• Published 24th Jan 2021
  • 3,795 Views, 371 Comments

Renegade - Slendy



Equestria welcomes a new stranger, though 'welcome' is a strong term. But it's not like they gave them much of a choice. That was fine, neither will she. The Mercenary W will prove them wrong.

  • ...
21
 371
 3,795

2-0 Better Be Brave

"-my point stands, DS Two was bloated with bosses when it's not needed," W waved her hands passively between Cinder and Sora.

"I'm not saying that it isn't, but some have their charm," Cinder complied, cutting away the vines between them and their undetermined pathway through the roofed forest. "I dislike the future PVP bosses."

"Ugh God, I hate that church in the Ringed City!" She moaned while leaning her head against Sora's shoulder, much to the boy's embarrassment while aiding the silverette in walking a little more comfortable until the effects of the medication soothe the last of her injuries.

Astra poked Sora's calf, drawing the ravenette's orbs down to the quiet filly. "What does 'PvP' stand for?"

"'Player versus player', a term used in games, example, if I and W went head-to-head in a game it would be 'PVP'." He elaborated for the curious filly caught out of their loop.

"I'd totally kick your ass - both of you have been excommunicated from video games for years in Equestria, I, on the other hand, have not." W put a hand on her chest with a smug grin, only to quickly yelp as Sora deliberately shifted his weight, forcing her to balance herself. He took a little pride in seeing her become quiet and flustered herself, "Ass..."

Their journey was almost coming to a close thanks to the addition of Cinder's 'Bonfires'. Since he had spent a long time in Equestria, he provided a little bit of context to how he traveled across the land...

"So this thing can warp us closer to Hollow Shades just like that?" W snapped her fingers, resulting in the ponified Hollow nodding to her action, his hoof outstretched to the pommel of the coiled sword resting in the embers.

"With this I have crafted an assortment of counterfeit blades, recreating the Bonfires that served players among Dark Souls, they allow me to traverse Equestria in hours instead of days," As he explained his methods of travel the trio stared at the fire together in awe. Noticing this made the old Displaced chuckle. "Well, it suits my needs, although the larger quantity of people can take its toll on my stamina."

"Again, I probably have an incurable illness, one of us can see souls, another is a manifestation OF souls, and the other can fly and heal things..." W's antenna twitched with her faked smile. "Great, I feel like I got short end here."

"So that's why there's a bonfire in the smithy...!" Sora beamed, earning a silent look from the girls as he grinned sheepishly. "Ahaha, sorry, I don't really go down there often."

"The more I hear of where you live the more I want to blow it up," W grunted, totally not from envy, no-no.

"Mr. Cinder-" His head titled to Astra's voice, meeting the child's large, silver eyes. "Your aura is... strange, like alot of others on top with strange shifts, kinda like waves."

"Get used to her pointing this stuff out, by the way," W teased while ruffling her mane.

"It is fine - sharp observation, due to my Displacement as the Soul of Cinder I am a manifestation of the Souls that rekindled the First Flame of Dark Souls, so my abilities are stem from previous warriors, that is why my soul may appear abnormal to a Seer." While the answer seemed to satisfy the curious girl, Cinder kept focused on her eyes, and of her warning the night before. "Just where did she come from? Perhaps our world or another? She hardly fits the look of any discernable characters I am aware of."

"Hey, look!" Sora spoke up, gliding down to land before W with a smile. "Up over the ridge, I think I see the town."

This news, coupled with everything the trio had been put through gave them a much-needed energy boost. They jogged up the hill, Cinder following shortly after to spot through the illuminated woods the town of Hollow Shades.

From the glow of the forest, the town wasn't far, the glow of lanterns dotting the treeline. The buildings were gothic in design, looming among the trees and against the cobblestone walls that protected the town. Their grey-brick walls stretched taller than your average house, black-tiled roofs with a tint of dark purple to them. Lanterns swung on black chains and between the trees. Some trunks sprouting vibrant, bioluminescent plants for an added variety of color.

Cinder bowed his head with a hoof outstretched toward the buildings. "Welcome to Hollow Shades, Sora, W, Astra."

"Heh, why thank you," W giggled, taking a second to bask in its eternal night. A large weight was beginning to ease off her shoulders, the answers she sought for weeks were there, somewhere in that town. "Almost there..."

Astra spoke next, though her voice was shaken, eyes dilated. "U-u-um, w-w-W?"

"Huh?"

"After all this time, you have finally made it-" The sickly smooth voice immediately earned the chime of a grenade vacating W's launcher, the large shell missing its target by an inch, striking a nearby tree with a devastating amount of splinters and bark. The force and suddenness of the attack barely resulted in a flinch. "-I guess congratulations are in order,"

Everyone was on edge once more. Astra remained between the trio with Cinder raising his sword to guard the filly, Sora raised both swords with a sharp glare beside W's hellish face. The look she sent the man's way was nothing short of sickening, bloated with venom. "Finally feel like chatting, huh?" W snarled while her tail thrashed off the ground.

Dressed in black ragged clothes, face obscured behind the cloth and a hood was the being all had suffered from. The cause of all that was pitted against W stood there, mocking them atop a tree branch with a frightening calm demeanor, as though all were played into his hands. The Merchant spoke with a small bow and tip of his cowl. "I apologize for my rudeness to you before, I simply... admired your vicious drive to succeed, to prove your worth to these degenerate Equines - I have felt the same way in a certain case."

"Why are you here?" Cinder kept a cold, low tone with the Merchant.

He walked toward the edge of the curling branch, light as a feather with every step taken under W's sightlines. The Merchant lifted a hand before him as if to grasp a globe. "I had no reason to be here other than to say... turn back," His voice was low and gravely.

W snorted, holding her launcher toward his center mass. "Want me to come up there and call you 'Master' while I'm at it, asshole?" Barking back W quickly added. "Admit it, you just want to kill us right now, don't yo-"

"No, that would be a step backward," The Merchant replied coolly. "Fine then, go, perhaps then you will understand your roles, and realize the futility in picking a fight you can't win," His head lowered, shaking until a deafening cry reverberated from the town ahead. "Hmm, seems they found you, Warrior." This time, his eyes were revealed, piercing amethysts trained on the confused Astra.

"Huh?"

"W? Hollow Shades, it's-" Sora froze when he saw W's arm trembling, her face scrunched up in rage. The Merchant was standing there, to Sora, he was an enemy but compared to W, this might as well have been the very person who tore everything from her hands. Sora, Cinder, even Astra had something to support them when they arrived in this world, but W? She had nothing but herself and a hatred for the Merchant. "He's making her choose..."

"Which is more valued to you, Aoi?" W visibly flinched, finger pressed to the trigger. "This world or your childish revenge?"

"Stop screwing with me...!" She hissed yet remained rooted, even while the Merchant slowly strolled toward the trunk of the tree, a ripple in the air forming at the cast of his hand. "You can't run forever. I'll kill you!"

"No-" He paused briefly, shaking his head. "-You won't."

Like mist, he vanished from their fingers. Everyone stared at W, still shaking, hand forever poised toward the tree. "W..." Sora approached her, resting his hand on her wrist causing her to flinch and lower her weapon, head down in defeat. "We'll get him, count on it."

"..." She said nothing and instead, turned to the town crying out in peril. "...I'm a mercenary-" She pulled away from Sora's hand, much as it did put her at ease. "-I've still got a job to do."

She left without another word, leaving them all to consider the sudden encounter briefly. Sora sagged his shoulders, a hoof patted his lower back, belonging to Cinder. "She has endured far more than most, leave her be, she will come around."

"I just wish I could've said something than just... that." It felt so empty to him too.

"In time, come, Hollow Shades requires our aid, come," Kneeling down, Cinder allowed Astra to hop onto his back, and soon the pair took chase.

"...they're here... it's the Wolves..." Those harrowing words alone forced the Hollow and Aasimar to run as though their own lives were on the line.


Hollow Shades had seen better days than most, unlike today under the constant dusk. Bat Ponies and a handful of ponies ran in terror to their houses and places far from the monsters that terrorized the streets and torn down stalls and anything not made of concrete. Dark shadows ran across the sharp rooftops and hid among the shadows cast in alleyways. Howls and cries of beasts ran rampant from the eastern entrance to Hollow Shades.

One group of Bats were kept close by a Thestral with a spiked mane wearing a red bandana; With just his hooves he twirled a moonlight spear to face the creatures. Using its length to keep their snarling jaws back, buying the innocent Bat Ponies a chance to flee. "What, afraid of a little toothpick are we?" He jested, keeping an almost confident demeanor over the large, imposing figures. "Heh, bunch of overgrown pups is all you are."

One's glowing eyes narrowed, muzzle lifting at a growl before it pounced, swiping the spearhead away, he quickly returned it, carving out the creature's eye as it howled, slapping the spear down into the dirt, leaving the Bat open to be gouged on the spot. It pounced and his eyes widened considerably.

W grasped a sign hoisted by chains on a corner balcony, using the mounted piece to whip around the corner, finger pressed to the trigger the second she sighted the monster. With a single 'thunk' the pellet struck the large figure, blasting it far from the Bat Ponies and across the street. It shook itself amongst the smoke, disorientated that it didn't see the grenade rolling by its feet until it was consumed in a large plume of smoke and fire. Landing beside the unique ponies, W kept her crooked smile, eyes cast as bright as the glowing fauna.

"Nice toothpick."

The bandana-wearing Bat smirked. "Nice boomstick."

Through the dark mist left by the creature, more took its place, thereby offering W a view of what she was up agains - her eyes froze over the sight, gripping her launcher tighter while shrugging off her cloak. They were large, dark, werewolf-like creatures with their bone exposed along their snout, eyes casting a red contrail. Most stood on all fours while a few bent upright on their hind legs with a slouch. Bodies muscular under a coat of jet black fur.

"Grimm..." The words whispered off her tongue confused the Bat ponies until she huffed, glaring down those still standing there to gawk at the hairless ape. "Well? Do I look like a Guard to you? Run!"

The spear-pony quickly ushered them behind W and far from the pack of Beowolves circling her from the streets and buildings, all enchanted by her potent scent of rage and bloodlust. Due to the Merchant all W wanted, no, yearned for was to make something around her writhe in pain, to be buried under her boot, to feel everything she felt and so much more.

The first Beowolf lunged for her nape, sneaking upon the Sarkaz who simply folded her arm over her shoulder, obliterating the wolf's head, leaving it with a stump that crumbled away. Reloading with a flick, W hopped back from a pair of claws, kicking it across the snout and into the line of silver saw through the sky. Sora spun around, splitting its head in two while performing a helix spin to disperse two more Grimm that attempted to ground the Aasimar.

"You really love getting yourself in trouble."

"You should really have grown used to my charm." She smirked, popping another grenade off as it struck the corner of a dilapidated building, tossing a Beowolf from the edge. With a bump of her tail off Sora's awaiting fist, the two separated, charging toward the frenzy that followed their emotions like the scent of blood. "Boom!" W slid on her back, evading a diving wolf while sticking a C4 to its gut, leaving another on the ground before pouncing over a bipedal Grimm, using its snapping jaw as a stepping stone over the horde as her fingers slammed down on the shiny red button.

Three chain explosions tore through the horde, freeing the air for Sora to spin-kick a Beowolf into a stand, sending planks flying that his swords carved through, blinding the second Grimm while blocking a claw swipe of the third. Using the blinded one's back he pressed his feet to its spin, lunging to amputate the third, kicking off its face, splitting the skull in one vertical slant. A grenade bounced between the stand and the blinded wolf, blowing them to charred chunks.

Sora roared at the top of his lungs, leaping into a spin to sever another pair of arms from a Beowolf, followed by an uppercut with the edge shoved through another's jaw and out the top of its head. Pulling out, Sora flew under a set of claws, slicing another down. Flicking his left blade back, he enhanced it with light, blinding the sneaky Beowolf briefly for the upper half of its jaw to come off clean horizontally.

He waited for another two wolves yet a mine's little bobble poked from the dirt road, erupting into an inferno, leaving only dust in its wake while a demon flew through the flames, drop-kicking another in the chest for Sora to take advantage of, impaling it with both tips of his swords, tossing the corpse aside while both pressed their backs together, facing the late arrivals from the rooftops.

W flicked her hair back, nudging Sora's shoulder. "Fly-Boy, we got the Big Boi!" Looking in her general direction, he felt his heart skip at the somewhat larger Grimm approaching with the corpse of a small wolf crumbling in its hand.

Its bone structure is more visible, this time with its rib cage protruding out of its chest. Its claws are also longer, and the bones appearing out of its forearm thicker. Its knees have more external bone poking out. The black fur, however, is still visible. With a single sniff of the air, the glowering eyes leered past the duo and toward Cinder who carved through the stragglers with a blazing spear of brimstone. The Alpha's gaze traveled further, spotting the small filly helping a few Bat Ponies to their hooves to escape, then it howled in rage.

"Crap, it's after Astra!" Sora warned, putting W on high alert with her sights set immediately to the large wolf, firing a grenade as it yanked up one of its underlings, using it to bat the explosive through the treetops above. Even Sora blinked slowly. "Huh, that's a new one."

"The Big Bad Wolf's got talent, cute." W cooed, loading another while Sora deflected the swipe of a Beowolf behind her back. "Come on, we can do this."

"I've got your back." That alone was a comforting thought to her, the pair dividing once more to wither down their enemy's numbers.

Over by Cinder, he held back a Beowolf with his longsword's face, shoving it back with a searing hiss of flesh and fur melding together. Spinning around his magic tore a streak of fire through the air, burning through three Beowolves with a single slant of molten metal, his right hoof poised over Astra to scorch another approaching from the alleyway. To his admiration, the filly was barely fazed at all by the heat, from spending so much time with W it had simply become second nature to her to never fear fire or loud noises. She liked it.

"Duck!" Cinder followed her command, diving under a wolf's swipe as it clattered across his helmet and pauldron, only for his longsword to curve upright, severing the limb while twirling to cut the beast in half. "Are you okay?"

"A mere scratch, thank you for spotting for me." He saw her give a little salute of her hoof, so much like how the brash Sarkaz woman acted. Now he could see it, this filly wasn't just W traveling companion, it was as if she was her mentor. "So that is who you are," "Hyrah!" He grunted, batting another aside for a pair of Therstals to pass by. "Follow the charcoal girl's words, she will direct you both toward the safer streets."

"T-thank you!" The male complied as the numbers began to thin, say for those cornering W and Sora alongside the Alpha.

"Mr. Cinder, I think everyone's clear of the east!" Astra blinked after focusing briefly on the area, finding no other traces of emotions from sources outside of their immediate area. It was a little stressful poking at the emotions around her, especially the Grimm, they were... hollow, just like in her dreams and memories, they were empty, a blackness surrounding their form. Then she gasped. "Behind you!"

"Hmph," Cinder held firm, erecting a large, tiger-orange barrier to parry the Alpha's encroaching claws, seeing them hook against the veil to actually vault over his form, solely focused on the filly standing no more than three feet away. Lowering the barrier, Cinder moved with a great deal of speed, weapon clanging in the air, inverting with a bright whitish-cyan glow atop the pommel.

Drawing his magic into the tip of the pommel, a cascade of Farron Hail cut across the brief gap, the darts piercing and shattering against the Alpha's platted growths like glass, some piercing its flesh. This did little to stagger the Grimm as it slammed both forearms into the dirt, missing Astra who managed to roll aside at the last second. Backing away, she was low enough that Cinder conjured a great deal of magic from his soul into the staff, embroiling the blade with a massive sky-blue Soul Greatsword that came sailing across the street, severing a few lamposts and sweeping against the Alpha's ribcage, throwing the beast backward.

Safeguarding Astra, Cinder summoned two large Crystal Soul Spears to batter and discourage the Alpha as it thrashed through the attack, fracturing their forms with sheer strength. Up above, W slid down a rooftop, firing a grenade as it fractured the left-hand side of the wolf's muzzle, her feet pressing against the snout while retreating toward Sora. Finally, it lost its interest in Astra and gave case, tearing through carts and barrels in an effort to peel back the mercenary's flesh.

"I-It's my f-fault," Astra murmured behind Cinder, the old stallion turning to her. "I... I always knew they w-would come... I... I was scared." The news was a little hard to hear, her face scrunched up with tears. "I'm sorry..."

Cinder said nothing, under his helmet he swore his eyes couldn't get wider. His head snapped around to his allies facing the Alpha and its remaining forces. Then to the scared child before him... the child from Remnant...

"That's it..." Cinder withdrew, quickly kneeling beside Astra. "Astra, look at me," She did, trying to focus on anything but the fighting. "Your family, W, Sora, they mean alot to you, don't they?"

The question confused her, why would he ask her something at a time like this? What made those factors important? "What?" He moved from her sight, cupping her ears so that everything became muffled and distant. Her focus again returned to the Grimm that slowly cornered W and Sora, the larger one keeping W from using her launcher. "Mr. C-Cinder?"

"Do not focus on the battle, think closely about those that love you, those I have mentioned, anyone and everyone who you have grown to trust," Cinder's voice was calm and assertive, and so she did, thinking of them all, how they made her feel warm and safe, and happy again. "Focus solely on the feelings they give you, that warmth in your heart..."

Gently, her eyes grew heavy, leaving her lost in a void where all was highlighted with color. Auras clashed and merged from huddled families and ponies that fought. Red and blue bouncing in tangent against a black emptiness that enraptured the Creatures of Grimm, hollow and cold. Memories of W saving her, teaching, and caring for her filled the empty spots in her mind where only pain and fear resided in memories of her home. Sora and his kindness, his quirky personality clashing with W's. Mir's blunt but strange form of counseling, the nice ponies they met along the way, the Diamond Dogs that sat with them by the campfire. It was so warm, so... loving.

"Life is beautiful... it is precious... and it must be protected."

When Cinder stepped away from the timid, shy little filly, her body shimmered with a dazzling, silver veil over her body, reaching up to her big eyes that peered toward the dark world, spanning a large ray of light that wrapping itself around the two like wings, piercing Hollow Shade's gloomy atmosphere with the strength and radiance of the sun. The Grimm wailed in agony under the indomitable gaze from such a small soul, their coats reduce to nothing but black ash far and wide.

W and Sora both shook from the rush of combat, staring at one another then back at Astra who single-handedly disintegrated every Grimm left in Hollow Shades. The charcoal filly stumbled back into Cinder's hooves with a dozy smile reminiscent of W's, throat parched while that silver aura fizzled out. "I... think I got them..." Seconds later she passed out from the shock, leaving the trio stunned, although W's her heart pounding away.

It shook the mercenary to her core, "Silver Eyes... tch, of course, it was..." And she couldn't be prouder.

To Be Continued...

Author's Note:

I believe one of you called it - albeit it was never my intention - but hey, plans change when you're on a roll! That completes the circle of Displaced. Arknights, DnD, Dark Souls, and RWBY. I gots a spicy chapter up next that maaaay lead to a one-shot, hehehe. I hope you enjoyed, appreciate the support as always, seeya in the next chapter Renegades!

P.S. The final of the three acts is next!!

Next Chapter: I'm a Bad Girl
With Hollow Shades liberated from the Grimm, Astra remembers a little more of her home while Sora and W decide to join the town in celebration. And a few drinks may be enough to pull down another of the stubborn mercenary's walls.