• Published 26th Apr 2020
  • 6,750 Views, 510 Comments

Equestria's Ray of Hope - The_Darker_Fonts

  • ...
45
 510
 6,750

PreviousChapters Next
When the Time Comes

It took a confusing few seconds to orient himself as he realized that he was looking up at the sky as it was moving. It was darkening at the moment, probably sunset, with the moon hanging in the twilight air with gleaming appeal. Squinting his eyes slightly, he realized he felt slightly loopy, the moon tilting this way and that like he was bouncing. With a start of breath, he realized he really was, and sat upright, blood rushing to his head and almost making him black out. Groaning, pressing a hand against his head as it seared with pain, he squeezed his eyes shut.

“Sweet Celestia, he lives,” someone exclaimed, followed by various curses of relief.

“Yeah yeah, I’m awake,” Ray grumbled as his vision returned. He still felt a bit shaky, but he planted his feet on the ground and stood up from whatever it was he’d been laying on. Glancing over his shoulder, he gasped as he realized they’d been dragging him on a makeshift cart. “Hell on earth…”

“You had us real damn frightened, sir,” one of the Fallen said, a brownish one that sat, wiping his brow. “I mean, the big spider came over here and- “

In an instant, said big spider was suddenly looming over the group, which consisted entirely of unfamiliar faces. She reached down with both feelers and swept him off his feet, bringing him into the air before her eight eyes. He let out a yelp at the sudden ragdolling from being carried about, disoriented hopelessly and still unsteady from waking up. After a few more seconds of being shaken down, the Matriarch let out what Ray thought was a sigh.

“It seems you have survived your deadly encounter with the Spectre alone, somehow,” she speculated. “At the very least, you still seem physically capable of moving and talking like the mortal you were before these strange events. You also still feel like the same human as before. I’m guessing that you weren’t replaced mentally or physically by the Spectre.”

“No, definitely not replaced,” Ray replied, glancing down warily at the silent Fallen. “We’re encrypted, right?”

“Of course, of course,” the Matriarch answered, looking even more relieved. “In fact, you just proved you’re still indeed our Ray. I would not have been able to transfer the language of the Spectre in this world.”

“Awesome.” Pausing briefly, still held by the Matriarch midair, he smiled slightly and asked, “Can I be left on my own two feet now?”

“Perhaps if you can remain conscious, I shall allow it,” she teased warmly, though she did set him down on her head. “Now, please explain how you managed to fight off the Spectre after it banished me from its realm.”

“I’ll have to give you the abbreviated version, unfortunately,” Ray told her, glancing up at the darkened sky. “As it is, I’m already late for the visit, and given Twilight doesn’t have a clue as to our plans concerning a mobile offensive, it may take every second of moonlight we have.”

“I see,” the Matriarch replied, instantly beginning to move in the direction of the wayport. “Best hurry on with it, then.”

“In short, I met the Aspects,” Ray blurted out. He couldn’t help but shudder as he remembered how he’d met them, his skin prickling with the trauma of that memory. “Or more accurately, they saved me right before the Spectre could shred my body into a million pieces. As soon as you disappeared- which by the way, I’m glad you’re alive- it basically consumed me into itself and began… torturing me. And then, out of nowhere, there was a brightness and serenity that overtook it all. I thought I had died for certain, but then there were five figures, the Aspects.”

“Which ones,” the Matriarch asked intensely, though her swift pace didn’t slow.

“Well, they said that there were many more potentially watching, but Light, Love, Friendship, Darkness, and one other were there,” Ray said, searching his memory. “The last one, I couldn’t tell what she was, and none of them were in a sharing mood, so I don’t know what she could be.”

Pausing briefly to scour the possibilities, he shrugged and guessed, “Maybe that one was Cadence’s kid, Flurry Heart, I think. The little alicorn princess from the Crystal Empire. She’s probably too young to have manifested an Aspect or be implemented into their plan yet. Besides, I think in order to be an alicorn, you have to have an Aspect, or at least, that’s the precedent they’ve set so far. Darkness was pretty blunt and conscientious of my time for an eternal being, which was nice, since it probably meant I woke up before you began an autopsy on me.”

“Yes, as you might have seen, I do have some traits developed from my mother,” the Matriarch muttered softly. “She always hated ‘beating around the bush’, as is the saying. Wastes too much of her unlimited time and wittles down her patience.”

“Right, you are her daughter, directly,” Ray exclaimed. “I’d completely forgotten about that when I met her.”

“Hm, yes, I suppose meeting the omnipotent personification of the dark can temporarily blind one’s mind,” the World Weaver teased once again, beginning to slow down. “We need to discuss this more, but it seems we’re here, and one more minute of being late will mean a tonguelashing from both Skalos and Twilight.”

“For different reasons, though,” Ray pointed out with a smile down at the Matriarch’s many eyes. Sobering up slightly, he reached down and rested a hand against her forehead. “What I said before, I really meant. There was a brief moment in there, as soon as you dissipated into mist, when I thought I had lost you. Whatever this connection we have through the Aspects is, I realized, isn’t some cosmetic scheme to use us in tandem with each other. I know it’s more, that it’s real. Whatever it is, know that I genuinely want to see us through this, both the mortal war and the celestial one.”

“The feeling is perfectly the same, Ray,” the Matriarch whispered as she lowered her head to the ground, allowing him to slip off. Reaching out one of her feelers, she gently patted him on the head, staring at him with her many eyes. “But we will have to allow our duties to come first in this matter. Especially in this matter. Your friends and family will be waiting quite impatiently at this point.”

“Right then,” Ray agreed, drawing himself up. With a curt nod, he turned and began storming towards the wayport, only a few feet away. Skalos stood there, glaring at Ray impatiently, but he ignored the glare long enough to warn him, “You may be hearing in a minute or two about why I’m so late, but that’s a problem for future us to deal with. I’m late enough as is!”

“He says as if it isn’t his fault,” Garish chuckled, sitting with folded hooves.

Giving the stallion a smirk, Ray shook his head at him while reaching for the pendent. “Why’re you even here?”

“In case Skalos needed someone who could kindly bust your kneecaps for being later than thirty minutes.” Glancing down at his hoof, feigning checking the time, he warned, “Twenty eight minutes on the clock, Ray. Better teleport quickly.”

“Yeah yeah, I’m going,” the human replied, grinning. “Don’t hafta be so eager to see me leave.”

Raising the pendent into the air with one hand while he saluted the watching trio, he was consumed in light. It was strange, knowing what exactly the wayport was doing now, using Light’s own power in a fraction of a proportion, its warmth and brightness an internal piece of the Aspect itself. Yet, that knowledge also had its comforts. At the very least, while the Spectre had been able to pierce the magic from him, it would not be able to strike through this. Meaning, therefore, this was a secure way of traveling between Equestria and the Tauran plains. His experience with the Spectre last had left him with his doubts.

The light faded and Ray braced himself for whatever faced him, previous months having prepared him for the tonguelashing Twilight would give him as soon as he appeared. Instead of a panicked string of worries about what could have happened, though, she grumbled, “I should’ve expected you to be a bit late at this point.”

“Well, I do like to keep up appearances,” he replied with a sheepish smile, stepping out of the warm circle. Nodding to one of the plush couches, he asked, “Can I sit. I actually have a lot to talk to you about this time.”

“I hope it’s fast, because there was a plan tonight,” Twilight sighed, seating herself as well. Sitting up slightly, she said, “Not to rush you, though. The war does take priority.”

“Good, ‘cause this is going to be hefty news, so sit tight,” Ray warned, shuffling slightly on the couch. Twilight raised a brow but remained silent, beckoning Ray to continue. “We’re going on the offensive.”

“Oh,” the princess squeaked. “Uh-uh-uh… w-when… um… when would you… begin?”

“We march out tomorrow,” he stated, going straight for the throat.

“What,” Twilight rasped, her voice barely audible as her pupils shrunk.

“I know you would have wanted me to consult with you first before this, but I was afraid your opinion would cloud my judgment,” he explained. She began to protest but he held up a hand to silence her. “I know, I know, but you have to understand. You’re concerned for me just as much as you’re concerned for Equestria, and that’s incredibly unhealthy for your judgment. We need to think of this war as a single blaze and tear. Anything that lasts longer than two or three battles will quickly become unsustainable. We were incredibly lucky to lose so few soldiers on the landing, but in future battles, with similar numbers, it will be impossible to keep casualties low.

“The major thing we realized is that there is no such thing as a stealth operation in the Tauran plains. It’s too dusty to conceal the movement of even a hundred soldiers. Therefore, we know they haven’t even begun closing in on us. With the way morale is rapidly declining and how devastating even a single loss would be for us, I came to the conclusion that there is no other option. We have to take a risk and force a victory. The goal of the attack is a conclusive battle, the discovery of where the minotaurs come from, and the result either a secured loss or victory of Equestria.”

“And the expectation,” Twilight asked weakly.

“What,” he questioned, sitting up a little.

“What do you expect to happen, truthfully,” she repeated with a scared stare.

Ray paused, pursing his lips as he thought carefully of what he was going to say. The truth, obviously, but how? Twilight wouldn’t like to hear what he was about to say, even though he had already accepted it as the best possibility in either direction they had chosen. With a sigh, he stood up, coming to attention slowly.

“I believe we will march three weeks into the Tauran plains before encountering a major enemy force. Given the consideration of a major enemy force is four thousand minimum, it will put us within range of the first minotaur settlement… most likely. We still do not have concrete proof of anything out there but sungrass and hills, but at the very least there will have to be water more internally into the continent. But I figure you’re worried most about the casualties.

“Well… I believe that the best-case scenario is four hundred to six hundred deaths with the complete destruction of whatever enemy force we come across. The miracle of our landing being almost bloodless for our forces is a one-time blessing that I will not count on happening again. About half of those casualties will be from the first wave, with less and less losses per subsequent wave. From experience with the initial attack, I will strike just a minute after the first wave and before the second wave, if that’s what you’re worried about. However, I know that for our efforts, there can only be one result: the complete destruction of whatever army we come across. That, I know, will occur, no matter the cost.”

“That’s too ominous, Ray,” Twilight quietly protested. “I mean, four hundred soldiers dead at least? How many injuries? How many maimed that will never fight again?”

“It’s ominous but absolute,” Ray told her harshly. “There’s no reason why you should be getting upset over these results. As is, they’re as acceptable as possible, with a low enough loss of life to be sustainable and carry on. If we’re either incredibly smart or incredibly lucky, it may also be the complete knockout blow to the minotaurs. If the price we pay for Equestria’s security is around seven hundred Fallen and a few thousand spiderlings, then it will be both an unbelievable blessing and an unprecedented path to a swift, peaceful future. Even if we lose as many as five thousand in this campaign, so long as it brings this war to an end, it will be enough. Two-thirds of my Fallen will live a happy, quiet life, and the other third will die in the way they wished: fighting a greater evil to prove they have grown beyond their treacherous past.”

“You’re willing to let thousands of you soldiers die on the gamble that it will end the war,” Twilight questioned with a glare.

“You were willing to kidnap a kid from another world entirely in the hope he wouldn’t leave your world to die,” he pointed out sharply. The alicorn took a sharp breath as she looked away, biting her lip. It had been a long time since Ray had played his trump card. “We both do the wrong things for the right reason.”

“But those choices do have their consequences,” Twilight sighed, bowing her head. “Consequences you could never predict would hurt so much, would do so much damage.”

“But damage, not destroy,” he countered firmly, falling back into the chair. Rubbing his forehead, he mumbled, “Twilight, we knew what this war could bring, and this is the hardest part. We had hoped, both of us, that by simply being there we would be ‘forced’ to fight back so we could deceive ourselves into thinking these deaths wouldn’t be a result of our actions. Well, that strategy, as nice as it would have been for us, will only result in disaster now. I’m taking the initiative and responsibility. Change needs to happen, for all of us, and the deaths that will result from this will be on my head. But as the Fallen say, ‘It’s war, we’ll fight to die’. I just need to ensure it’s a death that is worthwhile.”

“How can you even say that, though, say that you’re going to lose allies and friends so calmly,” she questioned with teary eyes.

“How can you even question my dedication to my soldiers after months of telling me I’ve become too much of the monster you need,” he countered, slapping his hands against his thighs for effect. The alicorn shivered in her chair as she ducked away in shame completely, cornered totally. Letting out a slow breath, Ray sat up, coming to a realization. “Alright, what are you getting on about? You’re smarter than all of these contradictions you’re throwing yourself into.”

“It’s just that…” she began, trailing off as her voice cracked. “It’s just that… before, when you were still defending… you and the Fallen weren’t in such a scary predicament. I- I was almost comfortable, almost ready to begin considering that there may be a Ray and the Fallen after the war. It was selfish- and so is this- thinking that you could simply stop doing your job so that, if anything, you would still be around when this was all over. I guess I’m just stalling, preventing myself from hearing the inevitable.”

“You know who you chose,” Ray said plainly. “You can’t blame me for going against your will, just as I can’t blame your will for being so naively trusting and ignorant. It is the way you and I are, two sides of different coins. I’ll do my best to return though. I have some good news with this solemn news.”

“Really,” she asked hopefully, sitting up. “News of what sort?”

“The celestial kind, I guess,” he replied. “We- the Matriarch and I- took a stand against the Spectre in its own realm, and while she was expelled from it and I was briefly tortured, it caught the attention of the Aspects. Friendship, Love, Light, and Dark all came to take a stand against the Spectre physically and saved me from death. I spoke with them and they looked like humans. They weren’t very telling, but surprisingly, I think I get along with Darkness the best since she’s very short and to the point.”

“You were tortured,” Twilight questioned, brow furrowed. “How can that be good news, even if you did meet the Aspects?”

“Pain’s temporary, Twi, but the support from the Aspects, now that lasts a pretty long time,” he explained quickly. “The point is, they banished the Spectre, and while they themselves explained that it wouldn’t be for a very long time, it would be long enough for me to come into my own and for this war to end. It’s a sign that I’m meant to do this, attack and blaze through the minotaurs. They also kept mentioning another one of them, one who likes me a good deal apparently. I think it’s an Aspect that may want to… well, I don’t know the best word for it, but bind with me, I guess…?”

“Yes, bind is the best word for it,” Twilight mumbled as she stretched one of her wings and gave it a distant stare. “When Celestia guided me to rebirth, to becoming an alicorn, she didn’t explain that the alternation was needed to be seen as one for all ponies, and of every physical aspect of our world. Earth, sky, and magic all make up the consistency of Equestria, and thus you must physically represent both the world and the Aspect that chose you. A middleman of the physical and ethereal worlds, if you will.”

“I see,” he nodded, pressing a hand over his mouth and rubbing his chin. With a little chuckle, he asked, “Does that mean if I get chosen I’ll have wings and a horn?”

“Celestia, I hope not,” Twilight scoffed. “No offense, but human heads just don’t look made for horns of any kind.”

“Agreed.”

“So the Spectre’s no longer a problem then, or at least not at the moment?”

“Yep,” he sighed, tired. “The Spectre won’t harass me until whenever it breaks out of the Aspects’ banishment, and the Aspects themselves aren’t a concern in the war effort. They promised, or at least the five that were there, that we had nothing to fear from them.”

“Wait, five,” the princess questioned. “You only mentioned Love, Friendship, Light, and Darkness. Who was the fifth?”

“No clue,” he answered bluntly. “My best guess is she was whatever Aspect little Flurry Heart will be chosen by. She didn’t say much or do much, but she was there and did talk, so… yeah, I don’t really know what she is.”

“That’s a little disquieting, but if you’re confident in them remaining uninvolved…”

“One hundred percent,” he stated. “They wouldn’t explain anything to me I didn’t already know or guess, but they also weren’t actively hostile or manipulative either, not at all like the Spectre. It was strange.”

“They’re the first royalty that didn’t try to control you on sight,” Twilight half-heartedly joked, staring at the ground in shame.

Rolling his eyes, he reminded her, “That’s far behind us now. What I said earlier wasn’t meant to be a jab at you, but at reality. We’ve had to do things we’ll question for the rest of our lives in order to protect those that need it. I’ve forgiven you, and am quite frankly thankful now that you did send me. The time you’ve given me to live, the life I’ve been able to enjoy, far outweighs removing me from the world that spat on my face every day. Just because it was cruel, it doesn’t make it evil. The harsh reality is, more than anything, you were manipulated by the Aspects to seek me out for them and bring me into their domain. It was your own action inspired by a plan of the gods.”

“That sounded almost… religious, Ray,” Twilight admired, sitting up.

“It probably is,” he admitted with a shrug. “I mean, when my best friend is a fifteen hundred year old horse, a giant thousands of years old spider is my consultant, and I’ve met six different beings without beginning or end, it’s hard not to begin to think of it like some strange religion. Twisted, confusing, and terrifying, but religion somehow.”

“Huh,” the mare scoffed slightly, smiling. “I guess to each their own. I know Friendship as much as she wants me to know her, and the line between mortal and deity is solid, but transparent. She lets me see her power’s incredible strength and also the boundaries that do exist, if way beyond any mortal reach. I’m guessing our relationship is much in part thanks to her being the embodiment of Friendship and me constantly seeking it out. We just naturally got along and she let me see who I had chosen and why she was so keen on me.”

“I see.” Pausing, he looked around at the throne room briefly, before asking, “You said there was something planned, right? Is it here, because you don’t seem very-”

“Crickey,” Twilight shouted, shooting out of her chair. “Nope, I just totally forgot thanks to everything we’ve been talking about!”

“Well, the matters of-”

“No time for quips,” she snapped, grabbing him by the hand and tugging him off the sofa.

He had no warning as the terrain around him suddenly became shrouded in the alicorn’s sparkly, purple magic. It was gone before he knew it, but instead of standing on solid ground, one foot was there while the other hovered in the air. With a yelp, he stumbled for a bit before falling straight head over heels down the hill, the wet grass sending a sharp chill through him. A few inappropriate words flew out his mouth as he felt his senses sharply tingle, the combination of cold and overstimulation to his sensitive nerves. He came to a stop as he ran into something strong and barky.

“Ouch,” he wheezed, his chest feeling bruised already. Squeezing his eyes shut for a moment to simply breathe, he grabbed the tree trunk and grunted as he pulled himself to his feet, slightly shaky. Brushing a bit of melting snow from his shoulder he grumbled, “Woulda been nice to have solid ground under my feet when you…”

He trailed off as he looked up and realized that, as a matter of fact, he was not merely in the presence of Twilight. Right away he picked out Fluttershy, Rarity, Dash, the Pies, and the Apples from the crowd that stared at him in shock. Discord hovered over them, his mouth hidden by his unique hands, looking like he was trying his best not to guffaw at the whole ordeal. There were also the different rulers of Equestria present, Cadence, Shining Armor, Flurry Heart, Ember, Redar, and the leaders of the yaks, seaponies, changelings, and griffons. Behind them, a conglomerate of at least a thousand more individuals of various species, namely ponies and changelings, were gathered. It was also then that he realized he was not in Apple Acres, but a town square.

“Wonderful,” he muttered under his breath as he drew himself up, ignoring where his chest bled from the bark scratching it. The hill he had rolled down was a hill, and the tree a tree, part of a tiny plot of land that was surrounded by cobblestone and buildings. Taking a step backwards up the hill to be a bit closer to Twilight, he kept his eyes on the crowd. Yeah, he knew what was going on. For certain…

“This is why you should always watch your mouth,” Twilight hissed for only him to hear, both staring at the shocked crowd.

“A little warning that I would have an audience woulda been nice too,” he countered, rolling his shoulders back.

Finally, Redar stepped forward and greeted him with a great bow, booming, “And so comes the great human warrior, of whom our lives are owed and the future is protected!”

“And in what fashion too,” Discord exclaimed, looping past the drake as several other monarchs went to bow. Wrapping his claw around Ray’s shoulders, the draconequus pulled him in for a brief hug, which the human returned in kind, patting him on the back. As he did so, Discord whispered in his ear, “You’re lucky Flurry’s the only kid here. Otherwise some parents would’ve fainted at that last little delectable bit of dialect!”

“What dialect,” Ray asked innocently as he stepped away. Smiling, thedraconequus floated backwards in the air, allowing for the more officious and respectful monarchs to step forward.

“Ray, the species of Equestria have watched you for over a year as you’ve become a general and courageous leader,” Shining Armor began.

“You have displayed immense knowledge, temperance, and diligence in taking on the task none of us ever could even imagine facing,” Pharynx stated.

“And through it all, you’ve been stalwart and reserved, your many good deeds only heard about through whispers and never seen,” Queen Novo continued.

“But no longer,” Prince Rutherford bellowed with a smile. “No longer will the good human be hidden, ignored!”

“You promised us that the villains of the world would be destroyed and that peace would be protected, and your promise has been fulfilled above all expectations,” King Thorax proclaimed.

“More than that, though, you have been a shining beacon of friendship, strength, and hope,” Cadence said next.

“Your work with the nations of Equestria to ensure our safety has been a two-pronged battle to put us at ease and the enemy down,” Gilda spoke. “It's an almost impossible labor for any one individual to undertake.”

“And yet, you did take on perhaps the most challenging conflict Equestria has ever faced, in spite of not being from Equestria,” Princess Skystar exclaimed.

“Your work and labor has protected Equestria from the physical threat to peace as well as the ideological threat to peace,” the Consulate of the bison added.

“And for that, you shall be forever forged into the heart of Equestria itself, the capital of the ponies, and center of all peaceful living,” Ember finished. She raised a claw and pointed behind Ray, up the small rise. Turning over his shoulder, he was breathless for a moment as he stared at what he hadn’t noticed stood behind him.

It was a white marble statue of him, about the same size, maybe a foot taller. He was staring out westward, towards the coast, his kharamh held barely above the ground but still pointing towards the distant Tauran lands. His face looked remarkably like he did, though a bit too perfect and smooth, his hair… weird. This statue of him was embarrassingly missing a shirt or real pants, just a wavy bit of “cloth” around his groin held up by a bronze band representative of his belt. His features were still remarkably accurate, a slight sharpness to his gaze and thin lips showing that stoic attitude he approached the entire war with. His kharamh looked exactly like the one he currently had strapped across his back, the same material and grip even being used.

What really caught his eye, though, was what surrounded the detailed statue of himself. Otolo sat on his shoulders, a reddish granite bird with a white gold beak and talons, her wings spread as if she were about to take flight. He had two sheaths for knives, but one was empty while the other was occupied. After a second of searching, he found it stuck in the ground, where pieces of white granite lay scattered and broken, held in place by small tendrils of iron. Those same tendrils of iron wrapped around his feet entirely and dug into the ground, the symbolism stark and realized. The entire statue had a serene respect to it, glorifying him.

He smiled, in spite of how his heart dropped. Frowning would do no good to everyone who had put so much effort into building this beautiful, terrible statue.

“The statue was funded by the Seaquestrians,” Queen Novo began.

“The marble was mined in Equestria,” Twilight spoke for the first time.

“The iron torn from the earth by the yaks,” Prince Rutherford declared proudly.

“And was refined in the griffon forges,” Gilda stated firmly.

“The marble was sculpted in the Crystal Empire,” Princess Cadence said next.

“The metal was shaped by dragon fire,” Ember proclaimed.

“While the pieces were transported by the bison,” the Consulate added.

“And put together in the Changeling Hive,” Thorax finalized.

“The work of each Equestrian species was used to show the gratitude each species has for their savior, and- in the coming days- a statue to the Fallen and their legacy will be designed, funded, and approved,” Twilight stated. “It shall reside on the peak of Canterlot Major so that it may watch over the entirety of Equestria, to witness the life, love, and friendship the Fallen protected. For your bravery, honor, and suffering, the memory of the Fallen armies will remain a permanent symbol to every Equestrian for as long as these species live.”

Ray nodded slightly as the crowd began cheering, letting his smile become a thankful grin. He watched the crowd shouting and waving, occasionally waving to different areas of the gathering in acknowledgement. This was the first time he was seeing many of the citizens of Equestria, the yaks, changelings, hippogriffs, and bison. Some of them were about the same size as him, but for the most part, he still maintained a whole head over even the larger bison. Beaks and lips alike were shouting his name, or shouting for the Fallen, all calling out in honor of him and his army.

To his side, Twilight bumped his knee. He glanced down at her, feeling very conscious of how many sets of eyes were on him. She was staring up at him with wide eyes, shooting her gaze briefly at the crowd. He gave her a raised brow, knowing what she was asking for but still incredibly unsure about how exactly to begin. With a sigh, though, he looked out over the crowd, stepping down the hill slightly. He would give them both the speech they wanted to hear and the speech they needed to hear.

“Thank you, species of Equestria,” he began, taking his time to let his voice echo through the street. “This monument is an incredible feat and a wonderful honor, humbling and sincere at the same time. Tonight is the first time I am seeing many of the citizens I fight to defend, the griffons, yaks, bison, changelings, and hippogriffs. It is spectacular to see so many wonderful, beautiful creatures in one place and for one purpose. I promise to all of you that the Fallen will hear of the loyal, joyful support they have from Equestria.

“But I do have a warning for you, Equestria.” The cheers and applause that had begun to erupt died as he continued, and he could feel Twilight’s gaze intensely on him. “The days we have lived through so far have been easy. The fighting has only just begun, and the burden of war has been light. We face, in the coming days, a battle both in the Tauran plains and on the Equestrian continent for the preservation of hope, love, and life as it is. We face a potential to allow fear and upheaval destroy the very notion of the world we protect.

“The time is approaching swiftly, for tomorrow the Fallen armies take the offensive against the minotaur, to plunge deep into their territory and rip a victory from their heartland. The risk is great and the cost of life may be greater, for the future is unknown. A battle will be fought before the next full moon that will decide the fate of Equestria. As terrifying as that sounds, though, it is a battle for how Equestria will live on, not on whether or not it will be destroyed or continue. I’m giving you, the people, a warning that if I and the Fallen fail in this battle, life will become harder. Fear will prevail, hope may wane, and there may be death on our shores.

“When that time comes, though, do not let the storm blot out the light. Do not allow yourself to fall victim to the war within your mind. The Equestrians have long survived the strife and power struggles of different tyrants, and this shall be no different. Even if I and the Fallen are all killed, our oath to you is that the minotaurs will be weakened and unable to harm Equestria like they once threatened to do. With our lives, we will buy the ability for you to live on and show the world the strength in peace, love, and friendship. With our blood will the minotaur threat be washed away and the enemy’s bloodlust be quenched.

“All of that to say that there is almost no chance of this happening. Equestria, the soldiers of the Harkening are confident, brave, and incomparably resilient. The forces put against us upon our landing scattered like sand in the face of a hurricane, whipped about and tossed asunder. The minotaurs are strong, but blunt instruments of destruction that have nothing when faced with the elite army we wield. It is the reason why we are confident that this maneuver will produce results only favorable to us and our war. If there is any reason to fear, let it be the smallest chance, the least likely and worst case scenario. The Fallen will not fail, and the might of Equestria’s people in their peaceful, unbreakable resolve shall shatter the minotaurs like iron on glass. Hear me now when I tell you that by the kharamh I wield and the army that follows me, the minotaur will never step foot on Equestria!”

His final declaration was met with uproarious approval, the voice of the people echoing not just in the street, but in the city itself. He smiled in a self-satisfied way, pumping a fist into the air as the cheering soared to a crescendo. For some reason, between the Fallen, the politics, and the public speaking, spontaneous speeches had come easily to him. Looking down at Twilight, he jokingly asked, “Is good press relations another reason you choose me?”

“Not at all, but it worked itself out,” the alicorn grumbled.

Frowning at her unexplained negative attitude, he pressed, “What’s wrong?”

“Bah, I’m just almost mad at you is all,” she muttered, shaking her head from side to side as if to try and clear it.

“Almost mad,” he questioned, confused. Before he could get an explanation from the mare, though, the crowd’s cheering died once again, leaving the square strangely silent.

“Thank you for your attendance tonight, friends and rulers alike,” Twilight boomed, a cheerful smile masking whatever emotion “almost mad” was. “We shall hold the words of Ray close to our hearts as we wish him well on the journey forward, however treacherous and dangerous it may be! For now, though, you must bid him farewell as we must return him to his army across the sea.”

A final, smaller round of applause and cheers echoed through the street as the Apples, Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, and Discord all stepped forward. He didn’t question it aloud, but when he glanced down to Twilight, he noticed her eyes dart away from him. As the group congregated around him and the princess, he looked for a friendly smile or even an embrace. There was none, not even from Pinkie.

Sobering in an instant, he asked, “What is it?”

The others all glanced away from him, all but Rarity, who gave him a mournful look as she mumbled, “Ray, we’re sorry, but we need to talk. Otolo went missing three weeks ago.”

“No,” Ray breathed, his heart dropping as the world vanished in a flash of purple.

Author's Note:

The world unifies in time for Ray's heart to shatter...

PreviousChapters Next