• Published 26th Apr 2020
  • 6,748 Views, 509 Comments

Equestria's Ray of Hope - The_Darker_Fonts

  • ...
45
 509
 6,748

PreviousChapters Next
Contingency Plans

“So, as you can see, I believe that the Spectre is attempting to catch me when I’m alone and when I start drifting away from normal thoughts,” Ray finished explaining, his finger pointed at the crude diagrams and drawing on the large whiteboard provided to him by Fluttershy. “That’s why I need at least someone with me at all times, so that I don’t get taken back to that place and potentially killed.”

“Well, that’s awf'ly grim,” Applejack muttered, a hoof tapping her chin steadily. With a slight pause, she looked around at the others in the room, each with their own concerned or shocked expressions. Ray had left out the whole Aspect theory out of the talk, along with the other theories he and Twilight had come up with, since they were theories and he had no clue what was actually going on. Besides, Twilight had seemed touchy about telling what the Aspects were, and knowing her, it was probably best to let her explain it if it needed to be taken into consideration.

“Well, I for one wasn’t going to let you leave my sights while you were on your break anyways,” Rarity declared. “You are far behind on any sort of fashion and your tunic and boots certainly need a touch of customization. After all, if you go into the war looking like that, the enemy will laugh themselves dead before you even touch them!”

“Rarity, I don’t think bloodthirsty monsters give a flying hoof what Ray wears when he kills them,” Rainbow chimed in. “After all, it isn’t every day that they see a human wielding the wackiest spear in the world charging at them with a horde of glowing pony soldiers.”

“Point taken,” Rarity replied softly. “Though customization can’t hurt.”

“Girls, should we really be worried about fashion right now,” Pinkie questioned as she cradled her little colt in her hooves. Luna hadn’t lied about Pinkie giving birth only a few days ago while he was gone, heck she had even given Ray the right name, but it was still somewhat of a shock to see. “Ray, what’s the plan?”

“It’s not perfect, but I was thinking that, for the moment, if it wouldn’t disrupt anybody’s schedules too much, I would spend the day with one of you and then have you come and stay at my house for the night,” Ray explained, erasing part of his diorama he deemed useless to draw out the plan. “So long as you all are comfortable with it, of course, this should be a cakewalk. No demonic possessions or otherworldly abductions.”

“Well, that’s certainly a good plan,” Rarity nodded with strained appreciation. “The only problem is that I’m not sure if we alone could stop this thing from taking you over even if we are around. I mean, something that could give you a scar while still in your mind is…”

“A whole lot more powerful than a pony,” Applejack finished for her. The mare glanced over at Rainbow, who was also giving Ray a concerned stare. “Ray, whatever this is, it ain’t somethin’ we’ve ever heard a’ or dealt with before. We have no clue what we’re doing.”

“Welcome to the party,” Ray replied coldly. Taking a deep breath to soothe his stress, he explained factually, “It hasn’t gotten hold of me in the few days since its last visit, but with what happened today, we can’t risk another encounter. I’d call Twilight for some assistance, but we’ve already discussed this in great detail and have failed to come to a consensus. For now, she believes that the best course of action is for me to spend time with you guys… before the opportunity to do so is too late. In my opinion, this attack only proves her theory correct. The attempted possession was a last-ditch effort before I once again surrounded myself with friends and family. It must mean it either can’t or won’t reach me while I’m around those I care about.”

“Well, if you have faith in this plan, then so do we,” Rainbow cried enthusiastically. “Hay, why don’t I take the first shift anyways? I won’t be able to do it Thursday or Friday ‘cause a’ Wonderbolt training, but I can definitely hang with ya today, Ray.”

“Yer, not jus’ sayin’ that because it’s already night and yer shift would be to stay here ‘till somepony else takes over tomorrow mornin’, right,” Applejack questioned keenly, a knowing smirk on her face as she leaned in.

“What, pfft, no,” Rainbow denied, pushing the encroaching mare away with a blush. “I’m doing it for the good of our friend Ray here, I’ll have you know!”

“Oh oh oh oh oh, and since Ray super stong and I’m still a bit sore from pushin’ a baby outta me, he can help me with deliveries tomorrow, and Lil’ Cheese’ll need some extra handling, so Ray can help me there,” Pinkie interrupted. “It’ll be great for him to get used to how mobile his mama is early, and with Ray’s help, it’ll mean the world to Cheesy, since he’s gotta run to the Canterlot Gimmicks Convention!”

“Well, we’d be glad ta have ya back on th’ farm fer a day,” Applejack said with a beaming smile. “Only problem is that we’ll be runnin’ orders all over the place ‘till Saturday, so we won’t be able to stick together very well.”

“Guess that means that you get Ray Thursday, Flutters,” Rainbow quipped, giving the silent mare a little nudge. The pegasus had remained silent the entire conversation, steadily watching as Ray had drawn out the Spectre and strange dimension it had created for him. She didn’t even seem the slightest bit phased by the small tap, staring intensely at the drawings with occasional glances over to Ray. After a brief moment, she simply nodded with the slightest hum of agreement, the only noise she’d made all day.

“It’s right in time for tea day, as well,” Ray added with a small smile, attempting to receive any sort of verbal response, but the mare instead looked away to the ground. Sighing, he shoved his… well, he didn’t know the feeling quite, but he pushed it away regardless, focusing on the task at hand. “I still need somebody for Friday. Any of you available?”

“Actually, I was just thinkin that there’s a cert’n group a’ fillies who haven’t seen ya in a hot minute,” Applejack mentioned with a sure smile. “And it jus’ so happens ta be summer break as well.”

“Are you sure you want to get the CMC involved with the Spectre,” Ray asked firmly, taking a step towards her. “That thing nearly killed me in my own head. Something this dangerous should be dealt with by the adults.”

“Of which, you aren’t one,” Rarity keenly pointed out. “You turn sixteen in but a few months. Hardly the age I would think you should be to deal with the invasion of a monstrous force.”

“Yet I’m able to do so because of my strength and skill, physically and mentally,” Ray responded.

“You’ve been ta Zecora’s a half dozen times with injuries of all sorts that coulda killed ya,” Applejack rebutted. “And we’re here right now ‘cause a’ some strange bein’ that’s messin’ with your head.”

“And this plan will cure that,” Ray finished, crossing his arms.

“Which brings us full circle to the CMC being able to prevent that, and- by your and Twilight’s theory- preventing any danger,” Rainbow concluded with a raised brow. “It may be safer for everyone for those three to be with you than anywhere else.”

Ray took a deep breath, pushing down the fight for the moment so he could think. Rubbing his temples as he did so, he came to realize that the others were most likely right. The CMC were the most innocent ponies he knew in Ponyville, and considering there would be the three of them to occupy his time and thoughts. Besides, while he didn’t want to say it out loud, he had the feeling that if the Spectre did take control of him, it didn’t matter if the girls were close to him or not.

Letting the breath out in a sigh, he looked back up to the other five, nodding his head as he said, “Alright, then. The CMC will be with me this Friday, but not a word of what is really going on up here,” he commanded as he tapped a finger to his head. “As far as they know, this is a rare opportunity for me to not be training and spend time with them at a sleepover.”

“Right,” four voices agreed in unison.

Author's Note:

So, originally meant to be part of a longer chapter, but then I realized that if flowed more cohesively as its own short chapter rather than one of three parts to another chapter, so here it is. New chapter to shortly follow.

PreviousChapters Next