• Published 1st Jun 2020
  • 3,482 Views, 88 Comments

Painful Reprieve - Shinigamimirror



A man haunted by grief is offered a second chance at life, but for a price. The process is painful and won't go without hiccoughs. Follow the story of a broken man as he discovers that equestria may be just what he needs.

  • ...
6
 88
 3,482

When In Doubt...

“Ugh…” Twilight groaned. Twilight’s head was spinning, and her horn was aching. She looked up to see two ponies. Double images of Triage and Fluttershy danced over her in a circle. Triage with a disapproving look, and Fluttershy looking anxious hiding behind her.

“Twilight, that was incredibly dangerous!” Triage scolded. “Are you alright dear?”

“I think so.” Twilight mumbled. “Whatever ward is in place; it has selective permeability. I’ve never seen anything like it.” The double images slowly became one. Twilight shrank at Triage’s scowl.

“Please use restraint Twilight. We don’t need any more casualties.” She admonished. “Twilight, I need some time to dress the patient’s burns. Why don’t you go upstairs for a moment?” Triage shook her head and turned back around to tend to Charlie.

“Oh dear, let me help you up.” Fluttershy walked forward to help Twilight and assisted her to her hooves. “Triage is right Twilight. You need to be more careful.”

“Fluttershy?” Triage called melodiously. “You can stay here. I’m going to need your help.”

“Go ahead Fluttershy. I’ll be fine, it’s just…” Twilight was at a loss for words. “I don’t know what’s going on, and it bothers me.” Twilight looked down at her hooves and rubbed her aching horn. “I panicked. I’ll be more careful.” Twilight looked down at the floor. Her actions were rash and she succumbed to panic. The shame she was feeling wasn’t pleasant, and the mix of so many unknowns was an unhealthy combination for the librarian turned princess. Twilight turned around and left her lab with her head held low and her tail drooping.

Triage spent the next few minutes dressing Charlie’s growing horn. She removed the bandages around his burns to check that they were healing okay and redressed them. Fluttershy remained by Triage’s side helping her when she could. Twilight had gone upstairs to read about anything that she could about transfiguration, DNA transmutation, selective wards, and inter-dimensional teleportation. She even found a book about humans.

“Spike, this is another one of those science fiction nonsense books. “Twilight looked up from her book and sighed in frustration. “I need something backed by real science!” She moaned.

“Twilight, this is the first Human in Equestria. You’re not going to find anything like that.” Spike retorted with his arms crossed. “Have you found anything on what kind of spell could have brought him here?”

“Spike, it’s an advanced teleportation spell… possibly inter-dimensional. All we have on inter-dimensional travel is theories. Not even Starswirl was able to come up with a reliable inter-dimensional teleportation spell. Nopony in Equestria has successfully done that!” Twilight was nearly yelling.

“Alright, sheesh.” Spike brought his hands up defensively. “You don’t have to be such a cranky pants.” Spike grumbled. “What about this book about humans?” Spike pointed to the book at the top of the stack. It was a large moss green tome.

Humans: Myth or Legend” Twilight read out loud. Twilight’s left eye twitched. “Spike this is one of those books on mythological creatures. There’s no science here.” Twilight glowered at Spike. “We don’t have time to waste on theories and heresy.” Twilight huffed.

“It sounds like theories are all we have.” Spike shrugged and turned to head back to the kitchen. “Let me know if you need anything.” He called back.

Twilight rolled her eyes and opened the book. She thought that she might as well since she didn’t have anything else to go off of. As she began reading the opening description, Twilight was starting to notice that the physical descriptions were surprisingly accurate. Twilight had to stop for a moment as she did a mental double take. There was an anatomically correct diagram of a male human. Twilight tapped her hoof to her chin. “This is unexpected.” She mumbled to herself. She read further into the book and became enamored with the writing. It was elaborate and surprisingly well written. There was a section about how Humans are omnivorous and skilled hunters, and that they have advanced technologies. It talked about Humans and their culture. How there used to be ancient humans in Equestria until some cataclysmic event banished them to another realm. Whether or not any of that actually happened, Twilight was curious. How did the author know about all this? Something didn’t add up.

Twilight’s curiosity quickly became impatience as she remembered that there was a human in her basement growing a horn. She needed answers and time wasn’t on their side. As much as she detested going off of hunches, it was the best she had.

I must be getting desperate. I don’t have time for this!

Twilight closed the book in a rush and looked at the author’s name. Her jaw dropped as she realized the author was a professor who lived in town. There were quite a few rumors going around town about this particular author. Deciding against her better judgement, she decided that a lead was a lead. She didn’t waste any time getting her saddle bags ready. Without more than a second thought, she had put them on and put the book inside.

I can’t believe I’m doing this, but I don’t have a choice!

“Spike, I found a lead!" She called out without expecting a response. She had already closed the door before Spike poked his head out the kitchen and shrugged.


Lyra and Bon-Bon were sitting at their kitchen table eating lunch. Bon-Bon had prepared a fresh salad for the both of them, but Lyra didn’t really feel that hungry. She was just moving her greens around her plate, staring off into the distance.

“Lyra, are you alright? You seem disconnected today.” Bon-Bon asked as she watched her mare-friend play with her salad. Bon-Bon had noticed that Lyra was acting strange lately- stranger than usual. She had been spending an inordinate amount of time in her study. When Lyra did come out, she looked exhausted and disappointed.

On the other hoof, Bon-Bon was in a chipper mood. She was looking at Lyra with a grin and a twinkle in her eye. She had gotten Lyra out of her study and she had a proposition for the two of them.

“I’m fine.” Lyra said curtly, as she let out a sigh and looked down at her lunch. “Just some research I’ve been doing hasn’t gone as planned.” Lyra stabbed a leaf and shoved it in her mouth aggressively.

“I’m starting to worry about you Lyra.” Bon-Bon started. “You spend all your time in your study, and it's making you miserable.” Bon-Bon cleared her throat and began her proposal. “I want to do something with you today. I miss you. Do you think you could take some time out of your busy schedule to spend some time with me?” Bon-Bon waited for Lyra to respond with bated breath.

“Huh...” Lyra was caught off guard. She looked up to see Bon-Bon was using her begging face. Lyra couldn't help but crack a small smile. “You know I can’t say no to that face.”

“Yay!” Bon-Bon clapped her hooves together in excitement and her face lit up like a tree on hearth’s warming eve. “I was thinking maybe we could go to Canterlot. I need to get you out-” Bon-Bon was cut off by rapid knocks at the front door. She gave Lyra a confused look. “Were you expecting anypony?” Lyra just shook her head.

Bon-Bon got up from the table and grumbled under her breath about something ruining the mood and made her way to the front door. She was about to open it when she heard another series of hurried knocks. “Alright, I’m coming!” She grunted out as she opened the door. Her face fell when she saw who it was. It was Twilight, but she had a look of urgency on her face.

“P-princess Twilight? What can I do for you? Is everything alright?” Bon-Bon asked with a raised eyebrow. You don’t look so good.

“There’s no time to explain-” Twilight began. “Is Lyra home?” Twilight asked pleadingly.

“Yeah, she’s in the kitch-” Before Bon-Bon could finish, Twilight pushed past Bon-Bon, leaving her stunned in the doorway. Bon-Bon scratched the back of her head in confusion. Was this one of those friendship problems, or was the town in danger again?

“Lyra! I need your help with something. It’s urgent!” Twilight called as she ran into the kitchen.

“What?” Lyra just looked at Twilight with a blank expression and blinked, then shook her head. Twilight was standing there hyperventilating.

“What do you need me for?” Lyra asked hesitantly.

“No time to explain. I need your help at the library!” She insisted.

“Alright! I’ll come.” Lyra said with a hint of annoyance.

Before Lyra could say anything else, a flash and a pop filled the room. Bon-Bon had entered the kitchen moments later to see both Twilight and Lyra had disappeared. Her face contorted with frustration as she yelled.

“Arhhggg, Twilight, we had plans!”


Spike heard a loud pop and a flash coming from the library proper. He hurried out of the kitchen to find a sheepish looking Twilight beside a wobbling Lyra. Lyra was doing her best to hold back the small amount of lunch she did end up eating.

“Urk...Twilight, please let me know when you’re going to do that.” Lyra said as she steadied herself.

“I’m sorry Lyra, but we need to talk.” Twilight took a more serious tone. “I read your book about humans.” Twilight levitated the book out of her saddle bag and hovered it in front of Lyra.

“Is that why you brought me here?” Lyra sat on her haunches and crossed her hooves. “To poke fun at the mare in town with crazy theories?” Lyra furrowed her brow, stuck her nose in the air and her tone was indignant.

“No, it’s nothing like that. I need your help with something.” Twilight shook her head and frowned. “Perhaps it will be easier if I just show you.” Twilight opened the door to her basement and nodded Lyra for her to follow. “If you could follow me to my lab?”

“Hmph, fine.” Lyra snorted. She began to follow Twilight to the basement and continued. “This better not be another prank. I’m getting awfully tired of everyone in town thinking I’m crazy...” They had reached the bottom of the stairwell and Twilight opened the door to her lab, allowing Lyra to enter first. “I publish one book about humans, ev-” She stopped dead in her tracks when she noticed Charlie in the hospital bed.

Silence filled the room as Triage and Fluttershy looked up from Charlie at Lyra. Fluttershy took a step back and hid behind her hair. Triage gave a small smile at Lyra and then looked at Twilight.

“Twilight, we have another visitor?” Triage trilled.

“This is Lyra. She is the only lead we have on humans.” Twilight stepped forward past the shocked mint green unicorn. “Isn’t that right Lyra?” Twilight looked back to address Lyra.

“Is...is...that…” Lyra stuttered

“Yes Lyra, that’s a human.” She deadpanned.

Twilight looked at Lyra. She had seen that expression before. It was the face Pinkie Pie would make before going off on one of her over-excited rants. You could just tell that there was a balloon about to burst in her head. Twilight cringed and backed away. She braced herself for the impending onslaught of crazy as Lyra’s eyes darted from Charlie to Twilight.

All at once Lyra’s face exploded into a smile and her eyes twinkled. She pounced forward and took Twilight’s face into her own with her hooves, squishing her face in the process. “Omigosh Twilight! You have a real live human!?” Lyra squealed in joy. Lyra let go of Twilight and bounced excitedly on her hooves. “I have so many questions! Where did you find him? What was he doing? How long has he been here? Is this why you brought me here?” Lyra took a deep breath. “Does this mean I won’t be the town crackpot?” Lyra stopped as a sudden realization struck her. “Is that a horn?” Lyra blinked a few times and finally took a look around the room, noticing the medical equipment and the doctor with her eyes finally stopping on Twilight's sheepish smile.

Twilight spent the next few minutes telling Lyra what happened. Lyra sat quietly listening intently on every little word Twilight had to say with growing excitement. "... And then he started growing a horn. We had to sedate him because he was in so much pain. I tried to cast a reversal spell on him, and it backfired. There is a strong ward on him preventing us from interfering. Then I found your book and came to get you." Twilight finished with a smile. "Do you think you can help?"

“Of course, I’ll help, Twilight!” Lyra said without even considering it. She rocketed forward and embraced Twilight in a spine popping hug. “You have no idea how much this means to me!”


Bon-Bon sat in her empty kitchen stewing in a brood. Lyra had been spending most of her time in her study the past couple months and it was starting to strain their relationship. Ever since Lyra started work on that book about humans she had become secluded. When she finally got it published, there were rumors going around that Lyra was obsessed. Bon-Bon had known going into the relationship that Lyra got a little overzealous in her studies, but it was that very passion that Bon-Bon loved. Lyra was a professor of mythological creatures, not just humans.

Lyra was taking the criticism rather hard and in turn she began holding herself away in her research. Bon-Bon barely even got to see the mare anymore. That’s not what bothered her though. She could tell her mare-friend was hiding something. Every time Lyra came out of her study, she looked guilty. Bon-Bon also noticed another pair of locks added to the already locked study, which confused her. Bon-Bon had always been respectful of her privacy and never went in the study unless she was invited. The recent isolation however was giving Bon-Bon something to think about.

Whenever the cream-colored mare asked Lyra what was wrong, she would just brush it off, say something vague, or change the subject. It was frustrating, but whatever Lyra was going through, she was sure that she would come to her in time. There was just something about seeing Lyra so defeated that made Bon-Bon worried.

Bon-Bon huffed and kicked at the ground.

I can’t believe she had the nerve to come in here uninvited! I finally get Lyra to come out, and she’s whisked away.

Bon-Bon Stomped her hoof and growled, before leaving out the door and heading towards Golden Oaks. There was no way she was going to let Twilight get in-between them.

Not today!


Lyra was by the hospital bed’s side, and she stared down at the sleeping human, her eyes sparkling with wonder. Fluttershy had retreated to the chair by the door. Twilight was with Triage looking at the blood samples taken earlier. They had redrawn his blood for another DNA sample. Triage wanted to know if the thaumic energy from the growing horn was having an effect on the rest of his body.

Lyra looked both ways making sure that no one else was watching. With sparkling eyes, and a mischievous grin, she brought a tentative hoof slowly to the sleeping human’s horn. Before she could touch it, a small “zap” filled the air and she yelped back in surprise.

Triage looked over and scowled. “Lyra, please leave his horn alone. It’s newly formed and is incredibly unstable.”

“Alright, I’m sorry. It’s just...fascinating.” She stepped back with a sheepish grin on her face. “It’s just so weird to see a horn on a human.”

Just then a knocking could be heard from upstairs followed by Spike calling out “I’ll get it.”

Spike could be heard talking to somepony, followed by the sound of hoof-steps down the laboratory stairs. There was a knock on their lab door with the muffled sound of Spike’s voice from behind it.

“Twilight, Bon-Bon is here to see you. She wants to know why you foal-napped Lyra.” Spike sounded like he was getting tired of all of Twilight’s antics today.

Twilight sighed. “You can send her in.”

The atmosphere in the laboratory grew tense as all the occupants shared glances of nervousness. Fluttershy had taken to hiding underneath her chair shivering. The door swung open slowly revealing an irritated Bon-Bon.

Everyone in the room froze, with all the eyes on the new guest. The only sound that could be heard was the huffing of Bon-Bon’s breath and the beeping of the medical equipment. Twilight looked at Bon-Bon with shame and guilt, while Lyra just remembered that they had made plans prior to this. Triage was looking at Bon-Bon with a raised eyebrow.
Bon-Bon scanned the room slowly until her gaze fell on Twilight. “You better have a good reason for barging into our home and stealing my Lyra away.” She huffed “I finally got her to agree to go out and do something with me today.” She growls as she slowly walks towards Twilight.

Twilight shrinks back as her ears fall flat against her head. Bon-Bon was right, and Twilight was ashamed how irrational she was acting. She had barged into Bon-Bon and Lyra’s home without asking and teleported Lyra away without having a proper discussion. If the situation wasn’t so dire, Twilight would have never done something so rude. Her face fell at the thought.

“I’m sorry Bon-Bon.” Twilight uttered in a shaky voice. “I should have asked.” Twilight looked at Lyra for help.

“Twilight! Do you have any idea how hard it is to get Lyra out of her study!?” Bon-Bon was raising her voice and walking towards Twilight.

“I just needed her help; I’m working on something time sensitive and I didn’t know what else to do. I’m sorry!” Twilight was practically begging.

“I just wanted one simple date. That’s all I wanted!” Bon-Bon was almost yelling at this point. “You think that just because you’re a princess now you can just do whatever you want?” Bon-Bon was poking Twilight’s chest with her hoof.

“Excuse me?” Twilight batted Bon-Bon’s hoof away. “Is that what this is about?” Twilight raised her voice. “My ascension isn’t going to my head! I’m trying to prevent catastrophe from befalling Equestria!” Twilight was nearly red with indignance.

“Girls Please!” Triage yelled in an irritated voice. “This is hardly the place for having an argument. I’m trying to care for an injured patient!” Triage reprimanded, causing an awkward silence between the two as they glared at each other.

Lyra shook herself out of shock and ran in front of Twilight facing Bon-Bon. “It’s okay Bon-Bon. Twilight found a human!” Lyra bubbled excitedly as she pointed her hoof in Charlie’s direction.

Bon-Bon growled. “Lyra now is not the time-” She cut herself off as she followed Lyra’s hoof, and she finally noticed the human on the hospital bed. Bon-Bon’s mouth remained open in surprise.

“What is that!?” Bon-Bon gasped incredulously.

Twilight took the opportunity to try and explain herself. She nudged Lyra to the side as she explained. “That’s a human. That’s why I brought Lyra here.”

Bon-Bon narrowed her eyes in suspicion, looked at Lyra, and then back to the human. “That’s a human?”

“Yes!” Lyra exclaimed “Isn’t this exciting!”

Bon-Bon blinked as her brain soaked in the information. After all the time she had known Lyra, she had been very lenient in her crazy fascination with mythological creatures. In fact, it was that very passion that Bon-Bon loved about her mare-friend. Lyra was always so studious in her research. Bon-Bon admired Lyra’s dedication to knowledge, but she always knew that what she studied was mythological in nature; meaning not real. Not once did Bon-Bon ever consider that Lyra’s obsession would cross into the real world. This was like a car crash of two realities meeting. The fact that one of Lyra’s mythological creatures that she studied was lying in a hospital bed not but fifteen feet from her was certainly something. Bon-Bon was speechless.

“Bon-Bon, don’t you know what this means?” Lyra put her face into Bon-Bon’s. “Humans are real!”


The next few minutes were spent explaining to Bon-Bon what had happened and why there was a human in Twilight’s laboratory. Fluttershy had finally come out of hiding and was sitting at her usual spot as the others talked about Charlie.

“So, let me get this straight.” Bon-Bon rubbed her temples. “We don’t know where this human came from and why he’s growing a horn, and that’s why you foal-napped Lyra?”

Twilight frowned. “I didn’t foal-nap her, there was consent.” Twilight sighed. “But that’s not the point. Lyra is the only pony who has research on humans, and her research is surprisingly accurate.”

Twilight took a step towards Charlie and looked at his horn. “Lyra, what do you think?” She asked.

Lyra walked up beside Twilight and looked at Charlie pensively. “Charlie just seems like a bundle of chaos. I’ve studied humans, and there is nothing that would indicate they have reached a technology that would induce inter-dimensional travel.” Lyra looked thoughtful.

“Lyra, I find it difficult to understand how much you know about humans. How do you know all-” Twilight’s eyes widened as a light-bulb went off in her head. Twilight turned around to Fluttershy, not paying attention to Lyra who was rubbing the back of her neck and looking away to hide a guilty frown.

“Fluttershy.” Twilight began in a serious tone. “We need to talk to Discord.”