• Published 15th Jul 2019
  • 15,697 Views, 1,588 Comments

The Centurion Project - TheEighthDayofNight



Elias "Rubrum Aquilae" Bright, the former leader of the Legio I Americana, on the run from his past, finds himself thrown into the conflicts of Equestria.

  • ...
51
 1,588
 15,697

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 64: The March Continues

Elias bared his teeth, enjoying the splatter of blood that reached his armor as the whip drew back.

“Your loyalty isn’t buying you any favors,” he spat, sending the whip snapping into Shattered Shield’s bloodied back. “Do you really want twenty more lashes, or are you finally willing to tell me the truth?”

The unicorn whimpered, slack in the bonds that kept him tied to a post just outside the castra. Almost half the army was outside watching the torture. He couldn’t tell if they were impressed or not, nor did he really care. It just felt good to inflict some pain on those who deserved it. And he knew they did. There wasn’t evidence yet, but he knew.

“General?” some called.

Elias ignored it, sending the whip snapping again into Shattered Shield’s back. The stallion cried away, his back flayed open and bloody. The scene shifted just slightly, flickering with scents of ash and iron. Elias bared his teeth and drew his hand back. Suddenly he was closer, a whip no longer in his hand, replaced by a hand-axe.

“General!”

Elias jolted awake and looked up to find Pyrelight and Snowball standing above him. He looked around, found the camp moving about as normal in preparation to begin their march toward Saddle Arabia once more. Tents were being taken down and loaded into wagons. Rows of wounded ponies awaited the same treatment, with some idle hooves holding lengths of tarp over them to provide shade from the early morning sun. Clouds were beginning to roll in though, and from all reports, they were supposed to stay above their heads for the remaining duration of the march.

He looked down at his chest to find his armor shiny and mended, if a bit dusty. He still had a few bandages gracing his body, but they were clean and fresh. He had finally cleaned up, napped for a few hours, then visited Scalpel early, but away from the healing tent. He couldn’t bear to use the bed Scarlet had died in. Scalpel had offered no complaints about the change in scenery, and had happily healed the cuts on Elias’ face.

Elias rubbed at his eyes and sat up. He hadn’t gotten back to sleep until later in the morning; there had been so much to do at the time. Supplies were still being reorganized, orders still needed distributed, the guard shift had been shorthanded… He had found every excuse to keep busy, and when the princesses finally woke and Luna started giving him looks of concern, he had used the excuse of needing sleep to skip breakfast. He had requested to remain undisturbed until they were ready to leave, but…

“What is it?” he grumbled, brushing the dust from his armor.

“We found a body, that Detection guy Duke Lionheart brought with him? He’s dead.”

“Alright,” Elias sighed. “Do we know how he died? We’ll need to quarantine ponies if that overcharge thing got airborne.”

“No, it isn’t that,” Snowball said. “Healer Kind Heart has successfully identified and buried all the contaminated blood bags.”

“It was blunt force trauma actually,” Pyrelight said. “And we already have the guilty party under arrest. They confessed to it before we found the body.”

“Who?” Elias asked, beginning to stand. “I thought I ordered the rumor spread that this was an accident. If some idiot in my legion just murdered what could be an innocent-”

“It was Dukes Lionheart, Shattered Shield, and Dragon-Heart actually.”

Elias paused as he reached for his ruck sack, then looked with incredulous eyes at Pyrelight.

“What?”

Snowball nodded in confirmation.

“Centurion Granite didn’t believe them either when they went to him, but, yes. They confessed to killing Precise Detection, but are only willing to talk to you about it. Centurion Granite locked them up in the stockade with full restraints for now.”

Elias chewed on his tongue for a moment. He was certain they were responsible for sabotaging the blood bags; it wasn’t a minotaur, that was for sure, so what were they playing?

He got to his feet and shouldered his bag.

“Let’s go see what they have to say then. Unless it’s a confession, there’s not much I can do without evidence, and we’re not getting the spell-signature on those tainted bags analyzed until we’re home again.”

Snowball and Pyrelight fell in beside him, saying nothing as they passed through the camp. Elias paused a few times, checking to make sure tents were being packed away correctly, pointing out loose, potentially dangerous pieces of armor, and occasionally just checking in on ponies, making sure their wounds had healed completely and that they were fed and as happy as circumstances could allow. He was met with touches of nervousness from the Solar Guards, but Lunar Guards, and legionaries welcomed the spots of attention with smiles. The sight of happier ponies warded away some of the darker thoughts that he would soon have to deal with, but he did what he was practiced at; shutting the grief away in a tight little ball. It was going to cripple him later, but for the moment, he needed to be happy with what he had, and he needed to focus on keeping those happy spots safe.

Safety measures were at the forefront of his thoughts as he laid eyes on the trio of former generals. Lionheart and Dragon-Eye sat tall in their chains, while Shattered Shield seemed to hide in Lionheart’s shadow, his eyes on his chained hooves. Blood covered all three, and even at a distance Elias could smell iron. He stopped before the stockade gate and crossed his arms. Granite offered him a silent salute, joining Snowball at his side.

“So,” Elias started. “I heard you killed someone. Care to explain why before I have you hanged?”

Lionheart met his eyes, keeping his chin high.

“We heard rumor of sabotage, and I knew of only one pony who had the magic ability to perform such. While I hate you, I do not want to see the princesses harmed. While your ruffians managed to clean the wagon free of magical filth, I decided to take action and end the source, so I informed my fellows and we set off, then turned ourselves in when we had finished.” He rattled his chains. “Clearly I made no attempt to hide. We did what we had to.”

“Did you now,” Elias deadpanned. “Centurion, who let these three out of the tent?”

The earth pony swallowed nervously.

“I… don’t know at the moment General, but I can go find out.”

“Find out, distribute thirty lashes to each lazy guard, then double the watch. This doesn’t happen again, or I will give you thirty lashes per escaped prisoner. I give you guard details because I trust you to represent my legion. When something like this happens, it reflects poorly on you, which reflects poorly on my legion. I take that personally, and I thought you knew that.” The earth pony shrank under the harsh words. “Do better Centurion, or I will find someone who can. Am I clear?”

Granite gulped, then an angry look entered his eyes, and he straightened, offering a sharp nod.

“Yes General. It won’t happen again, you have my word.”

Elias nodded over his shoulder, dismissing the earth pony to stomp away, glowering as he tramped toward the center of camp with purpose. Snowball shuddered and smacked his lips.

“Wow. I wouldn’t call that a pep talk, but it definitely inspired him.”

Elias held back a smile.

“Good, it means he’s taking it seriously. I prefer lashing my ponies with threatening words over the whip any day.”

His eyes turned back to the trio of unicorns in the stockade.

“Back on task; what evidence do you have that Precise Detection poisoned the medical supplies? The only reason you three are alive is because I need evidence to convict you of cowardice, and now you’ve killed my best witness for what you claim is sabotage. At best you brought him along and he killed two ponies. Ponies, mind you, that I considered close personal friends.” He leaned in, his teeth baring. Shattered Shield shrank low to the ground and whimpered, while Dragon-Eye looked nervously to Lionheart. “At worst, you just covered your cowardly tracks, and since you’re tried between a jury of your peers, aka, me, you’re going to die, and soon. So please, evidence. How did you go about slipping my guards to find that Precise Detection was a traitor?”

Lionheart snorted.

“Well to start, reduce the lashes given to ‘your guards’ to twenty, because only Shattered Shield and I slipped out. Dragon-Eye remained behind to give the tent some liveliness while we collected information after hearing about the incident in the healing tent.”

Elias’ eyes narrowed. Lionheart relaxed from his stiff posture ever so slightly.

“I am sorry for your loss General Bright,” he said. “It is not easy to lose what one cares about, and you have my condolences.”

“Save them,” Elias spat. “I’ll pull a tooth for every word you just spoke if I find out you’re the one responsible for this.”

Lionheart blinked calmly at the threat, not at all flinching. If he was just reading the cowardly unicorn, Elias would almost be convinced that he was telling the truth, but he wasn’t. Shattered Shield let out another whimper. When Elias’ eyes focused on him, he refused to look up. Elias again met Lionheart’s eyes.

“What evidence do you have?”

“Nothing on paper,” Lionheart said, calm as could be, “but he was a well known poison specialist, certainly the only pony talented enough in this army to do such an act. He also had the motivation; he just lost his most prestigious position in my employ and made me his enemy by turning tail to you. Perhaps he saw something in you that he feared would come back to haunt him and wished to get back in my good graces. Perhaps he just wanted to see this army, and by extension, you, fail. I couldn’t wait to ask, not with two ponies already dead. I acted, just as you would have in my shoes.” He smiled. “That is you way, is it not General? To act, even without the permission of your superiors?”

Elias felt his bad eye twitch.

“So you have nothing. You committed a murder, and you dragged these two idiots along for the ride, is that right?” His eyes flicked to Dragon-Eye. “You looked rather happy when I walked over, what did he tell you to make you stomp a pony to death?”

Dragon-Eye shifted uncomfortably.

“I… H-he said that his servant betrayed us. That he poisoned the medical supplies…”

He looked over to Lionheart with open concern. Elias waited for Lionheart to reveal anything, to shush, or wave away, or threaten the other unicorn, but the unicorn merely met his analyzing gaze with calm. Elias looked back to Dragon-Eye.

“And that was enough to kill? Someone else’s word? His-” he jabbed a finger at Lionheart “-word? The pony that got you put in chains, that’s who you decided to trust?”

Dragon-Eye’s ears flopped, and he looked up with wide, confused eyes.

“Y-yes,” he said. “D-Duke Lionheart has been a family friend for years. I- I trust him.” He swallowed and tried to again straighten. “If he said his servant was guilty, then he was.”

Elias stared down the unicorn, then shrugged.

“If that’s how you feel, the blood’s on your hooves, and you confessed right alongside him.”

His eyes settled on the final, and hiding unicorn.

“What about you Shattered Shield? Do you trust Lionheart? Do you like the blood staining your fur? How did you like your first kill?”

Lionheart’s calm expression finally broke into a scowl.

“That’s inappropriate.”

Elias sneered at the unicorn crouching down before him.

“Why? You seemed so cavalier about it a moment ago, and since you’re doing things my way, it must have felt good,” his eyes shifted to the quivering unicorn again, “right Shattered Shield? You served justice, right? Come on out and tell me about how heroic you are.”

The unicorn shook his head, tears streaming down his face as he tried to cover his head with his hooves. Elias snorted and met Lionheart’s eyes.

“That’s what I thought. Unlike you, I’m going to find evidence before I inflict justice, but rest assured, I’m keeping a careful tally, and you will beg to die when I’m through with you. Do try not to make it worse for yourselves, because I can get quite creative.”

“You’re an animal,” Lionheart said.

Elias leaned closer, putting a wild look in his eyes.

“You’d better hope you don’t find out what I am. Pray that I come up with an excuse to lay the blame on Precise Detection, because if I found out that you did this-” he jabbed his finger at the unicorn “-I am going to flay you alive. There won’t be a body to identify.”

He drew back and stood.

“Adiutor Snowball, draw up the guard detail, get these three tied to their wagon. Only then can they lose the leg restraints. The horn rings stay on.”

The loveling nodded and moved away silently. Elias crossed his arms, staring at the three for a long moment, seeing if they would crack. Though Shattered Shield continued to whimper and hide, he did no more. Lionheart and Dragon-Eye continued looking confident, though Dragon-Eye was much worse at hiding his lingering doubts, his eyes flicking to the other unicorn every couple of seconds.

Elias grunted and turned away, letting his arms drop.

“You lot are lucky I have more important things to do.” He began walking away, but paused and looked over his shoulder. “Oh, and Shattered Shield, Dragon-Eye; if you’re trying to cover for Lionheart, a word of advice; you side with him, you share his punishment. You come to me, you’ll be punished, yes, but you tell me the whole truth, and nothing but, you’ll be spared somewhat. I suggest you come forward sooner rather than later, because the more you help him, the more you hurt yourself.”

He noticed Shattered Shield looking up hopefully from Lionheart’s shadow, but he quickly covered the look with a hoof, continuing to cower. Whether that was from genuine fear, or if to continue selling the idea that he was on Lionheart’s side, Elias didn’t know, nor did he care. The offer was there; information meant survival. If they came to him, then all would be well. If not, his warning would stand.

Elias walked away, satisfied with his handling of the situation.

“Auxiliary Centurion, what else needs done?”

Pyrelight opened her mouth to speak, then hesitated, looking around at the milling crowds of ponies. She cleared her throat and wiped at her muzzle with a hoof.

“I… I think the mess tent is still serving breakfast if you haven’t gotten any…”

Elias looked down at the mare, noticed immediately when she refused to meet his gaze. Hesitation was odd, and he didn’t like that his subordinates weren’t talking to him.

“Something wrong Pyrelight? Unless you’re confessing a personal treason to me, you don’t need to hide anything.”

The fiery-maned unicorn shook her head.

“N-no General, of course not! I… I can wait. Later today maybe. Or tomorrow! I can last until tomorrow…”

That only made Elias narrow his eyes more.

“Centurion…”

The mare shook her head, then took off at a fast trot, sending nervous glances over her shoulder.

“My auxiliaries are mis-stacking their ammunition General, duty calls!”

She broke into a sprint, then disappeared in the mass of ponies loading the wagons. Elias frowned after her, more than a little curious as to what she was acting skittish about.

Then his attention was elsewhere as Snowball reappeared at his side with bacon in one hoof, and the finalized marching order in another. The pair set off toward the castra gates, where the royal carriage sat, repaired and waiting its cargo.

*****

The clouds overhead rumbled with thunder as the caravan made its way deeper into minotaur territory. Before the column traveled mixed parties of scouts, drawing pegasi from every guard force. They were followed by a lightly armed force of volunteers, primarily from the legion auxiliaries. They served as a quick action force for any war-parties the scouts might have uncovered, but as they tramped through miles of dusty road, they found nothing more than scraps of armor and long-abandoned fire pits.

The lack of any kind of opposition made the march quiet, and boring, both of which were good things for the safety of the army, but given a taste of battle, having spent hours hyped up on adrenaline, some of the ponies were restless, with only the quietness of the walk and concern for their wounded fellows slowly leeching away their energy.

In one of the wagons, a thestral let out a moan, one of her hooves pushing feebly from the blanket keeping her still and safe.

“D-don’t…”

One of the ponies beside her, a unicorn with two broken legs, sat up, scooting over and gently pushing the thestral’s hoof back down.

“Shhh, you’re safe, you’re just fine General.”

Nightshade cracked her eyes, but ignored the voice trying to keep her still. She tried again to push her way free. This time her hind legs joined in the fray, kicking at her blanket.

“S-stay with… don’t go…”

The unicorn gently pressed her hoof to the thestral’s forehead and frowned.

“Hey doc!” she called forward. “This one’s getting kinda hot.”

The thestral brushed away the hoof on her forehead. It didn’t belong to her mate. He was near… somewhere. Her nose twitched as she tried to locate the stallion’s scent. It was difficult with so many ponies surrounding her, but she knew that scent by heart. She had gotten confused only once, and that was a while ago…

Nightshade squinted against blinding light. There he was! Her hooves milled faster and faster as she tried to catch up.

“W-wait… D-don’t leave…”

Another unicorn weaved through the tightly packed rows of wounded ponies. The wounded unicorn scooted away as far as she was able in the tight wagon, while the healer touched Nightshade’s forehead.

“She is a little warm, but that’s probably just the wagon. Cooling enchantment failed on this one. It’s why we used it for our moderate cases.” She tried to stop Nightshade’s milling hooves, but found no success as the thestral tried to weakly shove her away. “The delirium is a bit nerve-racking though. I’ll see if I can find a healer with a sleep spell. I’m sure General Nightshade is in more than a little pain.”

She tromped back through the wagon, her exit unnoticed by Nightshade, who was already slipping back into an uneasy sleep.

“D-don’t leave…”

Her nose continued to twitch even as her mate moved further into the blinding light. As her eyes slipped closed and her limbs fell still with exhaustion, Nightshade took comfort in the scent she could still detect.

He’s close, she thought. I’ll find him soon.

She curled up under her blanket, her wings blocking out the sights and sounds around her.

*****

“I will be watching,” the legionnaire growled at Lionheart.

The red-maned unicorn rolled his eyes.

“Do I at least get soap?”

The legionnaire continued glaring at him for a long moment, then grumbled and drew a bar wrapped in a filthy cloth from beneath his armor.

“Here,” the legionnaire grunted. “Make it quick. I have to make this trek two more times, and I want dinner while it’s still hot. If you stand in the way of that, I will make sure General Bright hears about it.”

Lionheart rolled his eyes again.

“I’m quivering in my horseshoes. You’re an even bigger fool than he is if you believe he can threaten me.”

The legionnaire shrugged, then tossed the soap bar toward Lionheart. The unicorn reeled back in confusion and thinly veiled disgust, trying vainly to catch it in his hooves. He succeeded, only to fall backwards into the river. He cursed the ring around his horn and the human who had put it there as the other pony laughed at him.

“You have five minutes,” the legionnaire said, shaking his head and turning away. “Remember, I’ll be watching.”

Lionheart shot to his hooves, growling to threaten away the laughter, but it was gone along with the pony, who had faded into the treeline in spite of his shining, silver armor. He wanted to curse the pony, to threaten him, his livelihood, but the air was already growing colder, and he desperately needed a bath after hours of yanking a tent-laden wagon through miles of dusty roads.

A chill raced up his spine, and it helped him swallow his disgust as he looked down at the soap bar. Aside from the healthiness of it, he needed to be clean for his soon-to-be reclaimed position. The princesses wouldn’t want a general that stank of road filth.

He scooped up the bar and began to lather up, washing the sweat from his fur in the relatively clean river. It was no hot spring, but at least the water wasn’t icy with winter chill yet. Judging by the yellowing leaves in the trees around him, that wasn’t far off though.

He huffed and gingerly bit into the soap bar as he turned to scrub at his hindquarters, his mind elsewhere. The human was stubborn in his stupidity, and unfortunately, that meant a good idea or two occasionally slipped through. The silver-clad guardsponies had taken to the habit of separating him from Dragon-Eye and Shattered Shield, likely to try and coerce the latter in to talking. His fellow unicorn had become withdrawn, and shifty. It was alarming how terrified of the human he was, and he knew that given enough time and pressure, he would crack. Lionheart didn’t have enough trust with Dragon-Eye to coerce him into another justice killing.

What was more was that he now had no associates to turn to. He needed to strike at the human again, but his allies had dwindled, and he was under constant watch. The guard no doubt watching from the trees was evidence of that.

Lionheart held his breath and dunked himself in the river, rubbing away the soap in his fur. He then shot up, shaking himself dry like a dog before beginning to wash his hooves.

“Oh how the mighty have fallen,” a maliciously female voice said.

Lionheart whirled, baring his teeth at the pony who dared make a mockery of him, only to shrink back when he beheld a green-eyed changeling.

“G-guard!” he called, never taking his eyes from the changeling.

The black-chitined creature chuckled and took a step forward.

“Oh my, lower than I thought,” the bug-pony taunted. “Look at you, pleading for help from your hated captor.”

Lionheart took a step backward.

“Guard!” he shouted. “Do your job you idiot and help me!”

The changeling snorted and rolled her eyes.

“Oh do stop playing innocent Duke, you have no need to fear of an alarm raised.” She glanced over her shoulder. “Oh guard!”

Lionheart watched as the guardspony slowly limped away from the tree line, swaying and stumbling under the weight of three changelings, all of whom were pouring their magic into his head. The guard stared blankly ahead, his eyes glowing with green. The changeling grinned at Lionheart.

“See? It’s just friends here.”

Lionheart suppressed a shudder and straightened. He didn’t move forward from the river though.

“Why didn’t you begin with that Chrysalis?” he said, scowling.

The changeling’s eyes flickered and she grinned.

“That’s Queen Chrysalis to you pet.” She licked her lips. “And because watching your squirm is such a delicious sight Duke Lionheart. There are few things I enjoy more than a pony pretending to not understand his situation.”

Lionheart swallowed, but continued standing up straight. It wasn’t the worst death. At least the princesses would know of his honorable fate at the hooves of their hated enemy.

“So that’s what this is? You’ve come to slaughter me in revenge?”

The changeling cackled.

“No dear Duke; in fact, I can applaud your savagery with my drone! You play changeling very well.”

Her grin didn’t diminish as she tilted her head, never blinking.

“That said, if you kill another one of my children, I will brainwash you into a loyal little lapdog for Elias Bright. My drones willingly go to their deaths for me, but that doesn’t give you the excuse to kill them on a whim.”

“It was no whim, it was a strategic cutting of ties,” Lionheart sniffed indignantly. “I had no further use for your services at the time, and had the cows done their job, I still wouldn’t.”

“Oh to be Duke Lionheart,” the changeling sneered. “A casual murderer in one hoof, honorable killer in the other. I’m sure those two ponies your magic overcharge killed were just collateral damage?”

Lionheart did shrink at that.

“How do you know about that?” he hissed.

Chrysalis snorted.

“Don’t be rude Duke. I have always produced capable infiltrators. Just because they cannot breach Elias Bright’s fortifications, doesn’t mean they can’t slip by his scouts. I hear many things-” her grin returned “-including the very interesting fact that Elias Bright is going to execute you for treason. Once he obtains his evidence of course.”

“Evidence that doesn’t exist, because there is no treason, not against Equestria,” Lionheart said. “It isn’t treason to remove a dangerous beast. Just because Princess Luna mistakenly got attached to her attack mutt, doesn’t suddenly mean it’s a docile pet. Elias Bright,” he spat, “is a violent dog that needs to be put down. He will only cause pain and suffering if he is allowed to live.”

Chyrsalis stared at him for a long moment, then pitched back her head and laughed. Lionheart shivered in the river water, and he couldn’t help but glance around. By Celestia did she have to be so loud?

“Be quiet!” he whispered. “If anyone hears you, I will be the one they blame.”

Chrysalis brought her laugh down to a chuckle.

“I wouldn’t worry Duke. My drones are watching for any ponies drawing closer, and this tasty little morsel-” she curled a hoof under the guards chin, drawing a soft moan from him “-is dreaming of a lovely little picnic with the family he intends to return to come this expedition’s end.” She smiled as the silver-clad guard met her eyes. “I think this one I’ll let go as a messenger. I need good breeders if I want a stable supply of love.”

She glanced toward Lionheart.

“But he won’t remember a thing, and we won’t leave a signature, so there is nothing to worry your pretty little head over.”

She turned away, stalking toward the forest.

“Do come out of the river Duke. We have much to talk about and precious little time to discuss it.”

“Leave me alone!” Lionheart spat, jabbing a hoof at the guard. “If that one so much as coughs wrong, I will be held accountable, and I don’t need more problems now that that wretch human has the princesses under his thumb.”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes.

“And with listening skills like yours, you’d wonder why…” Heaving a sigh, she met his glared. “I just said that my drones are on watch and that this legionnaire will not notice a thing. It will feel like he is daydreaming, and so long as you don’t ruin anything, there will be no problems.” Her eyes narrowed. “Unless you truly think betraying me a second time is a decision you’ll be alive to make.”

“N-no,” Lionheart stuttered out. “I-…”

He fell silent, closing his eyes and drawing in a deep breath. He needed to be calm and calculated, not some stuttering idiot. This was yet another diplomatic treaty with an inferior opponent, and he would come out on top. If not for his return to his proper station, but for his princess. She needed him to succeed, even if she couldn’t yet publicly admit that.

“What do you want?” he asked, opening his eyes and stalking coolly from the river.

Chrysalis smiled as he shook himself free of river water.

“Why, isn’t it obvious my friend? I want to help!”

Lionheart’s eyes narrowed.

“And how exactly can you help me?”

“Spare me the act Duke,” Chrysalis smiled, stalking around the unicorn. “You have no cards to play from your quickly shrinking prison cell. You have no allies left, and there isn’t a pony that would be caught dead helping you. I am your only option.”

Lionheart held his nose high, refusing to give anything away in his body expressions.

“So you believe, but you don’t have a good record on predicting pony behavior, now do you?”

He was pleased to see the changeling’s eyes narrow as she let out a loud snort.

“I can foalnap you now and nopony would care. They might even reward me for turning you into an obedient little drone. Wouldn’t that be a sight, Queen Chrysalis with a medal, while Duke Lionheart stays in the depths of the hive, polishing my throne.”

“Idle threats are just a sign that you’re afraid of the ace I hold,” Lionheart said, nonplussed.

Chrysalis to glare daggers at him, then she threw her head back and laughed.

“It’s good to see some heart left in your Duke. I can’t wait to see how long it lasts.”

Lionheart remained silent as the changeling queen continued to giggle. When it didn’t stop, his muzzle twisted in irritation, drawing her eyes and further laughter.

“Oh do say what’s on your mind,” she teased. “I can’t wait to see how you muck up something so simple as receiving a gift.”

“You still have not answered my question,” he growled through gritted teeth.

He recoiled as she slithered up to his side, wrapping a hoof around his barrel and tugging him close. He had to force himself not to shiver in disgust as his wet fur rubbed against her cold, chitinous hide. Chrysalis seemed to relish his discomfort, and her tongue flicked out of her mouth, dangling perilously close to his cheek.

“Since you ask Duke Lionheart,” she purred. “I just so happen to know of several tribes of mercenaries nearby that don’t take too kindly to certain ponies tramping through their lands.”

She gave him a squeeze, forcing him to look toward the guard. Lionheart couldn’t help but stare at the guard’s vacant eyes as he swayed in place. Despite being so empty, the pony seemed vaguely happy as the changelings resting on his back poured their magic into his head. Lionheart shuddered, trying to not let any intrusive thoughts surface. Changelings were notorious for their ability to manipulate thoughts and scents. Weakness in any area would make him a puppet. Luckily he knew he wasn’t weak, was in fact strong enough to resist their corruptive ways.

I also just so happen to have a newly acquired pool of bits,” she continued, whispering in his ear. “And to see my enemies weakened, I would be more than willing to lend my knowledge and my wealth, should a condition or two be met. Little things, I promise.”

Lionheart closed his eyes even as the changeling put a hoof over where a heart would be on a pony.

“What are your terms?”

He had no intention of keeping any bargains with the bug, but he had to at least consider them if he was to give an affirmative lie. Chrysalis peeled away from his side and spun to stare right into his eyes. Hers shined a brilliant green, matching her shining smile of fangs.

“I want Elias Bright dead.” Her eyes wandered up in thought. “Although having such a savage, cunning creature within my hive mind could be useful… too risky.” She met his eyes again. “Yes, dead. No matter what happens, he must die. Once he is, you will send a runner toward Saraj with the news.”

Lionheart didn’t have to lie to say;

“Gladly. Elias Bright won’t survive to see Saddle Arabia’s borders.”

Chrysalis smiled.

“I didn’t think you would take too much offense to that concession, which is why the second is far more… trying.”

She paused, as if expecting protest, but Lionheart remained silent, holding his cards tight to his chest.

“I want Elias Bright’s ponies,” she finally said. “Once he is disposed of and you have regained control of the army, you will send them out, I don’t care how. I simply want them for my own uses.”

Lionheart’s eyes narrowed.

“Unacceptable. Rabble they may be, led by a mad beast, but they volunteered for service to the princesses. I cannot sacrifice all of them.”

“What a curious choice of words,” Chrysalis breathed, fluttering her eyelids. “All of them. Very specific Duke Lionheart.”

He stood tall, even as a shiver ran up his spine. He had been married, he knew what that kind of look meant. He decidedly did not like it coming from a changeling.

“Ground must be given,” he said shortly. “I will send out an overabundance of patrols for several days to track down the “hated assassins”. Once the beast’s ponies are exhausted, I will make sure there is a vulnerability left near the healing tent. However many wounded ponies you manage to take before an alarm is raised you may keep.”

“Sacrificing the weak to remain stronger,” Chrysalis purred. “Oh my Duke Lionheart, you truly are a little changeling at heart. Equestria may have some hope if you remain with the princesses.”

“Equestria will remain strong with or without me,” Lionheart snapped. “You’d do well to remember that insect. I only deign to speak with you because right now the princesses need help being set free from a monster that keeps them trapped. Don’t forget that a few short words to that wretched human can have him turn on your tail instead of mine.”

Instead of being intimidated like she should have been, Chrysalis again laughed.

“And threats to follow, I think I know who to keep an eye on in the future.” Her smile took on a cruel light. “I have observed that Elias Bright likes to take walks at night. I shall have my assassins strike in the coming days; be ready to pick up the pieces. Are we in agreement?”

She stuck out a hoof, her eyes unblinking and boring into his soul. He tightened his muzzle into a frown, hiding his nervousness as he reached out and met her hoof.

“Yes,” Lionheart said. “But if any of your drones are captured, I will not defend them. Equestrian law is clear about how spies are dealt with.”

“Fair,” Chrysalis said. “But if I find out you intentionally expose my spies, or if you betray me again-” she seized his hoof and pulled him forward. Her teeth nibbled on his ear. “I will kill you in the most horrific way you can imagine Duke. Not even the princesses can save you from me.”

She giggled and let him back away.

“But perhaps that precious human of theirs can. Now that would be a truly sweet revenge, to watch you beg and plead at Elias Bright’s feet.”

“Are you going to offer this ‘aid’ of yours, or are you going to keep mocking me all evening long?”

Chrysalis gave him a wink, and the guard began to slowly plod back into the trees.

“I will make contact with my allies tonight, then I will come find you to bring you all together. Don’t worry about how; I’ll know where to find you.”

The green light faded from the changeling’s eyes, and with a shake of its head, the normal slitted blues returned. The changeling shuddered, then his eyes focused on Lionheart. The unicorn stared back, his eyes narrowed.

“Well? Go away insect. We have nothing to talk about.”

The changeling’s eyes narrowed, and his muzzle curled in a smile.

“Not quite true pony, we have one thing to deal with.”

Lionheart yelped as he found himself lifted into the air within green magic. Just as quickly he found himself sputtering and flailing wildly in chilly water. He managed to get his hooves under him, and he shot out of the water, his muzzle curled in a snarl, ready to verbally rip the changeling’s head off.

He found only quiet trees. His head whipped around, scanning for where the wretched little creatures could have gone, but he found nothing.

“What the buck is wrong with you?”

Lionheart’s eyes shifted and found the legionnaire glaring at him with open disgust. In his hoof was the soap bar, dripping with mud.

“This is my soap for the rest of the week!” the silver-clad pony snapped. “It was bad enough that I have to share it with you, but you can’t even keep it out of the mud? I’m going to have to cut away half of this just to have clean soap again!” The legionnaire let out a huff and stuffed the muddy soap bar beneath his armor. “Get out of the river, we’re going back to camp. I swear, you trip with one pot of potato and hay stew…”

Lionheart momentarily considered asking the pony if he had seen or felt anything, but judging by how irritated he was over a bar of soap, he highly doubted it. A chill raced down his wet pelt, and he found no wish to anger the guard further. Being back in a warm camp filled with armed guards sounded quite nice. He quickly trotted up to the guard, and they began their trek back in silence as the legionnaire grumbled silently to himself. As they passed through the trees, Lionheart couldn’t help but keep an eye over his shoulder, wondering briefly if courting his returned “allies” was worth the risk.

PreviousChapters Next