• Published 20th Sep 2020
  • 896 Views, 46 Comments

Season 10: Dawn of a new generation of Harmony - xombiekilla



After the end of Season 9, the future was revealed and the show came to a close. But is this really how everything ends?

  • ...
 46
 896

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter six: Meeting the ancient pillars of harmony, clarity and fruition.

The next destination was wholly foreign to Hero; It looked like a study room adorned with magical artifacts from what appeared to be all around Equestria. Then, that same wizard from before went to his desk to address him further. "So then, Hero. You're aware as to why you're here, I'm sure."

"I'm afraid not- Starswirl, was it?" Hero asked him, "How do you know who I am?"

"Yes, you're correct. Continue." Starswirl then continued, "Oh, and I know who you are because Starlight was at our meeting, and she told us about someone new she met, so I simply just connected the dots."

"Why have I been brought here? What is this place anyway?"

"This would be my home, Hero. My tower, to be more or less precise. This place is the home for the legendary pillars of harmony, much like me."

"Woah. The ancient heroes of harmony? Do they live here? I've heard about them mentioned once by a guy named Sunburst."

"Yes. I know who that is." Starswirl cleared his throat as he began. "But let's not lose focus on why I was searching for you. The real reason you're here might shock you; I know you're the element of courage."

"W-Who told you that?"

"The dying Tree of Harmony did." Starswirl delivered a curt and deadpanned look as he answered Hero's question.

"Oh. Right. Dumb question. So what are those shadowy things that keep chasing me?"

Starswirl sighed somberly as he explained, "They're the literal scourge of even darkness itself. They're a devious and insatiable race of demons called The Tainted." Starswirl then presented to Hero a magical hologram of one of them.

"That's the one from my dream that I had."

"These are the most common form of Tainted that you'll encounter. These creatures are called Tainted Pawns. Appropriate, considering they're the very definition of basic, but they can be very alarming in larger numbers. Unfortunately, these Tainted are rarely solitary like most other Tainted creatures." The hologram faded and reformed to reveal that hooded figure from Harmony Hallow.

"And there's that creep that killed the tree."

"I am uncertain as to the identity of this man. But I've got a strange feeling that I've met him somewhere. Strange is all you need to know about him. I am certain that more knowledge of him will be revealed to us as we progress. As of right now, however, he remains an enigma." That hologram had faded to reveal another: Three smaller creatures on a stone pedestal. These guys looked evil—no questioning that.

"Who're these guys?"

"Queen Chrysalis, Lord Tirek, and Cozy Glow. Three very nefarious criminals that had attempted to usurp Equestria before these shadows had arrived aggressively."

"You think that they're connected in some way?"

"No doubt. Unfortunately, I've got a feeling that we'll eventually see them again." That hologram faded away as Starswirl walked over to his bookshelf and grabbed a spellbook, blowing off some of its dust as he presented it to Hero. "You'll need to read up on magic as it's the basis of life itself. Make no mistake, Hero. This quest will be anything but easy for you."

"I guess that's something I'll be getting used to very quickly, huh?"

"I've also contacted the late chief of your village before it was destroyed. I am aware of how you ended up in Ponyville. I can tell you've been through a great deal of trauma. He briefly informed me of the dream you had before his demise. This, what Starlight had told me, and combined with my connection to the same tree I've once created, is exactly how I know all about you. He was a good pony, a wonderful leader, and a harmonious soul. May he rest in peace." Starswirl said in a somber tone, bowing his head in sadness.

"Yeah. I miss him, too. He was the best chief we ever had in our village. Well, this is the first time I've ever met you."

"And it'll not be your only time, either. That dream that you were given wasn't by chance, you know. It was a failsafe to ensure the safety of Equestria. You must feel like the most unfortunate pony; I understand that, but you've been chosen. It would be too late for you to back out now." Starswirl's compassion was palpable, fatherly even. That did ease Hero's sorrow slightly.

"Lucky me. Well, what's my first assignment then?" Starswirl opened his spellbook and turned to the page introducing elemental combat spells.

"Training. The forces of darkness are advantageous; they'll take whatever convenient opportunity. It would be best if you did the same here. You'll begin your training in magic with both myself and Mistmane. I'll cover the basics of spell combat. She'll provide teaching in healing and restoration spells."

"Right then, I can handle that. I have one more question for you, sir."

"I'm listening." Starswirl had quizzically raised his right eyebrow at Hero's soon-to-be question.

"How would you explain having a black crystal pushed into your chest? That's what that guy who attacked my home had forced into me, and then he said that I would make a sufficient vessel for his cause. Whatever that means." Hero then showed Starswirl his chest with the blackened scar, slightly pulsing.

"Hmm... You were cursed, I'm afraid. Black crystals are filled with dark magic. He has a higher purpose for his actions and plans for you. If my previous research into magic crystals serves me well- and it does, he's using this to track your whereabouts. You're like an active beacon for those vile Tainted. They will stop at nothing to hunt and to bring you down. Be on your guard, Hero."

"Yes, sir. I won't fail Equestria." Hero saluted as he was guided to Mistmane's quarters.

"Go to the third floor, and you'll see an ornate set of wooden double doors with her name engraved on the top, impossible to miss."


Hero nodded as he made his way out of Starswirl's Study Room. Hero then went down the winding stairs and towards the third floor. As he saw her doors, giving them a knock, he heard a tender elderly voice from the other side. "Come in." As Hero walked in, he saw an elderly but very sweet mare. This lady looked like she was the very definition of compassion.

"Are you Mistmane?"

"Yes, I am, child. Come in and have a cup of tea with me. We'll go over your lessons on healing and restoration spells."

"Let me guess, Starswirl informed you, didn't he?"

"Yes, he did." They both sat down on soft cushions that felt imported from royalty. Mistmane then lifted a cup and poured hot water into it, and from there, she put a teabag into the cup as the water began to change to dark brown. "This tea has herbal properties in it. It'll help to repair your body from the inside out."

"Thanks. So You must already know what I am then, don't you?" Hero accepted the cup and carried it over to him using his magic as he treated his tea and took his first sip.

"I do." Mistmane poured some sugar and then stirred her beverage as she continued, "You're the element of courage."

"Sunburst mentioned that you guys were also elements. Which one are you?"

"Beauty." She gingerly sipped her tea and hummed at its robust taste and mild sweetness.

"Really? Well.."

"Don't let my appearance throw you, young one. I wasn't always this elderly-looking. I traded my youth to help out somepony very important to me. This sacrifice aged me rapidly as a result. It's your heart that should be beautiful, not your looks." This was a sensitive topic for her, and realizing he was out of line, Hero decided to console her.

"Hey, I didn't mean to offend or make you angry. I found it difficult to believe what element you were for a moment."

"Well, it's no bother for me. This training was specifically meant for you. You've got a great role to play in Equestria, more than you could realize."

"If my village chief couldn't answer my question, maybe you could."

"Ask away, young one."

"Why did the Tree of Harmony choose me? Why me, of all ponies? What's so special about me that I'm suddenly our last hope?"

"That's a straightforward question for me to answer. Your heart is what defines you as a whole. It's what reveals who you are as an individual. The tree chooses you because it was looking for a new host- a successor for when it knew its time was short. Since your heart had displayed the bravery that would make Flash Magnus himself blush, then the choice became obvious."

"So, what about this then?" Hero flicked his left forehoof as a blade appeared in his magic grip. "I got this from my dream, but it only comes out when I'm in danger. But it also summoned here for some reason."

"Ah yes, the blade of harmony. A good choice indeed." Mistmane finished her cup of tea as Hero then soon finished his.

"So that's what it's called?" Hero inspected his weapon as he admired it.

"That's right. That's no ordinary sword you've got in your grasp. It's made of pure harmony magic and bonded to your heart. So if your heart goes, so too does that blade, and not just anypony can wield it."

"So, this weapon chooses its wielder, huh?" Hero then examined it up close, gilded in gold, silver, and steel parts. There was a bright light that naturally flowed from it. It made Hero feel warm, protected, and safe.

"That's correct. Not only can you use that blade, but being a unicorn, you can also use your magic. Fighting is nice, but when times get tough for you- and they will, you'll need to fall back and heal yourself and your friends."

"But, where do I find friends?" This made her chuckle.

"All over Equestria, silly. You know, you're a lot like Flash Magnus. He'd have a fit if he ever heard me say that."

"Is he that sensitive?"

"Not at all. But he's the guy who likes to live on the edge—being risky. He's not shallow in the slightest. You know, there's a reason why he's the element of bravery."

"Do you think that my title was named from his?"

"That's not an easy question for me to answer. It takes courage to do everything that we can normally do as individuals. Perhaps you're a combination of every element, and perhaps you're a unique one. One day, you'll discover that truth for yourself."

"I see. Well then, I'm ready for my first lesson."

"Very good then." Mistmane then rose from her cushion and lit her horn to show Hero a spell. "This is your basic healing spell. It's able to patch up standard wounds. You'll, of course, need a stronger spell for mortal ones."

"It's like a bright green light. Are spells different based on color or something?"

"Yes and no. Most healing magic is green because we often perceive green as good." She then passed the orb to Hero as he held it in his hooves, and he felt its energizing effects.

"Wow. It feels like my body is filling up with pure energy, and it feels great."

"To fully understand how this spell works, we must demonstrate how it's applied in a real fight."

"I-I'm not fighting you, am I?"

"Oh, of course not. That's what I'm having Rockhoof do."

"Who's that?"

"Oh, you'll find out soon." She giggled at what Hero's reaction would be seeing him for the first time. Mistmane lit her horn, and a beam rose to touch the ceiling of her room. Not long after, her door opened, and a vast, stalky stallion entered. This guy looked like a titan all on his own.

"H-Holy sweet mother of- that guy is like a giant. I have to fight him?"

"Don't worry about it. I'll be sure to go easy on you. Our job is to train you for combat, not tenderize you into a paste."

"Somehow, that does not help me feel any better." Rockhoof then began a charge to knock Hero away to the wall. His back collided against it, and he then hit the ground. "Gah! Ouch. Okay... fine. You want a piece of me, big guy?" Hero then got back up to charge him.

"There's a good fighting spirit. Not being too quick to surrender. I like that." As Hero got close, Rockhoof managed to swat him away with his left forehoof, knocking him back; he then began to feel pain racking at his body as he struggled to stand up. "Alright then, that should be good enough. Mistmane, if you'll please."

"Gladly." She used her healing spell on Hero as he felt his body being partially rejuvenated back to good condition and could stand up fully.

"What am I, some punching bag to you, you big oaf?"

PreviousChapters Next