• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 420 Views, 26 Comments

A Black Sun Rises - Bronycommander



A month passed since the Adventure of Dinky, Katja and Blau Streifen in Africa. But another, much bigger challenger awaits them on Earth

  • ...
2
 26
 420

Chapter 20 Tidings of Comfort and Joy

Chapter 20: Tidings of Comfort and Joy

Fletcher blinked in confusion, then smiled weakly. “Children…I was so worried…” Tears of joy left his eyes as he gave them a gentle hug.

Out of the corner of their eyes, they saw a nurse also crying a tear of joy before walking out of the room and returned with a doctor.

“How are you feeling?” The doctor asked them.

“Numb, Doctor,” Dinky replied, her friends managed to do a weak nod.

“Okay. Please try to relax. There’s plenty of time. I need to tell you something. Please listen, and try not to panic.” He said with an uneasy voice, making the kids wonder why. “You've been in a coma for…quite some time. Yes, yes, I know. You’d like to know how long…” The doctor paused, it was not easy to tell. “I’m afraid it’s been two months.”

Dinky, Katja and Blau felt their hearts steadily pound harder and faster, breathing rapidly, trying to move as Fletcher grabbed them and lit up his horn. “Calm down.” He said as his magic engulfed them and they tried to stay awake but felt quickly sleepy, closing their eyes. “Now then…You’ll be alright.” It was the last they heard before everything went black.

None of them could tell when they woke up again. Their brains were in a storm of cross-information and confusion. They had been in a coma for two months. How long had been that in Equestria? Had their families and friends still hope? Or had they been declared dead?

I can’t imagine how worried they must be… Dinky thought before the door opened and Fletcher walked in, followed by the doctor and the nurse, a weak smile on his lips.

“I am happy to see my efforts to save you weren’t in vain. You’ve lost some strength but I’ve maintained your muscle mass through some healing spells.”

Yet, Dinky could only think of one question. “We’re we really in a coma for so long?” She asked with fear and Fletcher nodded with a sigh.

“Yes, it’s late November now. But I’m sure your families have still hope.”

“He’s right, children.” The nurse added and they recognized her as Wendy Thwaites.

“Indeed. You should try on recovering for now, trying to get out of the bed.” The doctor said and Katja then noticed that she was wearing a white robe, her clothes folded on a table next to her.

“Also, you have a visitor.” Fletcher stepped aside and they saw William walking in, happy to see them.

“Hello, children. It’s nice to see you have woken up.” He said and Dinky returned it.

“Likewise, William. We thought you had died when the Germans counterattacked.” Dinky said with relief in her voice.

“Luckily, I didn’t, nor did Ford or Duffy. We managed to repel the counterattack with heavy losses. For that, 3rd Battalion and Able Company were allowed to rest and to prepare to liberate France. When I heard what happened to you, I feared the worst. Now, focus on recovering, children.”

In the next days, feeling slowly came back to their bodies, tickling as they tried to move an arm. Then they tried to walk. “Okay, here we go,” Dinky said as legs wobbled, the same was with the siblings, shakily making a first step, only to trip with the friends but Fletcher caught them.

As days passed, it went better and better, their more and more stable, slowly walking normally again. “Your healing is very well progressing and I’m admitting I’m impressed how fast you managed to walk again. You can go home.” The doctor said to them and Blau smiled.

“Nice! But…where are we staying?” He wondered and Hill held up his hand.

“At my home, my family is already informed.” He said and led them outside, a cold wind brushed against their skin as two Bentley Mark V pulled up. The first was dark blue in color, the other dark red.

Out if the dark blue war stepped a woman and boy. The former seemed to be in her late thirties, black hair and green, eyes. The boy seemed to be about thirteen, his hair was black, but had Williams’s eye color as he hugged his father. “Dad, nice to see you.” Then he let go and saw the others. “Are those…”He asked a bit confused, pointing at the ponies.

“Righto, my son. Fletcher Fray, Dinky Hooves, Katja and her brother Blau Streifen.” He introduced and the four waved with smiles.

“Hello there,” Fray said friendly and the boy and woman took a step back.

“Did the ponies just…talk?” She asked, not able to believe this.

“Well, yes. Can we talk about it at home?” The Captain asked a bit embarrassed and scratching his head.

Of course. My name is Irene but most call me Reney.” The woman introduced herself, still trying to understand.

“And I am Clifford.” The boy smiled at them.

“Are we got to go?” Duffy asked, pointing his head out of the driver seat of the red car and they nodded, the siblings driving with him, Dinky and Fletcher with William.

The kids were told they were in London, enjoying the sight as the radio played Dinah Shore and Buddy Clark Baby It's Cold Outside. Despite the war going on, there were barely sights of it, save for some soldiers on leave and military trucks driving around.

As the cars arrived at the Hill’s home, a loud engine sound echoed in the ponies’ ears, looking up into the sky, seeing two Lancaster flying overhead, making them look at them in awe.

The home of the family looked very comfortable. A telephone and radio were in the living room. “Nice place you have here,” Katja commented, liking it.

Then she noticed what looked like a cat tree in the corner, with two caves and two green eyes peeked out. “Meow?” It sounded from the upper cave and a cat came out. Its coat was similar to a tiger, black stripes and a cream/white color.

“Ah, say hello to our guests, Emmeline,” Clifford said and the cat climbed down, eyeing the four with curiosity.

The girl smiled and crouched. “Hello, Emmeline.” She held out her hand, the cat sniffed at it and started to purr and smooched it, doing the same with the ponies and the boy grinned.

“She already likes you.”

“You can listen to music until Dinner is ready,” Irene suggested before she and her husband walked into the kitchen. While they made dinner, William told her about Fletcher and his young friends causing her to look with sympathy at them. “Poor kids, separated so far from home and then this…But you and Fletcher can be proud of yourselves. And I am proud of you that you helped them.” She kissed him and he smiled.

“I know. Somehow, Dinky and her two friends reminded of our son when I first saw them back in Africa.”

“Oof!” Dinky cried out and the two saw how she was lying on her back, getting up. “Hey,” she said with a grin to Emmeline before the cat poked her nose and she fell over again, doing the same with the siblings and even Fletcher, causing both parents to chuckle.

Then Dinner was ready, a warm potato soup, very suiting for this time of year and all guests enjoyed the warmth of it. “That was delicious, Irene.” Dinky smiled at the woman.

“Glad to hear that. We have a guest bed and sleeping bags for you.” She replied as it became late and led them to the guest room. The siblings took the bed, Dinky a sleeping bag and Fletcher the couch, all were asleep fast.

“I’ll make sure they have a comfortable stay with us,” Clifford said as he went to bed.

“I'm sure they will, son.” William smiled at him as he went to bed with his wife. I love you.” He kissed her.

“I love you too.”


Fletcher woke up as he heard a strange noise, yet found himself in complete darkness. He drew his spear as he heard a deep breathing sound and turned around, he saw a red glow.

A figure walked into his view, it was a unicorn in a large armored suit, the red glow coming from goggles it was wearing, with a helmet and metal mask covering the face and drew a spear.

It charged at him, but Fray reacted quickly, clashing spears with it and used all his strength to push his opponent back and struck it across, it’s helmet and mask, causing it to fall off.

His opponent held its face in pain before looking up and Fletcher couldn’t believe his eyes.

The other unicorn was…himself. But the eyes were glowing red.

In disbelief and shock, Fletcher took a step back before jumping out of the way as his counterpart charged at him again and managed to hit him across the chest, stunning him.

Fletcher then rammed his spear into the back of his enemy. His counterpart let out a cry of pain and Fray pulled it out, his enemy fell dead to the ground and a white light blinded him.


A loud bang tore him out, causing him almost to fall off and gasped as he looked around, then realized, it was just a dream. Outside, it was raining, a Thunderstorm.

Then a scream and he ran to the guest room, seeing the three kids shaking and shivering, with Dinky looking at him, crying. “It hurt...It hurt more than anything I've ever felt.” She told with a shaking voice, her friends trembled. “I asked him to stop. I begged him to let me go but he just...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you, I-I"

Before she could say anything else, she found herself with her friends hugged by Fletcher. “Shh, I don't blame you, that wasn’t you, you had no control of your actions. I’m just glad you’re okay.”

He said in a comforting voice and lay down next to them. The stallion could tell they were scared by the thunderstorm and it had reminded them of what Deadhead had forced them to do. He was scared of Thunderstorms too at times, as they reminded him of the battles he fought, even Midnight and Wolf were sometimes scared of it.

Fletcher did not notice how the Hill family smiled at the scene from the hallway as he fell asleep with the children.


In the early morning, they all stirred as they woke up, noticing something heavy on their legs. Emmeline was lying on her legs, effectively preventing them from getting up. “Hey…” Blau said sleepy before Clifford walked in and chuckled at the scene.

“Emmeline, our guests have to get up now.” He said and gently lifted her up. She let herself be picked up but her claws were tugging the blanket up, as if she wanted to say "If I'm going, the blanket comes with me.” Still, the four could get up and breakfasted, noticing how the woman got their measurements down.

“Just so you have some warm clothes for the winter.” She explained and they nodded, not minding it at all.

Shortly after, she came back with the clothes. Caps and coats in four different colors. One in dark grey, the other in greyish-blue, a cream-colored version and the last one was completely white. “The dark gray is for you, Blau Streifen, the other one for you, Dinky. Katja, you have the cream color and Fletcher, I thought white could suit you for missions during this time of year.”

“Thank you. What have you planned for today?” The stallion asked.

“Showing you the city and visit, Ford and Duffy in the barracks.”

And with that the family showed them the city, they all four enjoyed it greatly, the Big Ben rather startlingly similar to Trottingham's own 'Tall Toby'.

Then they walked to the barracks, which were not far from their home.

At the entrance, a guard stopped them. “Sorry, this barrack’s closed.”

“What do you mean?” William asked confused.

“Due to ongoing training, absolutely no visitors are to be allowed for the next 24 hours. By orders of the base commander.”

“But I am stationed here too. Get the commander on the phone, I’m sure he’ll make an exception.” The Captain stated.

“Sorry, we are completely blacked out.” The guard replied.

“What?”

“Due to ongoing training, absolutely no radio communications will be allowed for the next 24 hours.” The guard stated firm.

William sighed. “Ah, bugger it. Sorry, my friends.” He said with disappointment in his voice but Dinky gave him a smile.

“It’s okay, we can visit Ford another time.” The other nodded in agreement and turned around.

“Soldier, what’s the problem?” An officer walked up and they all turned around, seeing it was Major Blackmore. “Ah, it’s you, Captain. I see you wanted to visit your friends here?” He asked friendly.

“Yes, sir.”

“Then enter.”

“Uh, sir, with all due respect, you ordered no interruptions by anyone.” The guard pointed out to the Major.

“But he’s a soldier stationed here, he is an exception with his family and friends.”

The guard saluted. “Yes, sir.”

“Thank you, Major. Have you seen Christopher?” William asked and Blackmore just pointed ahead, seeing the American trying to repair a generator with a fellow soldier.

Gah! This worthless pile of junk still won't start!” Ford complained.

“Are you still trying to start that generator?” HIs fellow soldier asked and Ford sighed.

“No, I'm working on my upper body strength, one arm at a time.”

“I'll bet it's because of the cold.”

“Tell me, do you often make such shrewd observations? You should seriously consider officer's training.” Christopher replied slightly annoyed.

“I think you need to crank it harder.”

“Look, are you acting stupid just to annoy me?! Do you not see me here, practically tearing my own arm off?! The goddamn thing won't start because the goddamn thing is frozen solid!!!”

“Hey! Relax, will you? I was just trying to be helpful.”

“You want to be helpful? Well, go look for some anti-freeze then! Don't just stand here making idiotic comments!” Ford yelled.

“Excuse me?” William asked and the Rifleman filched, looking up with a frustrated expression before smiling.

“Ah, it’s you. Nice to see you are doing well after all this, kids. Sorry, just a bit stressed right now.” He apologized and lowered his head.

Blau Streifen waved a hoof. “None taken, we are happy to see you. Where’s Duffy?”

“At the Firing Range, practicing.” He pointed to it and they all walked over, seeing how Dufy was shorting his rifle, also noticing that he was operating the bolt with the thumb and index finger and pulled the trigger with his middle finger. They had seen him firing like this before in Africa and Italy.

“Nice shooting.” Fletcher complimented and Duffy smiled at them.

“Thanks. Practice makes perfect.” He replied proudly.

“Why do you shoot like that?” Blau asked curiously.

“Simple, really. To achieve to high rate of fire. It comes from a pre-World War I bolt-rifle speed shooting exercise, called ‘The Mad Minute,’ where you have to fire 15 rounds within 60 seconds. It’s used to grade a soldier as a marksman, first-class or second-class shot, depending on the scores he had achieved.”

“I see. And you did really master it.”

“Thanks.”

“Hey, Jack, how’s it going?” William asked and the four saw him chatting with a fellow Brit at the end of the firing range.

“Lola and Lucy, they’re doing well. The little girl’s so smart for her age. And how are your wife and son doing?” Jack asked, he had, dark brown hair, a broad face, an average build, and green eyes. He was visible younger, appearing to be in his late twenties or early thirties.

“They’re doing well too. Send my regards, will you?”

“Of course, old chap,” Jack replied with a smile and walked away.

Then William walked back to his friends. “That was Jack Wilson, an old friend of mine. We got to know each other in training.” He explained to them before the Rifleman interrupted them.

“Speaking of which, there is a letter that is for you and your young friends, Fletcher.” Christopher pulled it out of his pocket and gave it to Fletcher.

“Thanks.” He replied a bit surprised, but decided with the kids to read it back at the Hill’s home. Out of the corner of their eyes, they saw how Duffy chatted with Wendy, both slightly blushing.

Back in the house, the four were curious to read the letter, slightly smiling as they saw who the sender was.



To my friends, Fletcher, Dinky, Katja and Blau,

I’m writing you to tell I am now a prisoner of war of the Western Allies, but I’m doing well. I was also informed in secret about what happened to you and tell you my condolences but I am also happy to hear you’re recovering well.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell what happened to the others, but we managed to hold the line until all remaining forces had evacuated.

I hope you all can go home soon and that our German friends will survive the war.

Faithfully yours,

Matteo



“Let’s write him back,” Dinky suggested and the others nodded, with Fletcher writing as the kids dictated.



Dear Matteo,

Thank you for the letter! We are living with William’s family in London at the moment. It’s very nice here, just as it was with you at Bitanti.

It pleases us to hear that you are well and hope this war ends soon, so that you can go back to your family.

You are a good friend and we know to appreciate that.

Fletcher, Dinky, Katja and Blau



“I get the letter mailed tomorrow. Actually, it was him we got the Intel of the train, confirmed by the Resistance. Though we had discovered the train even without him.”

“What?” Katja asked confused.

“Yes…” William replied and started to tell.


“Okay, we did it. We held them off…” Duffy let out a breath of relief. “I hope the children are okay…” He said with worry.

Hill laid a hand on his shoulder. “I am sure Fletcher keeps them safe.”

After they had replied the counterattack, they had been ordered to move in to support their allies that tried to cut off the enemy retreat.

“Get after them!” Jackson yelled as they caught up with the allied troops, seeing that the Axis troops were slowly falling back.

Hill and his fellow soldiers gave chase, firing on the enemies that tried to stall them and he threw a grenade at a group. It blasted them away and he moved in.

To his right was a squad of Axis soldiers, one Italian and two Germans. They raised their hands in surrender. “I won’t return fire! I’m no fascist!” The Italian said and they recognized him. Conti.

“Down!” Hill ordered and three knelled, with Jackson looking a two other Americans.

“You two, secure those prisoners!”

“Yes, sir.” One of the Riflemen acknowledged, yet eyed Conti with hate. “You’re all the same.” He hit the man with the butt of his rife and the Italian cried out in pain.

“Just another stooge of that bloated idiot you call 'Il Duce'!” The other one exclaimed and prepared to do the same before Hill grabbed his rifle, effectively stopping him.

It wasn’t only because of respecting him, but he knew Conti might know where Fletcher and the children were. If Conti would die, they would never find out.

“Stop right now! He has surrendered and thus quarter is to be given. Harm him and you will not find me a lenient man.” The Captain warned and Jackson nodded with disgust.

“Stand down, right now, that’s on order.” He yelled as he, Duffy, Ford and Hill saw the fear in Conti’s eyes, afraid of never seeing his family again. It was their duty to make sure prisoners were treated fairly, otherwise, they wouldn’t be better than the fascists and Nazi. A difference had to be made.

“I…I may have Intel that could help you…” He said with fear and pulled out a document, Ford took it and read it.

“This is a schedule about an ammunition train not far from here.”

“Ain’t that something? Still, we should confirm this.” The Sergeant pointed out.

“It’s good information, I swear! I got it from an Italian officer!” Their prisoner exclaimed fearfully, but Hill smiled.

“Don’t worry, I make sure you are treated well.”


“Thank you for helping him!” The three kids hugged the Brit with grateful expressions.

“It’s nothing, children. I just couldn’t let your friend suffer, after all he had done to help you, and for Konrad.”

Time passed and it became evening and they had dinner. The radio was playing Dean Martin - Let it snow and the fireplace was warming the house.

“Dinky, is the fire still lit enough?” Irene asked and the filly took a look.

The glow was slowly dying and she was about to call out but then, she saw the ghostly Royal Guard with her friends again. The guard looked at the fireplace and after a short moment, it ignited again and the guard tipped its helmet at them and they just stared. “What about the fire?” The woman called out after getting no response from them.

“Still glowing,” Dinky replied.

After Dinner, Dinky and the siblings played in the living room, while Fletcher helped with cleaning the dishes and had to smile as he looked after Dinky, Katja and Blau.

They all had fallen asleep in front of the fireplace, Emmeline snuggled against them, drawings in their arms.

The three young children had drawn their families. “Ahh, that’s really well drawn. I think I got a good Christmas present idea…” She smiled.

Time went fast and it became December, with London being snowy and decorated for Christmas. William went shopping as his guests helped out in the house and called out, “I am back!” as he got home.

“Welcome home!” The three ponies and girl gritted them, seeing he carried five large rectangular cards with "windows”, counting one to twenty-four and they realized what it was supposed to be.

Advent calendars. “I thought you would like it too, my friends.” The Captain smiled at his guests, with the children grinning.

“Thank you!” Dinky exclaimed, Fletcher looked rather surprised at it.

“For me? I know to appreciate it but…I’m no colt anymore.”

“It’s filled with chocolate and you are never too old for that.” William countered and Fletcher nodded.

“Point taken.”

“What do you want for Christmas, uncle?” The filly asked curiously and he thought for a moment.

“Well, I enjoy watching sunsets and sunrises, and like the sound of the ornamental clock.” He said before getting his calendar into the guest room and Dinky grinned.

“That got me an idea. Do you have a workshop, William?” She asked and he nodded.

“Just down in the basement.” He said and the three kids walked down, something told him what they had in mind.


Fletcher woke up as he heard a strange noise and saw a shadow at the end. Taking a look, he saw a shadow of a unicorn stallion with a halo around the corner. “Solomon?!” Fletcher exclaimed and carefully moved around the corner.

To his surprise, it wasn’t his archenemy, but an action figure of him, positioned in front of a flashlight, so it looked like Solomon himself was standing around the corner. “Who would come up with this?” He wondered before the horn of the toy started to blink.

“Burn, Heretics!” The toy yelled in a mechanic, yet high-pitched voice, firing small BB pellets, that looked like flames at Fletcher, and he couldn’t help but be amused by this. “I guess Blau would like it. Pip or Tungsten probably too.”


Then he woke up, realizing it was early in the morning of 24th December. Time went fast went it was evening and he saw how Dinky put the star on the tip of the Christmas tree with her magic before smiling at him. “You first.” She said happily and handled with the siblings his present, a large rectangular form.

He unwrapped it and his eyes went wide. “Children…” He mumbled stunned. It was an ornamental clock, dark blue in color. The dial had a sun and moon, slowly rotating. “That’s a wonderful gift!”

“Glad to hear it! We all worked on it together.” Dinky explained proudly, “I worked on the mechanic, Katja and Blau did the design! And a little special. Watch.”

As she said this, the moon reached the top and a small flap above it opened, a small, blue metal Alicorn came out. “Huzzah!” a female voice called out and Fray grinned.

“A Cuckoo clock. A really nice idea. Now, open your gifts:”

They did as told and all three smiled. “Wow!” It was three badges with a symbol on it, divided into four parts.

First was a full moon on a black background.

Then a black sword over the moon, pointing north.

Then two crisscrossed daggers with silver blades and blue hilts over the sword.

Then three golden arrows with green fletchings pointing south, south-east and south-west.

The symbol of the Eternal Knights, the Seal of the Watch Eternal. “Thank you, Fletcher!” They all hugged him and he smiled back.

“Don’t forget the other presents.” Clifford gave the three friends his presents and the unwrapped them too.

Blau Streifen smiled as his present was a small bow and arrow set. “Now I can be an archer like you, Fletcher!”

The stallion chuckled as Katja looked at her present with glee, a ruby red bracelet. “Thank you!”

Then Dinky looked at her two presents. A pocket watch with a blue phone booth on the dial and a periscope. “That’s very nice!”

“Glad to hear it, I figured out given your interests you would like this,” Clifford replied, then his parents have the three children their presents.

Four toy horses that resembled Derpy, her husband, Ruby and Mitta, their cutie marks sowed on in form of fabric. “We worked on it together. Merry Christmas, children.” William said and they all smiled at him.

In the next morning, Fletcher awoke as the sun shined it and the flap opened as the sun reached the top of the dial. A black Alicorn, wings spread, with a golden mane on a yellow background with a red borderas as Cutie Mark came out of the flap. The national symbol of Farmany.

“Guten Morgen.” It said in a low, calm voice before retracting and the unicorn smiled.

That was really a smart idea from them.

New Year’s Eve came fast and he counted down with the three children. “10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Happy new year!” They exclaimed, clinging a glass of juice with the others, celebrating the New Year, also hoping that Conti as POW, Escher and his squad mates could enjoy it too.

A few days later, Fletcher taught Blau how to use his toy bow, it had suction cups at the end instead of a tip to avoid injuries. “Okay, remember, control your breathing, keep it steady.” Blau did as told, exhaling as he fired at the target in a hall of the base, scoring five points out of ten as he hit the outer blue area. “Impressive for your first try.” The stallion commented.

“Thanks!” Blau grinned with joy.

“I go shopping, want to come?” Irene asked, Dinky and Katja were already with her, Blau nodded, while Fletcher stayed at home with Clifford.

As he looked after the boy, he took notice how Emmeline walked up to his bow, which was in a bow stand and hit the bowstring with her paw.

Zoing!

Fletcher just chuckled at this. “Curious cat.” Then he checked on the boy. “Clifford, how’s it going?” He asked as he saw him reading a book in his room.

“Reading about horse biology and a bit of Greek mythology. Mind if I ask you something?” Clifford was curious.

“Not at all.”

“So the unicorn's horn is made of keratin?” That question surprised Fletcher but he answered it

“Only the outer layer. The interior is a thin bone containing a marrow-like pulp made up of tissue and blood and connected to both the heart and nervous system which circulates magic around the body and allows it to be channeled as spells.

“Quite fascinating. Does it regrow if broken off?

“It can do, sometimes. But often the loss is enough to trigger shock which stunts its regrowth permanently. Although it can be reattached with careful procedures.”

“This really is quite fantastic. And is there any sort of creature that attempts to steal the horns?” The boy asked interested.

Now and again. There are some Changeling variants that actively dislodge horns from unicorn bodies and feed on the memories. Nasty business. There's also Gloom Hags, Centaur Shamans, Ripper Boggarts, Dwimmer Dogs, Blood-Moon Batponies...For one reason or another.”

“Any cultures that use them as an aphrodisiac?” Fletcher blinked at Clifford’s question

“...Excuse me...what did you say?”

“Aphrodisiacs. Apparently there are many animals that are hunted across the world for body parts that are meant to increase sexual potency in the human male. Ground up into powders and oils and such. I was wondering if you have the same problems in Equestria?” Clifford asked with innocence and Fletcher hesitated.

“Aren't you a little...young to know about this?

“No, it says so in my book.”

Fletcher just glanced at the book and shook his head “The things they let kids read these days!”

“If you say so, sir. “Clifford said, “Also, could you help me with my homework?”

“Of course, where do you need help?” Fletcher replied, knowing this was a nice change.

“Geometry.”

“Well, this should be easy.”


Dinky, Katja and Blau returned from shopping as they heard Clifford’s voice. “Calculating circumference, you must calculate the total of the triangle’s sides. And for the area, you need to multiply the base with the corresponding height and divide the product by 2. Given your skills, you should understand it easily.”

“Course when I was a colt I spent most of my time learning how to peg a harpy through the eye at fifty yards,” Fletcher replied and they all saw the two doing math calculation, with the boy explaining to Fletcher.

“Having a little trouble?” The elderly man asked and Fletcher nodded.

“Yeah, I wanted to help with the homework but turns out my geometry knowledge is a bit rusty.” He admitted in embarrassment, his head slightly lowered.

“That’s fine, I’m sure you get it the hang of it in no time,” Dinky said confidently and he smiled weakly.

In the evening, Fletcher brought the three kids to bed before William asked him, “Might if I invite you to the Pub?”

“Not at all.”

Enjoying the sunset, they both walked through the streets until they came to the Pub, seeing Duffy, Ford and Jackson there. “Glad you could come. It’s for you, Fletcher.” Duffy said with a smile.

“Thanks, I know to appreciate that,” Fletcher replied and took an alcohol-free beer, enjoying the taste, while the soldiers chatted.

After a while, three young men walked in and one of them looked at William with a smile. “Bartender, give that man a drink!” He did as told, yet William had a neutral expression. “Sir, we are going to volunteer for liberating France. We will be heroes just like you!” The young man said excited. “What was it like over there back in 1940?”

Hill raised his glass and said, ”Bugger it."

The three men did the same, toasting with him. “Bugger it!” Then they walked out, with the Captain glancing at them, grinning.

“What was that about?” Fletcher wondered, though he had a suspicion and Hill sighed.

“I know to appreciate their willingness to serve and their respect of me, but they have no idea what it really is on the front. The landings in Italy, we landed under heavy fire and I doubt France will be different…They will learn this all the hard way.”

“I hear ya. I see it also too often…” Fletcher understood this feeling well.

Despite this, they enjoyed the evening and in the next day, Fletcher and the kids cleared the snow outside, singing as they did this.

“Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

And we'll all stay free



Praise the Lord and swing into position

Can't afford to be a politician

Praise the Lord, we're all between perdition

And the deep blue sea



Yes the sky pilot said it

Ya gotta give him credit

For a sonofagun of a gunner was he



Shouting Praise the Lord, we're on a mighty mission

All aboard, we ain't a-goin' fishin'

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

And we'll all stay free”



The kids were making a snowpony, using a carrot for the tail and another that made it look like a unicorn. “Look, Uncle Fletcher, that’s you!” Dinky exclaimed happy and Fletcher grinned.

“Looks very nice.” Then the house started to crack and he looked up in fear. “Uh-Oh.”

In a flash and with a loud rumble, a roof avalanche buried him, now looking exactly like the snowpony before freeing himself from the snow. “Are you okay?” Blau asked with concern and Fletcher waved a hoof, although he was shivering slightly.

“I am fine.”

In the morning as William checked on his guests, he heard coughing from the living room and saw that Fletcher’s nose was red, the coughing came from him as he laid on the couch. “I guess the snow has taken its toll?” He asked and the stallion nodded.

“Yeah…normally the nanomites prevent that I get sick easily, but I guess that the shock was too much,” Fletcher replied before coughing violently.

“Don’t worry, Uncle, we’ll take care of you!” Dinky smiled and brought him a bottle of water, the siblings went into the kitchen to make him a warm soup.

“Thanks, children.” He said with a smile as they put it on the table, getting up to ate and drink. But then, Emmeline jumped onto the couch and poked his nose and he fell back. She repeated the process as he got up and Clifford chuckled.

“That means: You’re sick, so stay down.”

“Bed rest is a good medicine anyway.” Fletcher chuckled at this, taking it easy.

“But, what about your magic?” Blau asked, remembering how they had ended up in Africa because of their friend getting sick.

“Don’t worry, as Portal-travel effect, unicorn magic is limited, so this won’t be an issue.” The stallion assured them.

“Good to know.”

As Fletcher focused on recovering, William took the time to visit Duffy, chatting with him. “And old Cousin Elizabeth says, in her usual high-strung manner 'Society is simply cascading down around us!' Don't ask me why she didn't just say 'fall' like normal chaps.” He said.

“But this is to which my boy, who's been quiet for a time, suddenly cries out 'Cascadius! That's the name! Perfect!'. We all ask what the devil he's talking about and he says he was trying to come up with a villain for a book he says he's writing, a villain who plans to bring down society and he didn't want a name that sounded 'too' evil, a neutral name, he said, one that could sound both good or bad. And he wouldn't 'look' good or bad either. He would look and sound quite normal, he said, deceiving those around him but his actions would determine him and those actions would be unspeakable, making us question the whole 'beautiful hero, ugly villain' stereotype.”

Duffy raised an eyebrow with a confused expression. “Your boy sounds...a bit strange.”

Hill chuckled. “Oh doubtless. But then again, name one man who went far in life who wasn't a bit strange. I don't know if he'll ever get around to writing it but he keeps notes and you know someone'll find them one day.”

“Very likely….”

Around late January, Fletcher had recovered from his cold, taking a deep breath of the evening air. “Much better, able again to breathe, not having a dense nose.”

“Indeed. Now, let’s hit the hay.” William suggested and Fray nodded.

“Right. Thank you for the hospitality.” He replied before the street lights went out, large spotlights illuminated the sky, sirens sounded. “An air raid?”

“Yes, follow me!” William said with a hint of fear, the four children had scared expressions as they got led to a shelter not far from the house. “It's handy to have a shelter just around the corner. Now, get some rest, it will be a long night.”

They all slept peaceful, during the air raid.

To their surprise in the morning, they saw barely any damage on the buildings on the way back, with the hill’s home completely intact. “It seems they missed their targets.” William suspected with relief.

“Was…was your home destroyed by bombs during the blitz?” Katja asked, sounding rather afraid of this.

“No, it wasn’t. Actually, our home is far on the outer limits of London, so we were mostly spared from the bombs. And it’s surprising they try it again, back in 1943, they only did three night raids on the capital.” The elderly man mumbled as they got back into their home.

The days passed and it was now early February, Fletcher got awoken by the ornamental clock and he got up, making breakfast for his three friends. “Good morning-“ He cut himself off as he saw them coughing, noses red.

“Uncle…” Dinky said with a pained voice. “I’ think… we got sick too by you…”

The siblings nodded before coughing and he smiled weakly. “Then let me repay your caring.”

With that, he brought them some water and made warm soups, happy to see their smiles as he carrying the drinks and food to them. Like with him, Emmeline made sure they stayed in bed, not that they minded, having to chuckle when they got poked by the cat.

As time passed, the three children chatted with Clifford. “That’s really a nice pocket watch. How did you get it?” Dinky wanted to know and the boy looked down.

“From a man that helped me back in 1940. During an Air raid, I got separated from my parents and got lost. I was scared out of my head, alone on that street so I ran through the alleys but I just got even more lost. Then I found him in the alleyway. He looked like he'd been running too. He was all in a rush. I didn't get a good look at him, it was too dark, except he had a Northern English accent. I didn't have much other way out so I followed him out. We found the shelter and my parents were there.”

He looked up with a smile. “I thanked him. He said there wasn't any need though. That's when he gave me this pocket watch. He said it could come in handy and that I'd need it more than him. He kept saying this watch was 'fantastic'. I think he liked that word a lot. I never saw him again after that. But what you went through, what my parents told me about, I think you could use this more than me. Think of it a good luck charm.”

The filly managed to smile. “That’s very nice from you. I will look after it.”

During their recovery, The Luftwaffe attacked London six times, but most bombs missed again, with them all getting to the shelter without problems. It was early Match when the kids had fully recovered.

Fletcher looked in the early morning after the kids and saw they were still asleep, so he decided to take a stroll, leaving a note.

Barely outside, he heard the rustle of a bush and Emmeline poked her head out with a friendly meow. “Ah, good morning, Emmeline. Watch the kids while I am gone, okay?” He said, petting her and she purred. “I take that as a yes.”

As he walking through the countryside, enjoying the sun, he had to stop as a few US soldiers ran across the street, doing a maneuver, so he turned around.

But as he walked a few steps, he saw another squad in front of him doing the same, so he turned around again, only to see a third squad running towards him, Christopher among them.

Ford stopped as he saw the stallion and Fletcher raised his hooves in surrender with a grin. “You've done it now yanks, you've captured me.” Fray joked, causing the private to grin before both heard a yell and saw another squad marching down the road. “Would that be the enemy?”

“As a matter of facts, yes,” Ford replied and tipped his helmet before both moved on.

Then the stallion walked back, enjoying the soft wind breeze, not suspecting anything as suddenly, a black car stopped inform of him and the driver asked, “Fletcher Fray?”

Surprised, the stallion hesitated before replying, “Yes?”

“Please come with us.” The driver said and his co-driver opened the passenger door in the back.

“Why should I?” The stallion asked it distrust.

“It’s for the safety of your young friends.” The driver stated. Fletcher eyed him with distrust, but something told him, yet something told him not to argue.

Knowing he had no other choice, the unicorn got in without a word.

He wondered where he was taken to until the car reached the OSA building , which surprised him as he entered. “Mr. Fray, come in.” The director greeted him. “I apologize for the circumstances but we have found out something you should know.”

“What is it?” The knight asked curious.

“Agent Blazkowicz recovered a strange Medallion from his recent mission.” The director showed him a picture of a hand-sized device resembling a clock face, composed of a disk-shaped body with a four-bladed rotor above it.

“What has to do this with me?”

“The medallion's a symbol that was used by an obscure clan of mystics; they worshipped something called the Black Sun. Who they were was lost centuries ago when the group was killed in a cataclysmic event. Then just a few decades ago, the symbol was adopted by the Thule Society; a German occult group that has a number of high ranking Nazis among its members.” Jack explained.

“But even more intriguing than that are the crystals the medallion contains. We believe one of those crystal was what started your mission to get your friends home, based on what we got told about you.” The director added and Jack continued.

“They can only found at one place on Earth; a city in Germany called Isenstadt.”

“We made contact with resistance fighters of the Kreisau Circle there. They had some very interesting information.”

Jack showed Fray a picture of a SS officer, looking very broad. “This is General Victor Zetta, a rising star in Himmler's Paranormal Division. In the last few weeks he established a large operation in Isenstadt - but what they're doing there is unknown.”

“So you want me to find out with Blazkowicz what is going on there?” Fray concluded and the director nodded.

“Yes, Travel arrangements have already been made. We also believe it might help you to stop the interference. Sorry to send you back into the field, Mr. Fray, but you've dealt with this kind of thing before.

“Not a problem. Can I at least say goodbye to my friends before I go?”

“Sure.”

With that an answer, Fletcher got back to the Hill’s house and informed everyone. “Can we escort you to the transport?” Dinky asked with a hint of sadness in her voice and he nodded.

But as they barely got far, Dinky saw a large dog running out from one of the neighbor houses, towards them, barking aggressively.

This startled the three children and they took fearful a step back, with Fletcher taking a protective stance, but what happened next, surprised everyone.

Emmeline ran towards the dog with a hiss, his expression became one of fear as he saw the cat and ran back into his house, the cat in close pursuit. Seconds later, Emmeline walked out of the house, her tail proudly into the air, with the neighbors applauding her action.

“Uhh…” Fletcher was lost for words as William chuckled.

“This dog of our neighbor is quite known for scaring everyone that walks past his house, it’s about time someone taught him a lesson.”

Fletcher then chuckled, as he could not help himself but imagine one of White Wolf’s wild silver winter wolves was in the dog’s place and how embarrassing that would be for her.

Despite this, they reached a harbor town, where he hugged the three children. “Goodbye, I will come back as soon as possible.”

“Be careful, uncle.” The three said in in uision and he gently broke the hug.

“Of course I will.”

Then Dinky, Katja and Blau walked back home, their minds filled with worry. “I hope he comes back alive…Remember what happened in Africa when he tried to take care of the interference?” Dinky shivered at the thought.

“We can only hope and pray for the best.” Blau pointed out.

“I just hope it won’t be so-“ Katja couldn’t finish as the street lights went out, large spotlights illuminated the sky, sirens sounded “Air raid!” She exclaimed in alert, but the darkness made it very difficult to recognize the streets.

Knowing they had little time, Dinky looked around and spotted a weak light at the far end of the street.” Over there!”

They ran towards it as fast as they could, coming to a small hatch and they climbed in, Dinky closed the hatch, breathing heavily. “We made it…”

Then suddenly, everything started to move and they quickly realized that wasn’t a shelter. “What…Where are we?” The young girl mumbled confused.

“Children?” What are you doing here?” Fletcher's voice came from behind, but they could just stare at him as realization slowly took them.

They were now with him on the transport to Isenstadt.