldn't take her eyes off the confident Fluttershy, a sight of the highest rarity. Her ears perked up, and her eyes opened widely. "Wait, wait, wait. Did you just call her Flutterbold? What's up with that?" The enormous kitsune turned her head to the hovering rainbow-colored pegasus, staring back at her with a sassy smile.

After I realized that you lied about how shy she was, I decided that her name doesn't fit her personality. Flutterbold is just a little nickname I chose for my rival.

Rainbow sputtered denials as Fluttershy hid her blush behind her wings. "Dash wasn't lying. I am quite shy."

Sureee... Kyuubi moved her third tail to rub against Fluttershy's side, causing the pegasus to coo in enjoyment and nuzzle back, now relaxed again. I have met some bold and energical ponies in my life: My school friend Rosey was a ball of endless enthusiasm and stamina. Lily rushes into things and has an overwhelming strength. But even both of them combined aren't as bold as you are, Lady Flutterbold.

"Oh, you," Fluttershy said before hugging Kyuubi's ear with one hoof and rubbing it with the other.

Dash racked her brain to counter Kyuubi’s argument but decided against it. Seeing Fluttershy like this, it was easy to see why the giant fox didn’t believe her. It was animals, no two ways about it!

"I'm proud of you."

Dash looked down towards the source of the voice, her attention on Lily. The filly trotted next to Kyuubi, taking several quick steps for each long one of the colossal kitsune. The size difference between both powerhouses was hard to ignore.

"You can't compete with Twilight when it comes to magic, and the rivalry with Sunset had a terrible ending. Competing at showing affection is totally risk-free," Lily commented before jumping high up, wrapping her left foreleg around Kyuubi's right ear. Hanging, she added, "If it encourages you to improve your agility, I am behind it all the way!" She pushed herself onto kitsune's muzzle and puffed her chest while staring into one of Kyuubi’s big blue eyes. "You can practice on me. You'll be able to catch Flutterbold in no time."

"Not you too," Dash said, her tone of voice filled with annoyance. “Flutters is shy, I swear!”

"Who are Sunset and Rosey?" Fluttershy asked as she lowered herself onto her belly. Her rear hooves pressed towards the back of the kitsune's neck while her forelegs and chin sank into the fluff on the fox's head. “You use levitation and speak to me in my mind, but what else can you do? How did you become a student of Princess Celestia? I have so many questions." A sad whimper left Fluttershy's mouth. "Will you tell me more about yourself? Pretty please."

Lily climbed from Kyuubi's muzzle onto her head to look the curious pegasus in the eyes. "It seems we have an Apple storytelling two-point-O."

Fluttershy flinched backward with an ‘eep,’ landing on Kyuubi's back. "Oh my. Please don't jump in front of me like that. You startled me," she said in a calm, peaceful tone as she rubbed at Kyuubi’s fur for comfort.

"See. Told you Fluttershy was shy," Dash remarked.

Lily shook her forehoof dismissively. "Ponies get startled when caught off guard. It happens. Right Flutterbold?"

Dash facehooved. “Ugh!”

"Anyway, I don't think storytelling for just Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash will do. Maybe we should wait until we meet more ponies. It will save us some time instead of telling it over and over again."

I don’t mind telling it more than once, really.

Rolling her eyes, Lily looked around from the higher ground atop Kyuubi’s head. "Speaking of meeting more ponies, where's everypony? The streets have been empty for some time now."

Rainbow Dash quickly examined her surroundings. It has been a few minutes since they walked between two lines of colorful homes, heading towards the big tree in the middle of the town. Yet they haven't seen a single pony. "That's odd. Wait, somepony is coming." She pointed at the pink cloud of dust, or rather at the galloping pony that emerged from it.

"Rainbow Dash! There you are! I have big news!"

"Pinkie Pie?" Dash asked as she descended towards the earth pony, who was trotting in place at a rapid pace. She found her to be the most random and most energetic mare in town. While she admired Pinkie's speed and stamina, she found her somewhat annoying and unpredictable. She wasn't a fan of hanging out with her all that much. Still, hanging with Pinkie beats the hay outta hanging with Little Miss Snob Too Prissy To Live, AKA Rarity. "What's up?"

"Sun’s up, but that's not important. What's important is that there's a new pony in town. And you know what that means?" The moment Dash opened her mouth to answer, Pinkie beamed, "That's right. A surprise party!" A bunch of confetti was thrown over her head as bits of it landed on the pegasus.

Oh? Are you preparing a surprise party for Twilight? How very sweet. Who are you?

"My name's Pinkie Pie, and yes. I am preparing a super-duper surprise party and… And..." Pinkie paused and turned her head to the side, examining the kitsune from bottom to top. The closer she was to meeting Kyuubi's eyes, the wider her gasp became. Pinkie Pie summed up the creature in a single sentence: “That’s a lotta wool.”

Wool? Do I look like a humongous sheep to you?

“More like a mix between sheep and a fox. Why else would you have all that puffy white wool on you?”

My fur is fluffy, not woolly.

“You sure?”

Well, in most places it helps with cold temperatures. It also helps to keep my friends warm. Though now that you mention wool, I wonder if my fur would be a good clothing material.

Pinkie hopped in place in excitement. “Ooooh! I know just the pony you should talk to about that: My friend Rarity. Don’tcha think so, Dashie?”

Dash rolled her eyes at the thought. “Forget her! She’d probably pitch a fit at the thought of having a ‘dirty’ fox anywhere near her precious dresses. Let’s just focus on our new ponies, huh?” Dash grinned as the sudden realization came to her. "Hey Pinkie. When you said Twilight, you meant the second student of the princess, right? Well, the funny thing is... She's not the only newcomer in town. In fact, you kind of missed two."

"Wait. What?" Pinkie tilted her head to the side, her wild excitement now replaced with confusion.

Dash flew up and artistically gestured with her hoof as if introducing Wonderbolts themselves. "Pinkie, allow me to introduce you to Kyuubi. Princess Celestia's first student." She pointed down. "Kyuubi, meet Pinkie Pie. She's Ponyville’s party mare extraordinaire."


From underneath a great shadow, Pinkie's chin hit the floor with a weak thud before she closed her mouth with a hoof. Instead of a pony, she stared at a massive towering fox-like creature. Its puffy tails covered the entire street while its well-cared-for fur reflected sun rays. It was practically a walking bouncy/fluffy castle, almost as tall as a smaller-sized house. How did she miss someone that big?

Pinkie Pie? I heard you were responsible for entertainment for the upcoming celebration. The massive creature lowered its head and looked at her with a welcoming smile, one that easily rivaled some of Pinkie’s best. Even though this creature could probably snatch her up like a piece of bubblegum, her danger-detecting Pinkie Sense remained silent. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Pie. I hope preparations are going smoothly.

“Nooo!” The party mare placed hooves on both sides of her head and panicked. "Not only have I missed another new pony... a non-pony creature in town, but I spoiled the surprise. What have I done!? My reputation is ruined!"

She noticed Fluttershy peek from behind Kyuubi's neck, only to hide timidly after. What caught her attention was a filly that looked at her from atop of the kitsune's head. "There are more!?"

Unamused, Rainbow deadpanned, “That’s what I just said, Pinkie.”

"Hello there. My name is Lily. Lily Longsock. I am Kyuubi's student and her bodyguard. Nice to meet you."

Much to Pinkie's surprise, the filly jumped onto the kitsune’s large black nose before grabbing Pinkie’s hoof and shaking her whole body in a powerful hoof-shake. Pinkie walked backward shakily before shaking away her dizziness. She gritted her teeth and picked up a mirror from her tail. She looked at her reflection and said, "Not only did you miss two newcomers and spoil a surprise, but you were also outplayed at a welcoming hoof-shake! Get it together, Pinkie. Get. It. Together!"

Do you store items in your tail? Interesting. The kitsune glanced at one of her own tails thoughtfully. Could her tail-fur store items? Something to explore later.

Pinkie returned the hoof-sized mirror into her tail. She took a deep breath before standing on her rear hooves.

"Kyuubi, Lily, welcome to Ponyville! I can't believe I get to entertain not one pony, not two ponies, but also a massive many-tailed sheep-fox. It is so amazing. There will be snacks. There will be punch and so much more. You'll have the best of times."

Oh, thank you, but I already ate...

"Do you like sweets? There’ll definitely be sweets. There will be dancing and games. Have you ever played Pin The Tail On A Pony? How do you even dance on those big paws? You’d probably shake up a street or two!" Pinkie interrupted with a barrage of questions as she placed both hooves on Kyuubi's nose, forcing Lily to step backward between Kyuubi’s large eyes.

Well, I kind of danced with Fluttershy in a sense...

“You'll have the most welcoming welcome in your history of being welcomed. You can count on that as I am the best party mare. Your smile will be so wide…” The filly before her rolled her eyes, then grabbed her by her sides. Pinkie blinked as she was held above the filly's head.

"You talk too much. Chillax."

Pinkie shouted “Wheee!” as she was thrown over kitsune's head, bouncing and landing on her fluffy back. Fluttershy's yelping noise came to life in the background. As Pinkie was about to stand, a sudden odd sensation overcame her. She closed her eyes blissfully and started cuddling the rich fur in satisfaction. "Soooo soooft," she said in a smooth, enraptured voice.

"It is," Fluttershy said as she approached hesitantly, extending a shaking hoof to help her stand. "Glad you like it."

"I sure do!" Pinkie said as she pressed her cheek and chest into the fur while walking with her rear legs, pushing her body through the white garden. "I bet I can just swim in it."

"If only," Fluttershy joked while Lily climbed up towards them.

Go ahead and enjoy it. The pool is open. The fluff's fine! Kyuubi joked with a cheerful giggle as she stood up to her full height. She bestowed her passengers with a peaceful smile before resuming her walk, though still paying attention to the ponies. Dash flew next to her head.

"Don't mind if I do," Pinkie said before galloping towards the kitsune's neck. Once atop her head, she turned around and leaped forward, performing a somersault in mid-air before diving into the white mass.


Erm, That’s never happened before.

Kyuubi stared at her back with wide blue eyes as the party mare just vanished from her sight. Then noticed Pinkie's head peek from the fur before hiding in it. She felt an odd ticklish sensation as she resisted the urge to laugh or even scratch herself like a dog. Flutterbold and Lily seemed to share her shock.

Did she just... dive into my fur? Kyuubi asked. While her fluff was quite tall and certainly rich, it was not rich enough to hide a grown pony. Not for a decade or three anyway. Only Lily was small enough to vanish in it, and she wouldn’t be able to pull it off as easily as the party mare did. Pinkie not only hid her entire mass from Kyuubi’s sight but was apparently, and literally, swimming in it. B-b-but how?

"It's Pinkie Pie, don't question it," Dash said as she landed and sat on kitsune's head while Lily remained on her muzzle. Dash looked upside down into her big eye with a tired face, already done with the random mare’s antics. "Let's just say that Pinkie does this kind of weird stuff so often that it’s better to just accept it. Everypony in Ponyville has. Whether they like it or not."

If you say so, Kyuubi responded as she noticed a pink hoof emerged from her fur to grab and pull Flutterbold into the depths with a startled ‘eep!’ After several seconds, she saw both mares emerge from the middle part of her second tail. Kyuubi moved her essential limb over to her head to take a better look. While Pinkie giggled cheerfully, Flutterbold just started back with unblinking eyes and a sheepish smile.

"That... was an experience," Flutterbold said. After taking a moment to return to her senses, she flew up and started hovering in front of Kyuubi's muzzle. "I think I prefer regular cuddling rather than swimming with Pinkie. That was just strange."

"Can I swim with you!? Pretty please!" Lily shouted as she leaped from the muzzle, tackling the party mare.

Before Kyuubi knew it, her beloved student vanished with Pinkie, most likely literally swimming in her fur against all logic. She displayed a sheepish smile when Lily asked for more, once again resisting the urge to scratch her itching back and tail.

Kyuubi wouldn't risk injuring Pinkie Pie by accident, no matter how much her brain demanded she claw the itching spots. Though, she knew that Lily wouldn't mind it. While her teeth had anti-magical properties, her claws lacked it, not being much of a threat to the little durable powerhouse.

Suddenly, the small upside-down head of Rainbow Dash peeked into Kyuubi’s eye again from her perch. "Let's go to the library while Pinks is distracted. Knowing Pinkie, she gathered all the ponies there for a big party."

Agreed.