• Published 17th May 2019
  • 1,597 Views, 897 Comments

Starcraft: Warriors of Purity - Xarmar13



Bon Bon and Lyra are sent to the Koprulu Sector on a quest for vengeance.

  • ...
10
 897
 1,597

PreviousChapters Next
Rebel: Mengsk Reaches Out

Other than a few small Zerg, the drive back to the Magistrate’s camp was nothing noteworthy. As Sweetie entered the camp, some of the militia started pointing their rifles at her. “Word about the Confederates wanting to arrest me must have traveled to the militia,” she thought. Sweetie was about to make a run for it when they suddenly acted as if they were receiving a communication. The guards complied with whoever was on the other end before looking at Sweetie again.

“The Magistrate wants to talk to ya” one of the guards said. He motioned for Sweetie to enter the base.

Sweetie, deciding that accepting the Magistrate’s invitation would be the best option, entered the base and headed into the Command Center where the Magistrate was currently residing.

Inside, Sweetie found the Magistrate going over reports. She noticed a distressed look on his face. As she approached the colonial leader, he moved his head up to address her.

“Mind telling me what the hell happened over there?” the Magistrate inquired. “The local Confederates are in an uproar over something, Raynor is missing and now there’s a warrant for your arrest.”

Sweetie recounted the series of events from engaging the creatures that the crew of Backwater Station called the Zerg to burning down an Infested Command Center that belonged to the Confederates and Raynor got arrested over it. Apparently, to her, the Confederacy would rather get upset over a building than the increasing number of Zerg showing up. Either the Confederacy are a bunch of idiots or they are somehow working with the Zerg and hiding it rather poorly.

The Magistrate was clearly upset over having his Marshal arrested. “The only thing I can do right now is issue a formal complaint and request a report on what the Confederates are doing out there.”

“I’m pretty sure they are just going to throw it in your face,” Sweetie said. “As for the report, I’m willing to bet that Duke has done nothing to stop the Zerg, and is instead working against us.”

The Magistrate sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I hate to admit it, but you’re right about the complaint being pointless. I’ll file it anyway as a formality at least.” The Magistrate looked at his adjutant. “Adjutant, I would like to request a report on the Confederacy’s actions on Mar Sara and reports on Zerg movement.”

“Acknowledged” said the adjutant.

A few hours later, the Magistrate received a transmission from Duke. What he said was everything he expected him to say. Duke couldn’t care less about what the Magistrate thought about Confederate regulations.

Once the transmission ended, the adjutant gave him the report that he requested. “Sixteen outland stations have reported sightings of the alien invaders identified as Zerg.”
That wasn’t good. The creatures are showing up in even greater numbers now. “Where are these things coming from?” the Magistrate thought.

“The Confederates have arrested all standing militia forces and continue to avoid action against the Zerg” the adjutant continued.

This appears to coincide with Sweetie Drops’ suspicions that the Confederates and the Zerg are cooperating in some way, or that they are actually afraid to engage the Zerg, since they continue to ignore the proverbial elephant in the room. “If this is the case, then we are in way over our heads on this and we need to get the colonists off this planet before we’re overrun,” the magistrate thought.

“Three stations have fallen to the Zerg already.” the adjutant continued.

“Is there anyone outside of the Confederacy who we can call for help?” Sweetie asked.

“There is one military group that we have been able to contact. However, this group has been branded as criminals by the Confederacy. They are the rebel extremist group known as the Sons of Korhal.” the adjutant said. “Shall I put you through?”

Seeing no other option that doesn’t result in the colony getting wiped out, the Magistrate affirmed his request with the mechanical secretary.

For some reason, the man appearing on the screen made Sweetie feel wary of his presence. She could not understand why she felt this way except that her instincts told her to be careful around this person.

“Good day, Magistrate. My name is Arcturus Mengsk, and I represent the Sons of Korhal. You’re familiar with the Confederate propaganda surrounding my group, but your reputations suggests you’ll see past it. It’s never been our practice to operate in any one place for long, but these Zerg don’t look like they’re going to wait.”

“Look, Arcturus Mengsk,” Sweetie interrupted. Both turned their eyes to her. “I’m sure you’re aware that this colony is about to be overrun by Zerg at the rate at things are going. What we want to know is if you can get us and the colonists off this rock before then.

“I am also aware that you being part of a criminal organization means that we will be fugitives from Confederate law if we accept your assistance. But at this point, I just don’t care. The Confederates suck and this entire situation that they are partially to blame for happening sucks. So, just come and get us and step on it.”

The magistrate and Mengsk blinked for a few seconds. “Uhh...what she said” the Magistrate said.

Mengsk regained his composure soon after. “Very well, transports are on the way.”

“While you’re at it,” Sweetie added. “Some of the militia forces as well as a friend of mine was captured and imprisoned by the Confederates. Is there any chance you can break them out?”

“I don’t see why not” Mengsk said, showing signs of irritation with the requests that Sweetie has been asking of him.

The transmission ended and the magistrate began ordering the colonists to the evacuation zone of the city. The colonists were evacuated from the wasteland site safely before it came under attack from the Zerg.

The colonial forces arrived at the evacuation zone and began establishing a perimeter using Bunkers to protect the soldiers while they protected the new base. The magistrate obtained the remainder of the colony’s schematics and ordered the perimeter to be reinforced with Missile Turrets in case some new type of Zerg ends up being flyers. A Factory was quickly constructed by the SCVs in order to build more Vulture hoverbikes like the one Raynor has.

The basics of a base had been established just in time before the adjutant pinged an alert. “Warning! Evacuation zone under attack by Zerg forces. Distress beacon activated at 1220.”

In that moment, a colonist with a defective Vulture crashed his bike into one of the Bunkers, heavily damaging it and the bike. Somehow, the two were easily repairable by the SCVs and the biker began demanding one to repair both the Bunker and the bike.

Rolling her eyes at the clumsy biker, Sweetie took position on the roof of a building next to a convenient stock of minerals along with a small squad of Marines to observe the possible attack routes that the Zerg may use to invade the base.

The Vultures were helpful by putting Spider Mines along both of the chokepoints. Noticing the inefficiency of the Vultures being unable to restock the mines, Sweetie introduced to the Magistrate the idea to have the Factories manufacture a stockpile of Spider Mines and distribute them to Vultures that revisit the building after laying what they had.

It wasn’t long before small attack waves of Zerg began appearing. The Marine-filled Bunkers quickly eliminated the first wave. The colonial forces worked quickly to fortify the defensive positions. A few more Marines joined Sweetie on the rooftop. Although the colony had access to missile turrets to deter any potential attacks from flyers, the rooftop was not sturdy enough to build them without risking the structure collapsing.

Sweetie’s concerns were soon realized as the base came under attack by what appeared to be a segmented worm with leathery wings.

As an act of trust from the Sons of Korhal, the Magistrate received some data on the Zerg. The small Zerg that were encountered first were known as Zerglings while the snake-tailed ones were called Hydralisks. The new flying Zerg were called Mutalisks.

The Mutalisks launched what looked like a small creature that landed explosively on one target and bounced to other nearby targets at most twice before the creature was completely destroyed from the impacts.

Concentrated fire from the sheltered Marines and Missile Turrets made quick work of the flying horrors.

In order to relieve pressure on the evacuation zone, the Magistrate sent his own attack groups against the Zerg composed of a combination of Marines, Firebats, and Vultures. Sweetie was asked to stay in the facility because she was still lacking in armor; an issue that was beginning to annoy Sweetie.

Reports from the attack groups tell of a greater variety of living Zerg structures than the one type encountered near Backwater Station. One type of structure defended itself by extending a tentacle and sticking it into the ground where the attackers, nearly and unfortunately, were impaled on the endpoint of the tentacle. When the attackers finally killed the structure, they noticed that the living ground underneath their feet was slowly dying. “Could there be a relation between the structure I saw before and this new one?” Sweetie thought.

The attackers soon came upon what appeared to be a Zerg base with a number of different structures. One looked like a webbed hand with tubes coming out of it. One looked like a living water tower. Another building looked like a pool with green ooze in it. Another building appeared in their sights that looked important. This one looked like a large circus tent and there were what appeared to be worms with thick shells wandering near the structure. There also appeared to be Zerg that had small arms and webbed legs that appeared to be made for hovering instead of flying. These Zerg must be worker types since they appeared to be gathering from a nearby mineral field and what they assumed to be their variation of a refinery on top of a Vespene Geyser. One last Zerg type the group noticed looked like massive, floating creatures that did nothing even when one spotted them.

The group was soon beset upon by a large number of Zerglings, Hydralisks and Mutalisks.

The adjutant suddenly gave a message across the colonists who could pick up on the signal. “Ten minutes until dropship arrival” she said.

The message pulled Sweetie away from her thoughts. She was surprised that the Zerg attacks haven’t intensified yet. Maybe the raiding parties were crippling the Zerg offensive…

...Or maybe they are planning something intense very soon.

“Five minutes until dropship arrival.”

The Magistrate decided to stop sending attack parties and instead focused on bringing in as much militia as he could to hold out until the Sons of Korhal arrived.

The attacks have slowed as a result of the efforts of the raiding party. They reported to have destroyed the important Zerg structure and killed off all of the Drones that they saw before their radios went out.

A few minutes later, Sweetie’s suspicions were confirmed once more as countless numbers of Zerglings and Hydralisks burst out of the ground and headed straight for the evacuation zone. The last couple of minutes were some of the most intense moments that she had ever experienced. At some point she had to take shelter in a bunker because the base was slowly becoming overwhelmed.

Thankfully, the situation turned around when a massive ship appeared above the evacuation zone and started bombarding the near helpless Zerg with its weaponry. The large ship, which one of the Marines next to Sweetie called a Battlecruiser, was flanked by a number of Dropships.

Sweetie breathed a sigh of relief as the rebel organization came through on their offer.

She was finally going to get off Mar Sara and begin her search for Lyra.

PreviousChapters Next