• Published 3rd Aug 2019
  • 2,587 Views, 105 Comments

Kindness and the Heart of Shadow - Raven-Flight



Immediately following The Beginning of the End, Fluttershy is ponynapped, and Discord disappears. All of Equestria now hangs in the balance. (A Fluttercord tale)

  • ...
7
 105
 2,587

Assignments

“Is it my turn for an assignment yet? I’m feeling underutilized! Sitting around here all day is almost as boring as Tartarus!”

“You wouldn’t be so bored if you’d actually talk to me sometimes! I’ve made up all sorts of games for us to play, but now that we’ve been freed, you won’t have anything to do with me anymore!”

“I never wanted anything to do with you in the first place! We were just imprisoned next to each other and I had no other choice!”

“Are you two quite finished?” Grogar interjected. Tirek and Cozy Glow immediately shut their mouths and nodded. “Good. Yes, Tirek, I do have an assignment for you. Our fire in Appleloosa had an excellent start, but the ponies have begun to get a handle on it.” As he spoke, imagery appeared in the Seeing Eye under his hooves to illustrate his points. “We need that distraction in place for as long as possible, so I want you to see to it that the weather stays hot, dry, and windy—the better to encourage the conflagration. You will go and steal the weather-controlling magic of some pegasi. Don’t take too many from one place, and don’t take any from the region around Appleloosa lest you arouse suspicion.”

“As you command, Grogar.” Tirek bowed. When I have the magic I require, I will conceal myself near Appleloosa and maintain the weather you describe.”

“And take Cozy Glow with you,” continued the goat. “She should be able to lure ponies out so you don’t have to risk exposing yourself.”

“Whoopie!” Responded one.

“Ugh,” responded the other. “But before we depart, perhaps I could start right here. A little snack for the journey? King Sombra, your little pegasus prisoner won’t be needing her magic, now will she?”

Sombra’s vacant eyes suddenly flicked to attention. “As a matter of fact—”

“You will not take the prisoner’s magic,” interrupted Grogar. “If the Draconequus ever managed to find out, he may consider it a breach of contract and our job will become much more difficult. Furthermore, I expect the pony will be of more use to our study if she retained her magic.”

“Very well.” Tirek bowed again.

“Sombra, here is your task. You will question the prisoner. I need to know more about Twilight’s friendship magic. What are the extents of the magic’s ability? What is required to obtain, initiate, and operate this magic? How can Twilight and her friends be prevented from using it?”

“I will interrogate the prisoner,” Sombra nodded.

“Good. Are there any questions before we adjourn?”

“I have one,” grumbled Chrysalis, who had spent the meeting in silence, patiently awaiting her own assignment. “What am I to do?”

“If you really cannot handle yourself without something to do,” Grogar rolled his eyes, and Chrysalis scowled. “Practice your impersonation of Sombra. We will soon be expanding our operations, and I may need at least two of him in order to act without exposing our league.”

King Sombra laughed. “I don’t believe a vile creature like you could ever truly capture my elegant turn of phrase or my dashing good looks!”

“Hmph!”

“You all have your assignments,” Grogar interjected before the argument could take off. “Now get out of my sight!”