• Published 6th Dec 2019
  • 1,744 Views, 171 Comments

In Place Of A Princess, You Shall Have A Queen! - Seahorn



An earth pony leaves Equestria and returns as a changeling queen. Can she change Equestria, or will it change her?

  • ...
7
 171
 1,744

Chapter 2: Intoxication

2nd of the third moon, 1503. A.E. (After Equestria)

Pillar was standing at the front of a large classroom, silently contemplating her situation in the most visible position right in the middle of the small podium in front of the chalkboard.

"Good to see you, class! How is everyone after winter vacation?" The teacher, High Rise, began with his usual enthusiasm.

"Good to see you again, Mr. Rise!" called the children in unison.

"I'm glad to hear everyone's alive and well, the pox this winter has been particularly bad." He gave an uneasy chuckle. "However, I have some more good news for everyone! Class, This is our new student, Cater Pillar! Give her a warm welcome!"

All she received was dead silence. Pillar could read that most of the foals and fillies were wide-eyed in shock, some even displaying a hint of anger within their eyes. Worst of all, she knew why she was such a problem. She was an earth pony in school within scores of unicorns, and they weren't taking it well at all. Pillar silently thanked the school uniform that it concealed her lack of a cutie mark. Contrary to Celestia's reassurance, she had internally accepted the fact that it would be a miracle if the class didn't bully her outright from her position as the new, blank-flanked, earth pony filly in town.

Still, this level of silence was nerve-wracking. So much so that the teacher himself had to break it with another uneasy chuckle. "Class? I think I said a 'warm' welcome..."

Though it was awkward, most of the foals and fillies began to clap, some even putting on a small smile, if nothing just to be polite. Others, however, kept up that icy, cold glare which Pillar couldn't shake off her mind.

Mr. Rise continued on regardless. "Pillar, let's see.... I think that empty seat in the middle should be fine for you today. If you like it you can stay there, and if you don't you can come to the teachers' office and ask me at the table, and I should change it up."

Pillar simply nodded, her anxiety slowly giving way to grim resignation as she slowly headed towards the seat in the middle aisle. Celestia was completely wrong, she cursed to herself, Screw the magic of friendship, Screw class, Screw Canterlot...

The rest of the morning call was made without much incident, with Mr. Rise explaining to the class what they were learning in third grade, and handing out textbooks accordingly. After it was over and the ten-minute morning recess began, the fillies and foals began to chat and whisper amongst each other, occasionally throwing Pillar dirty looks. Pillar slumped on her new desk, ready to spend her first day of school in a foul mood.

Yet, a nosy hoof in her side wouldn't let her sulk, and she turned towards the pony sitting next to her. She put on her best I-Dont-Want-Anything-To-Do-With-You face, but she could only drop it when she saw her intruder's disposition. She was a pink unicorn, with a brilliant mane that was mixed lavender, pink and vanilla. Next to pillar's scrawny black mane, she possibly looked as radiant as Celestia herself. Most surprising of all, she had a smile that was equally bright, and it was directed entirely at Pillar. "Drink this, it'll help you feel better,"she offered, holding a white paper cup in her hand. Even her voice sounded kind and gentle. Strange. It seemed like she had heard this voice some time ago...

Pillar said her thanks, and looked at the liquid. It was probably wise to say no. She didn't know this filly, and judging by the reactions of her classmates when she first met them, this could easily be a nasty prank that was designed to ridicule her. Her bright smile could be nothing more than a really good facade, morphing into an evil cackle at the flash of a flame.

However, there was something about this filly that made put all of these doubts to shame. Something that was comforting to her, washing away all the hatred and neglect she had received mere minutes ago. Whether it was her smile, looks, words, or voice, Pillar didn't know, but she had to try. She picked up the bottle and gulped it down.

It was a sensation unlike any other. At first, it was no more than her body unwinding, feeling a little more peaceful and at ease. Then, her pupils began to dilate, and a little smile began to form on the edge of her muzzle. The smile soon escalated into giggles, and uncontrollable laughter. All the other foals and fillies were staring at her, but she didn't care. She was too happy to care. Was this the 'Magic of Friendship' that Celestia was so eager about? If it was, then Celestia was absolutely right. It was empowering, sensational, and perhaps a little.... intoxicating.

She finally recognized the empty void that had been inside her, the void that had been growing ever since her parents passed from this world. A void that couldn't be filled, even with all the kindness and grace of Celestia. Now the void was filling up with this 'Magic of Friendship', she couldn't control herself. She wanted more. Needed more. To get more of this, she had to make friends, right? And with this new sense of empowerment, it could be done with greater ease. Of course, she first had to thank the pony who had shown her this wonderful magic. "Thanks a lot! What is this thing? I love it already!"

"Oh, you said it already. This is made with love!" The pink pony replied, beaming.

"This is so awesome. Hello everypony! You might have heard the teacher call my name, but let me properly introduce myself. My name's Cater Pillar! I'm here to be your...friend ...so ...that ...I .....can .......be ........dizzy?"

With those words, she fell down onto the floor, unconscious.


When Pillar woke up, she was lying on a cot with railings, her back head against a soft pillow. The pink pony was sitting on a chair next to her cot, watching on with worried eyes. She sat up, ready to throw some angry words at the pony, who certainly played a nasty prank on her and made her a fool in front of the entire class. If she were to survive at this new, unforgiving school, she would have to learn how to stand her ground....

Yet Pillar's strong resolve to dish out some mean words for this pony began to falter when she saw the pink pony's face. She wasn't sneering or laughing, but she was beginning to tear up.

"Oh I'm so sorry... I didn't think it would work so potently! I...I just saw you with a sad face after my classmates didn't welcome you, and I thought I could help with what I use to help myself when I get scared or depressed. The formula worked for me every time, but I guess it differs for every pony." She began to sniffle, and Pillar struggled to keep herself from telling her that it was okay. If she was playing a prank, she was being a convincing actress.

"I-I know this doesn't help much, but I am really sorry for ruining your first day at school. I g-guess you don't want to see me any more. I'll leave you alone," she turned and began walking towards the infirmary door.

"Wait!" Pillar called out, not knowing what she was doing. "It's fine, really. Sure, tone it down the next time you use it, but the feeling... it wasn't at all bad."

The pony turned around, with a small smile on her face, "I-It wasn't?"

Pillar nodded, "Yeah, one second, I'm all weary and sad, and another, Boom. I can make friends with everyone. Hay, I see why you use it so often, that thing's a lifesaver. What's in that, anyway? Is it the 'Magic of Friendship'?"

"Um, no. It is made out of love," she replied, matter-of-factly.

"LOVE? How- Well, I guess that does make sense. Friendship is a magic of its own, so love could probably be as well, but how the hay do you make it into liquid?" Her curiosity was brought back, and she now all but forgot the fact that she wanted to chastise the pony in front of her one minute ago. She seemed to pay no mind, however, as her smile became a little wider.

"Well, my special talent is making love magic, but it's kinda finnicky and unstable at times. But one day I discovered that I could use it to enchant things. So, I made a bottle whenever I had more than enough love magic to spare, and used it when I was feeling kinda down. The amount that you were given is usually perfect for a pony our size."

Her expression changed to a slight frown, but she carried on. "In you, however, I could barely sense any love. I had never seen a pony so devoid of love before. That's probably why you reacted so strongly to the potion. Pillar, I would hate to bring out some bad memories, but... are you okay?"

Pillar flinched a little. She still couldn't trust the filly completely. She might still make fun of her, torment her if she revealed her greatest secret. Yet if her talent was indeed one of love magic, then she could be the only one that could save her from this prison of torment. After a long pause, she decided to take the plunge. "It all started about five years ago, when my parents had me before they were married..." She told the filly the same tale that she told Celestia, along with its tragic ending. All the while, she was silently praying that this wasn't a horrible mistake.

The pink pony sat in shock for a while, then suddenly pulled Pillar into a tight embrace. "I-I'm sorry Pillar, it must have been painful to recall, Back then, I really, really should have-" She was cut off by Pillar, who put a hoof above her face as she sighed, "That's okay. It didn't take a special talent to find out that I was sad and afraid, but you're the only one who even cared... it's the least I can do to thank you. But... can I ask you one more thing?" The filly slowly nodded yes.

Pillar thought, now or never. "Can you be my friend?"

The filly hesitated, "Are you sure? I mean, sure, I didn't mean it, but I...I kind of did make you look bad in front of the whole class..."

Pillar snorted. "Of course. Around you, I feel as if I'm being filled up, from a hole I've been in since my parents passed away. But more importantly, you seem like a good pony to be a friend. By the way, what's your name?"

"Oh, right. I should have told you way earlier, I'm sorry." The unicorn winced, "You know, my name is a bit weird, it's called Mi Amore Cadenza. It has something to do with my special talent of love magic. Everypony outside my family just call me Cady, but I don't really like it that much. Everybody has such good names, like Mr. High rise, Ms. Morning rain, and so on. Why do I have to be 'Cady'? I mean, sure, it's a good nickname, but can't I have an actual name like anyone else?"

Pillar giggled slightly at her ranting. "Well, I suppose we can just make a middle version, then. Hmm, Cadensus? No, too masculine. Cadenicia? Doesn't roll off the tongue. Cadance? Hey, how about Cadance?

The unicorn also began to giggle, she liked the name, and was beginning to like this strange earth pony, as well. "I'd like that, thank you."

Pillar smiled, as she began to enjoy the Magic of Friendship surrounding them. It wasn't as intoxicating or as addictive as love, but it was no less filling. "Well then, Cadance, will you be my friend?"

"Sure, why not?"

Author's Note:

Chapter summary: Cadance accidentally begins to fuel the love addiction of her would-be worst enemy, but she got her name out of it, so I guess it's fine.

Also, I found out that in the official chapterbook, <Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell>, Cadance is found out to be an orphan pegasus herself, being raised by Celestia and becoming an alicorn princess. Since I do have an Alternate Universe tag anyway, I think it won't hurt too much to have a different background for Cadance in my story. But yes, this story will deviate from canon in some parts.