• Published 10th Oct 2020
  • 3,139 Views, 214 Comments

Tails of Sacrifice - CommanderX5



The day of Nightmare Moon’s return has almost come, and it is up to Twilight and the five-tailed kitsune Kyuubi to purify her of corruption. Unfortunately, to achieve victory, one must be ready to face struggles and to make sacrifices.

  • ...
7
 214
 3,139

Ch.5 - Rarity and a Sophisticated Fox

Tails of Sacrifice

-

Chapter 5

-

Rarity and a Sophisticated Fox


For the next few minutes, Kyuubi's eyes remained narrowed as her face displayed numerous expressions of struggle, fighting not to squirm or shake herself out at the tingling in her fur. A few drops of sweat formed on her forehead. While it wasn't the first time she was tickled or had an itch, it never dragged on this long, causing her an immense struggle. Luckily, Dash and Flutterbold both sat between her ears, not seeing her suffering, and she wouldn't dare worry them.

Thinking up a solution and curious if it would work, she summoned holy magic from her third tail, which cast a glow along her body, then sighed in relief. The never-ending tickling was finally gone. It seems my healing magic works on itching like a personal calamine lotion. Good to know, she thought, finally ending her ongoing struggle. She kept applying it in small doses, keeping the itching at bay.

As she was getting closer to the big tree, which seemed to be only twice as tall as her when she walked on all four paws, a large group of ponies came into view. Mares, stallions, little fillies, colts, unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies. Pony citizens of all races and sizes were gathered around the library in a circle as a loud murmur filled the area. She failed to recognize their words from the chaotic noise, but from the tone of it seemed as if the crowd was worried about something. As she walked closer with slow and careful steps, a scream of panic reached her ears.

“Everfree monster!”

Kyuubi looked at the panicking mare, whose hoof pointed at her accusingly. A pink earth pony with a golden mane and a little white flower between her ears.

“The horror, the horror!”

Contrary to Kyuubi’s fears, the pony didn’t run but instead fainted alongside two of her friends. Soon, a hundred pairs of eyes looked at her.

Gulping, she took a deep breath to steel herself and then opened her eyes back up. She smiled warmly and raised her forepaw, slowly waving at the crowd. As much as she wanted to assure them that she wasn't a giant, invading monster, there was no way she could speak to so many ponies at once.

“Those drama queens are worse than Rarity!” Rainbow Dash groused. The rainbow colored mare flew from Kyuubi’s head and spoke to the crowd. "Keep calm everypony. No need to panic!"

"Everypony panic!"

Ten seconds later, the panic happened as ponies scattered in all directions. Some hid behind the tall tree. Some ran indoors, resulting in a few broken doors and windows. A few fillies and colts hid behind a tall sign with a book written on it. The pegasi hid behind roofs of nearby homes, overseeing the situation. Even the three unconscious mares were carried away by stallions.

"P-please, d-don't be s-scared. Kyuubi is f-friendly," Flutterbold said with a timid voice, which became lost among screams of panic.

The great kitsune only looked about at all the frightened, cowering ponies, trying not to make any sudden moves. Kyuubi's ears drooped, a sign that the pegasus on her head quickly noticed. While she wanted ponies to be wary of her, she hoped they would only keep a safe distance and respect her privacy. Seeing them panic-filled, running away while calling her a monster, it filled her with so much sadness. She had behaved for decades. She was a dangerous tamed predator, but a monster? After everything that her mentor and her friends have done for her? Never. While she hoped some ponies wouldn't trust her, she had not realized how much it would hurt.

"Aw, in the name of Celestia, stop running already! She's friendly! Are you even listening!?" Dash shouted as she flew left and right, addressing numerous ponies who ignored her.

"C-calm down, everypony," Flutterbold said, this time with a bit louder tone. Her legs trembled as she refused to cower from the panicked ponies. "You're hurting her feelings."

Kyuubi lowered her head and whimpered, forcing her passenger to hold onto her ear. She sighed and unleashed what sounded akin to a puppy’s whining. She looked back up the moment Flutterbold started hovering in front of her face.

"Calm down, please!"

Her rival wanted to stick up for her, but the noise in the air was too loud. Concentrating, she focused magic on her fifth tail, preparing a hybrid spell.

During the loud lecture three years ago, she had first heard the 'Royal Canterlot Voice' in action, and the princess later explained how to use magic to enhance one's voice. Of course, she wasn't good with spells that were out of her specialty. But this is where Zecora's teaching came into play; lessons on how to control and enhance inner magic, and her fifth tail specialized in that. By combining what she learned from Zecora and Princess Celestia, using her fifth tail as a mic, she bestowed Flutterbold with a vocal boost of the highest magnitude.

"Everypony calm down! Kyuubi is the friendliest creature I’ve ever met! She may be very big, but she's nothing but peaceful and kind! Stop panicking and apologize for hurting her feelings this instant!"

Waves of Flutterbold's voice knocked nearby ponies off balance. Branches of the tree started moving as hundreds of leaves flew into the air. Silence filled the air as everypony now looked at the loud pegasus, staring in disbelief.

Rainbow Dash shook her head from her crash, finding herself lying on top of a sign with a book on it. She landed on the ground and turned to Flutterbold, her mouth agape.

Wearing a swim mask and snorkel, Pinkie Pie and Lily emerged from Kyuubi's neck, done with swimming as they curiously scouted the area for the source of the noise.

Kyuubi looked at Flutterbold in pride, who quickly moved her hooves over her mouth before she curled herself into a ball in mid-air. Flustered, she hastily zipped behind Kyuubi’s ear.

"Look at that. Fluttershy is riding that beast."

"She musta tamed it."

"It's safe everypony!"

The crowd reassembled as quickly as it scattered, surrounding the library once again. A few of the more curious pegasi flew over to Kyuubi to stroke her legs and sides.

You have my gratitude, Lady Flutterbold. You're so dependable. I bet you're the bravest and boldest member of your family, Kyuubi praised as she pulled Fluttershy with her levitation. Once the hold on her ear was overpowered, she started to nuzzle the little pegasus.

"W-well...I’m sorry, but you're wrong. That would be my brother Zephyr." Fluttershy narrowed her eyes while still holding her forehooves curled under her neck. "N-not that I could allow them to treat you like that. How can I stand aside when my animal friends need help?"

Before Kyuubi could ask her rival if she views her and all non-ponies as animals, she was interrupted by Rainbow Dash. "What the heck was that? Did you make Fluttershy's voice so loud?"

Kyuubi nodded. I merely aided Flutterbold in addressing the ponies. I had no idea she had a beast-tamer reputation. She's more respected than I thought.

"What?" Dash asked, spreading her forehooves. "What!?"

"Oh, so she calmed down a panicked crowd who called you a monster? So this is what was happening. I was wondering why I heard lots of panicked screams." Lily leaped onto Kyuubi's head, staring at Flutterbold in amazement. "I had no idea you were this cool. Heck, you may be even cooler than Dash."

Rainbow Dash astoundedly stared at Lily, her mouth even more agape than ever before. She closed it and massaged her chin, most likely hurt from gasping so often in one day. She crossed her forehooves and said, "W-whatever. Flutters is my best friend. Not like I care if you wrongly think she’s cooler than me. I’m not that big a jerk." She turned to the side, though Kyuubi noticed her cheeks puff out a great deal, a clear sign of the pegasus' annoyance.

Pinkie Pie leaped onto the ground from four meters height, asking a nearby unicorn, "Why is everypony outside? The surprise party was supposed to be inside the library. What's the hold-up?"

The unicorn stallion pointed at the door and said, "Well, about that." He sighed." The new pony reached the library first and is now checking out tons of books with Rarity's help."

"What!?" Pinkie shouted, causing the stallion to step backward. She stomped repetitively. "So now even my surprise party is ruined. Why's everything going so wrong? Am I cursed?" She looked ahead with a tearful expression on her face, as her hair became less puffy and flatter. Her always pink fur gained a shade of grey.

Kyuubi lowered her head, her cheek a meter away from the party mare. I'm so sorry. If I didn't check on Ponyville's preparations, Twilight would have remained occupied for a lot longer. Is there anything I can do to make up for it?

Pinkie calmed down and regained her colors, her and tail mane once again puffy. She turned to the kitsune. "Awww... You care so much. I can't be mad at you. Come here!" She leaped forward and embraced the muzzle in a hug. She freed it and looked at Kyuubi with a hopeful smile. "If we can’t have an indoor surprise party, we can always have an outdoor party. Can you help me with that?”

S-sure. Just tell me what to do. Though, there's a way I like to greet ponies, especially new friends, a little initiation of mine. Maybe it will keep ponies entertained.

"A secret technique? Oooh. I like the sound of that.” Pinkie’s hair frizzed back up.

Both Kyuubi and Pinkie looked at the entrance into the library, hearing the noise of the opening door. A white mare walked outside with graceful steps, her face unamused. It was Little Miss Snob Too Prissy To Live.

"Is it too much to ask for a bit of peaceful silence? I swear, this was the loudest library session I’ve ever had in my life." The mare shot nearby ponies disapproving glares. "I expected ponies of this town to have at least a bit of decency and not scream from the bottom of their lungs. So uncouth."

"Hey, Rarity! Have you been in there all this time?"

Rarity wiped a patch of dust from her chest before turning her head to the party mare. "Not all the time. I tried to gift a student of the princess with..." She paused, raising a hoof to her mouth as she let out a dramatic gasp. "Sweet Celestia!"

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Here it comes.” She turned to the hiding canary colored pegasus. “Flutters, you may wanna get ready.”

Kyuubi’s ears dropped as she lowered her head to the ground to appear less intimidating. She gave her best puppy look which had most of the other ponies d-awwing at the sight, making them feel silly for being afraid of what had to be a giant puppy. Please remain calm. There's nothing to-”

Rarity interrupted, pointing at the kitsune. “Just look at that beautiful coat of fur!”

Fear...Huh?

“Huh?!” Rainbow was flabbergasted. It wasn’t what she was expecting at all from this particular mare.

Rarity did a short walk around the colossal kitsune, a wide grin on her face. She occasionally ran a hoof over the great fox’s legs and tails, liking what she felt very, very much. “Such a well kept pelage. And those beautiful, beautiful tails! I take it you are Kyuubi?"

Um, correct.. My name's Kyuubi.

"I apologize for my forwardness, darling. Twilight did mention you and that you can speak telepathically, yet failed to say you were of such a tall posture and wonderful coiffure! Moreover, she completely understated how positively magnificent you were!"

Blushing deeply, Kyuubi relaxed her tense muscles, her worries unfounded. If she remembered correctly, Miss Rarity was responsible for decorations, and Rainbow Dash didn't have the best impression of her. The kitsune lowered her head back toward the ground near the white unicorn. I get that a lot. Remarks about my size, anyway. Though I must admit, you took seeing me at my full size better than most ponies here.

Rarity raised an eyebrow as she stopped a meter in front of the big muzzle. "That is what this noise was all about?" She held forehoof on her chest and lowered her head apologetically. "Please, accept my deepest apologies, Lady Kyuubi. Regardless of your size and species, you deserve proper respect as a student of her majesty. Honestly, it is not as though you are one of those awful rumored Timberwolves or even some average rat. Your well-kept splendor is a sign of your station. I think everypony should see you are no feral beast."

Lily jumped to the ground and trotted to Rainbow Dash. "Wow. She sure knows how to be polite, and she knows how to give out compliments. First, you lie about Flutterbold, and now this. You're too judgemental."

"Yeah, sure. Add it to the list." The pegasus groaned and massaged her forehead. "This is not my day."

Kyuubi bashfully smiled and sat, still towering over the fashion mare. She extended her paw, holding it in front of Rarity while gesturing with her head welcomingly. The mare smiled with a hint of excitement before she climbed onto her forepaw.

The kitsune raised Rarity to her face, ignoring Pinkie and other ponies who were setting up tables with snacks in free space around the library. A pleasure to meet you, Lady Rarity. Since Twilight told you about me, I will skip my introduction. I hope preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration are progressing without any issues.

"Preparations are finished already." Rarity stood on her rear legs and raised her head in pride. One hoof was on her chest while another pointed at a tall building. "While it is not my field of expertise, I put my best efforts into making sure that the Townhall is ready to welcome Her Highness. I can only hope our humble accommodations will be to her liking." She lowered herself, now standing on four hooves on the sole of kitsune's paw. "Would you like to do an inspection?"

Kyuubi shook her head, though her big size meant her movements took extra seconds. I will trust your word. For now, I promised Pinkie Pie that I would aid her in entertaining everypony here. Besides, I can’t fit through the door anyway, so my expertise wouldn't be much of a help.

"Understandable," Rarity said as she walked on Kyuubi's foreleg towards her chest before inspecting it again with a detailed eye. "I do apologize again for my forwardness, but truly, your fur is so well-cared for and of very high quality. I don't see crumbs, or dirt, at all. Do you use polishing shampoo or visit the spa often?"

Oh, I love the spa, especially the massages session, and I take great pride in my fur. I comb it every day. Considering how often ponies wish to make contact with it, keeping it flawless and clean is very important. The kitsune gestured at her third tail with her other paw. Plus, a little bit of holy magic heals any sudden injury.

"Elegant and healthy. Honestly, darling, you should have had these ponies pay you for mere contact with your fur," Rarity joked as she kept rubbing at the fur on Kyuubi's chest. She sank her cheek into it, cooing at the feeling of it against her face. She quickly withdrew her head a moment later, a faint blush on her cheeks. "A-anyway, I cannot help but wonder. Have you ever tried to wear clothes? I specialize in ponies clothing, but I can try to make something for you."

That's very sweet of you, Lady Rarity, but I must decline. Seeing drooped ears and a disappointed pout on Rarity's face, she added, Oh, please, don't feel sad. It’s not you, it is me! I’ve entered a phase of my life where I grow super fast. Nothing you make would last me very long. Not to mention all the efforts to make something for someone of my size. I could never trouble you like that, my little pony.

Lily leaped towards the foreleg, hanging on it with her forehooves. "Also, why would you want to hide all that fluffy fur?"

"I understand what you mean. However, I do believe that a decorative assortment would only enhance the beauty of your splendid fur. Would you consider wearing an adjustable necklace?"

Kyuubi tapped her neck, thoughtful. I would consider it. Seeing a hopeful smile grow on Rarity's face, she asked, Do you think there's something I can wear that would fit a tea party? Or a banquet?

Rarity beamed a toothy smile, showing her shining teeth. "Of course, my fair lady. I believe a sash or a bowtie would add some elegance."

I think a bowtie would be more than enough. How much does it cost?

“Cost? Oh no, no, no. Consider it a gift. I already shared my dresses with Twilight Sparkle. It would not be fair if I charged you for my work.”

So you shared your dresses with Twilight? And she made you search for books in the library for her? What went on between you two?

Rarity stood on her rear hooves and rubbed her side against Kyuubi’s chest. “It was a bonding experience. After she checked on the Cakes, since Pinkie Pie was impossible to find, she inspected my decorations. After she helped me finish the last touches, I convinced her to join me at my Boutique.

So she helped you. I suppose she is a bit of a perfectionist. I hope her aid was most helpful, Kyuubi said, feeling a little jealous of the fellow student. When she offered her assistance to the Apple family and Fluttershy, they didn't require it. Though Pinkie Pie had asked for her help with the party, and now she wanted to make it a success even more.

"Perfectionist indeed, but it is something I admire about her. Thanks to her aid, we got the job done a lot faster. Not to mention the improvements in quality." Rarity withdrew from the fur and once again blushed in embarrassment, this being the third time she’d made direct contact. "I apologize for disrespecting your personal space so repeatedly. It is so unladylike of me. Forgive me?" She looked up to the kitsune’s face with apologetic puppy eyes of her own.

Kyuubi just kept smiling at the fashionista, resisting the urge to poke/nudge her with the tip of her nose. She suspected a classy mare like Rarity wouldn't appreciate it. She did bring her head closer, softly nuzzling the fashionista with her cheek, which the unicorn mare cheerfully accepted. Please don't apologize. It is something I have enjoyed for years. I welcome it. Anyway, what happened next?

"Afterwards, I invited her to my boutique. She was very patient, both testing and even commenting on all my dresses. And her young assistant was such a gentle-dragon." Rarity pointed at the library. "When she asked me to assist her in finding a book about a legend regarding the Mare in the Moon or any book with information about the Elements of Harmony, I just couldn't refuse."

I assume she’s still looking for the book.

"Oh no, she found one already. She's currently reading it, so I decided to check on all this commotion."

I see. Kyuubi bit her bottom lip as she looked at the large tree nervously. Somehow, Twilight had found a book. It was among her most annoying habits. She needed to keep Twilight away from the Royal Castle, or else her plan would fall apart. With the first idea that popped into her mind, she said, I have an idea.

"I am listening," Rarity said as she sat back down on Kyuubi's paw again, looking back curiously. Lily sat ahead of the mare due to lack of space on the sole, curious herself.

Maybe you can convince Twilight to be your model for, for..." Kyuubi pointed at the fluff on her chest. "For a clothing series made of my fur."

"Your what?"

The kitsune chuckled nervously upon receiving confused looks from Rarity and Lily. I mean, I have so much of it. It grows fast, and Pinkie gave me this funny idea. If ponies love my fur so much, why not make clothes out of it? It will keep Twilight distr...rewarded. Yes, clothes for all of my friends made of my white fur would be a great gift. She glanced to the left and right nervously. And in return, I can provide more of it regularly for your new line of puffy clothing. It can make a winter collection. Please tell me it is a great idea.

Rarity lowered herself and rubbed her forehoof against fur on Kyuubi's foreleg. Lily assisted by cutting a sample with a hoof, giving it to the fashionista. "Thank you." After further inspection, rolling and bending the fur with her magic, she looked into Kyuubi's eyes and nodded. "We have a deal." She raised her forehoof, which Kyuubi shook with the tip of her forepaw.

Kyuubi lowered her paw, allowing Rarity to step onto the solid ground. The mare trotted away, then galloped towards what the kitsune assumed was her boutique.

"Kyuubi, can you help me with the tables?"

S-sure.