• Published 20th Sep 2020
  • 900 Views, 46 Comments

Season 10: Dawn of a new generation of Harmony - xombiekilla



After the end of Season 9, the future was revealed and the show came to a close. But is this really how everything ends?

  • ...
 46
 900

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter twenty-four: Counterfeit and conniver; defending the empire.

Cadence, Shining, and everyone else were gathered in the Crystal Empire Dining Hall, each having a seat as they pulled up to wait for their dinners. "So, is everyone comfy?" Cadence looked at everyone as they all nodded.

"I am. What about you, Luna?"

"Yes, sister, I am. Tis lovely cushions you have installed here, Cadenza. Did you do some renovations?"

"Not really, Luna. The castle doesn't need to be renovated. I update my furnishings occasionally, especially when they get old."

"Well, you've got wonderful tastes then. So Twilight. Have you anything planned in the morrow?"

"Well, not really, Luna. Besides continuing my self-appointed journey to fight for our country. I'll have to be there to check up on Spike, Tempest, and Gallus. I cannot forget my job as Equestria's ruler. But I also cannot allow the Tainted to threaten our safety."

"Pardon me, Tainted?" Cadence asked as she listened to Twilight and Luna.

"Yeah. They're terrible creatures that were recently discovered in Equestria. They go around hunting for innocent and guilty ponies and creatures and preying on their desires, emotions, and insecurities. Exploiting that as their weaknesses. Then, they steal your Heart once they defeat you."

"Oh. That's so foul. How could such creatures like that even exist here?"

"That's not all they can do, Cadence. They also use what's left of the body whose Heart they stole from to make more of them, like a plague—spreading their influence around Equestria. They're attracted to negative emotions and sometimes innocence." Twilight finished with a deep breath, "phew. That was a mouth full to explain."

"That sounds so awful. Rest assured, they'll never enter my Empire while the Crystal Heart here is active. My Shiny-bear and I will see to that." Cadence said confidently as she reached over to hug Shining Armor in the seat next to hers.

"But the Crystal Heart is anything but immune to damage. Remember the time when Flurry Heart made it shatter? The Empire nearly froze over. We need to ensure it's protected, round the clock."

"You're right, Twilight. This is why Shining is training that small hoofful of soldiers; they will soon be ready to guard the Crystal Heart."

"I sure hope so. I get concerned for you, Cadence, you know that." Twilight said as she felt she needed to be ready for something that she knew nothing of but felt would happen soon, "I'll do my best to ally myself with Cadence as much as possible."

"We appreciate that so much, Twily. Together, we'll be able to keep Equestria strong against the forces of evil. They'll never prevail. Never." Cadence said as she kissed Shining on his left cheek, and he blushed.

"That's right. We'll always be strong as long as the bonds of friendship stay strong." Shining declared in the agreement.


"So then, what plans do we have to get past those guards patrolling around the door to the Crystal Heart? I hope that all this time to brood wasn't in vain." Mean Twilight said to Chrysalis, who was still in disguise.

"Hardly in vain, Mean. Observe Grubber at work. Now it's your time to distract. Once you get their attention, I'll go inside and feast on that succulent love that should cause it to be weak enough for Mean Twilight to lift the warding here."

"Hehe. You can count on me, your highness." Grubber then snuck out to surprise the guards. "Heyo, bozos. I bet you can't catch me." Grubber punched one soldier, knocking him out so all the soldiers there would chase him. "You're going to have to try harder than that if you wanna catch me."

"Get back over here! You're under arrest!" They all left the door unguarded to chase Grubber as Chrysalis and Mean Twilight approached it.

"That... seriously worked? What a bunch of imbeciles. Well then, Chrysalis, it looks like your plan is successful."

"Of course, it was successful. Now then. It's mealtime for me." Chrysalis entered the room as she unsheathed her disguise and then approached the Heart, gleaming brightly and full of love energy. "Come to Mama, delicious love." Her fangs sank into the crystal as a stream of love flowed right into her body; she felt more power in this Heart than anything else she ever imagined possible.

"Remember to leave enough of it there so this city doesn't freeze over. We want to keep this place preserved, not to arouse suspicion."

"Yeah, sure. I will. Just a little bit more. There's so much of it here. It's the greatest feast that I've ever had in my life."


"Gah?! Grr. What is going on?" Cadence clutched her chest as she fell from her seat as Twilight and Shining rushed to her aid.

"Cady!" Shining said as he cradled his wife to his chest.

"Cadence. Are you okay?"

"I am. But the h-heart isn't. It's in trouble." Cadence looked at everyone as she stood up. "We've got to check up on the Heart. I felt something terrible just now. Flurry, dear. Keep the citizens safe while we check on the Heart."

"Yes, mom. I will. You can count on me." Flurry responded as she split from the group while everyone made a beeline to the corridors and down towards the Crystal Heart chamber. Twilight opened up the doors to see two ponies. One she knew very well, the other was very different though.

"Chrysalis?! Why? Why can't there ever be a time when we can enjoy ourselves without fighting evil?" Twilight exclaimed as she saw the changeling queen finish feasting on the Heart.

"Ahh~ What a rush. That was an incredible feast. Hello there, you guys. Did you miss me? And look at you, Cadenza. All big and regal now. So, how does it feel to be a queen?" Chrysalis was then taking in her current appearance as if judging her.

"I'm doing just fine as a queen. Better than you'd ever be, Chrysalis."

"Now, Cadence, you realize that being a queen is all about having the power and backbone of one, as we are all rulers? And last, we encountered each other; you certainly didn't have any backbone."

"A lot has changed since you were in captivity, Chrysalis."

"And I've missed you, Cadenza. As I recall, we have a score to settle."

Mean Twilight then looked over to Twilight and scowled. "And you. You look like me. But that's not possible. You look how I used to look before I ascended to the ruler of Equestria." Twilight said as she saw her doppelganger look toward her.

"What a keen observation you've got, Twilight. What is taking that moron so long? He should be back by now."

"Grubber will be back. I pity those guards once he realizes he can summon the Tainted again."

"Those Tainted. Are you in here?" Cadence said in shock before getting into a defensive stance. "Not on my watch!" Hero then runs up to defend Cadence and Twilight, summoning his blade in his left hoof.

"She's right, not on our watch!" Hero exclaimed as Chrysalis chuckled at Hero's display of courage.

"Oh, and as if on cue. The heroic boy comes in to save the day once more." Chrysalis cackled as she summoned two Tainted that looked to be brutes that had crystal armor around their bodies. Both brutes had the Tainted Sigil on their chests.

"Oh dear... those are the Tainted? They feel so foul and wicked. They cannot be allowed to be here, Twilight." Cadence said as she primed her magic. Mean Twilight then slowly approached Twilight as Twilight did in kind.

"I bet you're surprised to meet me for the first time, huh?" Mean Twilight then sized Twilight up but didn't even put up a fight. "However, I'm not here to fight you. To varying degrees, I admire you for your knowledge and power. It was how I was both created and revived."

"Your eyes. You're working with Lord Yami, aren't you?"

"So what if I am? Maybe you can put your big brain to work and figure that out for yourself."

"I figured as much. Your eyes and Cozy's eyes match those eyes of the Tainted." Twilight and Mean Twilight were focused on each other as Hero and Cadence fought the Tainted with everyone else in tow. The two brutes then dug into the ground and pulled up giant obelisks of crystal to use as clubs as they brandished them over their shoulders, roaring at the ponies before them.

"They look tough. Be careful, everyone," Shining said as he shot a beam of magic at one; the crystal plating bounced the spell off. "Hmm?! Not good. That armor on them is protecting them from magic."

"Oh? Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise? These creatures are formidable. Very useful as well." Chrysalis cackled as she saw them both advancing toward her enemies, "yesGogo forth and crush them into a paste, my loyal Tainted!" The two brutes then swung their crystal obelisks at both Cadence and Hero.

"Guh-aarughh!" Cadence got hit but lessened the damage, using her magic to absorb the shock of their blow as she flew back and landed on her hooves. Hero took the other club as he was sent flying up and landed on his side before getting back up.

"Ouch. Okay. That was a cheap shot. You alright, Cadence?"

"Y-Yeah, Hero. This isn't my first rodeo with Chrysalis."

"Right. I got you. So then, any ideas? These guys can block our magic from hitting them."

"I think I might have one," Applejack spoke up.

"Yeah? Please share." Hero said as the three jumped back to avoid squashing under their crystal obelisk, slamming onto the ground.

"I remember Pinkie telling me about rocks n' stuff. She mentioned that she and Maud were trying to fit a bunch of diamonds they mined from geodes in the caves north of their farm. They managed to strike them both together to break them. Maybe it might work on these creatures."

"Quickly. Duck down, now!" Cadence then pushed down Hero and Applejack as she bent down to avoid a swing from their clubs.

"Yeah.. thanks for the save." Hero then looked to Applejack, "let's do it!" Applejack then drew out her lasso to wrap it around one of their crystal obelisks but struggled to disarm it.

"A-A little help here would be just dandy, Hero." Applejack griped while biting onto the rope.

"Yeah. No problem. He wants to play tug of war, huh? We'll play that, too." Hero then used his blade to slice at the giant's hand, holding onto the club to lessen his grip. "He's got a killer grip. I'll give him that much. Come on, let it go, you lumbering brute!"

He roared as if to scream, "NO!" He pulled the obelisk to carry Applejack up while she bit the rope.

"Guh... p-ponyfeathers. He's a stubborn one. C-Cut it out... Hurk-" Applejack was about to let go of her rope as the brute whipped her body to send her flying back into the Crystal Palace walls, making a few cracks in it as she fell to the ground, unconscious.

"Applejack?! Applejack! Are you okay?" She opened her eyes and was too dazed to fight. "Just rest up for now; I'll handle this." Hero then slowly walked up to the brute that threw Applejack to the wall as he glared at him, "So then, got that out of your system? Cause now you made me mad." The brute then slammed the obelisk onto Hero, pressing him to the floor.

"No! Hero! E-Equestria would be doomed without harmony. I-I can't believe he let that giant do that to him." Twilight saw the club lightly vibrating and the giant having trouble holding it down, its grunts of exerted force telling this much.

"Aww.. that's too bad. I guess he's not so tough after all. That's what happens to those that cross-" Chrysalis saw the vibrating obelisk with a puzzled look, "me? What is that he's doing?" Suddenly, the obelisk was lifted effortlessly as Hero had red-colored static coursing through his body. His outfit changed to a bright crimson as a ruby-red gem was fitted into one of the holes in his shoulder plate.

"So then, let's try this again, shall we, Tainted?" Hero said as the Tainted giant looked shocked. He was slowly being lifted higher and higher from the ground.

PreviousChapters Next