• Published 3rd Aug 2019
  • 2,610 Views, 105 Comments

Kindness and the Heart of Shadow - Raven-Flight



Immediately following The Beginning of the End, Fluttershy is ponynapped, and Discord disappears. All of Equestria now hangs in the balance. (A Fluttercord tale)

  • ...
7
 105
 2,610

Hostage Situation

“Goodnight, Angel bunny.” Fluttershy watched the white rabbit curl up under the blanket in his little bed, and then she reached over and turned off the lamp. Soon both creatures had settled into their own rhythmic breathing, peacefully asleep.

Inhale.

Thousands of stars twinkling musically above the little cottage.

Exhale.

The full moon blinked, and a chill blew in through the closed window.

Inhale.

A frigid wisp of shadow drew itself slowly over her cheek. Fluttershy bolted upright.

“Who’s--” but the wisp snapped over her mouth and more tentacles of darkness wrapped themselves around her wings and legs.

In the center of the shadow hovering at the foot of her bed, in the very darkest part, a pair of glowing eyes opened. “Come with me...”


Fangs sprouted from Angel bunny’s mouth. The moon was blood red and the sky blacker than it had ever been. Twilight and Rarity and Applejack and Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash all tumbled into a gaping chasm and the earth swallowed them. Every flower in her yard blackened under a different-colored flame. “Your garden is looking lovely today,” Discord said, and then faded into nonexistence. And all the world faded into nonexistence, and thousands of glowing eyes opened in the darkness, and they all trained on Fluttershy and cast a spotlight on her, and they all laughed…

Fluttershy started wailing.

“Get up already!” Sombra kicked the pony hard in the ribs. Fluttershy awoke to that winded, leaving it to her fearful gaze to plead her attacker for mercy. The corners of her eyes burned. “Now hold still,” and Sombra levitated a gag over her mouth and a chain around her hooves.

Fluttershy saw the dark room they were in, wherever it was, shift and transform. In a moment, it became the throne room in Twilight’s castle, and she and Sombra were on the map-table while five of the six thrones were occupied by their owners.

“I’ve looked everywhere, I tell you! She’s gonnnnuuuuhhhhhh….” Rainbow Dash’s mouth fell agape, as did everypony else’s around the table. Sombra took stock of their faces and broke out in menacing laughter. Fluttershy could only dart her eyes around in fear and confusion.

Twilight was the first to regain her senses. “I don’t know how you’re back again, Sombra, but we’ve defeated you twice already and we can do it again! Girls?” The five all joined hooves in a circle around the shadow King. He said nothing, but his eyes spoke amusement. Twilight reached for Fluttershy’s chained hoof, but when they should have made contact and initiated the rainbow, Twilight’s hoof instead passed right through Fluttershy’s.

“What?”

After another hearty laugh, Sombra finally spoke. “That’s King Sombra. You think I’m a fool, do you? Obviously, I’m more powerful than you reckoned. I and my hostage here are merely a magical projection, transmitted from a location you cannot possibly discover!”

Twilight naturally began trying to track the magical trail of the projection. “What do you want with her?” she demanded.

Rather than answering, Sombra returned coolly, “Summon Discord.” Fluttershy’s wide eyes grew wider when Discord then appeared in a flash of blinding light without any actual summons.

“Now there will be no magical disturbances in the throne room on my watch! Where’s Fluttershy?”

“MMMPH!”

Discord whipped around and a cage descended over Sombra. After slithering on top of it, Discord reached down to remove Fluttershy’s gag. “What is this?” He demanded when his paw went right through her.

“Discord,” The projected Sombra stepped easily through the bars of the cage. “I came to speak with you.”

Discord curled himself around the Fluttershy projection. “Well, hurry it up and give her back.”

“Hmm… No. You see, Chaos Lord, I’m going to take over Equestria again, and you’ve demonstrated to me that you are too much of a threat to be allowed a chance to join in the game. So! Here’s our deal: You promise not to intervene at all in the defense of Equestria against me, and I promise not to kill this pony.”

“MMM!” Fluttershy shook her head vigorously.

“Quiet, you!” Magically yanking Fluttershy’s bonds, Sombra sent her tumbling onto her chin, her projected image passing right through Discord’s body.

But the tears and the pain in Fluttershy’s bloodshot eyes were very real. Discord roared.

“I WILL FIND YOU! I WILL PUNISH YOU!”

“Hmph. Try,” Sombra examined a hoof nonchalantly, “and I’ll kill her.”

“DAAAHHH!” burst Twilight, drenched in sweat, “I don’t know how he’s done it but I can’t find them! Discord, I can’t find them!” The Princess’s voice rose in panic, and Applejack hopped over and laid a calming hoof on her shoulder, glaring daggers at Sombra.

Fluttershy was weeping, quietly, so as not to attract her oppressor’s notice.

Tears squeezed out of Discord’s eyes too. Angry tears. Desperate tears. “Release her!” He hurtled a ray of magic at Sombra.

It passed right through the projection, of course, and Sombra just held Discord’s gaze with a blank expression. Purple flames appeared at the corner of his eyes, then at the corner of Fluttershy’s. The captive pony flopped to the ground and began to writhe in agony.

“LEAVE HER ALONE!” Discord’s ears were pinned backward, all his teeth bared at the enemy. He flung a spray of little needles that flashed like sparklers when they hit Sombra’s projection.

“Discord, don’t--!” Twilight cried, too late. Sombra flinched and sneezed reflexively; one of the needles had struck him physically in the nose.

“HA!” cracked Discord. “I’ve got you!”

But before he could step through the dimensional rip he conjured, a magical noose tightened around Fluttershy’s neck and lifted her body partway off the ground. The pegasus, eyes white and flaming, struggled and flailed as her body began to fall limp.

“You mustn’t move an inch, draconequus!” Sombra bellowed. “Make your promise now, and she will live!”

Discord wrung his hands in desperation, his eyes bulged in fear. “You promise you won’t hurt her!”

The ponies were all stiff in their thrones except for Rarity, who fainted before she could even summon her fainting chaise. The King looked as serene as could be with the dangling, dying pony beside him.

“I will make no promise of the kind; only that she will live.”

“You can’t… There must… I...” Discord’s fighting stance drooped into defeat. “I will not interfere.”

“Good.” The noose evaporated and Fluttershy’s body crumpled to the ground. She was unconscious but her chest heaved in huge, shaky breaths. “See that you keep your end of the deal, and I will keep mine. This little pony may be of use to me, after all...” Sombra made a show of stroking Fluttershy’s unconscious face, locked eyes with Discord one last time, and then the projection vanished and the map-table was empty again.

“Discord,” Twilight’s voice was shaking, “I’m so sorry.”

“Aw, Sugarcube...”

“This is totally not cool!”

Discord met nopony’s eyes. He merely looked up at Fluttershy’s empty throne with silent tears streaming down his face and neck, choked in a lungful of heavy air, and blinked right out of Equestria.