• Published 1st Jun 2020
  • 3,483 Views, 88 Comments

Painful Reprieve - Shinigamimirror



A man haunted by grief is offered a second chance at life, but for a price. The process is painful and won't go without hiccoughs. Follow the story of a broken man as he discovers that equestria may be just what he needs.

  • ...
6
 88
 3,483

...Blame Discord

...Blame Discord

“Oh dear” Fluttershy began in surprise. “You really think Discord would have something to do with this?” Fluttershy looked at Twilight in shock, her ears flattening.

“This has Discord written all over it.” Twilight answered with a furrowed brow. She stomped a forehoof in emphasis.

“But Twilight, we can’t just blame discord for everything that we don’t understand.” Fluttershy shook her head. “He’s reformed, remember?” Fluttershy said with a whimper, returning her friend a pleading look.

Twilight took a breath to calm herself down, bringing her forehoof to her chest and using the technique cadence had taught her. “I just want to ask if he knows anything about what’s going on here.” Twilight tapped a hoof to her chin. “Why don’t you invite him over to your cottage and we can have a civil conversation over tea. It shouldn’t take too long.” Twilight proposed, hoping Fluttershy would agree.

Fluttershy looked pensive for a moment, and then nodded. “I think that should be fine. He might be able to help.” Fluttershy frowned. “I know you still don’t trust him, but he’s learning about friendship just like you did...he’s just starting from further away.”

Twilight shook her head. “If he’s not the one that made this mess in the first place...” Twilight muttered under her breath. The purple alicorn turned to Triage. “Triage, are you okay if Fluttershy and I step out for a few moments? We have some things to discuss with the local lord of chaos.”

Triage nodded and then shot a glare at Lyra. “As long as Miss heartstrings can keep her hooves to herself, we will be fine.” Lyra gave Twilight a sheepish smile and pawed the ground with her hoof.

Twilight looked to the mint green mare. “Your knowledge of humans can help Triage, so stay here in case Triage has any questions.” Twilight faced Bon-Bon. “And Bon-Bon, I’m sorry. Could you stay here with Lyra and make sure she stays out of trouble?” Twilight smiled and her eyes softened. “I’m sorry you got dragged into this, but we need you two to help if you can.”

Bon-Bon looked at Twilight apologetically. “I get it Twilight. This is bigger than us.” Then Bon-Bon saluted with a smile. “I’m just happy to see Lyra in a good mood.”

*


*


The butter yellow pegasus and the lavender alicorn had appeared with a pop in front of Fluttershy’s cottage. Fluttershy opened her door slowly with a tentative hoof. She was biting her lip in nervousness. She was disappointed Twilight had already accused Discord. Fluttershy was sure her friend Discord was innocent of something like this, but there was a small part of her that wasn’t so sure. Whatever the case, they were going to talk about this like adults.

“Twilight, I know you think Discord did this, but if we start pointing hooves at him every time something goes wrong he might become resentful.” Fluttershy turned around to look Twilight in the eyes. “I want you to promise you won’t be mean.”

Twilight looked back at her friend and sighed. “I promise.”

The pair walked into the cottage and Fluttershy went straight to the kitchen to start a cup of tea and set the table. Twilight helped wordlessly. The silence between them was of mutual solidarity, not of awkwardness or tension. Twilight was thinking about what Fluttershy had said. She had spent the better part of her day today panicking. To say that she was disappointed would be an understatement. There was something about this situation that just didn’t add up, but it was her reactions to the unknown that was weighing on her soul. She was frustrated with herself more than anything else. She had lost control not once, but twice. She was supposed to be the element of magic, and she was letting the stress cloud her judgement. She was determined to hold herself together for her friend. Twilight did not enjoy being around Discord, but she would play nice for Fluttershy, if only to get to the bottom of this. She was adamant that he had something to do with this.

After completing the spread, Fluttershy clapped her hooves and said. “Okay Twilight are you ready?” The yellow one smiled nervously.

Twilight nodded, and then cocked her eyebrow. “How do we get Discord to come?”

Fluttershy walked to her counter and grabbed a cucumber with her wing. “Any fresh produce will do.” She said as she positioned the long green fruit so one end was by her ear and the other was by her mouth. Fluttershy cleared her throat and spoke into the cucumber. “Discord, would you like to come over for some tea?”

Twilight just looked on in confusion as she could clearly hear a faint voice come from the other end. Not more than a second later a long mismatch of body parts snaked out of Fluttershy’s kitchen sink drain. It had a serpentine body. One hand was a lion paw while the other an eagle claw. One leg was a hoof and the other was a dragon limb. His beady red eyes focused on Fluttershy with a grin. “Oh Fluttershy, it has been too long!” The serpent exclaimed. He was holding an asparagus in his talons. Discord tossed the asparagus into the air and it exploded into confetti. “What’s the occasion Fluttershy? Did you miss me?” One of his beady eyes landed on Twilight and he winked. “You didn’t tell me royalty would be here!” Discord chided, and then snapped his talons. Discord was now dressed in a top hat, monocle, and a black tuxedo. “But I dare say that makes me overdressed.” Discord snapped his talons again and both Twilight and Flutterhsy were wearing the same gowns they had worn to the gala.

Twilight deadpanned and took a seat at the table. She used her magic to pour herself a cup of tea. Fluttershy just uttered a feint “Hello Discord. We...umm… need to talk to you over some tea.” Fluttershy clacked her hooves together nervously. “If that’s okay with you?”

Discord fluttered his eyes and smiled at the yellow mare. “Of course, I would do anything for a dear friend.” Discord disappeared and reappeared at the table. In his talon was a giant blue “T”. He slowly took a sip out of the letter.

Fluttershy was startled momentarily by the relocation, but collected herself and took a seat at the table. She began to pour herself a cup of tea. She looked over to her librarian friend for reassurance before she began. “Um, Discord, we were wondering if you could help us understand something.”

Discord continued to sip his “T”. “Of course Fluttershy, but if you want to understand something, don’t you have the embodiment of magic herself as one of your closest confidants?” Discord smiled and gestured towards the lavender mare.

Twilight took a deep breath to compose herself and held back a glare. She brought the tea to her lips and took a sip before answering. She had promised her friend she wouldn't be mean. “Discord…” She started, meeting his eyes with a stoic expression. “...Something has come up…” Twilight was speaking slowly as if every word was painful. “...that I don’t completely understand.” Twilight took another deep breath and exhaled slowly as if she had just confessed to a heinous crime.

The god of chaos brought his paw to his chest in mock surprise. “Are you saying that Celestia’s prodigy student and Princess of Friendship needs help with something, from me? I’m shocked.” His expression betrayed himself as he was grinning. Everything pointed to the fact that he was very much enjoying this. Discord took another sip from his consonant.

This flustered twilight greatly. She felt as if discord was rubbing salt in her wound. “Something tells me you might already know what’s going on.” She said in a low growl.

A quiet “Oh dear.” escaped the butter pegasus as Discord just chuckled.

“Twilight, do you really think that something filled with so much chaos would escape my notice? Ever since the human appeared, I’ve been watching. The absolute turmoil and confusion has been nothing but delicious to watch.” Discord licked his lips and snapped his talons. A tub of popcorn appeared. He dipped his paw into the bucket and popped some in his mouth, chewing loudly with his mouth open. “It’s been quite the show!” He uttered, popcorn flying out with a few kernels spraying in Twilight’s mane.

“I knew it!” Twilight blurted out, pointing her right forehoof at Discord accusingly. Some of the popcorn crumbs fell to the table. “You do have something to do with this!” She huffed.

A light ‘eeep’ was uttered from a certain yellow mare at the outburst.

“Twilight dear, whatever do you mean?” Discord responded innocently, while flecks of popcorn flew out of his mouth. A few landed on Twilight’s snout. “I have done nothing but watch. It has been quite the spectacle.” With a snap, a pair of glasses appeared on Twilight’s muzzle.

Twilight ignored the glasses and began. “If you knew what was going on, how come you didn’t help?” She crossed her forelimbs and blew the popcorn from her muzzle petulantly.

Discord just laughed. “I wouldn’t dare interfere with your research. Don’t tell me you didn’t enjoy that.” Discord wiggled his eyebrows playfully. “You have a test subject in your library that you know nothing about. Don’t deny that there is a part of you that secretly delights in this.”

Twilight’s cheeks puffed out as they did their best impression of a tomato. “Stop it, Discord! I don’t want to play games with you right now!”

Fluttershy cleared her throat to say something. Both discord and Twilight looked over at her. “Uhm… I think what Discord is trying to say is that um… he didn’t do anything to cause this Twilight.”

“Oh, oh ho ho ho! Now I see. Something you can’t explain happens and you immediately blame the lord of chaos.” Discord leaned back in his seat and frowned. “I’m hurt Twilight. Poor Fluttershy has worked so hard to reform me. I wouldn’t do anything to ruin that friendship.” Discord pouted.

Twilight narrowed her eyes at Discord, and then sighed. "If you didn’t do this, then who did?” Twilight accused.

“Did you find out what type of magic brought the human here? I would expect the element of magic would have already determined the origin.” Discord raised an eyebrow at Twilight with a half grin.

“The only thing I was able to determine was that it was very powerful and that it was no magic I’m familiar with.” Twilight replied with frustration.

Discord Smiled a devilish smile and chuckled. “So You're telling me that the element of magic was unable to find out what kind of magic brought the human here?” Discord crossed his arms in a mock pout. “And you blame ol’ Discord because you’ve run out of options?” Discord raised a brow. “Certainly the princess of friendship would understand that this is not the way to go about finding answers, especially by blaming others.” Discord clapped his hands together and smiled once again. “I think I will pardon this particular instance. I think I may be of assistance as a friend. For somepony who is so familiar with magic, you are quick to forget that there are more than just the mundane everyday magics. I’m sure you're familiar with chaos magic, yes?” Discord snapped his paw and a flock of teacups scattered throughout the room flying everywhere with wings. Discord leaned in towards the purple alicorn and lowered his voice to a whisper. "Did you forget about the dark triad?”

Twilight’s pupils shrank as her brain considered what discord suggested. Her ears lowered flat against her head and a lock of her mane sprang out like a spring. Dark magic was frowned upon in Equestria. Was it possible that through her haste she was unwilling to consider that dark magic was responsible for the human’s existence? Perhaps it was the fact that if it was really dark magic that brought the human here, there was a very small chance she could do anything about it. The open mouth and the glazed look was enough for Discord to turn his attention to Fluttershy.

“It appears I may have broken the purple one…” Discord casually mentions as he drums his talons on the table. After a moment Discord looks to Fluttershy and smiles. “Could you pass the sugar? This tea is not nearly sweet enough.” Discord smiled and fluttered his eyes innocently at the yellow mare.

“Oh Dear.” Fluttershy muttered under her breath. Fluttershy wordlessly passed Discord the sugar and got up from the table and slowly approached her broken friend. She turned to Discord. “I hate to cut this short, but I think it’s in everypony's best interest if I get Twilight back to the library.” Fluttershy stole a furtive glance to see one of Twilight’s eyelids twitching followed by an ear twitch and another lock of her mane springing out of place. Fluttershy lightly brushed her friend’s cheek with a wing with no response.

Discord just gave an impish smile and gestured with his paw. “It’s no trouble at all Fluttershy dear. In fact, I can give you a hand.” Discord detached his paw from his arm and placed it on the table. Before Fluttershy could protest, the detached limb snapped and Fluttershy’s cottage was replaced by a wall of bookshelves and a nonplussed Spike.

The purple dragon crossed his arms and gave Fluttershy a deadpan look. “What did Discord do this time?” Spike eyed the mares up and down. “And should I even ask why you look like you’re going to the gala...and is that popcorn?”