• Published 16th Jan 2020
  • 2,383 Views, 204 Comments

Transmission Spectrum - FanOfMostEverything



Sunset Shimmer was the nigh-omnipotent Spirit of Harmony... until the day she wasn't.

  • ...
5
 204
 2,383

Infrared

Sunset's first impression was an old memory recovering from a stint as a nightmare. The carpet was still scorched in places, the marble blackened, the stained-glass windows replaced by plain ones. The entire back wall was just gone, replaced by sheets of wood. Celestia's throne room had certainly seen better days.

But it wasn't Celestia sitting on the reading chair that had taken her throne's place. And it wasn't Sunset speaking to the princess. Not exactly.

"Wait," said the memory of the local Sunset, "the princesses went to a retirement community?"

And the question was so bizarre, so fundamentally wrong, that the Sunset watching forgot she was spectating and completely fell into her counterpart's mind.

"No, no," Princess Twilight said in her hastily supplied backup throne. "I thought that at first too, but. that's Silver Stable. Silver Shoals is this nice kelp-farming village in Bittish Columbia. Perfectly nice place as long as you don't drop any cucumbers in the bay." She gave a nervous laugh as she took in Sunset's confused look. "Long story. There was a bunyip."

"It's not that. It's just... Celestia. Retiring." Sunset shook her head. "No matter how many times I hear it, I can't make myself believe it."

"I know exactly how you feel. And I'm the one who took her place!" Twilight slumped in her chair. "I don't think anypony would try to conquer Equestria if they realized they'd actually have to run it afterwards."

Sunset waited. The expected rump covering never came. Finally, just to break the silence, she said, "Yeah, that's rough. You know, I still have a notebook full of possible policy changes I wrote up before the Fall Formal if you're interested."

Twilight gave a beatific smile she'd definitely picked up from their mentor. "As far as I'm concerned, with Starlight looking after the school, you're the eighth member of the Council of Friendship. Feel free to bring it next time you're free. As long as they aren't too..." The mask slipped as she cleared her throat. "You know, evil."

Sunset smirked. "I'm pretty sure this makes me a royal vizier. Doesn't that mean I'm supposed to be evil?"

"Don't get me started," Twilight groaned. "Suddenly all the ponies who had years to get to know me, even after the wings, are crawling out of the woodwork to make nice with the 'new princess.'" For somepony born without wings, she put an impressive amount of scorn into the feather quotes. "I'm not even the newest princess anymore! Flurry's almost two years old!"

Sunset made herself nod. "Must be rough."

"And it's so frustrating. They all think I'll rubber-stamp any proposal they give me if they force the word 'friendship' into the first paragraph. I'm starting to get sick of the word." Twilight brought her hooves to her chest. "Me! The princess of the thing!"

"When's the last time you slept?" Sunset said as she approached the "throne." "You're sounding a lot like the other you after a weekend-long all-nighter."

"Sleep isn't the problem. Luna's still looking after the dreamscape, thank goodness. The problem," Twilight all but snarled, "is that apparently, after all I've done, some ponies hadn't ever heard of me until now. Clearly that means I was foaled yesterday."

Sunset patted her on the withers, royal etiquette be banished. "Don't worry. Give it a moon, tops. Everypony will know full well you're Princess Twilight Sparkle, and you've been around the block a few times."

"Thanks, Sunset. Really. I—" Twilight cut herself off as her horn started flashing. "Oh! Hold that thought." She moved to one of the western windows, lit her horn, and began moving the sun below the horizon.

Her. Not Celestia. Twilight.

"Happy to help," Sunset said over the internal screaming.


"Happy to help. Happy to help!?"

Sunset had wandered away from the throne room at some point. After a few minutes, she'd realized her hooves were guiding her to one of her favorite venting spots, the section of the Archives full of the most advanced and obscure magics, where almost nopony else might have intruded upon her dropping her old facade.

Or the one she'd had to put on today.

"Gets the world handed to her in a feedbag and she's just..." Sunset fluttered her eyelashes and, in her best worst mockery of Twilight's voice, cooed, "'Oh, look at me, I'm Miss Perfect Sparkle. Boo hoo hoo, ruling the country is so hard, and nopony could ever understand. I can move the sun and moon without batting an eye, but I'm surrounded by ponies who haven't heard of me. Waa waa waa.' Stuck-up... little..."

Sunset's rant and pacing both slowed to a halt when she realized she wasn't alone. An old unicorn stallion stared at her from the entrance, one eyebrow raised. She wasn't entirely sure what was going on behind the beard, but she couldn't think of any expressions she'd actually want to see there. The glass-enclosed flowerpot balanced on his back did not help. If anything, the way it pointed at her made it feel like the flower was judging her even more than its steed. "Um..." Sunset swallowed against the lump in her throat. "How long have you been standing there?"

The stallion moved into the central annex. "I came in somewhere around 'Miss Perfect Sparkle.'"

"I, uh..."

"Sunset Shimmer, I presume?" he said as he set the flower down at the foot of the central hourglass.

Sunset briefly considered denying it, but her old instincts told her there was little point in trying to deceive him. "You have me at a disadvantage, sir."

"Truly?" He looked up at the bust atop that hourglass. The one of the wing's namesake.

The one that looked exactly like him.

"Star Swirl!" Sunset found herself split. Did she bow? Genuflect? Box his ears? She settled on stammering out, "I, you, Twi... oh my gosh, I-I'm sorry, I'll go apologize to Twilight right away. I just—"

He held up a forehoof, silencing her. "Relax, Miss Shimmer. An apology will not help either of you right now. I understand your resentment."

"Y-you do?"

That got a single, jingling nod. "Indeed. You remind me of a young Luna."

It wasn't hard to follow his line of thought from there. "And Twilight is Celestia."

"Precisely. She flourishes, you languish, and so your resentment begins to outweigh your sisterly love. I know you are not sisters in blood, but you were both mentored by Celestia, and that manner of sisterhood can be just as binding. Until it is not." Sorrow crept into his gaze, and the restrained but burning energy surrounding him retreated. For the first time since Sunset had spotted him, Star Swirl seemed old. "I see a bit of Stygian in you as well, the stallion I so terribly failed."

"Twilight told me about him. I'm not going to court any dark forces for power if that's what you're worried about. Been there, done that, took a rainbow to the face." Sunset rolled her eyes. "And then I had to clean up the messes you left in that world..." She trailed off as she realized just who she was mouthing off to. "That is to say—"

Star Swirl shook his head. "Do not twist your words away from that harsh truth, Miss Shimmer. You more than anypony have earned the right to chastise me for my sloppiness. Stygian and Clover both warned me I had grown too reliant on banishing my problems. Over time, the spell became so rote I didn't even realize I was sending so much to the same world. It is because you have done so much to truly solve those problems I merely delayed that I trust you will not fall again.

"No, I sought you out for a different reason. With a new alicorn on the throne and no appeal in the forces of darkness, doubtless you feel like there is nowhere for one as ambitious as you to go. I fear you will simply lie down and accept irrelevance and futility. Far too many times have I seen a promising pupil give up hope because she felt she could not compare to her contemporaries, when with enough effort she could have been remembered for generations while they were all lost to history."

Sunset gave a lopsided grin. "That's a really convoluted way of saying 'Hang in there.'"

"But the message is no less important. You have already had a lasting impact on two worlds and the legacy of a foolish old stallion."

"Not always a good impact," Sunset said, gaze falling to the floor.

A stomp made her dart her head back up to see Star Swirl scowl. "As Meadowbrook once told me, show me a pony who has made no mistakes, and I shall show you a newborn." His expression softened to a smile mostly found in his eyes. "I sincerely hope that you continue to leave your mark on history, even with Princess Twilight on the throne."

Sunset returned the smile as best she could. "I appreciate that. Really." She rubbed a foreleg with the other fetlock. "Don't suppose you have any suggestions?"

"Well, as it happens..." Star Swirl's eyes moved to the flower under glass.

"Wait, seriously?"

"I have several other errands to attend to while at the castle, but after..." Star Swirl's expression soured as he said, "recent events, I find myself without anypony I can trust enough to tend to this wishblossom while I do them."

Sunset gasped and took in the flower. Each of the eight heliotrope petals glowed with its own inner light, the paler outer edges almost florescent. "W-wishblossom?"

"The one I left in Princess Twilight's care ended up exhausted by youthful folly. But who better to treat my work with the respect it deserves than one who has seen it misused time and again?"

Sunset gave Star Swirl a sidelong glance. "I literally crushed one of your greatest creations under my heel."

He snorted. "The Time Twirler. A fool's errand, that one. Nearly drove me mad before I was rid of it."

"Same. Hence, you know, the crushing."

"It only bolsters my confidence in you, Sunset." Star Swirl patted her on the withers and turned to leave. "I'll be back shortly."

Sunset watched him go, then turned back to the wishblossom. After a few moments, she said, "This was all just a setup to get me to plantsit for him, wasn't it?"

The wishblossom did not respond. Yet Sunset couldn't help but sense a sort of... eagerness to it. An attentiveness like Fluttershy staying quiet and letting other people talk themselves out.

"Well... It's just..." Sunset shook her head. "No. No, one of the greatest wizards in Equestrian history trusted me with this and I will not betray that trust."

The flower just stared at her, as much as something without eyes could. Come to think of it, it had been pointed at her since Star Swirl had come in the room. Was that normal? She'd gotten a few sunflowers to shift back when she helped Princess Celestia garden. Maybe it was something like that. She thought about finding a book on exotic flora to double-check.

But her hooves didn't seem inclined to leave the flower. Well, sure, she was supposed to guard it. From all zero other ponies in the Star Swirl Wing.

It was quiet. Libraries were supposed to be quiet, of course, but this silence was like a yawning chasm waiting to be filled. An abhorrent, unnatural vacuum. Enough to—

"Okay, fine." Sunset glared down at the flower. "But I'm just going to talk. And I'm not going to say you-know-what. I did do a little research about you before I fled the palace, in case you could've given me what I wanted back then. You want to be used. Something about your reproductive process and the germ of ideas.

"And that's the thing. I was trying to do this for years. Years!" Sunset felt herself start pacing again and went along with it. Like the words she was finally getting out, it felt good. "And even after I put aside world conquest, whenever I think of Princess Twilight, I can't help but think 'It could have been me.' If I had just sat down, shut up, and actually listened to what Celestia had been trying to tell me, it could be me in that throne room. And Twilight knows that. She knows my history with the prin..." Sunset shuddered as she added, "the former princess. She was there when we reconciled. But she complained about living my dream to my face, and it's..." She cut herself off, unwilling to go too far.

It lasted for all of a few seconds. "She got to be an alicorn, a princess, a ruler. At the Friendship Games, I thought I might have caught up, but..." Sunset bit her lip. Her hooves stamped in place like she had to use the little fillies' room. "I just wish I could be the one to get supreme power like that."

Sunset gasped and clapped her hooves over her mouth. "No! I mean, don't! Don't do it! I didn't mean it!"

The flower didn't react, and the strange allure vanished, a tug on her mind she only knew was there after it had gone.

Sunset let out a long sigh, her guts twisting. She couldn't tell if she was relieved or disappointed. "I guess even magic can't grant some wishes." She found a vaguely interesting looking book and stared at it for a while, occasionally remembering to turn a page.

The memory grew hazy from there, enough that the Sunset watching remembered that she was separate from the one who'd lived it. Star Swirl returned, giving Sunset praise that she grinned and bore even as the guilt stabbed at her. Sunset wandered through a Canterlot that had forgotten her and boarded a train full of strangers, then passed through a Ponyville that was just as ready to embrace a new era. Once through the portal, she moved through a different Canterlot in the same daze, one that had hardly ever known her in the first place, barely registering the people passing her by.

The hours blended together into a gray blur until they refocused on Sunset lying on her bed, crossing out line after line on the same scratch paper the other Sunset had used as a psychometric focus. "In a moment of weakness..." Furious scratching reduced that to one of the completely illegible lines. "It wasn't weakness, Shimmer, it was honesty. It's what you want but can't admit without a magic flower tugging on your tongue."

She sighed and went back to drafting. "If you could... Allow me to... Tell Celestia..." She scoffed at that. "What? Tell her what, Shimmer?"

With a groan, she wrote out one last line, then scratched it out so hard she almost tore the paper. She shoved the paper into the journal and slammed the book into the shelf. And then, falling back on her bed, geode glimmering unseen on her nightstand, she said what she'd last written.

"I just wish it could have been me."

And so Sunset turned out the Yuletide lights, shut her eyes... and began to glow.


Repetitive buzzing jolted Sunset out of her daze. For a few confused moments, she wondered why her local self had set an alarm for 11:28 in the morning. Then she realized it was the new journal. She flipped to the most recent message, forcing herself to focus through her mental fuzz.

Dear Sunset,

I'm not going to make any accusations one way or another, but Star Swirl would very much like to know what happened to six of his new wishblossom's petals. You should probably get to Ponyville as soon as possible. We'll both be waiting there.

Your friend,
Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

The village in "P.P.O.V." is actually called Seaward Shoals in that episode, but the point about the retirement community in "The Point of No Return" stands. Celestia and Luna did not go to an old folks' home.

As for Star Swirl leaving the recovering villain (as with any addiction, there's no such a thing as a recovered villain) with a force of unfathomable power, remember:

And I like the idea of wish-granting items wanting to use their power. That much potential is going to be unstable, and when the only way to release it is through a sincere request, well...