• Published 15th Jul 2019
  • 15,838 Views, 1,589 Comments

The Centurion Project - TheEighthDayofNight



Elias "Rubrum Aquilae" Bright, the former leader of the Legio I Americana, on the run from his past, finds himself thrown into the conflicts of Equestria.

  • ...
52
 1,589
 15,838

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 71: Red Eagle; Part 2

Lionheart did his best to stand tall in the command tent. He was covered from head to hoof in mud, as well as some blood. He had to admit, the changeling was smart, the blood made selling his story all too easy, especially to the woozy, barely conscious princess before him.

Princess Luna was in a poor state, and in his opinion, she shouldn’t have been anywhere other than a bed. Blood-stained bandages wrapped crisscrossed across her body, with one around her barrel, and another binding her chest tight. Mud and dried blood sat caked in her normally pristine fur, making it matted and uneven. Her eyes were glazed with pain and whatever numbing magic had been used on her wound, and she swayed in place, barely awake as he gave his impassioned tale.

“Shattered Shield managed to wound a pair of the beasts, but he was dragged away while Dragon-Eye and I tried to fight off the main group.” He made sure his ears pinned to the sides of his head as he looked down, doing his best to look mournful. “For naught, unfortunately.”

He glanced up to check if his tale was working. Doctor Steel Scalpel wasn’t paying him any attention, was instead focused entirely on pouring magic into the cuts marring Princess Luna’s side, slowly sealing them closed. The other healer, a pink mare Lionheart had never learned the name of, was watching him with narrowed, disbelieving eyes. As was the fiery-maned unicorn sitting at the base of the small throne Luna rested upon. Lionheart could also feel the glares of the guards at his back, knew that he wasn’t likely to convince any of the ponies the human had poisoned, but his princess, she could still be saved, could still be swayed to the right course once more. He just had to wade through the vitriol the human’s ponies were likely to spew once he finished.

“I don’t know when it happened, but the changelings next took Dragon-Eye from behind, and perhaps satisfied with their catch, they soon fled.” He motioned toward still weeping wound on his brow. “But not before giving me this, as well as…”

He paused, feigning as if the words were too difficult to speak. The fiery-maned one, he was sure she was the human equivalent of a captain, snorted and waved her hoof.

“As well as what? Don’t tell me they gave you some speech about how your ‘bravery’ scared them away.”

Lionheart ignored the snide chuckling and straightened, looking the mare in the eye.

“I hesitate to speak because you either won’t believe me, or will punish me because you think I enjoy the news.”

“No…” Luna slurred, swaying. She hiccuped, then shook her head, her hazy eyes doing their best to meet his clear gaze. “No pony will… will harm you, Lion… Lionheart.”

She moaned in pain and started to over-lean to her left, but Scalpel braced her with a hoof, keeping her upright, his horn not even flickering as he continued to seal her wounds. Lionheart smiled, and gave his princess a respectful nod.

“Thank you, Princess. Your words are always a comfort, even in such, trying-”

“Spit it out or you’re going with me to look for these ‘changelings’ of yours,” the fiery-maned mare said.

Lionheart’s muzzle shifted to a scowl, then quickly shifted to an even expression. He was claiming victory, he had no need for anger. Just well-practiced, noble delivery and all would fall into place.

“She told me that General Bright was attacked and that he had fallen,” he announced, looking around to make sure that all of the human’s precious legionaries looked sufficiently shocked. “The changeling taunted me with this knowledge, I believe she mistakenly thought I liked the man or was concerned about his well being. Perhaps she was under the impression that he was this army’s only hope of success, and that such news would make me beg for mercy.” He met Princess Luna’s eyes, then bowed his head. “However, I know you favored him, Princess, and I am sorry, but seeing as he is not here, and I no longer hear any fighting, I can only assume that she is telling the truth.”

He had to focus hard to keep a smile from his muzzle.

“Elias Bright is dead.”

*****

Gray Granite couldn’t help but wince as he ran toward the gate guards. It hadn’t been long since he’d sent out the legionaries with the wagons, and had just been about to check on Princess Luna when alarmed cries filled the air, drawing him toward the camp entrance one more. Sounds were coming from the trees, and the guards protecting the entrance readied themselves for a fight as an aura of darkness seemed to fill the air, promising violence. As the earth pony made it to the gates, Elias seemed to spawn from the darkness, his bad eye glowing with rage. Scratches peppered the human’s already blood-crusted body as if he’d run without stopping through the cutting branches and biting brush. If he noticed the angry red scores, he didn’t show it. If anything, the lines crossing his body only seemed to further sell his fury as he stormed into the light of the castra’s torches. The legionaries at Granite’s side hesitated to lower their weapons, but Granite waved them away as Elias stormed past them without a word. He spun on his heel and fell in step beside the silent human as they quickly moved through the camp.

“General? What happened? Where are the legionaries I sent? Is Stone Horn still alive? What are we looking for?”

His nose curled at the stench of blood pouring off the human, as well as the slightly sour scent of his wounds beginning to turn. Elias’ path took them toward the lean-to where the former generals were kept for the moment, and the human tossed aside the length of cloth that functioned as the door. A wordless growl echoed deep in his chest and he ripped the tent down.

Granite winced and stood back as Elias tore and kicked apart the small shelter, pausing only once it was completely ruined. He panted silently for a few moments, then turned, his bad eye still glowing, narrowed and flicking about in thought.

Granite swallowed and took a step toward the human, cautiously reaching out a hoof.

“General, let’s go see Doctor Scalpel. Let’s get you patched up, for tomorrow, right? The ambush?”

Elias’ eye widened, and his lip curled in a snarl.

Then he was moving again, and with a sigh, Granite took off after him, a deep pit of dread forming in his stomach. Something bad was going to happen. Soon.

*****

“You’re wrong,” Pyrelight said. “If General Bright was dead, we’d be hearing about it from more than some skulking bug. The minotaurs would be rushing the camp as we speak.”

Lionheart scoffed.

“Elias Bright did not contribute to the magic concealing this camp, and so I highly doubt that our enemies would be able to find it even with his death. As for celebration, I have of course read the reports about Chief Steel Horn, or rather Warchief now.” He sighed and brushed his mane back with a muddy hoof. “Before he and his brother formed their warbands, Steel Horn was considered honorable and fair to his opponents. Given that Elias spared his brother’s life, I highly doubt that he would have the human’s corpse paraded around. I instead believe he will attempt diplomatic contact on the ‘morrow with evidence of Elias Bright’s fate.”

“Elias… is alive,” Luna moaned. “I have been watching the dream realm carefully, and have not felt a human disturbance…” She coughed lightly, and Steel Scalpel immediately offered water, which she eagerly sipped from. Swallowing, she continued. “Recently. Elias...” she smiled, snorting out a mist faintly colored red. “Will be a vibrant, brilliant soul I think, and will require guidance to the Keepers’ hall. I will know when he is dead.”

“Forgive my insolence Princess,” Lionheart said, feeling a twinge of irritation at being questioned. “But you are weak for the moment, is it not impossible that with all that’s happened today, he slipped your net and is already with the Keepers on his way to the Verdant Fields?”

Or far more likely Tarturus where that vile wretch belongs,’ Lionheart thought, but wisely withheld.

Luna still shook her head, sending a shock of frustration through Lionheart’s chest.

“He is alive, Lionheart. He will return, be patient.”

As Lionheart opened his muzzle to repeat himself, he froze, a sudden chill rushing up his spine. He’d faced down many things, powerful politicians and monsters alike. During the Canterlot invasion he had even distinguished himself by defending his estate from the changeling wretches with only a hoof full of guards, and he had done so without fear. Viscous fangs, deadly magic, and intent to enslave, yet something was approaching that made it all feel like foal’s play.

The guards in the room seemed to feel the approaching presence and shifted uncomfortably in place, gripping their weapons tighter. He looked back to Luna, finding little comfort in the woozy, swaying alicorn. Her eyes barely remained open, and they were most certainly not fixed on him and his story. He… He had to press on, had to convince her, even as his tongue sat fat and dry in his flapping muzzle. The presence grew closer, pressing down his chest, making it harder to breathe, let alone speak.

“P-princess, I t-think-” Lionheart managed to squeak out before it arrived.

All in the tent turned as Elias Bright stormed in with Gray Granite on his heels. Lionheart locked eyes with the human, and he felt his tail fall between his legs as Elias’ bad eye twitched and his teeth bared in an open snarl, stained with blood.

Luna smiled faintly, her hooves opening as if to embrace the blisteringly enraged human.

“You see Lionheart? Elias is more than alive, and has returned to us. Tell him your tale, he shall track down the changelings that foalnapped Shattered Shield and Dragon Eye.”

Lionheart’s throat remained dry and soundless as Elias continued to stare him down, his fists clenching and unclenching. The earth pony at his side glanced between the pair before jabbing a hoof at Lionheart’s chest.

“Pyrelight, get the traitor out of here. Tie him up and put him under close guard.”

The word ‘traitor’ sent a shock through Lionheart’s mind, and he immediately let out a cry of protest as the guards around him started to move forward.

“I’m no traitor!” He spun toward Luna, making his expression as pleading as possible. “Princess, I swear on my life, I only act in your best interests!”

“We have witnesses that say you conspired against the princesses, and this army,” Gray Granite snapped. “Now shut your mouth before I muzzle you.”

Lionheart snarled back at the earth pony and his horn flickered as he prepared his magic. He’d be damned if he was dragged off to be tied to a tree again. The indignity would end now, and if she didn’t see the truth in his words, than his princess would see the value in his actions. He had to strike brutally and to the point. That would push back the brutes the human kept around him.

“I’d suggest you stay back, lest you end up like that idiot pegasus friend of yours.”

Granite’s eyes twitched and he bared his teeth, a hoof moving to take a step forward. He was too slow by a mile.

The crack of Elias’ fist meeting Lionheart’s jaw filled the tent and blood sprayed the ground, followed closely by a tooth. Lionheart blinked in stunned silence, his legs shaking with pure shock from the speed of the attack. Pain was only beginning to register when he collapsed. He didn’t hit the ground, however. Elias was quick enough to grab him by the fur and yank him into another punch, this one in the throat. Lionheart choked and sputtered, gasping for air as Elias grabbed him by the tail, then slammed him into the dirt. A foot quickly delivered a savage kick to his ribs, then another to his flank, the aim slightly off as Lionheart instinctively tried to curl up under the barrage. Pain. Everything was hurting, blood poured from his mouth, and he couldn’t do anything other than try to endure.

Elias’ stomped on the unicorn’s ribs, then again on his head. The human crouched down and grabbed Lionheart by the throat, the unicorn letting out a wheeze before he found himself flying through the air. Another crack filled the air as his spine snapped against the edge of the table, sending the heavy oaken thing falling to the ground.

Elias tilted his head back and forth, watching the unicorn slowly come back to his senses. His fists clenched, and he started forward, only for a pony to get in his way. His bad eye twitched and his fist lashed out, shattering the pony’s muzzle. She started to fall backward, but Elias caught her armor and shoved her toward the entrance of the tent. Then he refocused on the piece of filth before him. He righted the table with one hand, watching as Lionheart feebly raised a hoof.

Lionheart, for his part, could barely think. It had all happened so quickly, so brutally. He’d never imagined such pain, and he knew in the deepest, most terrified places in his heart that is was only going to get worse. He reached out a hoof to the wide-eyed alicorn watching the beating play out with a slack-jaw and a hint of a shiver.

“Help…” he gurgled.

Elias seized the unicorn by his tail again and yanked him into the air, slamming him into the table. The wind was once more blown from Lionheart’s chest and his hooves waved, either in a futile attempt to fend off further attacks, or to help him draw in more air. The next blow that fell, cracking his ribs further, made it a moot point anyway.

Elias stood over Lionheart and began to rain down blows. Thick, well maintained muscles in his arms made sure each attack struck with devastating force, all with intent to harm. The first was across the unicorn’s jaw, to slow his squirming. The second to his ribs again, to cause damage and make the rest of the beating all the more painful. Then another punch followed, and another. Elias’ faced twitched as he pummeled the unicorn, making sure that every punch landed with precision and maximum force. His knuckles split as he managed to punch out several of Lionheart’s teeth, were split wider when a punch left a crack on the unicorn’s horn.

He kept striking the pony. Anytime the soreness in his arm made itself known, he simply had to glance toward Luna, and his fury renewed his energy. Lionheart dared to betray his ponies, dared to risk Luna’s life for whatever idiotic reasons he had, and then had the nerve to even think of Scarlet, let alone use his death as a threat. Elias didn’t care for the reasons, didn’t want an explanation. He wanted to inflict pain, to take revenge for what the insect beneath his fists had done. Ponies had died for his cowardice. Good, innocent ponies, and more yet were harmed. All for something stupid like pride or jealousy. Scarlet, poor curious, innocent Scarlet, had likely taken his injury because Elias had been forced away to clean up Lionheart’s selfish cowardice.

Elias’ lip curled and the knuckles on his left hand spattered blood onto the table as he slammed a blow across Lionheart’s muzzle. He seized one of the unicorn’s hind legs and dragged it over the edge of the table, then stomped on it. The snapping of bone and the cry of pain that followed was beautiful music in his ears, and though he was tempted to recreate the sound, a voice deep in his head took offense to such a suggestion. He was practiced at this, and repeating the same torture? It was unoriginal, a stain on his pride.

His ponies had collected his gear at some point, and he had made sure to snatch some of it up before he’d stormed to the tent. Elias took the hatchet from his belt and slammed it into the table, burying the head deep in the oak surface before grabbing Lionheart’s already swollen cheeks in his left hand. He held the pony up, trying to stare into his eyes. The pony’s eyes had already swollen shut though, so he was just left to look at a bloody mess that told him nothing about how much fear the traitor felt. He snarled and his palm grabbed the pony’s face. He slammed Lionheart’s skull into the table. Then he lifted him and did it again. Then a third time. Each rise and fall of the pony’s skull happened faster, and he slammed him down harder with every repetition.

On the last slam, Elias drew back and turned around, panting and staring up at the roof of the tent. Sweat poured down his face, or perhaps it was blood, everything seemed to hold a red tint to it. Elias tried to swallow, but found his mouth both too dry, yet too full of saliva at the same time. He spit into the dirt and placed his hands on his hips, his eyes falling to the ground as he slowly tried to calm himself down. Some small, insignificant and near silent part of his mind whispered how he was better than just raw anger, was better than to do what he was thinking of doing to the coward behind him. It gave him enough strength to merely stare blankly and breathe in an effort to walk away.

“I… was… right…” Lionheart gurgled.

Elias drew in a deep breath and looked back to the ceiling, running his tongue across his teeth. The small voice suddenly lost any volume. He glanced back at the well pummeled unicorn, saying nothing.

Lionheart tried to roll onto his side, but failed. His eyes, swollen shut, still dared to look in Elias’ direction.

“Just… an...” He spat out a tooth. “Animal.”

Elias stared at him for a long moment, then smiled. He looked down at his feet and nodded, then chuckled shook his head slowly. Animal. That was a familiar one. He’d been called that more than once. Just a wild animal. A mad dog. A raging beast that needed put down. His tongue hit the back of his teeth and he chuckled, and nodded.

The other ponies in the tent remained frozen, some eyes locked on the battered Lionheart, while others sat squarely on his well bloodied chest. Elias didn’t look toward Luna, although he could feel her eyes on him. The enraged part of him knew that he would cave if he looked at her, that he would stop. It didn’t want to stop, it never wanted to stop, not while scum like Lionheart kept breathing. The unicorn’s venomous words bouncing around his head, the enraged part of his mind was easily able to keep the reins, and he rolled his neck from side to side.

His eyes flicked to rest on Lionheart’s battered body, and he moved forward. Flipping the pony on his back, Elias delivered a punch to the unicorn’s gut to drive the air from his lungs. As Lionheart gagged and started to choke, Elias’ hands wrapped around his throat and he squeezed, pressing the unicorn against the table.

He bared his teeth as instinct forced Lionheart to respond, swinging blindly, even with his broken limb, to try to break the human’s iron hold. Elias felt his face twitch as he savored the frail, ineffectual swings at him. Lionheart’s face quickly turned blue, and his already weak blows grew weaker, his hooves clopping softly on the table as he blacked out.

Elias released the unicorn’s throat and leaned down, listening as a wheezing breath rattled in his chest. He then stepped back, drawing the canteen from his belt and un-screwing the top. He dumped the water on Lionheart’s face, watching as the faint breathing became sputtering as the unicorn rocketed into the waking world. The bottle emptied just as Lionheart tried to roll over and Elias tossed it to the side before grabbing Lionheart’s tail, dragging him back across the table and onto his belly. As he reached for his hand-axe, the unicorn squirmed, trying to escape. Elias was forced to keep both hands on him to keep in place, and the constant motion quickly drew his ire.

Elias grabbed the back of Lionheart’s head, earning him a gurgle of terrified protest which quickly morphed into a squeal of pain as he slammed the unicorn’s muzzle into the table. When Lionheart continued to squirm, Elias did it again. As another tooth clattered away, Lionheart seemed to get the message, and he fell still, shivering in place.

Elias again reached for his hand-axe, then paused. He was getting ahead of himself. He couldn’t well spread the unicorn’s wings without a long cut. He needed a knife. He reached behind his back but found his dagger missing. He didn’t know where he’d left it, but didn’t much care. He was surrounded by ponies he’d had armed and armored. Knives were aplenty.

He extended a hand, using the other to press down on Lionheart’s neck, keeping him pinned.

“Knife.”

The growled word was met with silence, and a total absence of movement. Elias waited patiently for a few seconds, his breathing like a waterfall in his ears. Why was it so loud? Why was it so quiet?

He glanced back, glaring at the first pony he saw, a fiery-maned unicorn clutching a bloodied muzzle. His open palm pointed toward her, and he repeated;

Knife.”

The mare stared at his hand, then looked up and met his eyes. She flinched back, shaking her head slowly as she crept backward until her rump touched the tent wall. Elias bared his teeth and looked to the next legionary, an earth pony.

“Give me your knife,” Elias growled.

The earth pony’s eyes also held a trace of fear, but he was able to buck up, and he took a step forward, shaking his head.

“General, let’s go outside and get you fixed up. He’s had enough.”

Elias hissed and released his hold on Lionheart’s neck, stomping toward one of the other legionaries.

“Fucking cowards, scared of a little blood.”

The pony shivered as his shadow stole the light from her face, and he didn’t ask this time, he simply snatched the knife from her sword belt and tore it free of its sheathe. He turned back toward Lionheart, only to find the earth pony blocking his way.

“That’s enough,” the gray earth pony said. “I’ll have the legionaries take him away and tie him to a bed, but no more. You’re going to kill him at this rate.”

Elias’ lips curled in a sneer.

“Of course I’m going to kill him, it’s what he deserves.” He spun the knife in his hand. “But first I’m going to cut him open, and slowly carve him apart, so that for every single pony he’s gotten killed, he feels a thousand times the pain and fear that they had to suffer through.” He jerked his head to the side. “Now move. He’s been pain free for too long.”

The earth pony spread his hooves out, his tail lashing with nervous anticipation.

“No.”

Elias’ bad eye twitched.

“I’m going to make a blood eagle out of him because he’s a traitor.” He pointed the knife blade at the earth pony. “Do you want the same treatment?”

The earth pony slowly shook his head.

“General, you’re not yourself. Put down the knife and let’s go outside, then we can discuss an appropriate-”

Elias snarled and stepped forward, lashing out with the knife. The earth pony dipped back, a flash of surprise in his eyes. Before Elias could swing again, the earth pony sprang forward and tackled him, his forelegs locking around Elias’ knife hand. The human bared his teeth at the pony and tried to wrench his arm free, but the earth pony’s grip was iron clad. The earth pony bit Elias’ hand just hard enough to force his grip to loosen.

As the knife fell away, Elias curled his other fist and rammed into the earth pony’s gut. The pony grunted as the air was driven from his lungs, and he curled up, trying to protect his belly. Elias yanked his arm free, then shoved the pony away. He rolled to his feet and stomped on the pony’s ribs, earning another pained grunt, then bent down and took the knife from the pony’s sword belt. The earth pony wheezed and reached out to stop him, earning him another kick, this time to the muzzle. Elias spit on the pony, then turned back toward Lionheart. The unicorn hadn’t moved much, though he was once more trying to crawl his way across the table.

Elias took a moment, tilting his head and watching the unicorn futilely try to paw his way to freedom. As Lionheart let out a particularly loud whimper, Elias tilted his head the other way and tossed the knife in his hand. With a flick of his wrist, the knife thudded into the table, pinning Lionheart’s tail to the oaken surface. The unicorn whimpered again as his next tug was met with resistance, and his broken hind leg milled uselessly. Elias giggled and shook his head, his rage briefly tampered by the joy he felt watching Lionheart suffer.

“I’m going to enjoy this.”

As he took a step forward another body barred his path, this one slightly taller than the rest. Bandages held back a wet red stain, but while there were lingering traces of confusion in the pony’s eyes, there was also an immense amount of pleading. A hoof pressed on his chest as the mare hopped onto her hind legs so that she was nearer to his eye level.

“Elias, please stop,” the mare said. “This-”

Elias growled and pushed forward, forcing the mare to step quickly backward.

“I am tired of you all protecting this cowardly, venomous piece of shit,” he snarled, his eyes flicking to the still squirming unicorn. “And I’m going to send a message that everyone will understand about what happens to traitors.”

“Elias, my friend, please do not, I don’t seek to protect Lionheart. He can burn for all he’s done.” Luna said. That caused the human to pause, and he met Luna’s eyes. She smiled and one of her hooves rose, gently stroking his cheek. “I seek to protect you my friend. You do not deserve this, your legionaries do not deserve this. Please, let us go to the healing tent, rest with your ponies. Leave Lionheart to my sister, she shall see him punished in full. Tonight, there has been enough.”

Elias felt his bad eye twitch.

“Enough?” His voice rumbled in a deep growl. “He hasn’t begun to be punished, and your weak sister is just going to lock him up. He deserves to die.”

Luna winced, and Elias felt a touch of pressure on his chest as she tried to push him a step back.

“Elias, let us be away from this. I know he has hurt you-”

“Hurt me? Is that what you think this is about?” Elias bellowed, causing Luna to flinch again. “I could give a fuck that he tried to have me killed, he isn’t the first, and he won’t be the last. The worst I’d do for trying to kill me would be slitting his throat.” Elias jabbed a finger at Lionheart’s back. “That piece of shit scum got ponies killed, my ponies. He nearly got you killed, Luna. So don’t try to calm me down, don’t try to get me to walk away like I’m out of my mind. I know exactly what I want to do to him.”

He stepped forward, and this time, Luna couldn’t step backward quick enough. She let out a small yelp as she fell to the side on four hooves. Some small part of him immediately tried to apologize, but it was consumed by towering fiery spirals of rage as spittle started flying from his lips.

“You say that’s enough, but it’s never enough until he’s dead in the most agonizing ways ever possible.”

His eyes flicked toward Lionheart again, and his feet moved forward, but hooves seized around his waist and yanked him back. As Elias snarled and reared back his elbow to break Granite’s muzzle, the other ponies in the tent finally leapt into action. Hooves seized his arms and chest and pulled him backward, yelling out a dozen conflicting things, from orders to hold him tight, to trying to calm the human down. Unable to throw fists, Elias began throwing words.

“I’ll kill him!” he bellowed. “How many lives he’s taken, I’ll fucking kill him and smile while I do it!”

“Elias please, you’re going to hurt yourself,” Luna continued to plead. “We will deal with Lionheart, please, just calm-”

“That’s not enough,” Elias lurched free for just a moment, spitting his words directly in the alicorn’s face. Hooves again seized him and pulled him back. “I want him dead, and I want to be the one who kills him. I want to feel him die with my bare hands. If I get anything out of this stupid, miserable life, it’ll be the feeling of his heart stopping, of his neck snapping like a twig in my fists, because I won’t let your weak-willed sister put him away to try and “help” him.”

The ponies pulled him back another step despite Elias straining with all his might to move forward again. He wouldn’t let the unicorn survive, he had to get to him and make him hurt.

“Elias,” Luna attempted to soothe, lowering her voice and taking a step closer to the fighting human. “I can assure you, that once we are back in Canterlot, Lionheart will face the full punishment for his crimes, but you need to calm down, or it will color a trial in a bad light, and he will be seen as sympathetic to those not here.”

“Let me go!” he snarled in Pyrelight’s face. The mare’s eyes closed, but she continued to cling tight to him. Elias bared his teeth and looked again toward Luna. “A trial? Sometimes a piece of shit is a piece of shit Luna, and they need to die in the most terrifying, horrible way imaginable so all the other little pieces of shit stay in line. He doesn’t need a trial, he needs to be dead or all the other little pieces of shit will know they can get away with whatever they like and you’ll just slap their wrist and put them in a comfy cell.”

Luna swallowed, her eyes teary as she reached out and gingerly touched his heaving chest.

“Elias, enough. Please. This is over.”

His face twitched as his eyes flicked all around. More ponies had flooded the tent, likely drawn by the noise, and they stood between him and Lionheart. He couldn’t fight through them all, not without killing some. That fact only caused his anger to burn hotter and he yanked himself free of the ponies holding him to scream wordlessly into the alicorn’s face.

She recoiled, and ponies moved between them as well, nervous eyes flicking back and forth between the pair. Deep in his chest, Elias felt a pang of hurt, chased quickly by further fury.

“Fucking cowards,” he spat, his mismatched gaze scanning the ponies for a single set of eyes willing to meet his. “Rely on the human for all your dirty work, have him make all the hard choices, take all the risks, but when the blood starts flowing a little too much, has a bit too little glory, suddenly you turn your noses up.”

He spat a red glob of phlegm at Luna’s hooves, then glared at the alicorn, daring her to complain, or try to argue his point. The mare simply stared at him with pained sadness in her tear-filled eyes. The look was enough for him to turn away, the pain in his chest growing.

“I’m going outside to continue waging your war in the way that will keep your ponies safe,” he snarled over his shoulder. “No matter if you like it or not.”

His eyes flicked toward Gray Granite and he jerked his head toward the tent exit.

“Grab my weapons, and let’s go. We still have dogs to string up as bait for tomorrow.”

He made to storm out, but paused when he found he wasn’t being followed. He turned, his face still twitching as he looked back at Granite.

“Centurion? Unless you lost your hearing, I gave an order. I expect you to follow it.”

Granite remained still for a moment, his hoof idly rubbing at his bloodied muzzle. He then took a few steps forward, stopping just before Elias.

“General, I think it would be better if you had your injuries treated and a good night of sleep. Lets postpone the ambush for a few days until we have the rest of the army.”

Elias’ hands tightened into fists, and the legionaries around them moved closer.

“Do not.”

Granite winced, but pressed on, talking quickly.

“We’ve made too much noise, and if changelings are already working with the minotaurs, they’ll know about the ambush. It’s better to wait, rest up and rethink our-”

“Fucking coward!” Elias roared.

Pila immediately dropped and pointed his way, keeping him at arm’s length, but Granite immediately pushed them down, whirling on the legionaries.

“Put your weapons away!” he snapped. “General Bright and I are discussing strategy, nothing more.” He fixed the ponies with a glare as he turned to face the human once again. “I’m not afraid-”

He grunted as a fist smashed into his cheek. The spears again blocked Elias from coming closer, and this time Granite didn’t stop them, instead staring up at Elias with tears in his eyes as he rubbed his cheek. Elias felt more pain in his chest, but continued ignoring it.

“The troops will be ready by dawn tomorrow to execute an ambush or I will have all deserters executed,” Elias said, his fists, clenching and unclenching. “Since you’ve decided that this is a vacation where we sit and do nothing, you can sit back with the reserves and watch the real legionaries do the hard work you pitiful little coward. Storm Chaser will be my second, and Ice Blossom will command the other half of the ambush. You will remain in the rear, and you will do nothing.” His gaze flicked up to the other legionaries filling the tent. “And you can keep this lot with you. You wretched little cowards can do all the sitting you want.”

Ears wilted, and eyes were downcast. Granite in particular shrank low to the ground, and tears fell to the dirt. Elias sneered at the ponies and let out a snort, then nodded toward the moaning Lionheart.

“Now since you love him so much, go kiss the duke’s boo boos. Give him a hug maybe. Maybe that will fix the mountain of dead that you’d let sit unpunished at his hooves.”

With a final huff, Elias turned and stormed away, leaving the tent in silence.

Nobody spoke for a long few moments, but eventually Granite got to his hooves, sniffing and rubbing the tears from his eyes.

“To work ponies,” he mumbled. “Pyrelight, get Lionheart treated, then I want him in a cage. A small one. Keep him by the river, hopefully it’ll rain and he’ll get washed away.”

The unicorn nodded and she nudged another legionary to help her drag Lionheart away. The battered stallion let out a cry of pain as they dragged him off the table, but if the pair cared, they didn’t show it. They let his broken leg drag in the grass as they pulled him to the healing tent. Granite limped over to the table, wincing and rubbing at his ribs where he’d been stomped on. He took Elias’ weapons and set them in his sword belt, letting out a mumble of thanks as one of his legionaries slipped his knife back into it’s sheathe.

He drew his cleaning rag and his canteen out, then started scraping at the blood staining the table. Absentmindedly he said;

“Everyone back to your posts, or back to bed. We need to be ready for the ambush General Bright is getting prepared, and it will be less stress on his head if he returns to find ponies rested and ready. Luna knows…” he coughed and cleared his head, doing his best not to glance at the blue alicorn standing silently to the side. “Celestia knows he has enough stress as it is.”

“Centurion, that wasn’t stress,” one of the ponies said. “You can’t believe that that-”

Granite whirled on the mare and snarled, earning him a flinch from the remaining ponies in the tent.

“You’d better believe I do. General Bright has had to deal with treason, the deaths of several legionaries, and the death of one of his best friends. If you think he’s any less than out of his mind with worry and stress about keeping the rest of us safe, then I’m not really sure why you’re wearing red.”

The mare gulped, and she bowed her head.

“S-sorry. I just… I’ve never seen him like that. He… He didn’t even seem to realize he was talking to his ponies. The way he attacked you...”

Granite sighed and nudged the mare toward the tent exit.

“He was holding back when he hit me.” His ribs again ached, as if punctuating the lie, but he pressed on. “It’s just stress, don’t worry too much. He’ll come back and apologize once he’s cooled off and some things have gone right. Let’s just help him out with that, yeah?”

He looked to the other remaining legionaries in the tent, and though some still had some doubt in their eyes, they nodded, and most moved to leave as well. Granite smiled and nudged the mare out.

“Get some rest. He’s probably not going to remember any faces but mine, so I’ll make sure everypony is still assigned with their battlebuddies, don’t worry. Everything is going to be fine.”

The mare sighed, some disbelief still in her eyes as well, but she nodded and trudged off toward her tent. Gray Granite paused as the mare departed, and he vaguely realized that he had learned something about Elias; he’d learned why he never stopped moving.

All of the pain of the encounter, especially the human’s harsh, venomous words, caught up with him and he fell back onto his rump. Tears welled at the corners of his eyes, but he wiped them away and hardened his heart. Elias wouldn’t want him crying, in fact, he’d extended an olive branch, slight though it was. Elias had wanted his help, and only after he’d been refused had he gotten personal with him… Granite sighed and tapped his forehead with a hoof.

“Stupid,” he muttered. “He wanted a friend with him and you said no. How can you be so stupid?”

“You acted out of worry, not stupidity,” Luna said, trotting over to sit beside him. “You proposed a plan to remain at his side and help him rest. He will recognize your attempt to help with time to cool down. Elias didn’t mean his words, he is simply as you say; over-stressed. He believes himself beset on all sides because of Lionheart, and…” She moaned and held a hoof to her chest. Steel Scalpel quickly moved before her and charged his horn, the magic flickering slightly.

“Sorry,” he said. “Just a little… rattled. Elias… I’ve been on the receiving end of his anger, but that was worse. Much worse.”

“Worse is an understatement,” Granite mumbled. “He didn’t ever stop wanting to kill Lionheart. Not even at the end. He still wants to kill him I imagine.” He sniffled slightly. “And he… it was like Elias didn’t see me. He was my first friend because he noticed me. Seeing him look right through me… I almost wanted to let him kill Lionheart. If that’s what got my friend back...”

“Do not think on Elias’ actions. They were those of a pony in unimaginable pain, his emotional wounds still fresh and now ripped anew. He should be forgiven, should you be willing.” Luna groaned, and her hoof fell to her chest. “Keep a close guard on Lionheart. I have no doubts that he is guilty of the crimes Elias has… punished him for, but we need evidence, and we cannot draw memories from a corpse. Once we return to Canterlot, the court mages shall find the truth, and he shall be punished. If that is by the first public hanging in a millennia, then so be it.”

Both Granite and Scalpel looked to the glowering princess with wide eyes, and she snorted in reply.

“My banishment lasted both an eternity, and a few moments. It was one long dream, at least in my memory. I recall well the public executions we conducted in the old castle, and if Lionheart is guilty of what he’s been accused, he deserves no less. Elias’ methods of punishment are merely more… brutal, than I think the common ponies will accept.” Her lip curled and she winced in pain as Scalpel’s magic sputtered again. “A traitorous murderer, however? Elias was right in one thing. A clear example of how that is punished is needed from time to time. Lionheart will be such, of that you, and he, have my word. Merely the method by which that example will be made must change.”

She let out a wheezing sigh, and the energy left her hunched and small as her anger faded.

“I must rest. Centurion Granite, see to the camp. Elias will return to us in his own time. Hopefully with cooled temper that we might apologize for having to stand in his way, and then guide him toward the proper path.”

Granite nodded slowly.

“Of course, Princess. I’ll make sure everything is ready.”

He rose stiffly and offered a bow, then trotted from the tent as Scalpel led Luna to bed.

*****

The rope burned his hands as he yanked the knot tight. Blood dripped from the dead diamond dog’s belly-wound onto his arm, and he shook it off, taking a step back to make sure the corpse wouldn’t fall off the tree trunk before moving on to the next. Already he’d strung up most of the dogs his troops had gathered, as well as put the minotaur corpses on spikes. Their heads sat at the edge of the forest, placed to draw all eyes toward a path strewn with corpses. Though much of the blood had been left behind in the clearing, the minotaur corpses were still fresh enough to leave splatters here and there, painting the perfect grisly picture for his soon to be guests.

A pony was watching him. He wasn’t sure why, but their silence was driving him mad. The legionaries had left the wagons on his orders, apparently unawares of his… outburst, in camp. They’d learn soon enough however, and they’d turn their backs too. It was what all of them would do. It was better that they did. He’d known that from the start, and had stupidly allowed them to remain close. Luna was against him now. He’d seen the hurt in her eyes, but she had defended the traitor, so he supposed she’d finally decided to cut ties with the beast she’d so foolishly let into her castle in favor of one of her own.

He chuckled at that. All of Lionheart’s talk had apparently gotten to the ponies he’d thought his soldiers, his friends. The unicorn had made decisions that resulted in hundreds of deaths, yet the human who was rightly punishing him for such crimes was the wild animal deserving of ridicule and expulsion. He still couldn’t quite wrap his head around that particular leap in logic, but he supposed it didn’t matter. Luna was in even less of a position to give orders than before, so he had time to complete his mission before more barricades to success arrived. He hesitated only momentarily before raising his hammer to start driving the nails into the dog. How were Night Flash and Book Binder going to react to this little incident…

He shook his head and kept going, nailing one arm to the tree, then the other. The dog’s throat was cut, so there was little he had to do to keep him upright. Elias quickly grabbed another corpse from the wagon and pulled it to another vacant tree, pointedly ignoring the pony who was still sitting with eyes locked on his every movement. He just needed to finish. All of the rage and hatred he felt for Lionheart was perfect for his bloody mess of work, and even better, there was the intimidation factor. When the minotaurs saw a gore covered human charging them with the hatred he had for traitors, he was sure some of them would at least hesitate, and hesitation was deadly. Dawn was near, and he wondered briefly if he’d hear their cries of anguish from camp.

His fist clenched tighter around the hilt of the hammer as he drove in more nails, imagining each blow caved in Lionheart’s skull, the unicorn wailing in pain, over and over again…

His bad eye twitched as his rage started to climb again. He couldn’t think about the traitor. He’d do something stupid then, maybe even drive his legionaries even further away. With what he’d done to Granite...

He bared his teeth as he finished with the dog and moved back to the wagon, dragging one of the last diamond dogs out, pulling the smelly beast over to another tree. Gray Granite was a coward. It was that simple. What had resulted was because of his cowardice and no more. That’s what Elias had been repeating in his head for the past hour or so at least, trying to find some reason, some excuse to justify striking one of his best friends. Granite was one of the most loyal, had questioned him the least… Was even now waiting with more kind words about rest and waiting for the rest of the army. Just silently watching him work, the idiot having declined in front of his legionaries, now come to just watch. Not to help, not to apologize or even offer his cowardly words, he came to watch Elias break his back stringing up a dozen or more corpses.

“The least you could do is help,” he growled. “Otherwise, go back to camp. You need to be ready for the ambush.”

The pony said nothing for a long moment, and Elias rolled his eyes, his hammer strikes falling harder.

“Oh let me guess; I should rest? Should take the day off, go sit by the river? Maybe waste some time hugging frail ponies who will die if I don’t kill all of these fucking cows?”

Elias glanced over his shoulder, the pony still shrouded in shadow as the dawn crept across the grass.

“Because you know that’s whats going to happen if I can’t break the siege, right? Do you think the minotaurs will just let us leave? If we turn away, its because we’re weak. Then its another two week slog hauling wounded ponies at a snails pace while getting harassed by whatever idiot decides to take us on.” He scoffed and shook his head. “Idiot. No, I’m the idiot. Whoever attacked a retreating army with relentless ambushes would just be following textbook, and while I’m sure they don’t do a lot of reading, I’m more than confident Steel Horn is smart enough to come up with that plan, and because I do something stupid like care, I won’t be able to effectively counter. Can’t leave the wounded as bait, can’t entrench, because we’ll starve and he’ll only draw reinforcements from dogs, and changelings, and whatever else scum creep in these damn trees. Trio of princesses ripe for the picking? Fuck, I’m surprised we haven’t had more attacks than just the minotaurs. It wasn’t like we were sneaky, it wasn’t like we did something smart like use airships, or whatever else. No, we had to make a fucking statement. Had to prove Equestria is strong, despite the fact that said strength has been in diplomacy for the last thousand years!”

He let out a loud exhale, his breath short, his chest hurting slightly. The nights exertion and injuries started to creep up on him, but he snarled, trying to force more adrenaline into his system with pure rage alone. The pony still hadn’t said a thing, still hadn’t moved.

“Well?” he challenged. “Are you going to say something? Tell me how I’m an evil bastard who deserves nothing? How I went too far punishing that scum fuck, sub-human piece of traitorous filth? What? Why are you just sitting there?”

He still received no answer, the pony remaining dead silent as the orange rays of sunlight crept across his feet, truly showing how much blood stained the grass. Elias felt his face twitch, the hammer bouncing in his hand. His breath quickened and rationality faded as silence continued to reign.

“Do something,” he growled. “Say your piece, scream at me, belittle me, just do something. I will not be judged in silence.”

The pony said nothing, and that sent his building rage to its maximum in an instant. He whirled on his heel and launched the hammer at the pony.

“Will you fucking do something?” he screeched.

The dawn light touched the pony just as the hammer left his hands, and Elias could only let out a gasp as he beheld a pegasus with crimson fur. The hammer passed through the pony and he vanished, leaving Elias alone. In the long orange rays of dawn, Elias looked down at himself, finding hands and armor caked in blood, old and new, flaking black and dripping red. He looked up again to where the pegasus… His throat choked up, and he felt tears try to blur his vision, but just as quickly, he let out a bellow.

“You think I care what you think?” he screamed into the empty air. “You’re just like the rest! I should have made you stay home, should have known your worthless ass was going to get killed the second we saw a fight.” The trees started to fill with birdsong, as if to show that the world itself was ignoring him. Elias let out a wordless scream of frustration, tearing a knife from his belt and plunging it over and over into the corpse before him, mangling its belly beyond recognition.

Elias staggered, suddenly out of breath and soaked in sweat. He fell to his knees, holding onto the tree to stay upright as he continued to sweat, his eyes wide and locked onto the grass. He… It was nothing. Just some phantom, some hallucination that his crazed mind had conjured. It wasn’t the first time, hell, he was surprised that he hadn’t yet had his other half come out screaming and whining. Scarlet… Scarlet was gone. He’d died because of his actions, and because of Lionheart. He wasn’t coming back in any way, shape, or form. Even if his spirit was lost, Luna would have seen to getting him to the afterlife. What business could the pegasus possibly still have…?

Elias growled and his grip on his knife tightened as he shot to his feet, again shouting into the trees.

“Leave me alone Scarlet! I don’t need some ghost haunting me. Go to your heaven, have a happy afterlife.” An afterlife I won’t get, he thought. His lip curled at the selfish thought, and he again screamed. “I don’t need your help you stupid bird! I don’t need anybody’s help to see this through! I am the best killer this world has seen, and I will kill until I win!” He wiped his knife off and tucked it back into his belt before stalking forward, snatching up the hammer, throwing it into one of the wagons as the first alarmed cry left the minotaurs’ stockade. He glared across the field at them, a specter painted in blood, eager to spill more. His hands clenched and he stared for a long few moments as large shadows moved across the stockades.

Turning away, he continued muttering under his breath.

“Just leave me alone. Let me get this done, and then I can leave everyone to go back to how things were before I came along.”

A chill breeze made the hairs on his neck rise, and a voice, almost sad, whispered in his ear.

It’s not your fault…’

‘Yes it is,’ another voice hissed. ‘Every single death has been a result of your actions...’

Elias continued moving into the trees, his bad eye twitching as he did his best to ignore the pair of voices now warring in his head.

Author's Note:

From the April Fools chapter, some fan art for the alternate universe curtesy of Silent Wing & artist Tigress

PreviousChapters Next