• Published 16th Jan 2020
  • 2,366 Views, 204 Comments

Transmission Spectrum - FanOfMostEverything



Sunset Shimmer was the nigh-omnipotent Spirit of Harmony... until the day she wasn't.

  • ...
5
 204
 2,366

Visible

"That... does explain things," human Twilight said once Sunset finished telling her about the vision. "So what did you tell my counterpart?"

Sunset dodged around the spotty foot traffic and patches of slush as quickly as she could manage while keeping her phone to her ear. "Basically, it's complicated and I'll explain in person. I'm on my way to CHS now. Sorry!" She practically pirouetted to avoid a man lugging several massive boxes. "I really miss teleportation," she grumbled.

Twilight replied with the high-pitched laugh that meant new information about magic had forced her to reassess her worldview, but she didn't want Sunset to feel bad about that. "W-well, with any luck, you'll be popping around spacetime in no time!" She cleared her throat and, somewhat less hysterically, said, "I'll let the others know the situation."

"Thanks, Twilight. I really do appreciate it. I'm not trying to shut you girls out, it's just panning out that way."

"I understand, and I'm reasonably sure the others will as well." After a moment, Twilight added. "Also, if this is the last time I speak to this specific instance of you, I just want to say it's been... enlightening. Thank you."

"Glad I could help," Sunset said with a smile. "When all's said and done, I'll see if the ETSAB can track down this worldline. I still need to say goodbye to everyone else."

"Right. So... bye!"

"Bye." Sunset couldn't bring herself to move the phone away from her ear, even as she crossed the street onto the CHS campus. If something went wrong...

After a few more moments, Twilight said, "Are you going to hang up first? I've fallen into this hole with Timber before, once I got him to communicate in something other than emojis."

Sunset sighed. "I'll have to. See you when I see you, Twilight." She finally put down the phone and, after one last moment of hesitation, ended the call. She looked at the marble plinth and held out a hand to it. Faint glimmers of light played along its surface as she got close.

"Didn't think I'd be able to do this again for decades." She shut her eyes. "Here goes nothing."

The passage through the portal was largely as Sunset remembered it, but for one brief moment that seemed to stretch out for eternity, she could see the higher levels of reality that had been closed off to her. In that transcendent instant, her shifting form resonated with the greater harmonies of the paracosmos, and her soul rose on astral wings.

Then she stumbled face first into the floor of the Ponyville castle.

Sunset sighed and got to her hooves. After she confirmed that the only bruises were on her pride, she turned to check her sides. No wings. "Really wasn't sure what to expect there."

"I expect an explanation," thundered Star Swirl. Given how his expression of seething rage almost perfectly matched Zeus's during Sunset's Olympian negotiations back home, it seemed an appropriate term.

"Oh, right, Star Swirl." Sunset nodded to the other pony in the room. "Hey, Twilight."

"Sunset. I'm afraid we have a lot to discuss."

"We do, just not how you think." Sunset turned to Star Swirl and tried her best to replicate the look she'd used on the god. "What in the name of Discord's dewclaw were you thinking!?"

His glower redoubled. "You dare speak to me like that, you—"

"You gave magic wishes and a compulsion to make them to a recovering megalomaniac. And you knew she was suffering from inadequacy issues. How are you surprised? You might as well have helped Luna pick out a new name for when she succumbed to darkness."

"Wait," said Twilight, "'she'?"

Star Swirl scoffed. "I thought you might at most make one wish. Either you would use it bring yourself closer to Twilight's level, or you would overcome the temptation and walk away knowing you had the strength of will to resist the simple solution and make your own."

Sunset snorted. "It was a little hard to resist temptation when the wishblossom practically grabbed her by the ears and shouted 'wish for something!'"

"'Her'? Sunset, why are you—"

"My experience with full specimens has admittedly been..." Star Swirl looked away from Sunset, if only for a moment. "Minimal. It is possible that I underestimated the allure."

"Why were you even exposing her to that allure in the first place?"

Twilight half-shouted, "Will somepony—"

"My intention was to follow the example of Princess Twilight and her friends." Said princess fell silent when Star Swirl's nodded towards her. "Generosity is a virtue in these times, especially in offering both inspirational and tangible aid to one's friends. Goodness knows I could have done more for many of my apprentices in that regard.

"But I didn't expect you to so shamelessly exploit that generosity." Star Swirl stomped a forehoof. "Half a dozen wishes, and yet here you stand, no different than yesterday! What nonsense did you even squander them on?"

"HEY!" Both unicorns jumped and turned to Twilight, who cleared her throat and scowled at them. "Sorry to break out the Royal Canterlot Voice, but I feel we should focus on why Sunset keeps trying to distance herself from making the wishes."

Sunset shook her head. "Wish."

"What?" the others chorused.

"Star Swirl was right. Sunset only made one wish."

"You are Sunset!" Twilight groaned. "Please tell me your Trixie hasn't rubbed off on you."

Star Swirl scoffed. "Never once have I heard of a wish using multiple petals. How do I know this isn't some absurd ruse? And even if it were true, how would you know about it if you were who you claimed to be?"

"I was able to convince this Sunset's geode to show me her memories." Sunset brought a hoof to her chest only to find nothing there. She looked around the room for a spot of orange that might have flown off when she arrived and found nothing. "They're, uh, sort of that world's Elements of Harmony—"

"Twilight has told me of them, yes. You have yet to convince me you aren't the one who so abused my trust."

Sunset grimaced. "I may not like that part of myself, but I still deceived everyone I knew for years. If I were lying to you, I'd tell you something much more believable."

"You will forgive me if your legacy as a scoundrel doesn't make me trust you more now," Star Swirl said as he rolled his eyes.

Sunset quirked an eyebrow. "All right." She stepped closer to Twilight, leaned in, and whispered something into her ear.

Twilight jumped back like she'd been stung by a wasp. "I never told you that! I never told anypony that!"

"You never told your Sunset. The Princess Twilight I knew told me after... Well, it's complicated. Believe me now?"

Twilight nodded hard enough to make her mane flop about. "Absolutely. Please don't supply any more proof."

"Hmph." Star Swirl still glared at Sunset. "Very well then, I will entertain this farce out of respect for Princess Twilight. What was this single wish?"

"That, for once in her life, Sunset could be the one to get supreme power." Twilight gasped. "And apparently that meant the Sunset who was using that power had to go somewhere." Sunset held out a hoof to Star Swirl. "I need to get back to my body so I can make sure my universe doesn't disintegrate, and you need to get the other Sunset back so you can tell her off. Let's work together."

"Hmm..." Star Swirl's expression softened. His gaze trailed off into the middle distance as he stroked his beard. "It is unprecedented, but the power of six petals brought together could certainly pierce the veil between worlds, much less displace two souls. But a single swap like that would take decades to erode the boundary between the worlds. Why would your entire universe be at risk so soon?"

"When I say supreme power, I don't mean political. I became my human world's Spirit of Harmony after magic almost tore the world apart, and I've worked to pull it back from the brink ever since." Sunset waved her still-extended foreleg. "Also you're leaving me hanging here."

"Ah, yes." Star Swirl bumped the offered hoof. "The course of action is clear. We must set things right, so that you may preserve your home and your counterpart faces a suitable punishment for her misdeeds."

Sunset raised an eyebrow. "And what about you dangling the thing that let her commit those misdeeds in front of her face before leaving her with it unsupervised?"

Star Swirl cleared his throat. "I... suppose I still have much to learn in the ways of friendship."

"Yes. Yes, you do. But speaking from experience, learning that you're capable of making mistakes is an important early step. Now, let's..." The sentence died in Sunset's throat when she turned to Twilight. "Uh, Twilight? You okay?"

She didn't look okay. Her wings drooped to the ground, and her ears and head were doing their best to follow suit. "I had no idea Sunset felt that way," said Twilight. "Looking back on yesterday..." She sniffled and shook her head. "How could I have missed this?"

Sunset moved next to her and gave her a friendly nuzzle. "Hey, it's not your fault. She didn't tell anyone, on either side of the mirror. She could barely admit it to herself under the wishblossom's influence." Sunset sighed. "I can only imagine what she's doing now. Maybe if we consult with the Tree of Harmony, I can—"

She felt Twilight flinch at the mention of the Tree. "Um, about that..."


The Punch Bowl comprised half of Discord's list of hot Ponyville party spots, but it wasn't exactly hopping before noon. Still, half-price wassail had a way of attracting ponies who'd normally never set hoof inside the bar before sundown.

"It's almost too quiet these days," Junebug said to Berry Punch between sips of bargain brew.

Berry shrugged, wiping down the counter in the way of bartenders across the multiverse. "Not really a bad thing if you ask me."

"I guess." Junebug gave a forlorn sigh that would work a lot better if she were actually drunk. "But it feels like Twilight took all the excitement with her when she moved back to Canterlot."

Berry snorted. "Starlight still lives in the castle, and now Trixie does too. We've still got plenty of excitement. Besides, it's always been a little dull between Hearth's Warming and Winter Wrap-Up."

"I suppose. But—"

An almost physical wave of sound came from the direction of the Palace-Tree, rattling the windows and shaking dust from the rafters. Only in the echoes did the mares register the words "Sombra what!?"

"See that?" Berry said as she started wiping off the fresh dust. "There's still plenty of life in Ponyville."


Twilight managed to look even sadder, mostly through tears in her eyes. "I... didn't want to write about it in the journal. Writing made it feel too real."

Guilt stifled Sunset's first response. She wasn't used to other ponies anymore; she felt like she'd kicked a puppy. A puppy who was also her girlfriend. After a deep breath, she managed, "Okay. So. The Tree of Harmony got shattered into a million pieces. Fine, then. Plan B." She marched out of the portal library, glaring ahead and daring something to stand in her way.

"Sunset!" Twilight called after her. "Where are you going?"

"Plan. B."

A bleary-eyed pony Trixie stuck her head out of one of the rooms. "Who set off Big Bertha? I didn't think I'd even put a fuse in her."

It took most of Sunset's self-restraint to weave around her. "Plan B!"

From behind, she barely made out "Sunburst isn't even here this week."

Once Sunset reached the map room, she magically threw open the doors, stomped to the table itself, reared up, and slammed her forehooves onto it. "Okay, Junior. We have a situation and your mom isn't available. We need an alternative. What have you got for us?"

"Who are you talking to?" Twilight said from behind her.

Sunset didn't even glance away from the inactive Cutie Map. "Your castle. What did you think was guiding you through this thing?"

"Sunset, that's absurd. The castle isn't—" The Map activated, and Sunset felt her coat tingle with harmonious magic. "What!?" cried Twilight.

Copies of Sunset, Twilight, and Star Swirl's marks floated off of their flanks and orbited a point in the Everfree Forest. A very familiar point.

Sunset finally turned to Twilight. "I thought you said the Tree had been destroyed."

"I... You... This..." Twilight shook herself out of her sputtering and snarled at the Map. "Begged you. I begged you for a mission for moons! And then you sent me to the back end of nowhere!"

"Twilight, you can yell at your house later."

"It's not even my house anymore!" Twilight began stomping around the Map, spouting assorted half-words and other irritated noises as her horn sparked in agitation.

Sunset shuddered at a sudden attack of perspective and turned to Star Swirl. "Was this what I was like a couple minutes ago?"

He shrugged. "Thereabouts. Hardly my first brush with a brilliant mind driven past the point of coherence."

Twilight completed a circuit around the table and cried, "Why am I only learning this after I moved out!?"

"You didn't ask," Sunset deadpanned. "Why is it sending us to the Castle of the Two Sisters?"

"Oh, that. Well..."


"Your students WHAT!?"

Berry Punch smirked. Junebug just rolled her eyes. "All right, all right, you've made your point."

"More wassail?"

"Please."


After a few more deep breaths and thoughts of the cautionary tale that was Twilight's behavior, Sunset ground out, "Okay. So. A bunch of kids made a clubhouse out of the Tree's corpse and that somehow got it to rejuvenate and take over the castle ruins. Sure. Fine. Completely logical. Anything happen to it after that?"

Twilight shook her head. "Not that I'm aware of."

"Great. Then let's go check it out." Sunset pointed at the still-circling cutie marks with perhaps more force than was strictly necessary. "Clearly there's something we can do once we're there."

Star Swirl raised an eyebrow as they left the room. "For a Spirit of Harmony, you are rather intemperate."

"I usually struggle against a constant urge to be calm and collected, so I'm overcompensating right now. Also trying to process the Tree of fizzling Harmony getting cheap shotted and coming back through postmortem desecration. That may take me a while."

That actually got a smile out of the stallion, or at least the suggestion of one behind the beard. "It took me some time to adjust to that revelation as well. Those six are an... interesting group. Perhaps even more so than Princess Twilight and her friends."

"Huh." Sunset thought about that. "Huh. Kind of want to meet them myself, but I do need to get back home as soon as possible."

"Couldn't you visit them in your Equestria?" said Twilight.

"You're kind of ahead of us. The changelings reformed barely a month ago."

Star Swirl glowered at that. Before he could say anything, a pegasus guard charged through the doors of the castle. "Princess Twilight! You're needed in Canterlot!"

She shook her head. "Multiversal emergency! I declare Councilors Applejack and Fluttershy co-regents until I can return to the throne. And the answer to any and all marriage proposals is no, but save the contact information of anypony who scores an eight or higher with me in the Cadenza Compatibility Matrix."

"Understood, Your Highness!" The guard saluted and turned on a dime, streaking towards the horizon.

"You've gotten good at this," said Sunset.

Twilight shrugged her wings. "It turns out ninety percent of leadership is just sounding confident."

"Yeah, sounds about right."

"At barest minimum," added Star Swirl.

"Any reason you didn't just move the capital to Ponyville?"

Twilight shook her head. "We were already changing national leaders for the first time in over a millennium. If I tried changing the capital city on top of that, ponies would riot in the streets." She gave a wry grin. "Besides, I like Ponyville. I'm not going to tip over Canterlot and dump all the politics onto this town."

"Fair. Let's roohhh Celestia that's cold!" The moment Sunset passed through the palace doors, she froze on the spot. Not literally, but it certainly felt that way. Winter in Ponyville was a lot more picturesque than human Canterlot; no blackened road slush, no dull grey skies, just artfully piled snowdrifts that sparkled like heaps of diamonds in the sun. But it was also much colder.

Sunset made a stiff, shivering turn and staggered back inside the lovely, magically heated castle. "Coat. Earmuffs. Possibly pants. Then let's roll."


The gallop through the Everfree was astonishingly uneventful. Sunset had read about the ancient forest, heard about the countless perils within. But now the path was clear and the woods looked about as dangerous as the human-world national park that shared their name. Even the wild weather was warmer than in Ponyville, making Sunset actually feel more welcome here.

"Nice place. Apparently."

Star Swirl nodded. "The imbalance is slowly healing after all these years."

"And most of the monsters are hibernating," added Twilight.

"There is that, yes."

"So," said Sunset, "back to business. I have an idea about how I can get to my world, but it's a long shot. Anypony else?"

"Well, we do have the creator of the original mirror portal with us."

"I made many more portals beyond the one in the castle. Most were destroyed shortly before my exile in Limbo, but I have not forgotten the art." Star Swirl scowled. "However, without a specific planar frequency to attune the gateway, there is no telling what world it will connect to."

Sunset could tell where this was going. "Let me guess. We need something from that world to get the frequency."

"Precisely."

"Fantastic. Well, it's definitely a plan. Keep thinking... about..." The trees ahead cleared, and Sunset's jaw dropped.

If the forest had been bizarre, the castle was downright surreal. It definitely seemed related to the Ponyville castle, but with actual foliage. It had more organic curves and fewer harsh angles than either the castle or the Tree of Harmony as Sunset had last seen it. And also a lot of balconies, looping staircases, and variously shaped windows.

Oh, and it had settled on the foundations of one of Equestria's oldest historical landmarks and had apparently eaten most of the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters. Couldn't forget that part.

After a few moments of staring, Sunset got out, "I am... really not sure how to feel about this."

"I'm still not used to it myself," said Twilight.

Star Swirl shrugged. "I am simply grateful that I had to hold back the Everfree for only a single week."

Sunset shook off her awe and made for the bridge. "Well, come on. Not sure what we'll find, but it's bound to be useful."

The inner courtyard wasn't any less disconcerting. The transition from ancient stone to freshly reincarnated harmony crystal was about as smooth as going from Namepending Castle to Twilight's front lawn. But Sunset recognized the tranquil energies wafting off of the structure.

She brought a hoof to a crystal wall. It was warm, and pulsed warmer at the contact. "Are you there, Harmony? It's me, Sunset."

A duplicate of Twilight manifested in front of the treehouse's front doors like a low-budget sci-fi hologram. "Hello, Sunset Shimmer."

Twilight made a sound like she was swallowing her own tongue. Star Swirl gave a thoughtful hum. Sunset just blinked and said, "Oh. Huh. You're... not who I was expecting."

"You were expecting this?" cried Twilight.

"Not you. The one I talked to was... well, taller. With a horn like a tree branch. Also a tree, a human, and a couple thousand other things at the same time." Sunset bobbed her head from side to side. "You kind of had to be there."

"I am a relatively young Spirit of Harmony," said the sparkling Twilight. "I am still learning how to interact in linear time. I chose this form because it was familiar to those I first spoke to. I found it pleasing to maintain it."

Twilight shuddered. "Is anypony else uncomfortable? Because I'm uncomfortable."

"My heavens." Star Swirl approached the manifestation, eyes wide. He circled it, lips moving silently, before settling next to Sunset. "When we planted the seed, I never imagined it would develop into a thinking being."

Harmony's smile widened a fraction. "Hello, Father."

Star Swirl flinched back. "Father?" He stroked his beard for a few moments before nodding. "Yes, I suppose. In a sense. I knew you would be my greatest legacy, but a child?" He sighed. "I fear I have little to offer in that regard."

"I don't mean to be insensitive," said Sunset, "but you two can hash out your relationship later. We're kind of in the middle of something right now."

Star Swirl cleared his throat. "Yes. Of course."

Sunset turned to Harmony. "So, any idea why the Map sent us to you?"

"We may be relatively young and weak Spirits but we can recognize one of our own. Even one trapped in an unready body."

Sunset nodded. That was an unspoken question answered. "So that's a no on the wings."

"She is close to the next step," said Harmony, "but she is not yet ready, and she cannot become so while you inhabit her form. Even if she were, I am still healing from my disruption."

"Great. So now what?"

"I cannot uplift you. But I can contact my fellow Spirit." Harmony's horn glowed, followed by its—her?—entire body. Just before the light reached blinding intensity, it shot off into the sky.

After a few moments, Twilight coughed into a fetlock. "So, um, now what?"

"I think I know," said Sunset. "That went to my Equestria, right?"

Harmony shook her head.

Sunset waited for further explanation. When none came, she said, "What?"

"It would be less efficient to contact that Spirit when the one we need is closer to another." Harmony's eyes flashed from within. "She is on her way."

"'The one we need'?" said Twilight. "Who is it talking about?"

Sunset looked up and smiled. "The only person I know who can reach us on such short notice from pretty much anywhere."

For a moment, Sunset wasn't sure if she'd found what she'd been looking for or just a trick of the light. Then the speck in the sky came careening down in a streak of silver and gold, slamming into the courtyard and kicking up more dust than Sunset had thought was even there. When the cloud cleared, it revealed...

A human girl lying face down on the crystal flooring.

"Oof. Okay, I officially give up on making superhero landings work. Thank goodness for crash resistance."

Twilight's jaw hung open. "Is... Is that...?"

Sunset nodded. "It is."

The spirit manifested in front of the girl. "Hello, Ditzy Doo. Your Sunset is ahead on the right."

"Huh?" Ditzy looked up, locked an eye with Sunset, and beamed. "Oh! Great! Thanks, uh..." Her eyes went further askew when she turned to Harmony. "... Holographic Ghost of Princess Twilight from the Future."

Harmony smiled. "I am a treehouse."

"Uh..."

Sunset walked up to Ditzy and offered her a hoof. "It helps to remember that one of the Elements is Laughter."

"Does it?" Ditzy said as she pulled herself up.

"A little." Sunset took a deep breath and braced herself as best she could. "Okay, Ditzy, how bad is it?"

"On a scale from one to ten? We need you home yesterday."

Author's Note:

Several pantheons of gods lie in the corners of the Oversaturated World. Most of them want nothing to do with the peoples who've all but forgotten them. Zeus... Well, the good news is that he hadn't yet found anyone he wanted to "get to know" before Sunset laid down the law.

Sunset's usual body is exactly as warm as she wants it to be. If winter in an Information Age human city was bad, imagine one engineered by a bunch of birdhorses who live happily at an altitude of ten thousand feet.

Star Swirl's multitudinous magic mirrors are from the comics. Aside from the one that led to the world of Good King Sombra, the old castle used to have an entire gallery of them... until they were broken as collateral damage when an alternate universe Stygian abducted the young Celestia and Luna in an attempt to corrupt them and make them twin spearheads of his multiverse-conquering army.

Twilight never did get to meet the Tree's equine interface in canon. I imagine her reaction would be along these lines. The fascination and boatloads of questions would come after the intense discomfort, but we just don't have time for those right now.

And of course Best Human was going to show up. Was there ever any doubt? Here's some music for after the dust cloud clears.