• Published 10th Oct 2020
  • 3,151 Views, 214 Comments

Tails of Sacrifice - CommanderX5



The day of Nightmare Moon’s return has almost come, and it is up to Twilight and the five-tailed kitsune Kyuubi to purify her of corruption. Unfortunately, to achieve victory, one must be ready to face struggles and to make sacrifices.

  • ...
7
 214
 3,151

Prologue

Tails of Sacrifice

-

Prologue


Celestia’s bedchamber is usually a little sanctuary where the princess can rest and recover her strength. Tonight, however, pleasant rest was the last thing on her mind.

She ignored a few shelves filled with literature that often helped her refresh her knowledge. Even the fireplace lacked its usual flames.

Instead of enjoying warm accommodations, the princess stood atop her private balcony, feeling the cold wind assault her wings and fur.

It was still too early to lower the sun or to stargaze with her trusty telescope, and she wasn't interested in admiring her capital.

The princess gazed at a little town on the horizon while many questions filled her mind: Will she hug her dear Luna again? Will Twilight take the final step in learning the meaning of true friendship? Will she manage to unlock the missing Element of Magic? Or will Kyuubi’s holy magic prove strong enough to free Luna from Nightmare’s influence? And most importantly, will she see all her loved ones in one piece again?

While she had two students, doubling her chances to succeed, it also meant she had twice as much to lose. Both the students she had grown to love could perish in the event of failure. This very thought caused her heart to beat at a rapid pace as she held her forehoof on her chest.

Keep it calm, Celestia, you have to believe in your pupils.

The princess flinched, nearly falling off of the balcony as a scroll popped into existence before her face.

With a flap of her majestic wings, Celestia flew up, returning to her previous spot on the balcony as she levitated over and unrolled the scroll. Her eyes opened wide. The only student knowing about my sister’s corruption is Kyuubi. How did Twilight…? No, Kyuubi promised that she wouldn’t tell Twilight, maybe Shining Armor did?

She kept reading, feeling as if her heart was trying to escape from her chest. Alright, Celestia. Just remain calm and improvise!

She walked inside, levitating over a feather pen, some ink and a scroll.

So somepony with neither my knowledge nor my consent wrote about the return of Nightmare Moon. How did they figure out when the seal would break? So many questions, so few answers. She groaned in annoyance. Regardless, if there’s a book, even if it’s forgotten or hidden, Twilight of all ponies will find it. It’s possibly her most annoying habit. Still, she’s far from the most annoying student I’ve ever had, a massive step above Sunset for sure. Her ears dropped. I wish I could salvage my relationship with Sunset. I miss her.

The moment her message vanished in flames, she sat and released a long sigh of relief. She had personally planned to send her students to Ponyville, maybe even escort them there. It was no longer the case.

Knowing Twilight, she would undoubtedly bombard her with questions, and the less the unicorn knew about Nightmare Moon, the better. If Kyuubi succeeds, all the better. If she fails, it will be up to Twilight and potential Element Bearers. Their friendship needed to form naturally.


Twilight groaned, standing on her rear hooves with her forehooves on the side of the chariot. “A dusty old fairy tale? I can’t believe she called a danger to Equestria a dusty old fairy tale.”

A moment later, she heard a mental message in her mind. And what did you expect? That written legends can count as evidence?

“Kyuubi is right. Just focus on the Summer Sun Celebration and make some friends,” Spike advised, holding the response from Her Highness in his claws.

“For your information, the statistical evidence for legends turning out to be the truth is surprisingly high in Equestria, reaching approximately seventy-seven point six-eight percent.” Twilight raised her head and turned to a fellow student. “You… don’t look too good, are you airsick?” She stared at the fox-like creature, who lay on her side with exhaustion clear in her half-closed eyes.

Her attention focused on five long puffy tails as each tail gave the kitsune a specific specialty. She noticed a silvery aura surrounding her second tail, this one responsible for communication. Telepathy and telekinesis, to be precise.

Try cutting away forty years with an advanced version of the age-altering spell. See if you would look any better, Kyuubi retorted, sounding somewhat peeved. She massaged her forehead with a paw. She looked back to Twilight with remorse. Sorry for snapping. I’ve got a lot of things on my mind too.

“It’s okay, Kyuubi, I get it,” Twilight said, smirking. “But to be fair, I’m not even half as old as you. I guess you’re getting cranky in your old age,” Twilight teased, earning a pouty frown in return.

Next to the kitsune sat a pink filly with a violet mane, an earth pony with a hedgehog cutie mark. Despite her young and defenseless appearance, Twilight was fully aware that it was misleading in more ways than one.

While Celestia had two students, Kyuubi had adopted one of her own, a cursed earth pony named Lily Longsock. Kyuubi had purified her curse, replacing it with a powerful blessing. And knowing Lily, Ponyville was going to witness her power first hoof.

“You could have asked our mentor to reduce your age. You know you need to conserve your magic in order to stay alive.“ Twilight lectured, “Exhausting your reserves on draining spells is very unreasonable.”

“Miss Bookworm has a point there,” Lily said in a teasing tone as the unicorn frowned in response. “You need to watch your health. You’re far from invincible.”

You don’t have to tell me twice. I wish I had ponies’ strength and durability because, to be frank, I feel as if I was made of paper. Kyuubi licked her lips and gulped before looking away. Feeling vulnerable aside, I smell intensely concentrated and delicious magic from both of you. She stomped, her paw making weak thudding noise on the metallic chariot. Stupid instincts!

Lily gently stroked kitsune’s forepaw.

I know I can keep it in check, but it is still frustrating. Kyuubi pushed herself into a sitting position, smiling upon feeling the wind on her fur. The chariot itself was painted in golden color and was extra-large to store four pony-sized passengers.

Spike crossed his arms. “Even if this legend is true, what can one alicorn do against the entire nation? Besides, Princess Celestia and Princess Cadence can team up, making it two alicorns against one. You worry way too much.”

Lily puffed and rubbed her chest, her head raised in pride. She spoke with confidence strong in her voice, "And they can always count on special forces. With me in charge and on the frontlines, even an evil alicorn doesn't stand a chance." She lowered her hoof and looked at Twilight with a grin on her face. "And in past years, we did your brother a favor and ensured that the Royal Guard has at least some level of competence."

Spike placed his hand on Lily's shoulder and commented, "If by that you mean giving them all training and a beating at least once a month, then yes, they are more than capable. Go, boot-camp Lily!" As he pressed his cheek against filly's, he looked at Twilight with a reassuring smile. "See? You have nothing to worry about."

Twilight leaped forward, pressing her muzzle against Spike's nose. She asked, "Are you saying I should just sit back and do nothing!?"

Spike gently pushed her muzzle away. Now free, he approached a bag that was half his size, picking up the response from the princess. Showing it to Twilight, he said, "‘Oversee preparations, make friends, have some fun.’ Even your mentor tells you to loosen up."

Lily leaped to the side and whispered into Spike's right ear, "Easier said than done. I've been working on her for years. Still a work in progress."

Spike whispered back, "Helping Twilight chill isn't simple work." He chuckled. "But rather a life-long career."

“You know I can hear you,” Twilight said, crossing her hooves. Lily and Spike’s grins were unrepentant.

I must agree with Spike. Since it will be our first time in Ponyville, we should leave a good first impression and befriend our neighbors.

Twilight lowered her head and sighed. "Alright, alright, I will play along, at least for now, but we need to be efficient."

Efficient? We know what that means. Kyuubi glanced at Spike and Lily, winking.

"She means checklists," Spike affirms.

Unamused, Twilight stomped twice, trying to get everyone's attention. "Kyuubi and Lily, you're group one. Spike and I will form group two. We will share our tasks and get things done twice as fast."

The little earth pony nodded, leaping up in excitement.

No jumping in the speeding chariot, please," Kyuubi said as she caught the filly in mid-air with her magic.

Lily giggled before smashing her hooves against one another, summoning waves of magic that neutralized the silvery aura that held her in place. She quickly perched herself atop kitsune's back.

As the colorful homes came into view, Twilight stretched herself and called, "Spike, please fetch me my trusty checklists.”

“Called it,” Spike said as he dug into a saddlebag with a purple star decorating it. He picked up and juggled a few scrolls until one accidentally fell off the chariot and was caught by Twilight’s levitation.

“S-sorry.”

As the chariot finally landed, Twilight attached the saddlebag onto her side and stepped onto the solid ground, scrolls, and pen in her levitation. “Attention!” She addressed the rest of the crew as even the escorting pegasi saluted, respecting her and her brother’s authority.

Twilight finished writing on one scroll, creating a checklist for the duo before her. She levitated it towards Lily for safekeeping. “I need you to go to Sweet Apple Acres and check on the food supply.”

She looked up, narrowing her eyes and stomping with one forehoof as many white clouds still lingered in the sky, blocking the rays of the sun. "Then find a pegasus named Rainbow Dash. She's in charge of the weather, and I believe she needs some encouragement."

"Don't worry. If Kyuubi's diplomacy fails, you can count on me." Lily grinned and stretched her limbs, causing a few bone-snapping noises. "I have my ways."

Kyuubi unrolled the given scroll with the help of her second tail, levitating the to-do-checklist before her face.

So you will visit Miss Rarity and Pinkie Pie, who are in charge of entertainment and decorations. In that case, I volunteer to check on Miss Fluttershy. Listening to some calming music sounds lovely. Kyuubi levitated over Twilight's pen, adding one more name into the list. Where should we regroup afterward?

"The local library. It is located inside a large tree, very hard to miss." She pointed at a tree that towered over a sea of colorful homes.

Spike ran over before digging maps from the saddlebag. "I can't believe you didn't pack anything. But we got you covered. I took a spare map just for you." He threw one map at kitsune, who caught it with her levitation.

"Let's get it over with quickly. Maybe I'll find more information about Nightmare Moon in the local library. So the faster, the better."

"Not this again!" Spike said, facepalming. "What happened to leaving a good first impression and making friends?" He pointed at the approaching earth pony, who did so in a bouncy manner.


Kyuubi watched as the first contact with the locals ended in colossal failure as the citizen of Ponyville just gasped and ran away the moment Twilight said a few words.

“Well, so much for leaving a good first impression and making friends. We can check that off the list,” Twilight commented in annoyance. “Time to get the job done. I am counting on you, Kyuubi. See you soon at the library.“

The two groups went their separate ways, no longer seeing each other a few minutes later. Aside from Kyuubi's student, a few colorful homes and few confused bystanders kept the kitsune company. Fortunately, the Sweet Apple Acres didn't seem to be too far from their landing zone as long green hills covered by trees slowly came into view.

“So, what’s the real plan?” Lily asked from a comfortable spot atop kitsune’s back.

What do you mean?

“Isn’t this obvious? We both know that Nightmare is returning, and we must do something about it.” Lily raised her head pridefully. “How bout this. I’ll knock her out with a sneaky punch so you can purify her. That’s a perfect plan.”

I wish it could be that easy, but I know better than to underestimate an alicorn. Our friends will help us out. A few ponies stopped in their tracks to look at the filly riding a big fox, giving them odd glances.

Kyuubi ignored it, concentrating on sending mental messages only to her little assistant. Princess Celestia was so insistent on keeping Twilight in the dark. I hope she won’t need to get too involved if I can help it.

“I dunno. Twilight may be a bookworm, but that mare’s got serious force behind her magic. Not to mention, our practices got her into good shape and gave her some combat experience. I hate to admit it, but she would make a great third team member.”

She certainly would. Kyuubi chuckled at the competitiveness of her student as she took in the view of her surroundings. An apple tree stood next to an apple tree that stood next to an apple tree, and it was hard to tell where the orchard ended. To think just one family runs an orchard of this size. Kyuubi passed under the small arch that served as the entrance to the farm, the thin frame decorated thickly with vines and apples.

“Meh, I could run it myself,” Lily remarked before stopping and pointing towards ahead. “Look!”

“Yeehaw!” The pair diverted their attention to the sound of galloping, spotting an orange-furred, blonde maned mare with a stetson field hat atop her head. The mare rushed towards an apple tree and did a smooth about-face to knock into the tree with her rear hooves. Amazingly, the apples of all colors fell into the surrounding wooden buckets, none missing their mark. The apple mare had her head tilted up with a proud smile on her face, a front hoof crossing over the other.

Her balance between power and technique is perfect. I love it, Kyuubi thought aloud as she found herself impressed by the mare's efficiency. She quietly clapped with her forepaws.

Her assistant jumped quite a distance from her back, mimicking the farm pony’s technique on a nearby apple tree. A rain of apples followed the moment her little hooves hit the towering tree, which grabbed the orange mare’s full attention.

“Hey, what do ya think yer doin’? That’s our property you are spilling all over the ground, lil missy!”

“Sorry. Seeing you in action, I couldn’t help myself.” Lily trotted circles around the farmer. “How did I do?”

“Wait, all those apples. Ya did that? How many kicks? How long were ya at it?”

“Just one. I tried to be gentle.”

“Just one!?” She gasped, but calmed down quickly and chuckled. “Yeah, sure, Ah know yer pullin’ mah leg. Even Apple Bloom ain’t that strong. How old are ya anyway?”

“Twenty five. I’m way older than I look.”

“Say whaaat?”

Kyuubi chuckled at mare’s reaction, deciding to introduce herself. Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you. My name is…

“Huh, who said that?” asked the earth pony, looking around in confusion before flinching. “Watch out, a giant wolf!”

Excuse me?! Kyuubi raised her forepaw and eyebrow in annoyance. If anything, at least call me a mighty fox. She grimaced. Why was she even called giant when she had shrunk herself to the size of an average pony? I take offense to that.

“Ah’ll protect ya!” Applejack said as she bypassed Lily and jumped forward.

Kyuubi took a step back, her eyes wide and heartbeat rapid. The farm mare closed the distance in an instant and now held raised rear legs ready to strike her chest. She closed her eyes and gritted her teeth, expecting a broken ribcage and multiple cracked bones.

“Get the hay off of mah farm. No pony meat for ya, ya nasty varmint!”

Kyuubi awaited the impact, only to hear a clash of hooves and a yelping noise. She slowly opened one eye, then another, seeing the farm mare stuck against a cracked tree as she imagined stars circling over the mare’s head. She looked down, receiving a proud smile from Lily. “Don’t worry. You’re safe with me.” The filly puffed her chest. “Nopony, nor any other creature will hurt you on my watch.”

“Ouch… mah brain hurts…”

Kyuubi smiled awkwardly while a silvery aura surrounded her third tail. She approached, placing her paw on the forehead of the confused mare, healing her injury. It wasn’t how she had imagined a meeting with the locals to go. As the farm mare panicked, Lily leaped forward and held her against the tree, and it seemed to be only a matter of time until the tree would end up pulled out by its roots in the struggle.

Please calm down! I am not an intruder, and I have no intention of harming you. I’m here to oversee preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration.

“Huh? Wait. Are ya the one whose voice Ah hear in mah head?”

Correct. The kitsune lowered herself, trying to look as peaceful and vulnerable as possible. My name is Kyuubi. I’m one of the two personal students of Princess Celestia, and I am speaking to you telepathically. It is my task to oversee the preparations for the upcoming celebration and to see if you require any assistance with providing food. Please take my deepest apologies for scaring you.

The farm mare just kept staring back, her eyes wide as she slowly came to a realization. “Yer… yer… and Ah tried to… Ponyfeathers!”

The large fox favored the farm pony with a warm smile she learned from years around her mentor. Please, don’t feel bad, I forgive you. Honestly, I should also apologize that Lily used force against you, miss. Ummm… Is it too much to ask for an introduction?

“Apple… Applejack…” Applejack said, no longer held prisoner by the smaller earth pony. A big red blush was present on her cheeks.