• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 2,451 Views, 126 Comments

Saros - shortskirtsandexplosions



A thousand years after Luna's banishment, a former night wraith races to summon the stars. EoPvers

  • ...
10
 126
 2,451

Do You Remember Heaventide?

"Myrk?" Choral murmured. She leaned softly into him, clasping and unclasping the halves of their two necklaces. "Do you remember the day we met?"

Myrk's eyes openened: black orbs like polished obsidian. Before him stretched the glittering waves of Heaventide as far as his nocturnal vision could see. The two young ponies sat before the shores of the grand subterranean ocean. Sailing ships drifted slowly over Heaventide's silver horizon as a pale white sheen of false starlight shimmered off the layers of bio-luminescence that lined the ceiling of the unfathomably enormous cavern above.

"We met here," he murmured, a very distant and quiet voice. Myrk's leafy ears flicked, and he wrapped his stone-gray forelimbs around her tightly as they settled further into the artificial beach's pale, glittering sand. "I was trying to get away from my thoughts, and you? You were trying to get away from another of your father's lectures, if I recall."

Choral giggled, a slight blush forming beneath her cream-colored coat. "You make it sound so childish, so trivial," she said. Her hooves pieced the two necklaces together once more. The dual figures of a flying owl and a swooping bat danced with one another, and then she unclapsed them again. "Like we were just children in love."

"Hmmm..." Myrk's lungs resonated beneath her as he spoke, "But we were. We still are, in a lot of ways."

"Oh come on..." She tilted her head up to look at him, careful not to poke his strong muzzle with her curved horn. "Things are changing. I've been accepted into the Lunar Energy Commission at Ponymonium University. And you?" She giggled and nuzzled him once more. "My adorable little Myrk, new Captain of the Night Wraiths..."

Myrk glared into the crashing waves along the monochromatic shore. "I was never 'little'..."

"Oh yes you were," Choral said with a smile. She squinted her blue eyeslits, and an aura of ivory light illuminated the left side of his skull as she telekinetically played with his ear. "When we first met, you looked so alone, so scared. You'd never seen something as bright as the reflective waves of Heaventide, and yet you couldn't stop looking at it. My heart went out to you. I wanted everypony to be able to see beautiful things, but you most of all..."

He flinched and twitched his head away from her, snapping her magical grip. "Choral, please," he briefly groaned. Then, as if remorseful of his own tone, he sighed and said. "Sometimes, it's healthy to be scared."

Choral's face went long as a sympathetic breath squeaked out of her. "Must you believe that all of the time?" She gulped and whispered, "When we met, the first thing I thought was how adorable you were, and how badly I wanted to protect you. But now, all this time, you're the one who's done the protecting, Myrk. When will you finally let me take care of you?"

"Choral, everything around us, everything we care about and believe in..." Myrk gulped and shut his slitted black eyes. "I feel like there's something terribly wrong. I've only been Captain of the Wraiths for a few months. And yet, the closer I get to our Savior and Empress..." He grimaced, as if in pain, and slowly opened his eyes. "I do not like what I see. Now, more than ever, it is simply wise to be worried. There is very little you or I can do, I fear..."

"Don't we have enough to be joyful for?" She asked, her blue eyeslits quivering. "Can't we just accept what the Empire has given us and be happy?"

He said nothing. Instead, he gently leaned down, nuzzling and kissing her neck.

She accepted his loving caress, though a nervous shudder still ran through her. Choral's hooves let go of the ornaments. The owl and bat hung loosely from their separate necks. "Myrk?" she stammered, pleaded. "Myrk, please, tell me what you are thinking about..."

His face drifted up. He looked into the depths of Heaventide. The flickering waves stabbed his vision, and yet he forced himself to stare while a breath was sucked out him.