• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 418 Views, 26 Comments

A Black Sun Rises - Bronycommander



A month passed since the Adventure of Dinky, Katja and Blau Streifen in Africa. But another, much bigger challenger awaits them on Earth

  • ...
2
 26
 418

Chapter 13 Crucible

Chapter 13: Crucible

“Ugh…We’re alive?” Dinky groaned as she got up, finding herself with the siblings in what looked like an Aid Station.

“I…think so.” Blau held his head.

“Ah, you’re awake.” A familiar voice said and they saw Konrad walking in. “We heard the explosion and found you as we took a look. Fortunately, you only suffered slight burns.” He said with relief and they noticed that they had bandages around their limbs.

“Thank you. Again.” Katja said with embarrassment in her voice, but he smiled warmly.

“Keeping you safe is my duty.” He replied and led them outside, it looked like small Forward base, seeing also the rest of his squad mates.

“Glad to see you’re okay.” Karl smiled at them.

“We are also happy to see you’re fine. “How did you end up here?” Dinky asked him and he sighed.

“We found ourselves here after the plane crash. Here, the Waffen-SS is fighting at the front, we are the rear guard, the only Wehrmacht unit too. Blowing up the building was a cruel but effective tactic, I admit.”

This reminded the children of Fletcher and the others. “I-I hope Fletcher and the others have survived…” Dinky whimpered before Escher put a hand on her shoulder.

“I’m sure they do, they have much experience after all. And we do anything to keep you safe and reunite you with them.” He had an honest expression.

“I know and we appreciate your hard work.” She replied with a weak smile.

A sigh, escaping Matteo’s mouth and they saw him looking at the destruction with a sad expression. “What’s wrong?” Katja asked him.

“I used to live here. Grew up here, met my wife. We moved to Bitanti as it was quiet, not as busy as here. It will probably take years to rebuild everything.” He saw a bar in the distance. “This place once echoed with conversations of friends and lovers. No longer.”

The three friends looked at each other, none of them could imagine the pain he just went through, seeing his old home destroyed.

“Speaking of, what should we do? The Falkner squad will definitely take them.” Tim asked with worry in his voice.

“Falkner Squad?” Dinky asked, remembering the conversation she and her friends had overheard at the camp.

“Yes, a squad of special Waffen-SS, in command of the defense of the city. I haven’t met them personally, but they are battle-hardened veterans of the Eastern Front, having made themselves a bloody reputation there.” Karl told her with unease in his voice. “But as they led personally their troops, it’s unlikely we will meet them.”

That made the kids realize, the German squad they had seen when the allies entered the city, had been the Falkner squad. “So, had they been ordered to blow up the Mountain and the building?” Blau asked with fear.

“Yes, it was the idea of the Commander of the squad. He has one of the highest success rates on the frontier. Minimal losses to his team and a devastating kill-count.”

“I hope Fletcher won’t run into them.” Katja shivered at the thought.


Fletcher groaned as he woke up, finding himself in a Medic Station, having bandages around his limbs. What happened? He wondered before starting to remember. The children!

He shot up, looking around, but couldn’t see them in the station. “No…It can’t be…”

William walked in with Ford, “Ah, you’re woken up. A debris hit you right on the head.” The Brit said before seeing the panic in Fray’s eyes.

“Where are the children? Are they okay?”

William sighed. “No. We lost sight of them as we had to retreat, you were out for the rest of the day. But calm down, we will find them.”

Fletcher took a deep breath, slightly trembling. “I just hope they didn’t…”

“I’m sure it didn’t come to that.” Ford put a hand on his shoulder. “But we got a problem and you might be able to help. Follow us.”

Fletcher did without a word, getting led to the command tent, seeing the two Colonels looking at a map and a very long list. “My god, it’s a massacre! The loses we’re taking…” Campbell mumbled in shock and Sheridan slammed his hands on the map.

“That idiot! I told him to cancel the landing.”

“Well, Wetherby has asked us to reinforce him. What should we do?”

“If he was alone I’d say let him die. But he has a lot of good men that deserve better than him. What can I do?” The US officer wondered.

“If I may suggest, as he had the task to help you encircle the enemy, this task is now up to you. We could take the pressure off him that way.”

“Good point. But thing is, his incompetence was what made the enemy able to blow the building up. Had he canceled the attack, he could have come from another flank, preventing the explosion.” Campbell explained and Fletcher looked down, quietly hissing.

“When I get my hooves on him…”

Pardon, sir?"

"Nothing.” Fletcher quickly replied. “Anyway, how can I help?”

Sheridan took the word. “There is an AA position not far from here that makes our planes trouble, If you can help to take it out, we could send it a recon plane to help find the kids.”

“Sure thing. Lead the way, Captain.

“Of course, there’s a church nearby, it will make an ideal sniping position.”

But as they moved out, they heard another broadcast.

“People of the USA and Britain. Yesterday afternoon brave German soldiers from the rescued 3 children trapped in a burning building in the subtle part of the city. The fires were caused by heckels bombardments from allied aircraft under direct orders from Roosevelt and Churchill with no regard for the safety of the citizens. Thanks to the efforts of our compassionate German soldiers, these adorable children can look forward to a bright safe future with Germany.”

“Wait…what?” Ford, asked in surprise.

“Could…Could it be?” Hill wondered and Fletcher let out a growl.

“Okay, using Dinky and her friends for Propaganda is crossing the line…”

“Hey, see it from the bright side, they are still alive, we just need to find them.” Ford pointed out and Fray sighed.

“I know…How shall we proceed when we reach the church?”

“We give cover for the squad taking out the AA guns. Simple as that.”

“Okay.”

The church was just on the right end of the crossroad, they could hear and see the AA fire in the distance as they entered and got into position at the top, with Fletcher readying his rifle.

“There they are! Suppressive fire!” William ordered as they saw a squad of Combat Engineers and Sappers moving up.

The stallion exhaled, firing with the others on infantry to clear the way. As the Allied soldiers moved on, armed Kübelwagen and Halftracks arrived, but the unicorn quickly took the gunners out.

Thanks to this, the Allied soldiers managed to reach one of the AA guns, planting demolition charges and blow it up once they were at a safe distance.

“Sir, the other flak cannon us targeting us!” Duffy warned and Hill yelled,

“Everyone out, now!”

The hit from it, threw Fletcher over, dazing him for a moment. “Look out! GET OUTA THE WAY!” Hill shouted as Fletcher looked up, his eyes went wide as one of the bells fell towards him and he quickly crawled back to avoid it and made a dash for the ladder.

But luck seemed not to be on their side as the bell broke through the scaffolding, still attached to the rope and swung towards the ladder, breaking it and sending Fletcher down on his back, he cried in pain.

He barely had time to react as a beam landed on his hindleg, crying out in pain as Hill warned. “THEY’RE COMING DOWN!” The bell swung heavily and the lifted the beam off him and crawled backward. Just a moment later, the bell hit the ground next to him, getting stuck on the ground.

However, the building still crumbled and the unicorn quickly ran down the stairs. “Watch out!” Ford shouted as the bell came down, shoving the pony through the door, diving out after him with the others.

They looked up to see the top of the church collapsing, creating a large cloud of dust and debris, coughing from it.

“I hope that was worth it…” Fletcher said as he got slowly up.

“Yeah. It will be up to the others to take out the other flak gun. Also, the collapsed church blocks our way back, we’re behind enemy lines now. But maybe, we can find the children that way.” William replied.

“Okay, stay low, we can’t afford a large firefight or let the enemy know we’re here,” Ford said and Fletcher took the lead, walking down the only road that was not blocked, sneaking past Axis patrols.

“The German and Italian armies medical corps is ready to assist any and all honorable allied comrades who request care and treatment. Simply put down your weapons and surrender to the nearest patrol. It is truly that simple.” Another broadcast sounded, being very near them and the saw a loudspeaker mounted on the wall on a house in the corner. Fletcher walked up to it and cut the cable powering it with his knife.

“Good thinking, our boys will be in better spirits without these propaganda broadcasts,” Duffy commented and Fray just shrugged.

“I’m just doing it because it’s annoying.”

The way then led to a being market place. “Hey! Look!” Cutting pointed to a lone US soldier in the distance. “Poor guy must have been separated from us after the building came down.” He suspected before a loud shot echoed in their ears and the soldier fell dead to the ground, blood flowing from his head. “Sniper!”

The group went prone behind a piece of debris. “We have to take him out, but from where did that come from?” Duffy wondered and Fletcher gave him an assuring smile.

“I take care of that. Patience, a classic sniper duel.”


The German sniper had taken position in a house with a fellow soldier, being aware the Green Knight was here. “Once I got him in my sight, he’s doomed.” The sniper was confident.

“Oh, for sure, Merlson. Show him you deserve the nickname Vulture.” His comrade prepared a helmet, pulling it up with a string at the window. “He will think you get up to confirm your kill, aims for the helmet, fires, reveals his position…and is shoot in turn.” He added as he lifted the helmet up and waited for a few minutes.

“Except…the Green Knight doesn’t fire…” He dropped the helmet and sighed. “Because the Green Knight isn’t there.”

“Then we should meet up with the others. You first.” The sniper said as they had to jump over a gap in the floor, with the wall destroyed, exposing them.

“Sure.” The soldier made an approach run and jumped but what happened next took the Sniper completely by surprise.

His comrade got shot in midair pinned at the wall by an arrow through the head. “Whoa!” He exclaimed and crouched to avoid sharing the same fate, breathing heavily. Yet he knew he had to take out the enemy to get out of here, so he peeked over his cover.

He couldn’t believe his eyes as he saw the Green Knight emerging out of a piece of debris, apparently admiring his work.

Seeing this as his chance, the sniper took aim and fired. Blood splattered from the stallion’s head and he fell dead to the ground. “All this distractions and I could still hit a Reichsmark at a thousand meters.” He cheered at his kill and climbed down to inspect the body.

Still, he moved carefully from cover to cover, better safe than sorry.

So much for the Green Knight! The others will be very pleased to hear this!

Then he saw something out of his perifial vision and stopped, not able to believe what he saw. No…

The sound of a cloak flattering in the wind greeted his eyes and he turned his eyes into the direction it came from. To his right side stood the Green Knight, bow ready, a neutral expression.

Merlson sighed. Accepting his fate, he removed his hat and turned to face the stallion.

“Get out of here if you want to live.” The stallion said without emotion and the German stared, not able to believe what he heard.

There was silence for a few minutes before the German walked away.

“You should have killed him,” Ford commented at the sight.

“I only kill if I have to,” Fletcher said as he looked after the man. Although being a member of the Waffen-SS due to the Oak A cameo, behind the dark grey hood and cap, the man with his blue eyes and blond hair somehow reminded Fletcher of himself. “Besides, you don’t spread fear among the dead.”

“If you say so. Let’s get moving.”


“How can we get them t safety without deserting our post?” Tim wondered, “I don’t want them to be in more danger than they are now, but I don’t wanna die as traitor either.”

“We’ll think of something, just give us time,” Karl assured him. “As long as the US troops on the other side of the town are held back, there will be a way out.”

“Karl’s right.” Dinky smiled at the young man. “Hope dies last.” The siblings nodded at her confidence with smiles of her own as suddenly, the radio buzzed.

“All rear guard units, this is Commander Von Treffler of Falkner Squad. We got reports about Allied units separated from the main force behind our lines. Sweep our lines and eliminate them.”

“This is Lieutenant Vogel, order acknowledged,” Karl spoke into the radio.

“Sir?” Tim asked confused.

“Orders are orders but we can use this as cover to get the kids out.” The officer replied and they all understood. “Matteo, take point.”

“Yes, sir!” He saluted and they moved out, with the kids at the back, fully trusting them.

The Italian soldier led them around a corner as gunfire greeted their ears and they saw a squad of Italian soldier fighting a squad of American infantry. They wore green colored uniforms, firing Thompson SMGs. The Italians put up a good fight the Allied soldiers pushed on aggressive, wiping them out.

It took them only a second before they spotted the German squad. “Give them hell, rangers!”

Konrad, his friends and the kids went to cover behind sandbags and the soldiers returned fire, suppressing the Rangers, as suddenly, Dinky heard one Ranger yell. “To Jerry, with love.”

A pineapple made out of metal landed next to her and her two friends and their eye went wide as they realized what it was. “Grenade!” They yelled and Tim picked it up, throwing it back at the Rangers.

The explosion, took out most of the squad, only two had survived it, staggering a bit before they aimed their weapons again, but Konrad and Karl were faster, pulling the triggers of their weapons. Blood splattered from the heads of the Rangers as they fell dead on the ground. “Enemy squad neutralized, let’s move!” Karl ordered as he reloaded his MP40.

Dinky, Katja and Blau looked at the dead Americans with grief, but they knew their friends were only defending themselves and they knew the soldiers had no other choice, this was war.

Matteo led them all towards the end of the street, then took a right turn, only to run into another firefight. This time, it was a squad of Germans against British soldiers, wearing red Berets, armed with Sten guns.

Like the Italians, they also didn’t last long before being wiped out and the Allied soldiers focused their attention on the others. “Commandos!” Karl exclaimed as he and his comrades turned fire, with the kids pressing themselves against cover as the bullets flew past them.

Although outnumbered against the six men squad, Tim managed to kill one hostile with a hit to the chest, Hand and Matteo got another two with headshots before smoke was popped. “They’re retreating!” Karl was relieved. “Good. Sometimes, it’s honorable to avoid the fight. Pretty sure Fletcher and his knights can relate to that.”

“I’ll ask him when we see him again. Those guys were the ones who took out the AA gun when the Allies attacked Sicily.” Konrad replied and the kids looked at each other, realizing these had been the men they had seen in the dark.

As they moved on, Blau looked in disbelief at the rubble. “All this destruction…” They then heard yells, seeing in the distance how a squad of Rifleman was apparently retreating in a panic from the right of a crossroad to the left, chased by a Panzer IV.

Some buildings were on fire, others barely intact, or completely destroyed, it was truly unbelievable.

Would the city ever be rebuilt? When would it all end? Or would be there anything left? None of the kids could think of an answer as they passed through a ruined alley.

“Attention brave and noble defenders. All civilians have been evacuated from the city. The duce protects and cherishes all of his citizens. You all are important, all valued. Lions amongst men and that your cause is just and good.” A propaganda broadcast echoed through the street, but they all looked in disbelief and shock at wrecked tanks, probably from the bombers or the separated soldiers, seeing also a few dead civilians in the rubble.

The kids could clearly see the disillusionment in the soldiers, with Tim, slightly shaking. ”Matteo, take the children out of here!”

“What?” He turned around in surprise and they saw the young man had a very scared expression.

“It's suicide and their doom! They're going to die! Don't you see? There's nothing but death in this! There're too many of them!” he exclaimed in fear, having a breakdown.

“Quiet!” Vogel exclaimed. “Take a deep breath, private, we’ll be all safe soon.

“Tim, I promised Willi to keep you safe, promised Fletcher to keep the children safe. Together, we will make it. Trust us.” Konrad said to him in a calming voice and he nodded slowly.

As they took a left turn, the came to a street blocked by rubble and barbed wire, but there was an entrance to a subway station. “I always loved to ride the trains,” Matteo mumbled at the memories before they heard a loud whistle and he looked up in fear. “Artillery! Quickly, into the metro! This way!”

They all barely made it in before the ceiling collapsed from the barrage. “We won’t get out that way,” Konrad commented at the sight.

The lights were on but went off from the loud rumbling. “Let’s wait a few seconds to give our eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness. Matteo suggested and after a few moments, their vision improved.

Overall, the metro looked mostly intact but abandoned, a few train cars standing idle and forgotten, but parts of the metro were collapsing. “The place is collapsing!” David exclaimed with worry.

“We are going to be crushed... Or buried alive!” Hans added as he realized.

Dinky and the siblings looked at each other with unease, nor of them wanted to die, or suffering this kind of a painful death.

Yet after a few minutes, Matteo led them to what looked like another entrance, blocked by a gate and he tried to open it. “Dammit, it’s stuck!”

“Enemy infantry!” Karl explained as the saw squads of Rifleman coming from the other side.

“Hold them back!” Conti yelled and his comrades did as told, Dinky, Katja and Blau pressed themselves against some pillars for cover as bullets flew past them, seeing how he beats on the door in an attempt to open it before a loud rumbling noise sounded.

“What is that noise?!” Dinky wondered, having a bad feeling about this. Whatever it was, it didn’t sound good.

“Return fire! Keep them off me!” Matteo yelled as the fight went on and suddenly they heard squeaking sounds.

“Rats!!!” Katja exclaimed in surprise and a bit in disgust as a few of them ran past her, away from the allied troops. Whatever caused them to run must been very scary, the kids were sure of that.

“Almost got it!"

“Hurry, Matteo!” Blau yelled at him before eyes went wide as the metro rumbled again.

Behind the allied troops came a huge wave of water, straight towards them. It was large enough to take everything in its path with it, at an alarming speed. None of them had ever seen anything like this.

Dinky watched in shock as the water sweep away everything in its path. Barrels, sandbags, barbed wire, debris. It looked like a gigantic monster, swallowing everything as the Allied soldiers turned around in surprise before it hit them.

Tim screamed, “LOOK OUT!!!”

The children stared at it in fear, not thinking anyone could survive this.

“Got it!!” Matteo’s voice ringed in their ears.

“My Gosh!!!” The little unicorn screamed in fear as the wave hit her and everyone else and her vision went black.

Author's Note:

I find the last Tiger campaign of Battlefield 5 is well made. And do I need to tell where I based the ending on?