• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 422 Views, 26 Comments

A Black Sun Rises - Bronycommander



A month passed since the Adventure of Dinky, Katja and Blau Streifen in Africa. But another, much bigger challenger awaits them on Earth

  • ...
2
 26
 422

Chapter 2 Cold Hooves

Chapter 2: Cold Hooves

It was early morning when the sun shined through the window, causing the children to stir in their sleep and woke up, yawning. “Good morning.” Dinky smiled at the siblings, who returned it.

“Morning, Dinky,” Katja replied before they walked out to the dinning room, seeing that the squad of Konrad and Karl already had prepared breakfast, warm buns were on the table together with cheese and salad.

“I hope you slept well, children.” The Sergeant smiled at them and they nodded, enjoying their meal.

“It tasted great, thank you,” Blau said to the soldiers, who looked at him with satisfied expressions.

“Glad to hear it. If you want to take a look around, feel free to do so, we already made sure the others won’t bother you. Just stay clear of cameras, they are for Propaganda.” Mateo explained.

“Alright,” Dinky replied and she walked out of the villa with her friends, watching the sunrise on the coast, it looked beautiful as it reflected on the ocean.

“Let’s check out the small town.” The grey colt suggested and his sister and friend nodded, walking towards it, with the soldiers barely paying attention, some gave them a quick look of surprise or unease.

On the way to the town, they came across the camp of their caretakers, noticing an opened letter in one tent and curiosity got the better of them, reading it, it was dated 23rd January 1943.

Dear Bruno,

I hope you are well. Haven’t heard from you in a while. I suppose you might have written to me and the mail might have passed in the post. Or maybe you haven’t been able to post your letter yet. Or don’t feel like writing. I don’t know.

To be honest, I am all of a jitter. The bombing started again last night. Five people dead, I think, but a lot more injured. Hasn’t Cologne suffered enough?

Do write to me, darling. Anything to know you’re still okay.

I love you.

Helma

“Oh my, sounds like the bombings got worse.” Dinky commented with pity and sadness.”

“Yes, good that Konrad’s family is safe,” Katja replied as before spotted another letter, dated 12th May of the same year.

Dear Jost,

I hope you’re taking care of Mother and Father. You asked me to write just you, so here you are. Your own special letter.

To answer your question – yes, I’ll think I will make it home. They tell us we should consider writing ‘last letters’ to tell our families and friends we love them in case we get killed, but I haven’t bothered. Seems like giving up, somehow.

To answer your other question – yes, I think the war will end soon. I can’t tell you much but we got something up our sleeves that will make the Yanks and Brits surrender as quick as you like. Then we can join up and take on the Reds together. How’s that for a plan?

Anyway, stay out of trouble little brother.

I’ll see you soon.

Victor

Do you think that secret has something to do with the absence of civilians here?” Blau asked Katja and Dinky, unsure of it.

“Could be, but I think its best we don’t think about it.” His sister suggested before they moved on, reaching the small town, seeing parked cars and tractors, but otherwise, the town was empty of anything that hinted of residents having lived here.

“Looks actually pretty nice if you think about it.” The little unicorn looked around, adoring the buildings.

“Yeah, it does,” Katja replied as she looked around, feeling sorry for them as she spotted another letter on a table, dated 5th March.

Dear Poldi,

Are you okay? Schulau was bombed last night. It was terrifying. Papa thinks they were aiming for Hamburg but that something went wrong.

Stupid British, stupid Lancasters.

Have you killed many people yet? Papa says what you’re up to is ultra-secret and no-one knows you’re there. What is it? Can you tell me?

Papa says I have to stop now and do my homework. The league of young Girls is having a parade tomorrow. I’m so excited.

Take care, big brother.

Ulrike

The young girl shivered a bit. “I feel…sick. How can someone ask his family of having killed someone?”

“It’s…disgusting just to think about it…” Dinky commented with an unwell expression. “But if its secret here, why do they tolerate us?”

Blue thought for a moment. “They care for us, they won’t let get us hurt, I think they just need time to get us to a safer place.”

“Let’s hope so.” The filly replied as she spotted another letter on a briefcase in the corner, dated 12th April 1943

Dear Diary,

The Germans are here in force. They want us all to leave. Heaven knows what they need San Celini for. What with the food shortage, the dammed typhus…and of course the resistance.

It’s been squashed so long, but now it’s growing here and there, like so many wild flowers. I swear It’ll erupt most forcefully in the north.

Communists, sure, but Christians, monarchists and democrats too. We’re just waiting for our moment. Allagra, Bitanti, Volturnia, that whole area. It’s a premonition of what will happen. War’s coming to Italy.

There’s no point being afraid.

It’s our fate.

“Poor people, I don’t want to imagine the feeling of having to left home like that.” She said with a hint of fear.

“Yes, I can now understand what Konrad and the others meant,” Katja replied and they walked back, yet spotted another letter on a workbench, having the same date as the last one.

Dear Diary,

Our last day on San Celini. The Nazis have “invited” us to leave. It seems they have plans for our dear, precious island. They’re behaved like an Occupying force from the beginning, as far as 1941.I read even Mussolini complained to Hitler about their behavior. (That and stealing our Italian workers for Germany’s war effort.)

And what if II Duce now? There are rumors he’s ill, that he’s cracking up. Not that official propaganda says as much. They treat our defeats as victories, and the Allied bombings as nothing more than gnats attacking the great Capitoline Wolf.

We’ll see.

“Doesn’t look they ’re very fond of the Germans, but it’s understandable if they were forced to leave their home,” Dinky concluded.

“Yes, let’s hope wherever we got sent, that we are treated well.” Her female friend hoped for the best as they walked back to the villa, seeing Tobias together with other officers on the balcony.

“So, it's ready then?” An officer asked Tobias, who nodded.

“To the necessary degree. The scientists won't stop badgering us to test the damn things out.”

“Well, if there's any chance they'll do what they're all saying they will, I'm at least interested.” Another officer added.

“Can you believe the Cabinet wanted to cut funds on this project?” The first officer asked, getting a look of irritation by the other officer.

“Really?”

“That's what I heard. Those Thule Society lunatics wanted the funds diverted to fund another of their idiotic excavations.” Tobias explained as the officer asked,

“Digging up another 'ancient, magical Aryan superweapon' are they?”

“Ja. In Tibet, I believe.” The first officer replied.

Schmidt raised an eyebrow. “Tibet? I heard it was Patagonia.”

“It's odd how few excavations they actually make in Germany. Something like Charlemagne's swords or...I don't know, Alaric's helm? One would think if they're so set on proving German perfection, you'd look for this perfection in Germany.”

“I bet it's just their excuse to get faraway holidays on war expenses, pompous, playacting, whiskey-sipping morons.” The second officer taunted.

“You'd think they were English Lords with the way they hold their noses in the air.”

Schmidt took the word, “Alright, quiet down. Now, let's see...” He checked his watch. “Aha! Right on cue. Come gentlemen.” They walked up to the balcony and he pointed to the sky.

“Now, silence please. I received word from Dr. Kessler early this morning and you will be happy to know that this time tomorrow, gentlemen...”

They and the children saw a plane flying by and a ship in the distance, the former dropped what looked like a torpedo at first, then it flew at high speed towards the ship like a rocket, destroying it in a big explosion, it was fascinating, as well as scary for the young visitors.

“We will truly be the ultimate power of the skies. The Henschel HS 293 is to be given to our unit to test in the field. We will be facing a small but ponderous fleet of Allied battleships intent on landing on the shores, very little in the way of anti-aircraft weaponry. Here, gentlemen, on these beaches, we will sink the bastards before they even hear us coming. The Fatherland's glory will be witnessed by all the world and it will be the Luftwaffe who deliver it.” Tobias told his fellow officers and they applauded. “Make preparations. We disembark first thing tomorrow morning. Dismissed.”

The children looked at the sinking, smoking wreck in silence before Dinky decided to break it. “So this is the new weapon they talked about. Quite…effective and deadly…”

“Yes, I'm not sure I want to be on a boat with that thing in the skies.” Blau shivered at the thought.

“And those poor souls. Think anyone survived?” Katja asked in shock as Konrad walked up to them.

“I’m afraid, there won’t be any.” He sounded rather concerned about it.

“W-what do you mean?” The filly did not understand and he sighed.

“Because of a new order, the Kommandobefehl. This order says that enemy commando units shall be killed immediately without trial, even if in proper uniforms or if they attempt to surrender. And if you’re part of a small group, an agent or Saboteur and caught, you are handed to the Security Service of the SS, which is worse than a bullet in your head or water in your lungs any day. Failure to carry out these orders by any commander or officer will be considered to be an act of negligence punishable under German military law.”

“That’s horrible. I hope Fletcher won’t be victim of it.” The filly said with dread in her voice and the Sergeant put a hand on her shoulder.

“He may technically be a commando, but we all know how experienced he is, I doubt this will be a problem for him.”

Dinky smiled weakly. “Right. Say, it is true what they say about those…last letters?”

“Yes. I had to write one too.” He reached in his pocket and pulled out a letter, the children read it.

My dear family,

If you are reading this, it means something happened. Something that will mean that I can't ever come home. Whether they know I'm gone or not, depends on those who are left. But I want you know, most importantly, that whenever and however this happened, my last thoughts were of you. My dearest wife and my wonderful children. You were the best thing that ever happened to me and you will always be in my heart, in this life and the next.

Your loving husband and father,

Konrad.

“I can’t imagine this is easy to write,” Katja commented on it.

“Yes, it isn’t easy to think of the right words, compared to writing your family normally. I just pray every day I survive the war and use my experience to the fullest to stay alive.”

That made the friends think of something. Fletcher barely told them about his past military experiences, but they wondered if he had written last letters to his family members. He had told them about his family during the civil war, a mare and filly called Ruhlinda and Adalie. Once he said that Dinky reminded him very much of Adalie, and was sure, culture differences aside, they both would make very good friends. It made them also wonder how his letters to them could have been.

“Konrad, as you are now an officer yourself, why aren’t you wearing the correct uniform and use the MP40?” Blau asked him, changing the subject and the Sergeant shrugged.

“I am used to the K98 and my uniform, many officers don’t carry their rank insignia in combat, to prevent being identified as officers by enemy snipers and get killed by them. I do the same to increase my chance to survive.”

“Sounds like a good idea.” Blau liked it as Conti joined them.

“Good news, we decided where you will be safe.”

“And that is?” Dinky wanted to know.

“Bitanti. It’s my hometown, you can live with my family.”

The unicorn smiled. “Sounds good.”

They entered the back of a truck with roof, Hans drove, while Konrad took the passenger seat. Katja looked at the officer, becoming curious. “Would you mind telling about yourself?”

Karl smiled. “Not at all. I come from an officer family, so it was natural to become officer myself. In my spare time, I like to do fencing and became quite skilled, renowned for my swordsmanship.”

“Uh-huh. And you, David?”

“There’s not much to tell. I grew up on a farm, so I was used to the heat and cold, having served on the Eastern Front since 1942, but luckily was never deployed to Stalingrad or met the She-Bear.”

Suddenly there was a loud cracking sound and Escher shouted, “For the last time, stop grinding it!”

“Sorry, Hans has the habit of doing that.” Karl apologized and Dinky waved a hoof.

“It’s alright.”

Around half an hour, the Italian announced, “We are here.”

Dinky, Katja and Blau smiled at the sight of Bitanti, it was a coastal town, looking very nice and good to get some quiet. “Welcome. My family already awaits you.”

“Okay. Goodbye, Konrad.” The filly looked at the German with a sad smile and he tipped his cap.

“See you later, children.” He then stepped into the truck again and drove away with his squad mates.

“Padre!” Two young voices, one male, one female called out and two children hugged Matteo, looking very happy to see him, he returned it.

“I missed you too, children.”

“And I too.” He looked up and saw his wife, kissing her, the three friends didn’t mind at all, knowing he earned it, watching with smiles.

“You said you would bring guests?” Matteo’s wife asked curiously and the three children got a good look at her. She was a woman with athletic build, her hair was brown, her eyes having a green color. Their children, a boy with brown hair and green eyes, his sister green eyes and black hair, looking also curious at him.

“Yes, remember what I told you when I was on leave last year?”

“Yes, why?” His wife raised an eyebrow and he pointed to the three children, who waved with smiles. “Uhh…”

“It’s a long story. “He pointed to the children. “But may I introduce them to you? Dinky Hooves, Katja and her brother Blau Streifen.”

“Hello, Mrs. Conti.” They said in unison and the woman took a step back in shock.

“Did... the ponies just talk?”

“Yes, they did. Can I explain at home?” Her husband asked, sounding slightly embarrassed.

His wife took a deep breath and her children stretched slowly one hand out. “Ciao, I am Antonio, my sister Viola and our mother Rebecca.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Dinky shook his hand and they walked through the town, like Volkach, apart from propaganda speakers and some soldiers, there was barely a sign of the war.

Inside, the three guests were greeted by a nice and cozy living room, with a TV and Radio, Antonio turned it on and they danced together while the parents made lunch, Mateo used this to tell his wife about how he met them in Africa a year ago.

“Mio dio. They really went through a lot, but I am proud of you.” She smiled at her husband.

“I know, what was I supposed to do?” I couldn’t leave them.”

“It was the right thing, Matteo.”

As lunch was ready, they got together at the table, the two foals and girls noticed the pods were steamy, as they got brought him.

“Delicious, Pasta!” Viola exclaimed in joy, their guests knew this meal from Ruby’s husband who made it sometimes, but Blau had a slight unease expression. Pasta wasn’t really something he liked.

“Kat...This is pasta.” He whispered to his sister, who’s expression was neutral.

“Yes, I know.”

“...I don't like pasta.”

“It won't kill you.”

“I know, I just really don't like it.” Blau pointed out and Katja’s expression became slightly displeased.

“Come on, Blau. Mrs. Conti went to all this trouble...” Her brother in response, prodded at the pasta with a doubtful expression and she threatened, “If you don't eat it, I'll tell mom.”

“Okay, okay!” Blau said with a slightly scared expression, the others did not notice the siblings’ argument at all.

Still, they all eat with manners, not to upset their hosts and as the colt took a careful bite not to burn himself, he slowly started to grin. “Hey...This isn't actually that bad.” He mumbled and Katja gave him a glare. “I mean, er...Of course! It's delicious...just as I knew it would be.” He then laughed nervously with a smile, starting enjoying it and the mother smiled at him.

“Glad to hear it, it’s an old family recipe.”

Dinky had eaten a few times at the siblings’ home, the pasta of their father was also very delicious, he understood very well how to cook, something she appreciated.

After having finished, they helped clean the kitchen and the boy asked his parents, “Can we show our guests the town?”

“Si, my son.” Mateo replied with a smile and the children walked out.

“Let’s show you around.” Viola took the lead, showing their guest the docks of the town, having a wonderful view of the sea.

“It looks so beautiful, don’t you think?” Katja asked and the others nodded.

“Yes, I agree, sis. What’s that?” He turned to his right to spot a letter on a chair, it’s content filled them all with grief and sadness.

Dear Walter,

I write with the most terrible news.

That monster Churchill killed our beloved Mila. A direct hit on the house. What little consolation there is lies in the fact that she didn’t suffer.

Walter, you must make them pay for what they did to our daughter and to Dortmund. Make those Partisans suffer the way we have.

Your loving wife,

Ottilie.

“That’s very sad to read…” Dinky suppressed a tear, she and her two friends knew how their parents were worried when they went first missing, knowing that their death would break them. Dinky still remembered how she became terribly ill, with Derpy praying day and night she would make it.

“Yes, and they let out their anger on the Partisans, it’s a sad thing. And Italy isn’t spared from the bombs either.” The Italian girl explained with a voice of pity.

“Partisans?” Blau did not understand.

“The Resistance fighters in Italy. They do fight bravely, but the German and Duce go hard on them, showing no mercy but deep hatred. I just hope our home won’t be victim of this all.” Antonio shivered at the thought.

“I hear you.” Dinky replied and they continued to look around, the people greeted the children friendly, commenting the two ponies how good their “costume” looked like, they all returned it.

Yet, they discovered another letter on a bench, folded open.

Dear Willi,

How are you, my boy? Truth to be told, things are not so good here in Cologne.

The British have rained bombs upon us for months. There were many, many victims, including, sadly, your own mother.

I know this is a terrible shock for you.

All I can say is she did not suffer

Your father

“Oh dear…” Dinky mumbled, neither she nor her two friends could imagine the thought of getting informed by their respective father that their mother had died.

But as they were about to walk back home, they saw another letter on a balcony, it’s content was even worse to see, despite the grammatical errors in it.

Dear Papa,

I am writing this letr to you that our mommy deaded. A big bomb came and hit her right on the head.

BANG!

A policeman came and dug us out.

We live with Herr Lieder now.

But I hope u r okay.

Lots of love and kissy-kisses.

Alfred.

“Oh my…” Blau gasped. “I don’t think I could bring myself to write dad that mother died…”

“Neither could I…” Dinky said with dread before Viola cleared her throat.

“Then, may I suggest a walk at the shore?”

The filly smiled weakly in return. “Good idea.”

It was a calming and relaxing sight to see the sand and water, Dinky took a deep breath of the sea air. “It’s really a nice place to live here, reminds me of home.” She said with a slightly sad voice and the boy asked,

“How is your home, if I may ask?”

“Oh, it’s a peaceful and quiet town, just like Bitanti. It may be not a coastal town but is also-“

Dinky never finished as she tripped over a stone and landed on something hard, yet kind of soft, mushy and she started in shock once she saw what it was.

She screamed and tried to get break free, her friends started in shock as Matteo and his wife ran up to them.

“We heard a scream, everything alright?” Rebecca asked with worry and her children hugged her, the unicorn and her 2 friends did the same with Matteo. “Shh, calm down.” He spoke in a comforting tone as he saw what was wrong.

A body was lying in the sand, wearing a commando uniform of the British Forces. It took the children a few minutes to calm down and the soldier decided to report and check the body, he appearing to be dead for a few weeks now, having something interesting in the pocket, dated 19th April.

My dear Sam,

I’ve taken this opportunity to send you a personal letter. I can absolutely vouch for the chap carrying it.

Regarding Husky, we’re close to completing our plans. The target remains Greece and the troops will come from Egypt and Libya. Maitland Wilson will take command, as agreed. He’s a good cove, if overly fond of sardines.

See you in Washington.

Warden

Matteo realized quickly this was war important Intel and reported that too, having an idea to cheer up his guests. “Would you like some chocolate?” They slowly smiled weakly and nodded.

He pulled out a small round box out of his pocket. “This is Schoka kola, Konrad gave me it before, is very favored and gives strength.”

They all took a piece and it and chewed it, it tasted bitter but good. “Delicious!” The young unicorn exclaimed with glee.

It was quiet for the rest of the day, Rebecca made pizza margarita for dinner, which the three children enjoyed. “It’s tastes very good, Mrs. Conti.” Dinky smiled at her.

“Glad to hear it, but Rebecca is just fine.”

“Say, is it true about the Partisans?” Katja asked Mateo, who sighed in response.

“Yes, for every loss the Germans suffer, they make the resistance pay. But we haven’t it any better. Since we entered the war in 1940, the allies bomb our industries. And the air defense and civil air defense are much weaker than in the German Reich. With the defeat in Africa, many are tired of the war and want it to end, and I think II Duce is overwhelmed with everything.”

“We can just hope it ends quickly and well for all of us.” Dinky pointed out.

“Yes.”

Matteo told his children about his guests' origins as he tucked them in.

“Sorry to hear that, Padre.” Antonio had a sad expression. “But we are proud of you for helping them.

“And we will help them as good as we can.” His sister added.

“I know you will, children,” Matteo replied with a smile.

Like with Konrad’s family, Dinky, Katja and Blau could use the guest room, with Dinky taking a sleeping back, leaving the bed for her two friends. “Goodnight.” She said to her friends and fell asleep fast.

A few days passed, they helped out as good as they could in the house to repay the hospitality. There wasn’t any sight of Fletcher yet, but something told them he was already looking for them. Compared to Africa, Italy was of several different terrains and towns, so it could be he was slowed down by it, like having to avoid the towns.

As it was early July, they watched the sunset, looking beautiful over the sea. “I hope Fletcher is doing well.” Blau said with worry and Dinky wrapped a hoof around him.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’s fine. After all, he’s very experienced.”

“I think he’s delayed because he’s admiring Italy’s beauty.” Katja joked and they all shared a laugh.

“Yeah…” Blau chuckled before they went to bed, sleeping peacefully.

None of them could count how long they had slept until started by a loud sound and screaming. “What’s going on?” Katja asked as they heard the children of Matteo screamed and the man himself protested, but it was incomprehensible before the door was kicked open and several men in black uniforms stormed in.

They all screamed and struggled as they got dragged out towards the marketplace, seeing how more soldiers rounded up civilians and led handcuffed away, with propaganda speakers sounding as well. As the kids got dropped, fear took them slowly over as they saw the Conti family looking at them with worry.

“Why does no one talk?” One of the soldiers asked fatly into the crowd with an Italian accent, the children started to sob as the residents stayed silent. “Now those children must die.”

In that moment, Dinky, Katja and Blau looked to the civilians pleadingly, in their heads begging any of them to speak up and help them. Matteo had an expression of anger, but was held back by two of those black uniformed soldiers.

Well children, it would seem that, sadly, no-one wants you. Most unfortunate...” The soldier standing next to the children clicked his pistol and lowered it to Dinky’s head.

“And we see no point in keeping things no-one wants.”

All three shivered, it seemed like the end and they made a final prayer.

“Stop right now!” A German voice yelled all of the sudden. “They are not to be harmed, being under my care!”

The children looked up to see Karl and Konrad, their expressions slightly angered and the Italian soldier turned towards them.

“Not very smart of you to admit to that.” The soldier pointed his gun at him. “The rules against sheltering a partisan or suspected partisan are very clear. And the penalty very final,”

A loud bang sounded and the Italian soldier fell backward to the ground and all hell broke loose. The three children saw how several civilians drew weapons, firing on the soldiers, other ran to safety, including the Conti family and a group of armed men, wearing blue clothes around their necks ran up to the kids. “Come with us!” One of them yelled and the children followed them out of instinct.

As they were led away from the battle, Dinky could swear she saw faintly how Konrad and Karl were struggling with two of the armed men before they ran out of sight, towards a church.

Once led inside, the children started to take deep breaths, calming down. “Thank you. I thought we would die…” Dinky said with a shocked voice.

“It’s nothing, children. Don’t worry, help is on the way.” one of the men replied.

“Are you…resistance?” Katja figured out, feeling uneasy.

“Si, the Fascists and Nazis swept the town.” The Partisan replied with hate in his voice and suddenly, the doors to the courtyard of the church were blown open. “Accidenti! We keep you safe, children, promise!”

The men ran out to fight, while the kids stayed inside the church, hiding behind the benches, covering their ears from the loud gunfire.

“Death to the Partisans! Devils! Show no mercy! No survivors!” A German voice yelled, filled with hate.

“Do…D you think we’ll make it out alive?” Blau Streifen asked with fear in his voice.

“I don’t know, let’s hope we will,” Dinky replied as the fighting went on for minutes, the resistance fighters stood bravely their ground, holding the Germans back.

Out of nowhere, a loud shot made the children flinch, and several more followed, then silence.

“Thank you, sniper!” One of the resistance fighters said grateful, making the kids wonder if the sniper could be Fletcher and they slowly walked out of the church. Who they saw surprised them.

A man with a sniper rifle, dressed in an olive drab coat and pants and black boots, the same man that had helped Fletcher in Africa at the factory. His expression was neutral as he looked at them. “Fancy meeting you here.”

None of them could bring out a word before one of the Partisans said, “We just barely managed to save them from getting executed as the Fascists swept the town. We get them to safety.” The sniper nodded in response.

Dinky and the sibling followed without a word, seeing that the streets were littered with killed soldiers and resistance fighters, making them hope Karl and Konrad were still alive, seeing also that a building had caught fire.

Upon coming to the city limit, they saw a parked truck, getting led towards it as suddenly someone shouted, “Freeze!”

They all did as told, the Italians dropped their weapons, knowing there was no way out of it without endangering the children. “Get out of here.” The voice said, surprising them quite, but they didn’t hesitate to walk away and the children turned around.

“Konrad, Karl!” Dinky exclaimed in relief, happy to see they were alright. “It thought…”

“No, the Partisans only knocked us out, probably for trying to save you,” Konrad explained as they got into the truck.

“Are Matteo and his family alright?” Katja asked, fearing the worst.

“Yes, they used the chaos to escape, he brought his family to another town. I am actually here to tell him we get redeployed to Adanti, a village in the southernmost point of Sicily.”

“Okay.” She and her friends let out relieved sighs, they were still alive.

It took a few hours for them to arrive at the village, seeing that a large ornate building in the middle of the village was heavily fortified and had two AA guns on the roof.

“Welcome.” Hans greeted as they arrived, happy to see them.

“Nice to see you too. Anything we can help with?” The filly asked him.

“Sure, you can help with the supplies.”

And so, they helped to carry the supplies where they were needed for the rest of the day, seeing that the stationed soldiers here were all Italians, wearing the same black uniforms as the ones in Bitanti.

“Those are the Blackshirts, they are the Italian version of the SS, but don’t worry, they won’t bother you with us around,” Karl explained to them.

“Thanks for letting us know,” Blau said and he went to bed with his sister and friend in a tent as it became evening, being asleep fast.

It was there, where Matteo got back to his German friends. “I owe you one, who knows what might have happened, if you hadn’t shown up.” He was grateful.

“That’s what friends are for,” Konrad replied with a smile.

“And I know to appreciate that. I really should have tried to go for them.” The Italian had regret in his voice, lowering his head, but Konrad put a hand on his shoulder,

“Don’t be it was out of instinct, keeping your family safe.”

Matteo smiled weakly. “Thanks.”


In the middle of the night, the children stirred in their sleep by a strange noise, sounding faintly like an engine. “Did…you hear that?” Katja asked sleepily.

“Yes, I did. Better check it out.” Dinky suggested and they nodded, walking outside, seeing a squad of German soldiers next to an AA gun, watching the moon, yet saw nothing that hinted of danger.

“You should have seen how the Brits fought in Africa. More skilled than the Yankees, that’s for sure.” One soldier said to his comrade.

“At least we have the night.” His comrade replied.

“The Darkness is always still to unseeing eyes.”

As the German had said this, the children could swear they saw something in the bushes, looking like a human. But the darkness made it impossible to tell for sure.

Dinky opened her mouth to warn them, but no way came out, stuck in her throat.

The siblings pointed at the shadows, but the soldiers didn’t notice them.

Maybe it was just their imagination, or a squad of fellow comrades, but the children knew to be better safe than sorry.

“You want a drag?” A third soldier asked, smoking a cigarette. “Calms the nerves.” What happened next terrifying the three young friends.

The moment he threw it to his comrade, flashes of gunfire occurred and screams sounded in the ears of Dinky, Katja and Blau, watching in horror how the soldiers got gunned down by human-like shadows.

They were frozen as one of the humans picked the cigarette up and took a drag.

“This Hun’s Ciggy isn't half bad.”