• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 420 Views, 26 Comments

A Black Sun Rises - Bronycommander



A month passed since the Adventure of Dinky, Katja and Blau Streifen in Africa. But another, much bigger challenger awaits them on Earth

  • ...
2
 26
 420

Chapter 14: Storm Front

Chapter 14: Storm Front

“You will be okay... Do you hear me?” A voice echoed in Dinky’s ears as she came to, panting heavily. “You will be okay. Relax for a few minutes. Breathe deeply.” Her vision slowly returned ad she saw Fletcher looking at her with a relieved expression.

Katja and Blau were right next to her, also panting, checked by Ford and Hill. “We found you next to the Metro entrance. I was really worried about you.” The Captain told them and they realized Konrad and the others were gone.

“Konrad and his squad mates found us,” Dinky explained to them.

“They must have it made out alive too, otherwise you wouldn’t be here.” Ford suspected before Jackson cleared his throat.

“I hate the break the reunion but we need to move.” They all nodded in response.

“We were very lucky. I wonder what caused this big wave…” Katja mumbled still a bit shocked.

“I can only imagine some pipes or a nearby dam that broke caused the flooding,” Fletcher replied.

“Soldiers of Britain and America. Are you hungry? Are you cold? Are you tired? Hot food, warm- dry clothing, proper medical treatment, and a safe place to sleep await you at the nearest field hospital. Our well-disciplined troops are under the strictest orders to accept all allied soldiers who honorably surrender. Death is a way which there can be no salvation. Do not permit you or your families to perish because of your warmongering governments and bloodthirsty Roosevelt and Churchill. There is no shame in surrender!” Another broadcast echoed through the streets.

“How did you find us?” Blau asked Fletcher and he smiled weakly.

“Well, we supported an advance into enemy territory and got separated from the main force. But don’t worry, we’ll find a way back.”

Blau, his sister and Dinky nodded, relieved that the stallion was alright.

The group avoided Axis patrols as good as they could until they came to what looked like a Theatre in the distance, strangely guarded by US and British soldiers. “What are they doing here?” Dinky asked confused.

“The Theatre is the second strategic position we were ordered to take, looks like the others were successful while we were separated. At least, everything goes to plan.” The Sergeant explained to her, sounding slightly tensed.

“Hey, it’s some of our guys!” One of the guarding soldiers called out surprised. “I thought you were all goners when the Church came down.”

“We were all lucky,” William replied.

“Then get some rest, you earned it.”

The guard hadn’t to say it twice, the group went to one of the tents, eating and drinking. Dinky let out a sigh, glad they had survived so far.

After their short break, they helped to carry supplies around, knowing it could help to win this bloody battle. “I hope it’s over soon, we lost too many already.” Dufy chatted with a fellow soldier.

“You and me both. But despite having taken the Theatre, things aren’t very well for us. We are only few the rest is still coming, and the enemy knows that. Surrounded, outnumbered, our only hope If they attack is, that we can hold the line until the rest of Able and 3rd Battalion manages to get here."

Hearing this filled the children with unease, looking at each other. They just barely avoided getting drowned, how god where their chances to survive this if the Germans and Italians would attack?

“The entire armies of Germany and Italy stand in front of you!” Another propaganda broadcast sounded, surprising everyone. “Turn around while you still can! Nobody can defeat us, you don't stand a chance!”

“One last show of power. They know at least that the world won't be much use to them if there's no-one left upon it." Fletcher commented unimpressed,

“But their way...It leaves only option available. Men will die at their posts than serve the men who treat their neighbors like beasts for slaughter. Hitler's losing it, the whole world knows. He'll have no place in his new world for men like Rommel, for men of honor, for the past. He'll fill his circle with fools and madmen...and fill the streets with blood and bones. Fighting's the only thing for it...And winning, if we can.”

“If you don't surrender, we will destroy every single one of you! Your leaders are fools! Do you really want to die for them? Surrender while you still can! Our way is the better way, the way into a better life!” The broadcast then ended.

Hill just shook his head at this, seeing some of the younger recruits shaking.

Better life? Marching to the tune of an insane, quasi-mystic cretin and his hangers-on! Sent to human farms if you have a drop of non-Aryan blood, whatever that means! Stomping over anyone unlucky enough to look wrong in the eyes of that hatred-spouting, smudge-lipped tyrant! No. No, I refuse to live under their way, to live as they do. Our leaders might well be fools for all we know, I don't give a damn! I'm no fool as to believe their lies! I plan on fighting and giving those fascist scum a taste of British lead and steel, right up their jacksies! Who's with me?!” He raised his hand and slowly, every Allied soldier followed his example.

However, it took its effect on the kids as they recalled the broadcast.

'If you don't surrender, we will destroy every single one of you!'

Dinky stared at the floor.

She felt her stomach tighten, her hooves shaking on the ground, leaving her unable to stand, sitting stock-still in place without a word.

They were going to kill them.

All of them.

Surrounded, outnumbered, with no way out or safe outcome in sight.

It took a lot to come to terms with what appeared most certain.

She was going to die.

She'd never see her family or friends again.

She'd never see Ponyville again.

She'd never sleep in her own bed or play with her mother or the Crusaders or study under Miss Cheerilee or anything that used to be a daily occurrence for her, now seeming so very far away.

She was going to die in a wholly different world and nopony she knew would even find her body.

Gripped by terror and heartbreak, the little unicorn filly curled up in a secluded corner of the Allied sector and shut her eyes tight as her body shook with fearful sobs. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw the siblings doing the same.

None of the three could tell how much time had passed before they heard a voice

“Look, honestly, are you kids okay?” It was Fletcher, appearing to have noticed they went out of his sight, sounding worried.

Dinky forced a smile while slightly crying. “Yeah...yeah, we're okay...we're all okay...”

“Are you sure?”

Dinky started to tremble, lowering her head. “No...No, we're not...I don't wanna' die...I don't wanna die...I wanna' go home...I miss mummy and daddy so much...” While she cried it out, she curled up sobbing while Katja and Blau Streifen were hugging each other tightly, quietly weeping.

Seeing their distress, Fletcher hugged them. “Shh, shh. I know you are scared and that it’s not looking good. But I promise, you will return home safe and sound. They may have superior numbers, but that doesn’t mean we can’t hold them off. I, Wolf and Midnight survived many battles where we were outnumbered. We just have to hold out until help arrives.

“He’s right, children,” Hill said as he joined them. “At Agincourt, we were outnumbered ten to one and still we won. And we will defend you with our lives.” He gave them a weak smile.

“O-okay…” Dinky managed to smile weakly.

“T-thanks…” The siblings said in unison.

“Just doing our duty. Now, he ready, the attack can start any moment.” William replied and they went into cover behind sandbags.

Barely had they gone into position, several whistles greeted their ears and Duffy yelled, “Artillery!”

The kids covered their ears as the shells hit the ground, creating deafening explosions around them, Fletcher even cast a shield spell to protect them from shrapnel.

Despite all that noise, Dinky and her friends heard faintly weeping, seeing it came from Fletcher, slightly trembling. None of them hesitated to hug him to calm him down, suspecting all those explosions reminded him of Mondelin or something familiar.

Slowly, he calmed down, forming a smile before it all stopped and Ford shouted. “They’re coming! Hold the line!”

Within seconds, all allied troops opened fire at the incoming enemy infantry, mowing them down. But it seemed like the Axis had limitless troops, as wave after wave came aggressively, with Fletcher and the kids pressed themselves against their cover.

They all could tell, it would be a battle for everything or nothing.

“I need ammo, get another belt!” One of the HMG gunners near the kids yelled. Seeing some ammo next to them, the kids wasted to time to grab it and made a dash for the HMG, Fletcher kept his eyes open before he spotted what looked like a flare in the sky coming towards them.

“Get down!” He yelled before an explosion threw him over.

As he got up, he couldn’t believe what he saw. Everything was burning. The buildings, the streets, he was trapped in a firestorm, not seeing anybody. Fletcher could on only stared in shock and horror at the scene, feeling the heat of the flames. It was as if the gates of fiery Muspell had opened up and swallowed the city whole.

“Welcome to Tartarus, Fletcher.” Solomon’s voice echoed in his ears. “We’ve been waiting for you.”

“What the?” He wondered before he heard young screams and he gasped.

Dinky, Katja and Blau were on fire, screaming in pain, running towards them. He had no time to react as they reached him and he screamed as he caught fire too, trying to pat it out, rolling around.

“Fletcher!” William’s voice sounded in his ears and he found himself back in reality behind his cover. Some areas were lightly burning and he heard a young scream.

Once he got up, he was shocked.

The children were taking cover behind some debris, trapped between the fire of the two sides, bullets missing them by inches.

Dinky was bleeding from a wound close-to-the-chest. Katja was next to her with her brother, cowering on the ground in fear, her hands behind her head, Blau was looking around with a panicked expression, terror in his eyes. It was a basic human instinct, and even the well-trained soldiers could have trouble fighting the urge to keep themselves from getting killed but they weren’t soldiers but children, fearing that they would get killed. The Waffen-SS troops didn’t care that children were in their line of fire, they just kept firing.

No!

“Covering fire!” Hill yelled as he went in with Ford and Fletcher, dodging gunfire and explosions as they dashed to the kids, Fletcher quickly stopped the bleeding, as he noticed that gunfire came from a building to their right, also suppressing the SS troops.

Hill grabbed Katja, Ford picked gently Blau up and they made a dash for the building, then Fletcher checked on Dinky.

“Lucky you, the bullet did not enter deep.” He said with a weak smile.

“The pain…make it stop!” Dinky cried, tears leaving her eyes.

“Still. Lie still. And don’t cry. The pain will be over soon.” Konrad’s voice sounded in a calming voice in their ears as he gently held her hoof, the siblings did the same with her other hoof as Fletcher used his magic to take care of the bullet.

Dinky struggled and screamed in pain, but slowly her screams of pain reduced to cries through gritted teeth before letting out a final scream as Fletcher removed the bullet with his magic, casting his healing spell and Konrad bandaged her wound. “T-thanks…” You managed to say weakly.

“Just doing what is right, we just couldn’t leave you in the crossfire,” Escher replied with a relieved expression before the sound of engines greeted their ears and a voice sounded,

“The Germans are retreating!”

“That’s our signal to leave, Godspeed.” The Sergeant said and left with his squad.

Fletcher them levitated the filly on his back and they walked out, seeing that some tanks of Able Company and 3rd Battalion had arrived, deciding this battle in their favor.

Medics were taking care of the wounded and William gasped as he saw a familiar face under them. “Cutting!” He was lying on a stretcher, his chest bandaged, groaning in pain as he saw his friend.

“Captain…I’m sorry.”

The officer gently took his hand. “You’ll be home soon.”

Barely had he said this, Cutting’s body became limp and he lowered his head. “Bugger it…” The others saw him sniffing, standing up. “We went through so much together, from France to Africa…One of the best lads I’ve ever known.

Dinky also sniffed, “That’s not fair…He was such a good man…” The siblings lowered their heads too in sadness, Fletcher did too, sighing.

“Sadly, that’s how it is in the war, Dinky. I lost many good friends too in the wars I took part, I know it only too well.”

“At least, he’s in a better place now. I will never forget you, Cutting.” William did the cross out of respect.

“Had he any family?” Blau asked.

“No, he wasn’t married, but has a brother. It won’t be easy telling him.” Hill said with sadness in his voice.

It reminded them of Willi’s death, having lost another good friend. Dinky shivered at the thought of William, Ford or Konrad dying. None of them should deserve this.

Dinky looked at her three friends with a sad expression. The siblings hugged each other as comfort, Fletcher had his head lowered. Was it there fault he had died, covering them? Or was his fate sealed regardless of their actions? Had he a girlfriend or friends back home? When was the last time he had seen his brother? None of them could imagine.

Franky, the four hoped this battle would end soon, so not more lives would be lost.

As they turned around, they saw the two officers of Able Company walking towards him.

“I’m terribly sorry to interrupt this moment, but it was quite a brave action you two did,” Mackey commented with a hint of pride in his voice, yet looked at William and Christopher with sympathy.

“Just doing our duty, sir.” The private replied.

“I know. The Colonels want to speak with you.”

Ford saluted. “We will report at once, sir.” The group walked to the command tent. “You wanted to speak us?”

“Yes.” Campbell replied. “Reports on Wetherby’s attack are going from bad to worse. Allied soldiers are dying due to his incompetence! Recon reports the Germans have a small outpost in the city center. Enemy Reinforcements are moving out from here to support their defense from him. Eliminating them would take off the pressure off of Wetherby and spare a lot of his men.”

“Okay. What have we to expect?”

“It consist mainly out of armor, we found an ideal ambush position near the route they will take.” Sheridan explained.

“Yes, sir.”

Fletcher, Dinky, Katja and Blau watched with interest as Ford and the others picked up some weapons that looked similar to the Panzerfaust and they moved out. “What’s that?” Blau titled his head.

“That’s the Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank, PIAT for short. It’s the British Anti-tank weapon. Basically, it fires a shaped charge bomb like a mortar. As such, it has no back-blast and can be fired from behind large obstacles like hedgerows.” Hill explained as they reached a half intact building near the outpost, entering it, Fletcher and the kids were watchful for the tanks.

“Shortly afterward, Dinky reported, “I hear something coming closer.”

“2 Panzer IV and a Tiger Tank, escorted by infantry,” Fletcher confirmed, seeing them coming down the road.

“Wait until they are directly under us.” William looked at Ford, who nodded. “The moment the tanks were in position, they pulled the triggers and the projectiles were fired in arc trajectories, hitting on the rear of the two Panzer IVs, going up in flames.

They then reloaded as Jackson with a few other soldiers attacked the infantry from the other side, flanking them. Fletcher and the kids saw how Hill placed the PIAT on its butt, then placed his feet on the shoulder padding and turning the weapon to unlock the body and simultaneously locked the spigot rod to the butt, groaning as he did so. He then bend over and pulled the body of the weapon upwards, thereby pulling the spring back until it attached to the trigger and cocked the weapon.

“Hurry! The Tiger’s aiming at us!” Katja exclaimed in fear as the Turret rotated towards them.

William then lowered the body of the PIAT and turned to reattach it to the rest of the weapon, and it was ready to fire.

But as he took aim, he saw the turret of the tiger pointed at the house they were in. “Everybody out!” He yelled, in vain as the tank fired and they all got blasted out of the building, dazed on impact.

Still dazed, his vision blurry, he and Ford saw how the kids had been knocked by the impact and a few SS-soldiers loaded them onto Truck before they got grabbed and forced towards the truck. They couldn’t see Fletcher and both knew there nothing they could do.

A loud bang sounded in their ears and they saw how their captors fell dead to the ground, blood spattering from their heads, seeing out of the corner of their eyes of Jackson and Fletcher were firing their weapons, yet the truck managed to drove away. “The children!” Christopher exclaimed and made a dash towards a jeep but was stopped by his squad leader.

“No, no, no. You’re not going anywhere.”

“They got the kids!” Ford yelled but Jackson stayed stubborn.

“Mission comes first!”

“I can’t leave them!” The Private shoved him away and took the driver seat, William and Fletcher jumped into the passenger seats and gave chase.

The Truck took random turns through the city, a soldier was firing from the back but Ford avoiding his fire, before a Kübelwagen rammed him from the side, causing him to grace the back of the truck and all three cars lost control, with the jeep and Kübelwagen turning over several times and they all blacked out.

As Ford came to he saw both cars burning, Fletcher and William were dated, the driver of the Kübelwagen was lying dead against the wreck, two soldiers stumbled near the still intact truck.

He drew his sidearm aiming at the two soldiers but his injuries causing his head to shake, missing his shots and the truck drove away and he passed out again.

Coming to again, he saw Jackson with a disappointed look walking towards him. ”You disobeyed a direct order.”

“Then you better court martial us,” Ford replied calmly. And the Sergeant kneeled to him.

“Desertion is a capital offense.” He reached for his knife. “Maybe I should do us both a favor to finish the job.”

“Sergeant!” Duffy yelled and The Radioman stared at Ford with disgust. “It’s over. You got no place in my squad. Get them out of my face.” He ordered and two fellow Rifleman helped Ford and Fletcher up, Duffy helped the Captain.

“It’s gonna be okay. You did everything you could.” Duffy said to comfort them, but it didn’t help, they all lowered their heads.

They had failed.

Author's Note:

Welcome to hell, Fletcher