• Published 15th Sep 2019
  • 18,774 Views, 952 Comments

Cold Fire - Arcanum -Phantasy



A cynical and distrustful man has a drunken conversation at a bar with someone and finds himself waking up in a land of talking ponies the next day. The catch? He's now a Ninetales. "Great...where's the bar?"

  • ...
53
 952
 18,774

PreviousChapters Next
Ch.30 Cold Hard Truth "Story Time Folks..."

Dahlia was still, a familiar pain wracking her brain. Everything was dark. Everything was murky. Her throat was as dry as sand, her tongue tasting like bitter herbs and acid. She heard a dull, steady, thumping, too steady to be her own heart. There was an odd smell filling the air, an odd mix of smoked cedar, jasmine, and some plant that her addled mind couldn't quite identify. When she opened her eyes, the swirling blurs that greeted her was too much for her to handle, forcing her to slam them shut.

One dry cough quickly turned into a fit, a few swears rolling past her dry tongue. Grumbling numbly to herself, she tried to stagger to her feet, but her legs refused to listen. Clenching her jaw, she tried again, only to be halted by a hoof on her shoulder. Reflex took over as she snapped her jaws down onto the limb. Whether it was because of her hangover or because of some strange quality of the presumed pony pushing down on her, her fangs would not pierce their skin.

"Be at ease soul sister," a familiar female voice said.

Dahlia bristled at the voice, her hazy mind struggling to make sense of what was going on. The pony hummed a gentle melody, the sound slowly passing through the vixen like a light pulse of sonar. A gradual grogginess started to fill her, softening the grip her jaws had on her caretaker. A wide yawn was all it took for her to release the limb, her head settling back down onto what she now felt was a pillow.

"S....Sorry," Dahlia croaked.

"You are forgiven," Treehugger said, a soft smile audible in her tone.

A hazy silence settled between them, Dahlia's mind drifting between the waking and dreaming world. It reminded her of the time her teacher used the Mind's Gate Candles on her and her brother. Just like then, she was aware of her surroundings to some degree, but not enough to cut through the fog that clouded her conscious mind. Her primal side was on alert, ready to lash out at anything that tried to make a move on her while she was in such a delicate state. The fact that she was weakened made that part of her rage, making her fur bristle in response.

"You are full of rage," Treehugger stated, concern coloring her tone. "It's, like, scaring your soul."

Dahlia spat out a bitter chuckle at that.

"That's nothing new. Scars. That's all I am; just a mass of scars and anger."

"Are you?" she pressed. "I do not see just rage and scars."

"Then you're not looking at me," Dahlia spat. "Can't blame you. If I had a choice between looking at a rock and an ugly monster, I'd take the rock any day."

"You see yourself as a monster? Why?"

Beyond the steady drumbeats, silence settled between them. Treehugger waded through it, while Dahlia struggled with the mare's question. It was obvious, wasn't it? She sees herself as a monster because she is a monster. How could Treehugger not see it?

Chuckling bitterly to herself, Dahlia went right to work proving her wrong.

"You know about Sandra, right?"

"I do," Treehugger nodded, a hint of venom entering her tone.

"Did Alex tell you they were dating?"

"He did," she again nodded.

"Did he tell you how they met?"

Treehugger paused, a small gap in drumbeats the only sign of her shock.

"Thought so," she spat, bitter humor coloring her tone. "I don't.....blame either of you. You see, way before she even met Alex, she was a coworker at this gym I was working at. She had me totally fooled; made me think she was this sweet little thing. We got real close, almost like sisters, really. We'd head out to bars after work or go on shopping trips when we had the time. We hung out for weeks and I never caught on to what kind of bitch she was under the surface. She even fooled Sid and he's pretty good at spotting bullshit."

"I have heard of her cunning," Treehugger allowed. "To hide such a rancid aura takes, like, a seriously unbelievable level of skill."

"Tell me about it," she spat. "Anyway, I mentioned Alex one night at the bar after work and she asked if she could meet him. Stupid me didn't see any problem with that at the time and...."

Dahlia's jaw clenched shut, searing rage and guilt swirling in her gut.

"It's all my fault," she growled. "I almost killed him. All because I didn't have the fucking guts to tell him how I felt and introduced him to some god damn psycho! Then, when I tried to set things right, he thought I abandoned him and tried to kill himself!"

Forcing past the pain, she opened her eyes and zeroed in on a green and burgundy blur in a sea of brown.

"IF THAT'S NOT A FUCKING MONSTER THAN WHAT THE HELL IS?!"

Treehugger said nothing, the light green blur unmoving as Dahlia glared at it. Slowly, the vixen's vision started to clear, revealing the mare's calm frown and the room that housed them. Plain wooden walls and simple furniture greeted her, a dim lantern on a table the only source of light at the room's center. Thick gray curtains covered the two windows that the room held, adding to the gloomy ambiance. Treehugger sat in a rickety wooden chair at the table, small drum held in her hooves while three incense burners circled the lantern. Dahlia herself was laying on a thick mat on the floor, not dissimilar to the one she slept on in her tent at camp.

Treehugger met the Ninetales's fury with a look of calm, an act that only added to her ire the longer their eyes stayed locked.

"WELL?!" she roared.

Treehugger weathered Dahlia's rage, unmoved by the vitriol in the Ninetales's eyes. After a few seconds of silence, Treehugger calmly voiced her thoughts.

"You are not the one that pulled a knife on Alex, nor are you the one that pushed him into such a dark path. Those actions were entirely Sandra's and Alex's own choices to make. Just like how you are choosing to let your hate destroy yourself."

"That's not-" Dahlia started, only for the rest of her denial to die half way out of her mouth.

She looked away from the mare with a grimace, a small part of her reluctantly willing to admit that she had a point.

"You want to make things right," Treehugger continued, a small smile gracing her muzzle. "Monsters don't do that. You need to make peace with the past and move forward. You can still try to stop Sandra, but you don't need to destroy yourself to do it. You are not alone soul sister."

Dahlia took in what the mare was saying, struggling to digest it like a hunk of over-spiced food.

Jaw clenched, she forced out, "What if I...can't do that. Move past the past and all of that? What if I don't think I deserve peace?"

"Do you?" Treehugger pressed, her smile wilting.

Dahlia opened her mouth to respond, paused, tried again, failed, then let out a frustrated growl as she finally barked out, "I don't know!"

Treehugger raised a brow at that, a subtle nod egging the vixen on.

"I..." she started, then let out a defeated sigh as she continued. "Everything was so much easier before Alex came to Equestria. Up until then, I didn't need to think about all of this bullshit. All that mattered was killing Sandra; nothing else. I was even willing to die if that was what it took to put the bitch down."

"And now?"

Dahlia glared down at the ground, her paws griping her mat hard enough to almost rip the fabric.

"Now....Now I'm not so sure anymore....and that scares the hell out of me."


***


A light haze settled in Dahlia's mind, a marked improvement over the railroad spike of a hangover she had to contend with a couple of hours ago. A sweet-smelling smoke flooded the room, the incense burner sitting on the table housing a dull purple flame. Sitting on her haunches, she stared dully into the flame and let her mind freely wander.

She couldn't remember everything she said when she was drunk, but what she could told her that things were going to be complicated soon. Irritation and sadness settled in her hazed mind, puffing a dejected sigh past her lips. She didn't need this right now. She would never need this. Regardless of how she felt, she knew it was never going to happen, even if Autumn wasn't in the picture. One way or another, she was going to make sure of it, purely for one simple fact.

"I don't deserve him."

"Does that mean you won't look for somecreature else?" a female voice impishly asked.

Sluggishly turning her head towards it, Dahlia watched Vermillion step out of the shadows.

"Where the fuck did you come from?" she asked, groggily raising a brow.

"Well, when a mommy Changeling and a daddy Changeling-"

"That's not what I meant and you know it," she snorted.

Vermillion giggled at that as she moved to the Ninetales's side.

"My apologies; the opportunity was just too good to pass up."

"Whatever," Dahlia chuckled, rolling her eyes. "Didn't answer my question though."

"I have my ways," she winked.

Seeing that she wasn't going to get a straight answer from the Changeling, Dahlia let it drop and went back to staring into the flame. Vermillion took a seat next to her and did the same, a small smile gracing her muzzle. A hint of irritation crept through the Ninetales's zen.

I really don't need this right now, she thought with a sigh. As soon as I can get my head on straight, I'm going to need to set things straight with Autumn. Should probably cut back on the drinking for a while too. Especially sense Sandra might be in the area. Last thing I need is to get caught in one of her illusions with a hangover.

"Bit for your thoughts?" Vermillion asked, not once looking away from the flame.

"Buzz off," she snorted.

"Funny," Vermillion giggled.

"I wasn't joking," she stated, a faint growl entering her tone.

The changeling's smirk took on a pointed edge at that.

Taking a moment to clear her throat, Vermillion straightened her posture and in a prim tone said, "Lady Dahlia, I feel it would be prudent of you to satisfy my curiosity."

"Why is that?" Dahlia frowned, mirroring her companion's manners.

"Denying me this would prevent me from aiding both my employer and yourself in this complicated matter."

The vixen shifted her focus towards the Changeling, glaring down her nose at her smirking guest.

"You say this as if I would want your assistance," Dahlia spat, her tails flicking irritably.

"I would say that you would," Vermillion stated, meeting the glare with her ever present smirk. "She and you are both suffering a wound to the heart. Who better to tend to such a wound than a Changeling?"

Dahlia stared down at her, mulling over her logic and trying to think of any ways to counter it. It didn't take long for her to see just how futile an attempt that particular venture was. Letting out a defeated sigh, she shuffled on her haunches until she was fully facing her.

"You are aware of my feelings towards Alex? How?"

"As I have previously stated, I have my ways," she winked.

"I assume the same could be said in how you know of my "tick"," Dahlia spat, her glare sharpening.

Vermillion simply nodded.

Dahlia's tails let out a small irate flick, but showed not other signs of anger beyond her glare.

"Very well. How do you plan to help?"

Vermillion's smile grew as she rose to her hooves.

"Simple. Some of my friends and I are going to go out to enjoy ourselves tonight. Naturally, you are going to accompany us."

"A night on the town?" Dahlia blinked, rearing back a bit. "How is that going to help?"

"You'll see," Vermillion said, a knowing tint slipping into her smile.


***


Dahlia grumbled to herself as she allowed Vermillion to guide her through Ponyville's entertainment district. She barely registered the full moon's light and the evening chill that hung in the air, things that normally helped her settle her nerves at times like this. Instead, she walked with her senses on full alert, ready spring into action the second something even remotely suspicious happened.

Everything seemed harmless enough, a few bars or nightclubs just starting to open up or bracing for the evening rush as they passed. The only odd thing she found to be odd at this point was the fact that Vermillion wasn't taking her to any of them. If "girls night" wasn't code for "bar hopping" or "clubbing", then what did the Changeling have in store for her?

"Where are you taking me?" she sighed, poise slackening.

"The Changeling District," Vermillion shrugged.

"Changeling District ?" Dahlia blinked. "I thought Ponyville was a melting pot."

"It is," Vermillion nodded, guiding her around a street corner. "But most creatures like to be surrounded by their own kind. As such, the town has a few parts of it that are dedicated to these creatures along with the more integrated sections."

"I guess that makes sense," she allowed. "I mean, I get why a pony would probably feel a little nervous with a fire-breathing neighbor that outweighs them by a few hundred weight-classes."

"True," Vermillion sighed. "Regrettable, but true."

She dawned a knowing smile as she added, "It does grant a few interesting perks, though."

"Like what?" she asked, raising a brow.

The Changeling responded with a giggle and nothing more.

Dahlia sighed, bitterly accepting that she was not going to get an answer any time soon.

This had better be good.

As they moved through the street, she started to notice a gradual change in atmosphere. It was subtle at first, an odd decoration here or strange smell there, but it didn't take long for that to change. Streets of normal homes transitioned into literal single-story treehouses. By the time they closed in on the district in question, they had seemingly stepped into a forest village straight from a child's picture book.

All around them, Changelings of every color flew or walked to and from lit openings in the tree homes and buildings. At the same time, small glowing lights drifted through the air like multicolored fireflies. When a few of them hit her, Dahlia felt a small pleasant tingle run down her spine. It the sensation was difficult to describe, the closest thing she could compare it to drinking an espresso while getting a comforting pat on the back from a loving parent. It reminded her of happier times and nearly brought a tear to her eye. She gritted her teeth as she fought the urge back, refusing to let such weakness creep past her guard.

"Are we there yet?" she growled.

"Not yet," Vermillion sighed. "You know, you really need to learn to have a little patience. Staying that high-strung all of the time Is not good for you."

"Tell me something I don't know," she spat.

"Very well," she smirked. "I keep a crop under my bed for when my mate wants to punish me."

Dahlia blinked dumbly at that, her brain momentarily freezing as it tried and failed multiple times to process what the prim Changeling had just said. Vermillion giggled as she looked over her shoulder at the NInetales' reaction.

When Dahlia finally managed to shake off her stupor, she bitterly barked, "T.M. FUCKING I, BITCH!"

"Language, vixen," she frowned, pointing at a glaring family of Changelings passing them.

"Uh, right, sorry," she gulped, nervously waving at the leaving family.

Vermillion sighed.

"You need this more than I thought."

"Are you ever going to tell me what "this" is?" she growled.

"No," the Changeling huffed.

"Bitch," she softly grumbled.

Vermillion rolled her eyes at that before going back to looking forward and away from her charge. They didn't say anything else after that, the Ninetales of the group taking in the sights to kill time. As they walked, homes started to become less common. After a few minutes, they walked into a huge foggy shopping center. Like the homes, the shops were living trees, only most of them were a minimum of ten-stories tall. A faint pink fog leaked out of these buildings, the haze holding a sweet, yet earthy scent.

Disgust settled in Dahlia's gut, not with her surroundings, but with herself. Whether it was one of her instincts or just a side-effect from the incense she asked Treehugger to leave behind, she found herself longing to be held. As they moved further through the district, that longing began to grow. She shook her head, trying and failing to get a better grip on herself. A steadily growing sense of frustration grew in her along with the dreaded urge, drawing a low growl past her lips.

The fuck is wrong with me? C'mon Dahlia, get a grip!

"Hey! Vermillion!" a rough female voice called from down the street.

Silently thanking whatever god was listening for the distraction, Dahlia looked up towards the voice's source.

A Kirin doe, a Unicorn mare, and a Dragoness just coming out of her teen years stood a little over ten feet away from them. The doe was practically bouncing in place, her spring colors almost glowing in the hazy evening light. The mare was a lot less animated, holding herself in a more dignified manner. The second Dahlia saw her, she unconsciously straightened her own posture. The effect weakened when her eyes settled on the Dragoness. Everything about the Dragon screamed "tomboy", from the gruff way she carried herself down to the roughish glint in her light blue eyes.

Vermillion quickly closed the distance, a wide smile gracing her muzzle.

"Spring! Smolder! Lunar! I'm so glad all of you could make it!"

"Same to you, my dear," the Unicorn nodded, a small smile gracing her muzzle.

"Yeah! We all thought you weren't gonna show," the Kirin beamed.

"I didn't," the Dragon snorted, leaning cross armed against a light pole and sporting a crooked smile. "There's no way she'd miss out on a chance to blow off some steam."

"Like you are any better," the Unicorn smirked, rolling her eyes.

It was then that Dahlia closed in on the group, instantly grabbing their attention. While the Unicorn and Dragon took a nervous step back from her, the Kirin stood her ground. Her eyes traveled all across the Ninetales's form, quickly putting her on edge.

"That's who you invited?" the Kirin gaped, pointing a hoof at Dahlia.

"Yes," Vermillion nodded, unfazed by the doe's reaction. "Believe me when I say that she could really use the services my husband's business can provide."

"If you say so," the dragoness shrugged. "Name's Smolder by the way."

She said this while nodding towards Dahlia.

"Dahlia," she said, returning the gesture before looking towards the mare. "And you?"

"Lunar," the Unicorn smiled.

"And I guess that makes you Spring, right?" she cautiously asked the Kirin.

She nodded, still looking a bit pensive about the vixen's presence.

"Cool," she sighed. "Now, could someone tell me what the hell is going on?"

"She didn't tell you?" Lunar asked.

"No," she grumbled.

"This is gonna be good," Smolder snorted, her lips pulled up into a small knowing smirk.

Spring's face turned a bit pink, her eyes refusing to meet Dahlia's as a sheepish smile graced her muzzle.

"What?" Dahlia asked, taking a nervous step back.

"Well," Vermillion tittered behind a hoof. "I suppose now is as good a time as any."

With a dramatic flourish, she pointed to the building behind her and announced, "Dahlia, welcome to the Silken Web."

Dahlia looked up at the building in question, then audibly gulped.

A vast, three-story tree building towered over them all, pink mist pouring out of dozens of open windows set into the branches and trunk. Decorative lights hung between the branches by thin strands of golden silk that were woven into wide intricate patterns. The tree's leaves were a rich lavender while the bark was a soft sapphire blue that gave off a faint glow.

The fog held the now familiar sweet and earthy scent, but now that she was paying proper attention to it, Dahlia could pick up a few other faint smells mixed in that made her fur fluff up.

"That's a brothel, isn't it?" Dahlia gulped.

"I suppose that is one way to look at it," Vermillion allowed. "My husband and I call it a 'Love Spa'."

Dahlia tore her gaze away form the building to give the Changeling a raised brow.

"You two call it a what now?"

"Well, who would know how to tend to a heart better than a Changeling?" she said with a smirk.

"We all have needs, right?" Smolder shrugged.

"Regrettably," Lunar mumbled, looking away and coughing into her hoof.

Spring continued to look away from everyone, her face gradually heating up as much as the small flame sitting on the tip of her horn.

Dahlia gave the four of them long hard looks, then let out a defeated sigh.

"I.....guess it's been awhile," she mumbled, then bitterly grumbled, "Can't do any more damage to me than drinking, right?"

With a satisfied nod at that, Vermillion turned and led the group towards the love spa.

I better not end up regretting this tomorrow, Dahlia thought, pushing back the growing heat sitting in her chest as she crossed the threshold.

PreviousChapters Next