• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 418 Views, 26 Comments

A Black Sun Rises - Bronycommander



A month passed since the Adventure of Dinky, Katja and Blau Streifen in Africa. But another, much bigger challenger awaits them on Earth

  • ...
2
 26
 418

Chapter 4 The legend returns

Chapter 4: The legend returns

Once again, Fletcher Fray was en route on Earth, just as the children had thought.

He hadn’t expected to be on Earth again, or with the same objective as last time, but he was ready to do it again, not hesitating a bit.

There was no telling what kind of danger they could get in, and he was their uncle and friend, he couldn’t just leave them.

Fletcher was walking through a landscape, meadow and forest as far as he could see, wearing a camo-cloak and hood, not bothered at all by the warm sun.

The stallion could still remember how everything was when he and the others found out what happened.


“Why would they leave the blanket behind like that if they were playing?” Midnight was suspicious.

“They could have been kidnapped.” The unicorn suspected.

“Possible, but I think that thing might have the answer.” Wolf pointed to what looked like a weakly glowing crystal on the ground.

“Never seen anything like that before.” Fletcher said as he inspected it with a scan spell. “Teleportation...No...Trans-dimensional magic. Portal-creation crystal. I can't tell what kind it is but that's definitely the kind of magic it resonates.”

Midnight groaned. “And it just so happens to wander into the hooves of a pre-teen picnic. Fan-bucking-tastic! Right, Princess Luna will need to be informed.”

“Let’s hurry, there is no time to waste.” Wolf concluded and they moved out.

“Any idea how that crystal could have appeared here?” Midnight asked Fetcher who shook his head.

“Not a clue, but I’m sure it’s not from here. Doesn’t really look like its Equestrian magic at all to me.”

“If it was used by somepony to capture them, we must be careful.” Midnight added. “But I doubt that’s the case, I mean, if it was, the crystal shouldn’t be here.”

“I’m sure Wagensroll and Patch can find it out. Until then, we can only hope and pray for the best.”

“Yes. Still, I dread to tell their parents the news.” Wolf said with pity in her voice.

Once in Canterlot, Luna was quite surprised to see them. “My loyal knights, what is it?” She asked with a smile as they bowed.

“Your highness, we afraid to report that Dinky and the siblings may have gone missing again.” Midnight said with regret in his voice.

Luna’s expression became slightly shocked upon hearing it. “Do you have an idea how this has happened?”

Fletcher showed her the crystal. “We found this near their picnic side. I did a scan on it and it showed recent portal magic.”

The princess of the night put a hoof to her chin, thinking for a moment. “Then we should hurry. May I say it myself?”

“Of course.”

As Luna took a look, she became curious, noticing something odd. “Strange, I know this magic signature but I can’t remember from where.”

“I’ll inform Patch and Wagensroll.” Midnight said and walked out.

Thanks to the previous incident, Patch and Wagensroll could figure within fifteen to thirty minutes, yet Fletcher saw the worry in Derpy’s and Ruby’s eyes.

“They barely escaped death the last time…” Ruby trembled at the thought.

“I bring them back safe and sound, that, I promise.” Fletcher said in an attempt to calm them down as Patch had news.

“I and Wagensroll finished analyzing the portal power of the crystal. It appears it sent the children again on Earth, this time into a rural area.”

“Okay.” Fletcher replied and put the clothes provided for it on, together with his armor, a jacket, belts and medallions of black, navy and silver. He also took the two awards he got in Africa and the German weapons. “The awards, lucky charm.” He explained before he concentrated to activate the portal spell.

“Let us go together on this one, Fletch.” Wolf pleaded.

“Yes, together, we are strong.” Midnight added.

“It’s worth a try.” The unicorn replied and tried to calibrate it so they all could get through, groaning and it flickered before he had to stop, catching his breath.

Midnight tried to touch it, it buzzed and he pulled his hoof back with a slight hiss of pain. “Damn it.”

They all three looked at each other, unsure what to say until Fletcher broke it.

“I’m afraid I have to do on my own.”

“Fletch…” Wolf looked at him with an uneasy expression.

The green stallion gently took the mare’s hoof. “I’m sorry, I have to do this alone.”

“Fletch...The last time you went in alone, you crossed paths with one of the worst ponies we've ever met and found yourself an inch from death...twice. We don't get unlimited chances, not even in our line of work” Wolf said concerned, raising her eyebrow with uncertainty.

“I’m really sorry, but it’s the only way. Sending us all through would need too much magic.”

Midnight sighed. “Alright. Now go! Let the legend come back to life!”

Fletcher chuckled. “Of course, I will.” Then he lit up his horn and cast the spell.


Fletcher kissed both awards, hoping the children were fine and that he wasn’t too late. The German weapons had no ammo, but he was sure he would find some soon or later.

Still, it didn’t take long for him to realize where he was exactly as he read road signs. They looked very familiar to the Bitalian language back home, a language which he was very familiar with.

“They're in Italy? Way better than the desert. I wonder if the pizzas and spaghetti taste really as good as they say. Always wanted to try it.” He mumbled distracted before realizing what he just said, shaking his head. ”What am I thinking? Stay focused!”

He had eaten a few times with the Ford family, enjoying the pasta Konrad had made every time. “Never thought that could be a disadvantage for me.”

The stallion was interrupted as he saw smoke in the distance and ran up a hill to get a good view and looked through his binoculars.

Fletcher saw men black or green camo uniforms holding up civilians near a burned house at gunpoint, with the Archer having a dark expression. Without a word, Fray took aim with his bow and aimed at the two men who were apparently in charge as they held one arm up and fired, scoring headshots as the men stumbled and hit the ground.

The other soldiers startled and stared in the direction the shot had come from, frozen. Some soldiers looked at each other and aimed their weapons into Fletcher’s direction, only to be killed too by his arrows, motivating the remaining to run. “That should show the Green Knight is back.” The unicorn commented at the sight and the civilians also moved.

Fletcher then moved down to the side and checked the bodies. The black uniformed men were Italians, members of the Blackshirts, the others belonged to the Waffen-SS. As the letter used the same weapons he processed, he decided to take some ammo.

Feeling thirsty, Fletcher took a sip from his canteen and moved on, towards south as far as his tracking spell showed where the position of the children was.

He stayed away from the roads and towns to avoid getting into trouble with the locals, yet eventually, it became evening and he set up a campfire for the night, away from the roads to avoid being seen.



A loud banging noise tore him out of his sleep, finding himself in the bed of the guest room in the Hooves’ house, wondering what caused it before he heard the crying of a young foal. “What’s going on?” He asked sleepily.

The banging was frantic, and he recognized the voice, his expression becoming one of worry.

He ran up to the door where the noise came and opened, what he saw shocked him completely.

Before him was the young unicorn, crying her heart out, but her body was wrapped up in steel, only her hooves and ears were untouched. Her face was covered in a mask of steel, several tiny eyeholes were where her eyes should be, tears pouring out. “F-Fletcher…”

“Shh…I am here for you.” he hugged her to comfort her, patting her back, “it’s gonna be alright.” He said, although he wondered if this really could be reversed.

The filly sniffed “Please… run… before it’s too late…”

“W-what?” Fray asked confused before the filly started to growl and struggled to break free, trying to bite him, he struggled with all his strength out of instinct.

“Dinky! Calm down!” The stallion yelled, but something told him it was caused by whatever had happened to her.

She managed to overpower him, throwing him over, inches away from his throat. “No! Don’t!” He yelled in vain before…


“NO!” Fletcher screamed as he shot up, panting heavily as he looked around, realizing it was just a dream. “Phew…” He wiped the sweat of his forehead and fell asleep with a sigh. Yet, he feared it could mean something, similar to his second nightmare in Africa.

Nevertheless, he slept well for the rest of the night and breakfasted before moving on again.

The sun was shining again and he enjoyed the warm weather, yet the dream refused to leave his mind. “Wasn’t that the unfortunate fate of Dinky’s counterpart in that other Equestria?” He mumbled as he started to remember. “Then I hope Dinky here, won’t have the fate…” He dreaded to imagine.

“No…I have to stay positive! I can’t let-“ Fletcher was cut off as he tripped over something and tumbled a small elevation down before coming to a stop with a cry of pain. “Ow…” Fray slowly got up, his body aching a bit as he suddenly heard a clicking sound.

Slowly looking down, his eyes became small as he realized his right hindleg was standing on a mine. Worse, he looked around to find out he had landed in a minefield in a forest, seeing mines everywhere. “Oh, no…”

Then the sound of a truck engine reached his ears and he saw an Opel Blitz coming to a halt on the road near him and two Waffen-SS soldiers stepped out, looking at him with surprised expressions before one of them looked down at a pinecone next to him and grinned at the unicorn.

Before Fletcher could fully realize what they had in mind, they threw pinecones at him to make him stagger and trigger the mine he was standing on, yet he managed to keep his balance while yelling in pain and stumbling slightly, with the two Germans mocking his actions.

Luckily, the two soldiers ran out of pinecones after having thrown around fifteen, looking around for more in frustration. Fletcher gasped in fear as they spotted another one just a few meters in front of them and made a dash for it.

One of them tripped and fell over, with his comrade coming to a halt, his expression terrified, as both realized something.

They were now trapped in the minefield too.

As Fletcher saw some pinecones near himself, he decided to return the favor and threw some at the standing man with his magic, he also stumbled, barely keeping his balance before he got hit in the face and fell over.

The unicorn shook his head as the soldier had landed in arm reach of the pinecone he and his comrade had went for, slowly reaching after it.

“Ha!” The soldier cheered as he picked it up and heard a clicking sound. “Ah!” He gasped as it was on another mine before the explosion came.

And so the legend of the Green Knight ended.

Or did it?

Fletcher coughed as the smoke cleared, having cast a teleport to get clear of the blast just in time. “Could have gone worse…” He commented, glad to be still alive.

However, he felt a sharp pain in his right hindleg and hissed, looking down. Shrapnel was stuck in it, bleeding slightly. “Darn it. This will slow me down.” The stallion said as he carefully pulled the shrapnel out and bandaged his wound, casting a healing spell on it.

Apart from moving slower, he knew in this condition, he couldn’t afford to get into a fight, so he was more careful on the move, taking regular breaks.

Good for him, his injury went slowly better with every day that passed.

After a few days, he inspected his wound, seeing it was nearly healed. “Guess my luck hasn’t left me.” Barely having spoken, thunder sounded and it started to rain. “Guess I spoke too soon.” Fray added in a defeated tone and looked for shelter where he could wait the thunderstorm out, spotting a small bridge not far head, making his way towards it.

“What are we gonna do, brother? Madre will be worried.” The voice of a girl greeted the unicorn’s ears and he saw two children under the bridge, a girl and boy, both slightly trembling.

Upon spotting the unicorn, they looked at him in surprise and awe. None of them said a word for what seemed like hours until the girl broke it. “Please…don’t hurt us…”

“I mean no harm, children. Are you lost?” Fray replied politely and the two looked at each other in confusion and the boy slowly nodded.

“Y-yes. We were playing outside before the thunderstorm caught us off guard.”

“I see. Don’t worry, I’ll help you.” Fletcher replied and used his cloak to shield them from the rain.

“T-thank you.” The boy replied with a weak smile. “But how shall we find the way back home?”

“Leave that to me, children.” Fray lit up his horn and used the tracking spell to find out where the two had started, following it and after a while, they came to a house.

“T-that’s our home.” It was the girl’s voice in Fletcher’s ears and she knocked on the door once they reached it. A woman opened the door and her face was one of happiness and relief s she saw the children.

“Antonio! Vila! I was so worried!” She hugged both.

“We were caught up in the rain but he helped us!” Viola said and pointed at Fletcher, who smiled.

Vila’s and Antonio’s mother looked slightly confused at the stallion before smiling weakly. “Thank you…”

“Fray. Fletcher Fray, but Fletcher is just fine.”

“Fletcher Fray?” Antonio blinked in awe. “Dinky and her two friends told us a lot about you!”

Fray raised an eyebrow. “They did?”

The mother cleared her throat. “Can we please tell you inside?”

“Of course.” He said and walked in with the children, enjoying a hot chocolate to warm themselves up.

“Oh, how rude, I am Rebecca. Rebecca Conti.”

“Pleasure to meet you. So, how did you meet Dinky and her friends?” The unicorn was curious as the boy beamed a smile.

“Our father brought them here and told us how he met them and you in Africa a year ago.”

It clicked in Fray’s head. “So you’re his family.”

“Yes. And it is an honor to meet you. I owe you something for helping my children.” Rebeca said to him with a grateful expression but he waved a hoof.

“It’s nothing, I just help those in need, being honorable. How are Matteo and my young friends?”

Rebecca sighed. “It’s hard to tell. Our home was swept for Partisan activity yesterday. Matteo managed to get them to safety, but then the Allies invaded Sicily. Italy was thrown into chaos, as the Duce was arrested and the Germans occupied the country, arresting Italian forces. We haven’t heard from Matteo or the children ever since.”

“Then I should hurry.” Fletcher concluded.

“I understand your worry, but the only way on is through a river close here, but the heavy rain makes it a deluge, impossible to cross.” She pointed out and Fray sighed.

“Alright, I’ll stay until the weather gets better. Do you have a guest room?”

“Si.”

The woman led him to it and wished him a goodnight as it became evening and he was asleep fast.


As he opened his eyes, he found himself in front of a big machine, looking like a tower, a green glow surrounded it.

“Great work!” Midnight’s voice sounded next to him. “It’s destroyed. Glad that, at least, went to plan.”

The machine let out a low pitched sound, followed by groaning, causing Wolf to ask, “Was this part of the plan?”

“Uh...no…” Midnight replied with unease in his voice.

“Halt! Don’t move!” Several Waffen-SS soldiers surrounded them. “Surrender immediately!”

The Knights looked around for a way out, but they were completely surrounded.

But all of the sudden, the machine sparked and made a high pitched sound, rumbling and they all looked in fear at it. “That’s not good!” Fray exclaimed before a green shockwave threw him over, together with White Wolf, hearing screams.

“Ugh…that hurt…” Fray mumbled as he got up, checking himself, relieved he was just fine but the soldiers hadn’t survived. “Are you okay, Wolf?” he asked the mare who pointed behind him with a slightly shocked expression.

“M-Midnight…”

Fletcher turned around and startled slightly as he saw the batpony with his back to him. A green glow surrounded him and he bent slightly over. “Midnight? Are you okay?” Fletcher asked worried as he slowly came closer to his commander.

Without warning the grey stallion turned around and let out a terrifying groan and Fray gasped at what he saw.

Midnight was no longer a pony, but a burning skeleton and roared into the sky before charging at the unicorn.

“Fletch!” Wolf yelled and pulled him back, getting punched by the batpony and to Fra’s horror, she disintegrated into a green dust, letting out an echoing scream.

The unicorn stared in shock at what happened before Midnight lobbed a green ball of energy at him and he screamed in pain, getting disintegrated as well.


It was at this moment where Fletcher woke up with a gasp, panting heavily, trying to process what he just dreamed. “Just…a nightmare…” He mumbled relived between breaths and fell asleep again.


The rain continued in the next days, so Fletcher helped out in the house as good as he could, telling the children about his adventures before Africa, fascinating them. Although he was happy they were safe in this house in the countryside they owned, even he was worried about Matteo’s fate.

Eventually, the rain stopped and Fray prepared to move on. “Thank you for the hospitality.”

“Wait.” Rebecca said with worry. “You know about Kommandobefehl?” Fray nodded.

“The Führer can order whatever he likes.” He replied calmly.

“But you are technically a commando. They will shoot on sight, rather than accepting surrender.” She countered with concern.

Fletcher shrugged. “Occupational hazard.”

“Death doesn’t frighten you? Italy has seen a lot of it.”

“I have seen it a lot too.” He said before the siblings gave him a hug.

“Be careful, Fletcher.” They said in unison and he stroked their hair with a smile.

“Of course I will.”

Then he walked out, towards the river. It was still high from the rain but could be crossed. “A little swim won’t hurt.” The unicorn commented as he swam to the other side and used his dry spell.

The warm sun shined on his coat, he enjoyed the nice feeling as he continue to walk along the countryside, yet the second nightmare didn’t go out of his head either.

“Could it mean something too? I hope not…” he mumbled slightly afraid before stopping as he spotted something strange in the distance.

“What the?” He said confused as he could swear he saw a transparent unicorn of the Royal Guard in the distance near a forest.

He decided to check it out but as he blinked, it was gone. “Strange, for a second, I thought I knew it from somewhere…”

A young scream startled him, coming out of the forest. “Please! You promised us to help us! Don't!” It took him only a second to realize the voice.

Dinky!

Author's Note:

The minefield, got the idea from this