• Published 6th Dec 2019
  • 1,754 Views, 171 Comments

In Place Of A Princess, You Shall Have A Queen! - Seahorn



An earth pony leaves Equestria and returns as a changeling queen. Can she change Equestria, or will it change her?

  • ...
7
 171
 1,754

Chapter 11: Operation Alicorn Sunset Part 1 - Reunions

5th of the third moon, 1551 A.E. 08:00 p.m. - Canterlot bound train from Manehatten

For every Changeling, a pony was either a source of food for the foragers, or a threat for the sentinels. For Chrysalis watching her old-time friend from afar, Cadance fit both categories perfectly. Simply standing near her was a feast, her delicious love for her would-be husband emanating off her in spades. Yet she was also a huge obstacle for her to conquer if she was to steal her groom, and eventually her nation, from her.

The screeching sound of the train steaming into a station broke her from her stupor, and she quickly scrambled to the window to see what station this was. Ponyville East, which meant that there was only a few stops left before Canterlot. The queen's words echoed in her ear. The hive is not my own, she reminded herself. If she was to win this gamble for the hive's future, she couldn't just sit there enjoying the feast that her enemy was providing.

As the train began to pull away from the station, she checked her disguise as a conductor, and approached Cadance's seat. "Excuse me, May I check your tickets, please?" she asked in a polite manner.

Cadance turned around, her fair complexion clearly visible now that she was closer. Chrysalis already knew that alicorns didn't age, but she couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealousy by the fact that Cadance looked exactly the same while she had 55 years of age behind her. "Yes, here you are," she replied with her soft voice.

Chrysalis didn't want to remember. She tried to drive the foolish thought from her mind. Yet her voice, her demeanor, her radiance, everything about this fully grown alicorn reminded her of the time they first met. The time when Cadance gave her a bottle of liquid love, accidentally intoxicating her. The time when she had kept her secret. The time when she could call her a 'friend'.

She pretended to check the ticket, as her disguise of a conductor should. She knew those days with the mare in front of her were long gone. Why was she thinking of this, at this crucial moment? After some time, she finally was able to carry on. "Princess Cadance, I am sorry to say this, but your ticket seems to have some anomalies. I will have to escort you to the locomotive for further inquiries," she said in a serious tone.

"If this isn't an urgent issue, may I ask of you to solve this issue on the spot?" inquired Cadance. Chrysalis sensed a little irritation being mixed in with her agitated love, presumably because she would be inevitably delayed when she was already so close to her reunion with her groom. However, for the operation to succeed, she had to drag her out of her seat.

"All trains have been ordered to search for anypony with princess Cadance's appearance and/or identity. Reports have come in saying that a wanted criminal is heading to Canterlot disguised as her. We'll run a magical scan at the locomotive, and if you are who you claim to be, you will be released in a jiffy," she said without relenting. It was a bit risky telling her the general outline of her plans, but if Cadance was scrying her with her magic (she was an alicorn, after all), telling the abject truth was the only way to avoid detection.

"Alright then," said Cadance, as she rose from her seat and began to follow the 'conductor'. As they walked through the corridors of the passanger cabins, she asked, "By the way, do you have any information about this 'Chrysalis'? As princess of Equestria, after I am absolved of my suspicions, I think I ought to know about this pony that is trying to impersonate me."

Chrysalis gulped, "We don't have much information," she replied. "All we know is that she is a master of disguise and trickery, and can somehow copy your appearance," she added. Cadance seemed to be shaken a little by this statement, but Chrysalis couldn't tell, as she only sighed and said, "Well noted."

When they entered the locomotive, Cadance entered first, and Chrysalis closed the door behind her. It was time to bring the first part of her plan into action. However, before she could even cast her spell, Cadance turned around, facing directly towards her. "Why did you bring me here?" she asked.

Trying not to panic, Chrysalis repeated what she had said earlier. "To check if you, by any chance, are the criminal that we were looking for."

Cadance's expression solidified into a frown. "No, not your facade. Your true motive. For what I am about to do now, I need you to tell the truth. You have lured me out here to harm me, haven't you?"

There was a long silence at the doorway. Chrysalis' brain was already hyperventilating, but her curiosity prevented the rest of her body from following suit. "How did you find out?" she asked in disbelief. "More importantly, If you knew already, then why did you 'fall' for my trap? If you had used your authority as princess to call for help, I would already be good as dead."

Cadance sighed, "Well, your facade as a conductor was impeccable, and it would have worked if I wasn't so intimate with love magic."

Chrysalis mentally cursed herself. Cadance had detected her the exact same way Pharynx did when he first met her at the heart of the everfree forest. The queen had said that changelings were ponies who were pushed over the 'edge' of loneliness, after all. "Let me guess. You could sense that I have no love unlike most ponies, so in your vision, I was like a very visible black hole completely surrounded by a shower of light. Am I correct?"

Cadance was taken aback by her aggressive attitude, but she had experience in this kind of behavior. "Well, quite the contrary. Ponies on this train have taken an overnight trip from Manehattan. They are exhausted, and their love doesn't emanate off very much. However, your love was very visible, yet it wasn't so comfortable... No. It was very ferocious, the kind of love that makes a pony do almost anything, even terrible things to keep their loved ones happy."

Ignoring Chrysalis' stunned expression, She went on, "Listen, I don't know your name, and I don't know your motive, but I do want to help you. I may be a princess, but I have worked as a sitter for a long time. I've seen families resort to thievery, robbery, and even murder to save their loved ones. I don't want another poor soul to follow the same path. Take my hoof, and let's go to Canterlot together." With those words, she extended her hoof, reaching out towards Chrysalis.

Chrysalis was simply astounded. She never could expect such mercy from her former queen. In every single way, Cadance didn't change at all, yet I'm unrecognizable.... she thought to herself. Unbeknownst to Cadance, however, she had a far greater mission that couldn't be done if she took her hoof. She had to avenge those who wronged her, and had to bring the hive a better future. In order to fulfill her mission, Cadance had to go, no matter how innocent or kind she was.

"I thank you for your kindness, your majesty. Maybe in a better world, we could have been friends," she lamented.
She fired up her horn, and green fire washed all over her. "But right now, I have much more than my family hanging on my shoulders."

Cadance was visibly shocked by the monstrosity that replaced the conductor, but her years of princess training kicked in. "Now, I suppose I know your name. If this is what you wish, 'Chrysalis', than I will not back down," she said in a stern tone as she lit up her horn, as well.


The duel ended fairly quickly. Chrysalis had to admit, Cadance had been trained well as a princess. Unfortunately for her, however, Chrysalis could predict all her moves and magical attacks (Celestia had taught her practically the exact same things, albeit with her magic-charged prosthetics). That and she didn't have the wartime hand-to-hand combat experience that Chrysalis accumulated over three decades of her military career.

Now that she was safe from getting caught, she began studying her prisoner from muzzle to tail, memorizing every detail. After a flash of a green flame, she was indistinguishable from the princess she just subdued. It was time for the next step.

Looking at the unconscious form of her old friend, however, she realized that some adjustments had to be made for the original plan. She had planned to lure her out, silently assassinate her, and burn the body to conceal any evidence. That way, even if other ponies were suspicious of her 'memory elapses' and 'personality changes', they couldn't find any clue. It was the perfect crime, and a safe way to extend her influence over the Equestrian royal court, promising a bright future for her species.

She knew it was an especially bad idea to let Cadance live, since she had discovered her secret identity from the get-go. Whenever she tried to kill her, however, she couldn't erase the taste of Cadance's love from her mind. It came with a soft, succulent flavor without being too rich.

Most importantly, with the pleasant sensation came even more memories. Memories from her disastrous first day of school, Cadance reaching out with her hoof to grab her, all their fun adventures, and their hurtful last goodbye. Such memories were indeed tasty for a changeling's appetite, but there was something more to them. They were filling, and they brought genuine happiness, a feeling that she only shared with her brothers in short moments. She wanted more. Needed more.

And so she merely cocooned her up, and hid her in a large suitcase. She would survive, since the changeling goo inside the cocoon would provide necessary oxygen and nutrients. This would only be a minor alteration. Chrysalis still remembered that she had seven hundred thousand changelings to save. She walked up to the 'train driver', and whispered.

"Alert the hive. Phase two of operation Alicorn Sunset begins."


5th of the third moon, 1551 A.E. 09:30 p.m. - Canterlot Central station

The train made a horrible screeching sound of metal hitting brakes as it pulled into Canterlot Central. Chrysalis was appalled by the fact that they made so little progress after her prototype that they never even bothered to dampen the sound. She made herself a mental note to improve that as the first thing to do after the changelings all got settled in.

Once the train had fully stopped, she scanned the platform for any ponies that might have been waiting for her. After cocooning Cadance, she returned to Cadance's seat and ran through her belongings to find any information about her relationships. Although she had memorized quite a few by now, she still didn't know the faces of those who might come out to greet her.

Fortunately for Chrysalis, she didn't have to worry, because the face that came to greet her was one that she would never forget in a million years. Unfortunately, however, it was the face of the one pony she absolutely knew would crush her flat if she was ever discovered.

Princess Celestia was in a more casual uniform than usual, as her golden crown and sandals weren't there. Yet she could still be identified from a mile away by her sheer size and majesty. She was the living embodiment of Equestria's ideal of peace and harmony, as well as the heart of its power and willingness to protect it. As a little filly, such power was the source of great comfort, as a strong shield to protect her from this cruel world. As queen of the changeling race, it felt like she was pushing up against a mountain.

But as Chrysalis stepped out of the train and onto the platform, pressure gave way to surprise by Celestia's welcoming smile and warm embrace. During her training as a princess, whenever Pillar was hurt by public outrage and harsh words, Celestia would soothe her with a hug before talking her out of her bad mood. Even as Chrysalis, a 50-year old changeling queen of iron, it felt like something was tightening in her heart. The fact that this hug was for someone else that she had replaced didn't help matters.

Celestia's enthusiastic high-tone tore her from her brooding. "Cadance, it's so good to see you again! It's a real shame you couldn't come sooner. I didn't tell Shining that you're coming today, so he'll be surprised when you get to your house!"

Wanting to get through this as quickly as possible, Chrysalis replied, "Of course, princess Celestia. Now I'm really tired after the overnight trip, though. Can we speak as we get there?"

Celestia gave her a funny look, and she began to laugh. "Of course, princess Cadance. Seriously, not even you! Twilight calls me by that name every day even when I tell her to just go by my name. You must be really tired when you're sounding like her. Come, let's get out of the station."

Chrysalis was shaking internally as she followed Celestia out into her carriage. If I keep doing this, I just might be able to get myself killed before I even brainwash the captain.

Once they were firmly seated in the carriage, it began to move, leaving both mares in the carriage to talk freely. Celestia offered some small talk, such as the wonderfulness of such a marriage happening right near her, or the reasons why age difference doesn't matter. Chrysalis simply nodded and laughed during the conversation. In truth, she was scared to death that she would get caught by getting details wrong. Also, she had something very important to ask of her.

As they were nearing the house, Chrysalis spoke up. "Celestia, while I was coming here, some ponies from the countryside petitioned me to let this wedding be an event for all of Equestria, and to not only invite selective members of society. I thought it was a great idea, but I'm afraid that it will be a much more crowded event than usual."

Celestia was ecstatic. "Of course! That means we'll have to prepare a big party with food for everyone, and I think the bearers of the elements would be the best bet."

"Who are these 'bearers of the elements'?" asked Chrysalis, realizing her mistake a moment too late.

"Twilight sparkle and her friends, you silly. Don't you remember? They brought back Luna from Nightmare moon a while ago, at the Summer Sun Celebration."

"Oh, they were the ones that brought her back?" Now she remembered reading the pony newspaper brought by one of the foragers, being shocked by the fact that Celestia had a sister, and slightly offended that Celestia hadn't told her that fact when she was still Cater Pillar. She didn't recall who exactly brought them back, however.

But realization gave way to worry as she thought about what that meant. These 'bearers', one of whom included the princess's personal student, had stood their ground against an alicorn, and won. Her likelihood of dying when she got discovered just increased by at least twenty percent.

Just what had she gotten herself into?

Author's Note:

Plot summary: Chrysalis tries to break away from her past, but is stranded alone among the ponies she shared it with.

So here it is, after two long weeks of scrapping and rewriting, the final version of Chrysalis' reunion with Cadance. I must say, this chapter was a pain to write, because I couldn't quite grasp how the dynamic would work. Even now, after a complete rewrite and one moving-of-the-house later, I still don't think I'm completely satisfied.

P.S. Changelings can sense love and emotions very keenly, but one place they can't sense is how much love they have inside.

P.P.S. Also, I think I have implied pretty obviously in the story, but the train driver is also a changeling. He's quite good at it, considering that he has learned directly from its inventor...

P.P.P.S. Chrysalis is not as powerful as you thought... But she is daring.