• Published 6th Dec 2019
  • 1,754 Views, 171 Comments

In Place Of A Princess, You Shall Have A Queen! - Seahorn



An earth pony leaves Equestria and returns as a changeling queen. Can she change Equestria, or will it change her?

  • ...
7
 171
 1,754

Chapter 15: Darkest night before dawn

13th of the third moon, 1551 A.E. (After Equestria) - 08:00 p.m., Ponyville Square

She could only watch on from her house window as the sun refused to fall, as the proud Equestrian flag fell and the strange flag with a black crown went up, as the ponies hurried to their homes away from the strict curfew that was enforced by the changelings.

So it was naturally a surprise the next evening when there was no sentinel guarding her house door, and again when the sun actually began to go down. She raced down to the town square, eager to find out that by some miracle, the princesses had returned and she could meet her friends again.

Rarity arrived just in time to hear a voice being broadcasted via the only loudspeaker that was in the town. The ponies gathered around were looking devastated, some even crying their eyes out.

"...In my long reign over this nation, never have I thought that this solemn and awful duty would one day fall to Luna and myself."

She felt an ice hammer slam onto her muzzle. She knew that voice. It was a voice nopony in Equestria would ever forget. Yet it didn't have the vigor and clarity that she remembered. Only a deep, profound sorrow that seemed to echo within everypony's minds.

"What is Princess Celestia talking about?" She asked the elderly pegasus next to her, but he just turned away and began to weep.

"Yet, in the current occupied situation of Equestria, Both of us have come to the conclusion that it is neither desirable nor possible to keep the current conflict ongoing. The head of the invading changelings, named Chrysalis, has proposed a peace treaty where she promised safety and property protection for all of my little ponies. A treaty that will be supervised and enforced by both me and Luna."

Now Rarity finally understood what was happening. At the same time, she still didn't want to believe a single word.

"In return, from this point onwards, Changelings are legally allowed to live alongside all pony settlements, and their sustenance is to be provided by the pony populace. It is apparent that these creatures are dependent on love magic for survival, and from firsthand experience, the process of extraction is not permanently harmful to the body in any way that I currently know of."

"Also, We had to nominate the invader to the position of chancellor as part of the treaty, so We issue a word of caution for those coming to the morning court of tomorrow, to not act provoked in any way, shape, or form. Although safety for all ponies and changelings is clearly specified in the treaty, we want to avoid potential casualties at all cost."

As Rarity could only watch on with dismay, Princess Luna's voice came onto the speaker.

"And lastly... Celestia and us accept all blame and responsibility for this catastrophe, and profoundly apologize for failing to adhere to our holy duties as the prime protectors of this realm. We have failed you, my little ponies... and we have no right to ask anything more of you."

"Yet, with a heavy heart we have to urge all of our little ponies to keep calm, and carry on with your lives and duties. Our lands might be occupied, yet with our unbreakable spirit, we sincerely believe that ponykind will once more be able to stand strong, and weather these difficult times."

"For the last time, We are truly sorry, everypony."

No more sounds exited from the speaker. A dark, heavy shroud of mourning silence washed over the crowd gathered at the square. Rarity was no exception. With that message, her brain finally began to fully process the depth and severity of the current situation.

The princesses, who saved the realm multiple times from disaster, couldn't win. The elements of harmony, the only things that managed to overpower and rehabilitate one of said princesses, betrayed Equestria. There was no chance in Tartarus that an average pony such as herself could defeat such a force greater or equal to that of the princesses, especially without the elements.

Yet she had to try. Through clenched teeth, she began to write a note for all of her friends to receive, an activity which was usually designated to the now-absent Twilight Sparkle. Since Spike was imprisoned with her, she could only hope to drop the notes off in front of each mare's house.

Midnight, barnyard of Sweet Apple Acres. We have to talk.


13th of the third moon, 1551 A.E. (After Equestria) - 12:00 p.m., Sweet Apple Acres

"Apologies and thanks, Applejack, for letting us in this late. We needed a secluded spot away from the town center."

She only smirked and waved a hoof in response to Rarity's remark.

"Nuff said, sugarcube. On a normal day I don't like guests at such a late hour, but I suppose today's anythin' but normal..."

With Applejack's sorrowful remark, a blanket of silence covered them all as they sat in front of the fire. The crackling sound of burning wood was the only thing giving them shelter from a cold, rainy night.

"Well what are we waiting for! Since there are no sentinels watching over us, I say we storm Canterlot and pull that invader off her throne!"

Rarity sadly shook her head.

"The changelings released us because they know it's already too late for that. Their armies are now in every single city and town in Equestria. Even if we manage to defeat Chrysalis, it will only cause more war and bloodshed for ponies and changelings alike."

After a few seconds of an intense glare, Rainbow sighed and folded her wings, leaning back against the barn wall.

"I suppose you're right about that... Come on, everypony. isn't there another way?"

"I just wish we had listened to Twilight.... She was the first and only one to realize something was truly wrong, and now she's the only one suffering in prison."

Nopony said a word to Fluttershy's gentle yet painful revelation, as all five of them only looked into the crackling firewood below. After some time, Applejack was the first to yield.

"You're... right, sugarcube. At the time, I only thought that she was back at it again with her... antics. But truthfully, I think I was just afraid. I wanted the wedding to be perfect, to prove my worth to all the ponies of the realm, and I was afraid that Twi would ruin the whole damn thing."

Applejack turned away from the fire, but her raspy voice gave her feelings away.

"No... even that doesn't do it justice. I was ASHAMED at her. Ashamed because Twilight would make us look bad in front of the would-be bride. Ashamed because she would ruin the chance for our apples to finally shine in the spotlight. Ashamed... of my own... damn... friend, and I can't even make it up to her anymore!"

She finally collapsed into an orange heap in front of the fire, no longer able to hold back her tears. Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie and Rainbow all joined her, the supposedly-quiet midnight meeting becoming a wailing huddle of pent-up emotions.

"You're completely right, Applejack, except for only one thing," said Rainbow, as she wiped her eyes and stood up defiantly from the mess.

"We can still make it up to her, but only if we fight. As Rarity said, we might not be able to storm the castle this second, but we'll have to fight on. For Twi's sake, if not our own!"

Rarity stood up beside her.

"That's the spirit, darling! Everypony, let's think about it. What would have Twi done in this situation?"

Pinkie shot up her left front hoof, her mane somehow poofing back up in an instant.

"I know! I know! She would have dived into her books trying to learn about the changelings! IF that didn't work, she would follow their trail like a super adventure pony and find out about them herself!"

"Oh, so no direct fighting yet?" said Fluttershy, perking up just a bit.

"Precisely!" squealed Pinkie, an evil smile flashing across her face. "I could even throw a party for the changelings, and when I am done making 'friends' with them, their secrets will all be mine!"

The rest of the crew wisely decided not to question what her methods were going to be, but only vigorously nodded their heads in acceptance. Even Rainbow dash relented, sighing at the ground.

"I guess that is the smart call... but I kind of wanted to kick their flanks soon instead of snooping around."

A deep, booming female voice came from the darkness, seemingly heeding Rainbow's call. "To snoop around means to keep your voice down, with your volume right now you are waking up the whole town."

The five mares all jumped to their hooves, Rainbow dash taking to the air.

"Relax, for I am only here, to lend you an ear.... and a hoof," said the voice as it scrambled out of the hay bales, revealing clear black and white stripes on her body.

Realizing who the figure was, everypony went in for a massive tackle-hug combination.

"Zecora!"

Author's Note:

Hello readers! I...don't know what to say. Just busy with some personal matters, I suppose. But now I finally found the time again to write some more, and although I am afraid infrequent uploads are going to continue, I hope to continue this story still.

Stay safe everyone!