• Published 24th Jan 2021
  • 3,807 Views, 371 Comments

Renegade - Slendy



Equestria welcomes a new stranger, though 'welcome' is a strong term. But it's not like they gave them much of a choice. That was fine, neither will she. The Mercenary W will prove them wrong.

  • ...
21
 371
 3,807

0-9 Do What I told Ya

Nightfall was encroaching fast across the wilderness of Equestria. The bank of a river steadily flowed not far from the rocky terrain that began to rise, reaching toward the rich mountains filled with precious stones and crystals, Rambling Rock Ridge. It bordered the very last tress of the Everfree not too far away. However, surprisingly for the desolate region, a fire steadily flickered among some of the boulders, two shadows sitting by the fire.

"A human...?" The figure murmured, taken back by the strange woman with white hair that they could easily mistake as the moonlight. Slowly, they slipped back behind the rocks before neither noticed the eyes watching them omnivorously.


"-I think I can see your aura better," Astra added, squinting so tightly W almost mistook her for trying to set the Sarkaz on fire. "Like... um, it's red but I can see other stuff too."

"My emotions I'm guessing?" W surmised, turning the fish she caught around on its stick to cook it evenly. "Yeah, Seers typically have this strange ability to see souls, nothing fancy but it makes for a good lie detector."

Astra's ears fell flat. "...why are you sad?" This caused W to flinch, and quite noticeably too. "Is it... about Miss Twilight? Or the Guards?"

"All of the above really," The woman admitted with solemn eyes. "I never asked to become public enemy number one, that Merchant's gone and ruined any and all chances they'd listen to me now, so we're on our own."

"I don't understand..." W looked to the downcast filly, her eyes looming over the book in front of her given by Zecora. "They did nothing wrong and were turned against you, and all you've done is help everyone, it's not fair..."

Listening to this, W chuckled dryly, reaching around the flames to ruffle her mane, offering her sharp smile. "Often the things we want most are the hardest to reach," Leaning back to look up at the dark sky, W pondered a little on the Merchant before adding. "Doesn't matter, once we find that bastard we'll fix this, and I'll help you find your memories too." That made Astra gasp slightly, looking up at the Sarkaz with wondrous eyes. "Tch, you'd think I'd forget about that? Who do you think I am, kid?"

"N-no, I-I just..." She turned red slightly upon seeing W's knowing grin through the flames. "I want to help too..."

"You've already helped me, don't you see that?" "You're trying to carry the world on your own, I get that but don't worry about that just now," Patting her flexed arm, W admired her body's toned features. "May not look it but I'm one durable woman, I can take a few hits for ya."

Her antenna twitched, and her fingers coiled around the handle of her grenade launcher. "Speaking of..." She kicked up the dirt and held the wide muzzle against the tip of a rough, stone spear. "...I've really had a bad day, so please, just try and make it worse, smartass...es?" By now, W noticed that the one creature wasn't alone, in fact, there were several bipedal creatures standing by the rocks, holding makeshift weapons. "Astra, stand close."

"Mmmhmm," She hugged W's legs while the Diamond Dogs approached the campfire, all hesitant at the woman's snapping tail and crackling eyes, not to mention the metal object she held out before them. The little pony's eyes flickered around the crowd, hesitant before both her silver orbs widened at the flakes of dark blue smothering their forms. "...they're scared."

W chuffed, glaring back at the leader holding the spear against the rim of her launcher. "Heh, guess they're smarter than they-"

"No... of something else, it scared them away," She whispered, and W hesitated, realizing her finger was a hairpin away from setting off a bloodbath. Her aim never faltered, and her voice struck with scorn.

W sighed, exasperated, "Really making this harder, kid - alright, what's it you want, mutts? Kinda want to rest after being evicted from my home," Much as she wasn't happy about the idea of living in ruins all her life the Castle was still a safe haven for her to be just normal, or as normal as a Sarkaz Mercenary can be.

The one in front, who wore an eyepatch over his scarred, right eye grunted. "Horn-Lady and Little Pony in Diamond Dog territory, you go!" He huffed, electricity forming between his eye and W's, other Diamond Dogs, and even Astra grimacing at the fact.

"I don't see your name on this rock, Patches," She snapped back, both weapons taut. Quickly, Astra scrambled between them, though her light shoving only succeeded in drawing their eyes down briefly.

"P-please, wait, why are you scared, Mister?" Looking once more to the filly's big, silver eyes, the lead Diamond Dog folded his ears back, growling lowly. "Please?"

"Hrm... black creatures swarm mines, hurt tough Diamond Dogs, we tougher but they so many, so we flee, injured and... scared," That last part was a struggle for it to get out. Now, W glared around and noticed that they weren't all built to fight, some were clearly hurt, and others didn't have any real idea how to use the weapons they carried.

"It's like they just handed a weapon to whoever could walk straight," Steeling her glare, W lowered her weapon. "Fine, what's going on, and what do you mean 'Black Creatures'? 'Cause right now, sounds a little racist on my end."

The scarred Diamond Dog lowered his own spear, looking up at the dark cliffs ahead. "Creepy slugs and spiders that go boom shake caves, ruin shiny stones, and attack Diamond Dogs," His foot stomped sharply. "We crush Black Creatures! But... they keep growing," His eye flickered with fright. "They hurt many, we afraid to lose more..."

"The Infected..." W sighed, rubbing her chin while eyeing Astra's concerned look for the Diamond Dogs around them. Much as W hated to admit it, they were all in the same boat. "Oi, patches-" To her amusement, the patched Diamond Dog turned to her, spotting her fanged smile as her tail poked in his direction. "Let's make a contract - a deal to be simple - I clear out the Black Creatures, and you let Horn-Lady and Little Pony go, sound fair?"

A few that heard her declaration murmured and grunted among themselves, Patches seemed to take a keen interest in her words, looking around. "You help Diamond Dogs?"

She shrugged, rubbing the tip of her right horn. "So long as you keep your end of the bargain and let us go, I won't add you to the list of pest control, get me?" She received a blank stare, realizing her colorful threat flew over them. Rubbing a hand down her face, she ignored Astra's slight giggle. "Ugh... I will help you, yes - Do, We. Have. A. Deal?" The red tick above W's head was becoming prevenient.

Patches nodded hastily, "Diamond Dogs okay with deal, we let Horn Lady and Little Pony go, remove Black Creatures for Diamond Dogs!"

"Keep calling me that name and I'll call you roadkill..." Shaking her murmur under her breath, W turned to Astra, holding out one of her grenades, that being a smoke grenade. "Take it, kid 'till I get back."

Seeing this, then W's serious face, Astra shook her head. "B-but I want to help, please?" Much as it warmed the merc's heart to hear that, she smiled and ruffled her mane.

"I haven't said it since Ponyville, but thanks kid, for sticking your neck out for me," This made her tilt her head, W handing her the grenade, seeing it plop into her hooves. "You've helped me more than I think I'm willing to admit right now - so trust me to get this done - and if need be, use this to come find me, got it?" Although hesitant, Astra slowly complied to W's wishes, allowing the cloaked Mercenary to stand, passing a sharp glance to the patched Diamond Dog. "One last thing-"

By now, the Diamond Dog felt his blood freeze upon the cold sensation of W's knife pressed against his collarbone, the angle behind the boulder obscuring the sight as W leaned in, eyes burning into the Dog's ice-blue orb. "-You pluck even a hair from her head, and you'll wish the Infected tore yourself and your kind apart." Not bothering for his reply, W relinquished her blade and grabbed her rucksack, beginning to make the climb toward the caves across the highlands. "Stay safe, Astra." Was her silent prayer to the innocent little filly.


The caves running through Rambling Rock Ridge were large enough for many to fit through, or a single, unhinged mercenary. Lighting wasn't an issue, the many deposits of crystals lit the tunnels in a shade of light blue. Magic coursed through the earth and into the minerals, some grew in smaller clusters of pinks and yellows. Many boulders and veins along the walls glimmering with precious metals. It astounded W extensively while running her hand across the wall to her left, following the pathway like a maze, hugging the left-hand walls past old mineshaft supports and rusted rail tracks.

"Had this place existed back home, not even a grain would be left," W's voice reverberated off the damp walls, turning left again to see the path ahead stretch endlessly on a railway, and a lone cart just begging to be ridden. One thing she had to admire about Equestria was their lack of need to consume beyond what's necessary, to places like this hold no value other than to be spectacles for travelers. "Tch, those mutts sure picked a nice home - grah - maybe I'll grab something for... Astra!" After giving the old minecart one last heave the wheels groaned and snapped off the grime clogging their wheels.

Quickly, W hopped inside and tucked her arms in to avoid the low-bearing beams and rock formations. Soon, she began to pick up speed on the slight slope encroaching ahead. The minecart chugged along the old tracks once more, the wind combing through W's hair while she held her hand atop her antenna, inspecting the road ahead for any sudden cuts in the line. The glow of crystals flew by like strobe lights, flinging her left and right around sharp bends she sure would have thrown her out if she wasn't careful.

A bright light quickly encapsulated her, blinding the woman as the crystals refracted off each other, piercing from the walls and ceiling of a massive, excavated cavern, the railway stretching across a rigidity bridge. Mounds of rock and dirt lined the many levels the quarry was excavated between, going down several layers, expanding outward ahead of her.

While the minecart slowed its crawl across the bridge, W's eyes widened considerably at the sight below. Hugging the back wall of the cavern was a large protrusion of onyx rock, the formation jagged, jutting from the earth like a sore thumb. The dark texture was semitransparent in the pitch under the crystals. Many were mutated, turning a saturated honeycomb color. Surrounding the crystal were many arachnid-like Slugs, their abdomens swollen dark red while they crawled around a few normal variants of themselves. One, however, stood out the most.

Clad in dark greys and white barding, clutching a longsword now fused by Originium crystals growing across the wrist, a mask covering what was once a human underneath, its breathing heavy by how its hunched form rose and fell with every second W slipped by, coming to stop at the other end of the bridge. But the horns and tail distinguished the creature to the silverette. "It's a Sarkaz Mercenary like me?" "Color me impressed, didn't think they were around in the game..."

Stepping quietly out of the minecart W crawled toward the edge of the cliff, analyzing the cavern below. The whole host of Infected seemed to be drawn to the massive Originium crystal, guarding it. W had never seen them act this way before, what was the Merchant up to? She shrugged, tugging out several C4 bundles while pulling the pin on a grenade with her teeth. "Party time, hehehe..." She 'dropped' the grenade into a small growth of blue crystals below, seeing it clattering between the minerals while slipping back to hide from the blast. She couldn't help but grin at the carnage to ensue.

*BOOM-SHATTER!*

The whole cavern became refracted by blue particles and shards of crystal that showered down on the unsuspecting Infected. W ran across the bridge again, unloading payloads of high explosive ordinance with a satisfying 'thunk' every time. The red Slugs and their arachnid counterparts all scattered, some blown into red paste while the spiders exploded upon death, destroying more crystal deposits and leaving behind small craters. The Sarkaz Infected looked to W, sporting her twisted smile while raining hellfire from above.

Turning, it dug the edge of its blade across the soil, approaching the base of the bridge, ignoring the chaos that erupted around it. Up above, W kept up her dance with an inferno raging below. Her constant bombardment was enough to fend off any of the Slugs that drew too close to the support beams below, just the railway she balanced on was groaning in protest due to age. Her eyes ensured to pick her targets carefully, firing grenades into the explosive Slugs as their bodies aided in destroying the newer growths of Originium. "It'll take alot to bring that larger crystal down, better make this quick - Sarkaz are easily infected by this stuff."

Pivoting on her heels, her iron-sights were locked to the large crystal, intending on weakening the mineral. Her trigger finger was taut, then misfired under the sudden sway of the bridge, launching the grenade across the cavern and into the wall. "What the hell...?" Looking down, her eyes narrowed at the sight of the Sarkaz Blademaster as he tore his mutated blade through one of the support beams, dividing the metal cast that bound the wood together. "Ah, crap!"

One section of the bridge began to snap and bend under the loss of foundation, swinging toward the right as W ran across the bending portion, leaping down into a roll as dust and broken remains of timber flew past her eyes. She couldn't see in the plume of dust, but her ears snapped at the subtle disturbance of rock. Rolling forward, the blade passed over her, barely missing her tail while it wrapped itself around her waist. Swinging her arm outward the barrel was deflected by a blade, disarming her as the silverette backpedaled from a thrust as it sliced her cheek.

The dust began to settle, revealing the Blademaster as it swayed toward her, scraping the tip off the ground while W's eyes flicked to her discarded launcher, then to the Sarkaz Infected. Grinning with a slight chuckle, she withdrew her own dagger, inverting it. "You're a funny one," Then her fangs were brandished. "Come and cut me up then!"

They rushed each other, the Infected thrusting his katana towards W's chest, yet she effortlessly evaded it while the Infected continued the violent offensive. One did come close, W leapt back, allowing the Infected to strike at her chest but with the mere centimeter of the katana sliding against her jacket's hem she parried the attack, striking with a solid kick to the stomach. Breaking into a low sprint, W slid under a horizontal cross and gouged out a large chunk from the Infected's thigh, pinching her fingers into the dirt to rise with a powerful slash to the shoulder blade.

Flipping over the Infected sweeping blade W pressed her boot to its crown, slamming it down into the dirt with all her body weight, kicking the mutant across the cavern while her antenna trembled at the skittering sound plaguing her eardrums. Diving to her right, one of the Infused Slugs erupted in a gooey sludge, another scampering toward her. "Hmph," Dropping a grenade at her left foot she reeled her leg back and punted the device until it jammed itself in one of the bulging abdomen cracks. The inferno of gold and tiger overtook the Slug, and W winced as one of the smaller ones prodded her shin with a spike, instantly earning a kick and blade through the crown. "Little rat - ah..." Rubbing the sore spot she winced as blood tipped her fingers.

Swinging her dagger down to the left, she severed two legs off a pouncing spider as it flew by her face. Grabbing a broken crystal she rammed the point forward like a spear, impaling another behind her while running to avoid the blast. She smashed her left fist through another arachnid's stomach, kicking backward to throw one of the grounded ones into a group, seeing the chain reaction of unstable Originium go off like fireworks. Bits struck her body but not once did the Mercenary flinch, eyes trained on the lack of a visible, human Infected.

W twirled around, withdrawing several throwing knives that made their homes in the corpses of disintegrating Slugs. Panting, W still had to destroy the Originium formation. Questions of why it was down here and how ran rampant through her head, still drunk on the excitement of combat briefly. "Here goe - ah!" The silverette threw herself onto a knee, blocking the vertical slash from the Infected Sarkaz, itself growling at her determination to evade the inevitable. Or until it swept her left foot with its own tail, grabbing the scruff of her shirt, slicing her wrist when she used her bare arm to deflect its bladed hand.

The Infected snarled, flinging her headfirst into the dirt, watching as her body contorted in many painful angles, landing in a heap under a pile of large, blue crystals, leg pinned and dagger imbedded in the ground far from her reach. W moaned under the rubble, attempting to move the wedged mineral to no avail, even while the Infected Blademaster loomed, carving a delicate line through the earth. "Shit, this... isn't how I saw this unfolding." With a furrowed brow, W kept trying to move and wiggle under the weight but sadly, her 'inhuman' strength wasn't as big of an advantage as she's claimed. "Think, W, what about that stunt before, back in Ponyville?"


Looking down at her hands, she felt... wrong. Arts, there was no mistaking the strange, otherworldly feeling, it was like magic but it wasn't, something of a variant maybe. W, as far as what Aoi knew, couldn't use Arts, she used weapons that were manufactured for Arts but never her own. What exactly did the Merchant do to her body? Thinking back on that day, how did W pull that off to begin with? Astra was crying, and she was being accused with no hope of escape.

"I felt... scared, suffocated... furious," Clenching her fists, practically ignoring the looming threat of the Infected before her. W's eyes were hazy, focused solely on that feeling again, the idea of being treated like some monster, all of this anger was not just toward the Elements, but to Him, the Merchant. "The only reason I'm here is because of him. So many others have probably suffered the same or worse fates than me. That wasn't fair, to me, to them, to anyone! So why do I have to keep putting up with his bullshit!?"

Grinding her teeth together, W felt her whole body become riled up with rage, her blood was boiling over. She bit her cheek, tasting copper while straining her lower muscles against the crystals. Then it came, the feeling of weightlessness washed over her like a calm before a storm, and with a sudden, moonlight blur, a smaller whirlwind of metallic force shaved the minerals around her, fracturing the illuminated crystals with a warcry. Stumbling onto her feet, it was clearly not as strong as the last time, but that didn't matter. Grinning with blood-stained teeth and malice burning in her eyes, W snapped.

"Disappear, get the hell... out of my way!!" Her voice tore through the cavern. W tackled the Infected by the waist, plunging to smaller knives through its jugular, hacking and slashing at the pale skin through the torn barding, enjoying every second of its spilled, blood staining her body as though it were paint. Shoving her knee against its abdomen, W procured a small C4 charge from her belt, shoving the sticky device against the Sarkaz's faceplate, outright refusing to acknowledge the blade that sliced at her hip, then her shoulder. "Boom, hehehe." She gave it one last wink and kicked the Infected aside, its back pressed to the main Originium mineral.

*Beep*

The Infected barely had time to react to the sudden wave of searing heat that consumed its head, blowing the Infected body to pieces in a crimson blaze before W's satisfied eyes. Letting how a heavy breath, her body slumped slightly, sadly, her work wasn't done, even with the cavern practically another explosion away from falling apart. Cracking her knuckles, W ignored her injuries and grabbed her rucksack, pulling out several more C4 slabs. "No rest for the wicked, eh?"


Later that night, W startled Astra and the Diamond Dogs surrounding the fire by throwing a few shards of the crystals she destroyed into the fire, turning the once orangy-yellow tone a shade of royal blue. "There, sealed off the cavern, so long as you don't dig in that area anymore you shouldn't find anything - no promises though," She wasn't some scientist, she didn't know if simply reducing the Originium to dust would solve the problem, or be a temporary solution. "Your welcome, Patches." Though her cynical tone said otherwise.

"Horn Lady bleeding," The eye-patched Dog grunted, pointing to her many fresh wounds that had clotted over during that time. Hearing this, Astra rushed to W's side, just as the merc took a seat with a sigh.

"Are you okay?" The pleading silver eyes locked to W, and the woman let her guard down somewhat, thankful she was unharmed.

"Told ya I'd get it done, right? And a few cuts and bruises are just a little reminder of that," Shrugging off the buzzing pain that did permeate across her body, W locked eyes with the lead Diamond Dog. "No survivors I could find, just dust and Infected."

It whined lowly but looked assured. "Diamond Dogs keep deal, Horn Lady and Little Pony can go later, nightfall still long." Much as W hated it, he was right, and she was far too exhausted to worry about leaving now. "Diamond Dogs thank, Horn Lady - Little Pony nice too."

"Is that so?" Looking to Astra, the filly shook her head bashfully, hiding the smoke grenade as W snatched it back.

"I-I just helped them rest t-that's all, and... kinda said stuff about you," She looked at W as if awaiting to be scolded by her parent. W blinked slowly, then eyed 'Patches'.

"Oh? And what might that be?" She inquired in a neutral pitch.

Two Diamond Dogs spoke up behind Patches, expressing actions with their fists. "Horn Lady tough, beat stupid ponies up for being rude!" "Horn Lady can make big booms of fire with her hands!" Another then added, waving its spear high. "Horn Lady fought gold ponies too, made them look stupid, hahaha!!"

Hearing all this praise of her talents, not a single lick of scorn or distrust. How Astra managed to lift the spirits of a group of scavengers with exaggerated stories of her battles with Ponyville and the Royal Guard. It made an honest laugh escape W's lips, and a faint blush rising to her cheeks with a toothy smile. "Haha! Yeah, you heard that right, mutts!" She wrapped her good arm around Astra's neck, hugging her closely. "I kicked those stuck-up ponies to the curb! Made them all fear me too!" Many took heed of her challenging words with excited murmurs.

Getting comfortable, W grinned as the campfire illuminated her face with a devilish tint, arm wide toward the stary sky. "You want to hear more? Then listen up!"

///Act II - Boulevard of Broken Dreams\\\

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

So starts a new act, much is to come in this one as we cover the major chunk of the story that I'm totally not making up as a go along :twilightsheepish:. I really can't thank you all enough for liking this so far, I'll do my best as always. Hope you enjoyed it, appreciate the support, seeya in the next chapter, Renegades!

Next Chapter: Reflection
Leaving the Diamond Dogs behind, W and Astra press for the town nearest Canterlot, Hoofprint, and proceed to cut through a large forest that overtakes the rest of the journey. But they are not alone.