• Published 11th Dec 2018
  • 422 Views, 26 Comments

A Black Sun Rises - Bronycommander



A month passed since the Adventure of Dinky, Katja and Blau Streifen in Africa. But another, much bigger challenger awaits them on Earth

  • ...
2
 26
 422

Chapter 12 Into the city

Chapter 12: Into the city

William was waking up in the middle of the night. He heard the explosions in the distance, seeing AA fire and spotlights where the city was, turning to his American friend who was sleeping soundly. “Must be hell in there. Ford? Ford?” He asked as his friend didn’t respond before he stirred.

“Eh?” The American mumbled sleepily.

“I said, it looks like hell in there.” The Captain pointed towards the city.

“Tommy boy, can’t a man catch a little rest without your blabbering?” Ford mumbled as he turned his back to Hill.

“Thing we’ll get ‘em this time?”

“Yeah, yeah, alright old man. We’ll get ‘em, get ‘em good!” Christopher mumbled before a strange sound, opening his eyes. “What’s that noise?” He wondered as Fletcher walked up to them and looked towards a tent.

It came from the children, whimpering and sobbing in their sleep, lightly trembling. “Must have a nightmare,” Ford said with sympathy in his voice as Fletcher walked up to Dinky.

“Shh, don’t be scared, I’m here for you.” He wrapped a hoof around her. Without warning, she screamed and kicked around, the siblings did the same, and the two soldiers ran in to calm them down.

“Get some Morphine!” William yelled as he grabbed Katja who tried to break free but Fletcher shook his head, lighting up his horn, its glow encasing the kids for a moment and they stopped struggling, breathing calmer and snoring peacefully.

“A spell that calms down.” He explained and William stroked the girl’s hair.

“I fear the experience with burning soldiers is hunting them,” Christopher said as he gently laid the colt back into the cot.

“They will be alright.” Fletcher was sure of it and they stayed with the children for the rest of the night.


As morning came, they breakfasted together and Fletcher noticed how Dinky lowered her head in guilt and shame, Katja and Blau did too. “We’re sorry for tonight…” She said in a sad tone before Fletcher gave them a hug.

“It’s okay, it happens to all of us.”

“Bright and early to you, Captain.” Blackmore greeted as he walked up to them.

“Morning, Major.” Hill saluted and they followed him to a tent where they all saw two officers, an American and a British one, looking at a map with Conti and MacKay.

“Seems the bombing made Jerry dig in harder… Elio-Gabalo won’t fall without a good fight.” The British officer, Colonel by his rank insignia, explained.

“Able Company and 3rd Battalion will advance into Elio-Gabalo and destroy all enemy positions. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely. We will pay dearly for Elio-Gabalo.” He finished and the American officer spoke up.

“We should do some recon first. Captain, Major, can you send out a squad?”

“Yes, Colonel, Sheridan.” MacKay acknowledged. “Private Ford, Captain Hill, get to it.”

They both saluted. “Yes, sir.

“Can we be of assistance?” Dinky asked, getting the attention of the four officers, seeing Sheridan’s face. His face was broad, clean-shaved, brown eyes and Black hair.

“Given how you helped before, I see no reason why you shouldn’t. Any objections, Campbell?”

Campbell was the British officer, appearing to be an elderly man, proven by wrinkles in the face and blue eyes, having also a small beard.

“Not at all, just keep them safe.”

“Of course, sir,” William replied and led them with Fletcher to a few jeeps, with Ford getting some helmets for the children.

“Better safe than sorry.” He said and just nodded as they got into the jeeps, a US radioman was with them.

The radioman took the lead of the small convoy, driving along the country road and the kids looked in awe as they saw smoke, or better said what was left of the city.

If there were any sights that were well to see, they would never know as only ruins were left, making them and Fetcher wonder how any defender could have survived this.

“Alright, we have arrived.” The radioman announced and stopped the jeep, just so that the city was visible in the distance and they all scanned for enemies with binoculars.

“Do you see anything, uncle?” The little filly asked Fletcher.

“No. Anybody else?” He looked at the soldiers, who all shook their heads.

“But I think I see something!” Katja pointed with her left hand to a small forest near the town and they all took a look too. They saw a small squad of soldiers with radios and binoculars, strangely only armed with handguns.

“Well done.” Ford praised her, then paused in confusion. Now…what’s this? Those are Italian soldiers."

“It can’t be! Italy surrendered!” Duffy exclaimed in disbelief as the Radioman reported their discovery in.

“…Yes, sir. Okay, orders from HQ are to tell the Italians that when we meet them!” He cocked his rifle, it looked like a shorter version of the Garand and the five soldiers moved it to engage, with the ponies stayed behind, watching.

As they only had handguns, the Italians never stood a chance or were able to react in time as the Allied soldiers opened fire and took them out, then moved back to the jeeps. “Okay, they’re done for, let’s get back to HQ.” The radioman said and the ponies nodded.

“Is your rifle a variant of the Garand?” Blau asked on the way back and the soldier shook his head.

“No, that’s the M1A1 Carbine, lightweight and compact. Ideal for soldiers that work behind the front or have to carry heavy equipment like me.”

“Sounds like a smart idea.” Blue liked it.

“…we are indeed facing Italian troops.” Campbell’s voice sounded from inside the command tent as they came back.

“I thought the Italians were finished!” Sheridan yelled in disbelief.

“Well the regular army, yes, but those belonged to the Social Republic founded and supplied by the Germans.”

“According to Wetherby's "brilliant plan, we're only facing Germans.” The US officer stated annoyed.

“Yes, but it seems they reinforced their position with their new allies.”

They saw Sheridan lowering his head as they walked in. “I’m getting a bad feeling about this…I’ll let Wetherby know that his wonderful plan has to be canceled.” He turned to a soldier behind a radio. “Kowalski, get me Wetherby on the horn.”

The soldier did as told, but the answer was not what Sheridan had hoped for. “Out of the question! The attack will proceed as planned. Is that clear?”

“Idiocy!” Campbell exclaimed.

“What is his plan?” Fletcher asked into the round.

“Well, his plan was to attack the Germans from the other side of the town, so we would surround them as we advance. But with the unexpected presence of Italian forces, this might be a lot more difficult. Plus the shelling has really created a mess for us. They’re holed up in the rubble like rats. It is to be expected that the area is riddled with Snipers, MGs, and concealed weapon teams creating a massive kill-zone.”

“It will be difficult to proceed, no doubt,” Fletcher concluded.

“As such, proceed with utmost caution,” Sheridan ordered his troops and they all saluted.

“Let’s move out!” Mackey yelled and they all got ready.

On the way towards Elio-Gabalo, a feeling of uneasy overcame everyone. They had no Intel about the enemy troops in the city and the creating of the rock slide yesterday showed that the enemy was cunning enough to sacrifice everything to defend it.

It would be a very bloody battle as high-command assumed, the kids slightly trembled as they came closer to the city limits. It consisted of a bridge leading into the city fully intact, but completely undefended.

“It’s too quiet….” The radioman was suspicious as they were about to cross the bridge.

Fletcher’s ears perked up as he heard a ratter sound. It sounded like a tank and they all stopped. Everyone looked confused as they saw what looked like a small on tractor-like wheel at first. It drove towards them at a quick speed. Then stopped in the middle of the bridge.

“What the?” Ford looked at it in surprise.

“What is that thing?” Duffy asked confused and the two soldiers stepped closer.

William, Fletcher, Cutting and the kids looking at each other, then their eyes went small as they realized what this could be.

“GET BACK!!!” The Captain yelled and grabbed Ford, pulling him back, Cutting did the same with Duffy, just seconds before the small “tractor” exploded.

It blew the bridge with it, it collapsed into pieces, only the pillars were still standing as the smoke cleared.

“Phew…I owe you one.” Ford said relieved as he got up.

“What in the world was that?” Duffy asked in disbelief and Fletcher thought for a moment

“Some sort of remote-controlled bomb I think.”

The radioman groaned. “Great. Just great.”

“It will delay us a bit, but not much. Yet, it will give them time to prepare their defenses.” William suspected and caked for a squad of Engineers and Sappers.

They created a pontoon bridge, Fletcher and the kids helped by carrying the materials to the soldiers. The floating bridge was just done in around 15 minutes.

“Okay, let’s go.” The Radioman ordered and the squads moved out, with Fletcher and the kids being at the far end in the rear. “Our first objective is a hotel that is at the end of this street. Keep your eyes peeled.”

With that, they moved in, carefully of their surroundings. The kids could not believe what the saw. Most buildings were ruins, barely standing, debris everywhere. None of them had ever seen anything like this before.

“Hey, why is it Able Company’s always up front getting shot at first?” One of the Riflemen asked.

“Naw, Johnson, It’s not Able, it’s just you up front getting shot up!” Another one replied with sarcasm in his voice.

“Shut up! You’re going to get us all killed.” The first one hissed back before a voice echoed through the streets.

“Soldiers of Great Britain and the USA: there is no need for this senseless bloodshed between our nations. The German and Italian people are not your enemy. If you surrender you will be treated well. You'll be given plenty of good hard food and warm clothing, and if wounded, proper medical attention. The German and Italian armies are your friends.”

“Hot food, drink, medicine and safety. Would that be before or after they send us to some camp, strap us down on a table and cut open our bodies to have a look inside?” William asked in doubt. “Ignore that propaganda, they just want to soften us up.” He added as they came to a turn.

Fletcher and the children took cover behind some sandbags as the soldiers checked their surroundings. “Area-“

The first Rifleman never finished as blood splattered from his forehead, falling on his back. “Ambush! Take cover!” William yelled as he saw muzzle flashes coming from a house at the intersection and they returned fire.

Dinky and her three friends pressed themselves against the sandbags as bullets flow past them before she heard a loud clang! And she saw how Blau’s head snapped violently back and forth, getting thrown to the ground, his helmet was shot off.

“You’re okay?” She asked concerned as she and her human friend helped him up.

“I’m fine!” He said as he picked his helmet up and put it on again.

Daring to peek over his cover, Fletcher saw a glint coming from the same hose and quickly ducked again as a shot was fired, hitting the ground next to him. Damn. This guy’s an expert marksman!

“Incoming!” Ford yelled as a squad of Waffen-SS and Italian troops coming from the other side, opening fire too.

This time, Dinky peeked over her cover. Both sides were shooting at each other, but none seemed to gain the upper hand, as the troops in the house were well protected, suppressing the Allies. Then she saw how a young American charged towards a German with his bayonet. The German quickly pushed the bayonet away and rammed a dagger into the American’s chest. The Rifleman cried in pain and looked at the dagger in shock as the SS-soldier pushed it deeper into the wound. Dinky looked in shock at it, swearing she saw the German slightly smile, as he did this, as if he enjoyed every second of it.

“Keep firing! We got this!” Another German yelled, apparently an officer as she saw he was wearing a cap rather than a helmet, armed with an Assault Rifle.

“They have suppressed us! Duffy, Rifle grenade!” William yelled and his mate did as told.

The moment the grenade hit the house, it collapsed into himself, the remaining hostiles looked at it and the officer shouted, “Smoke! Retreat! Fall back!”

Smoke was popped and the soldiers retreated, having lost their tactical advantage.

“I guess the house was badly damaged by the bombing. Anyway, move out!” The radioman ordered. “Why do I have to take kids with me…” He mumbled to himself after having given the order.

“What’s his problem? He seemed fine with us earlier.” Blau whispered to Christopher, who sighed.

“He’s my squad leader, called Jackson. He’s a good leader, but can be cold, distant, strict and callous, dedicated towards the mission.” He whispered back and now they saw him fully.

He was slim in build overall, green eyes and blond hair.

Blau looked at his helmet, seeing it had a dent in it. “I was lucky.” He commented on it and Ford nodded.

“You really think this helmet can stop a bullet? It can stop a pistol bullet but that’s it. Those helmets are made to protect us from splinter and fragments.”

“And it saved my life.” The colt smiled weakly as he put it back on again.

“Soldiers of Great Britain and the USA: We have nothing against the common British and American soldier. It is your leaders we are fighting who send you to battles you cannot win. The German and Italian armies are not your enemy. Surrender and you will be treated with compassion and respect.” Another broadcast echoed through the street.

The road split into a crossroad, debris everywhere. “Where now?” The private asked his squad leader.

“Hard to say, the debris make the streets hard to recognize.”

Blau Streifen went to cover behind some crates next to a piano, peeked out to take a look at the road going straight. He saw a large building with big letters on it and went back to cover. “I think it’s-“

He never finished as he suddenly felt pain in his chest and screamed, hitting a dissonant chord on the piano as he collapsed on his back.

“Sniper! Take cover!” The Radioman yelled and everyone did as told, with Katja and her two friends taking cover behind a car.

“Brother!” She called out, attempting to reach him but Fletcher held her back. “Let me go!”

“No, we can’t risk it with the sniper out there!” He yelled and she realized he was right, but still looking worried at the colt, as a bloody puddle formed under him, he was crying.

“H-help…”

Dinky looked at him frantically, she knew they had to act fast, or he would bleed out and die.

“Where did that come from?!” Duffy asked.

The stallion carefully peeked over the car, seeing a high building on the right end of the crossroad, a glint coming from it. “I see him. 411 meters. Taking the shot.” He stayed low as he snuck around and took aim behind some rubble.

“I stand among the Knights Eternal, the instruments of Luna's wrath on Equestria. To deliver it upon those that wronged her we do avow and unto their dreams of greed and vanity. We take icy daggers to their hearts and hoarfrost hammers to their skulls. We erase the filth from our Princess's domain and prepare for her glorious return.”

The sniper scanned the area, feeling guilty as he saw the target he had shot, was a grey colt. A child. He had heard of the three children. He couldn’t bring himself to kill the colt. From the looks of it, the wound looked not so bad, he had a good chance of survival.

Then he spotted a green glow in the ruble, noticing it was a unicorn, holding a bow. He can't be serious, there's no way he could hit me from that dist- It was the last he saw before it went through his scope and eye, killing him instantly.

“He’s down.” Fletcher announced and they ran to Blau, he was bleeding from the chest.

“Get me a medic!” Hill yelled.

“Mama...can you wake me? I'm...having a really...bad...dream...” The colt mumbled with a tired voice, his eyes half open.

“No! Hold on, brother! Please!” His sister panicked with a scared expression as Fletcher took a look, weakly smiling as he saw the creates had a hole and figured it out.

“He was lucky, the sniper shot through the cover, lowering the stopping power, so the bullet did not enter deep, thus it’s not as serious as it looks.” Fletcher calmed her down and lit his horn. “Can you hold him?”

The girl and Dinky did not hesitate, gently taking each of Blau’s hooves, whispering comforting words as the knight started to look for the bullet, his green aura passing through the colt, also casting a healing spell.

Blau Streifen’s eyes snapped open and he screamed as Fletcher’s aura entered his wound, but slowly his screams of pain reduced to cries through gritted teeth.

He let out one final scream as Fletcher removed the bullet from the wound with his magic and started to bandage him. “T-thank you…” Blau managed to smile.

“It’s nothing,” Fray said before he levitated the colt on his back.

“That's why we can't take children,” Jackson stated and William countered,

“Our orders are to keep them safe, regardless if you like it or not. Besides, it looks like Blau was right, the hotel’s straight ahead. Any volunteers for point?” He asked but no one of his fellow Brits replied. “I didn't think so.”

Then they moved out. “I can’t imagine how that Sniper could shoot a child...”Duffy mumbled in shock.

“I can’t either, only that he mistook him for a soldier due to the helmet, but once seeing what he did, couldn’t finish it.” Cutting suspected.

“Honored soldiers of the British and US army - you have nothing to fear from surrender: the German and Italian armies are well disciplined and will take you with dignity and compassion - if you wish to live do not resist. Throw down your weapons and approach the nearest patrol with your hands above your head. This is the proper signal that you wish to surrender. You will then receive hard food drink and medical attention. Once the war has ended you will be free to return to your families.” Another broadcast came as they walked down the stretch, seeing the hotel but the end of the street was blocked by an abandoned German truck.

“That truck’s blocking our path,” Duffy said as he saw it.

“We’ll push it. Christopher, pop the brake and steer. Rest of you put your backs into it,” The Sergeant ordered and everyone did as told.

“The tires still look good. It’s got some gas. Battery works. I think I could hotwire it if we need it.” Ford commented as he inspected the truck before they moved on. Luck seemed on their side as the hotel had a hole in the wall, allowing entrance and The Radioman gave out orders.

“Fletcher, you and the kids wait until we secured the lobby. Duffy, take right! Ford, left with me! Hill and Cutting, second floor!”

As they stormed in, William yelled, “They’re dug in by the main staircase, far side!”

“MGs on the stairs too! Push around to their flanks!”

Fletcher and the kids waited for a few minutes before the gunfire stopped and the US officer yelled, “Lobby is clear! We need to secure the basement.”

The group stayed behind the soldiers as they walked down the stairs, using flashlights as it was very dark at the end, opening a door, coming to what looked like a cellar.

Strangely, Dinky and her two friends could swear they heard the young voice, whispering something. “Sounds like a kid. Christopher, you still got that chocolate bar?” Hill asked him and he nodded, pulling it out and walked forward.

“Bet y’all hungry. Go on, take it.” Barely had he spoken, a little girl with a teddy bear ran forward and grabbed it.

“Sara!” A woman ran out of the shadow, standing protectively in front of the young girl, holding a rifle.

“It’s alright, it’s alright!” William yelled, holding out his hand, slowly walking closer. “We’re not gonna hurt you, we’re not gonna hurt you.” He gently grabbed the rifle, lowering it.

“No food, my daughter, please. Help us.” The woman spoke in broken English.

“No, no, enemy reinforcements will be here any minute. We don’t have time to be baby sittin’ civilians.” Jackson argued.

“There are only two of them,” William replied.

“Sir, you better come see this.” Duffy removed a curtain, revealing a group of civilians, hiding in here and the Sergeant’s eyes went wide.

“Ahh, just perfect.” He deadpanned but Hill got an idea.

“We passed that truck earlier. We can drive it back here and get them out.”

“With all due respect, our mission was to secure that hotel,” Jacksons stated before the woman started to speak to him in her language, sounding desperate. “I don’t speak Italian.”

“I speak Italian. Don’t worry It’ll be alright.” Christopher spoke to her in the Italian language, surprising everyone.

“You speak Italian?” His superior asked dumb folded. “When would you tell us?”

“I wasn’t.”

“Alright, we’re getting these people out of here. Ford, Duffy, you take the truck, rendezvous with us on the west side of the hotel. Get moving!” The Captain ordered.

“Makes me wonder what else you’re hiding from us, Mr. Ford,” Jackson mumbled with suspicion.

“Cut me some slack, Sarge.” Christopher just said as he walked up the stairs with Duffy.

“Can’t believe we gotta worry about a bunch of locals.” The Brit sounded disappointed.

“They got a kid in there. Old folks too.” Ford countered.

“Can’t save everybody.”

“They’re civilians. We send ‘em to the rear. That’s what we do.” The American pointed out.”

“Yeah, yeah…”

“Cover me.” The Rifleman climbed into the driver seat and hotwired it, and Duffy kept his eyes open with a few other soldiers, as there was the sound of engines.

“APCs!” He yelled as Halftracks entered from the back of the truck and they opened forte, keeping the Axis troops busy. The shootout lasted for a few minutes before the enemy troops retreated. “I think they might be regrouping on the north side!” He suspected as he climbed onto the driver door.

“Then we must inform the others and get those folks out fast.”

“That, or dig in,” Duffy suggested.

“Too risky. We don’t want them to get caught in the crossfire.” Ford replied with worry.

“As much as I hate to say it, Jackson’s right, Christopher. We don’t have time to worry about these people.”

“They’re civilians! They need our help!” Ford stated as he reached the lobby

“Drive through and park it on the street!” The Sergeant ordered and the private did as told.

“Sir, enemy reinforcements are on the way!” Ford reported as the civilians walked out, Fletcher and the siblings noticed how the mother looked around with a confused look, becoming worried.

“Sara? SARA!” She was about to run back in but got stopped by William.

“My daughter is still in there!”

“Well then that’s where she’s staying. We gotta get these people outta here. Come in.” Jackson replied cold.

“Sergeant, let me and Fletcher go.” Ford volunteered, the stallion nodded as he realized Dinky was gone too.

Before Jackson could argue, Hill said, “You got two minutes.”

“Will do, sir. I take the left of the basement, you the right.”

“Sure thing.” Fetcher gently took Blau of his back, he and Katja looked with worry after the two as they separated.

Fletcher opened the door, only to see an Italian soldier on the other side. “Bick!” He exclaimed in surprise, the Italian did the same in his language before the man threw him to the ground and they both struggled. The stallion used his magic to grab the Italian’s knife from his belt, stabbing him into the side. The soldier let out as pain of scream, getting shoved to the side by the unicorn.

The door at the other end was kicked open and a group of Italians moved in, so Fray made a dash for the door he had opened and locked it. The enemy fired through the door, the bullets missed him but in an attempt to cover himself, he lost his balance and feel down the stairs with a cry of pain.

“Not my finest moment.” He mumbled as he got up and quickly moved towards the cellar, meeting Ford as he came from the other side. “No luck either?” The man shook his head and both searched the cellar.

“Dinky! Sara!” Both called out, checking the chambers, but they all were empty until they got to the last one in the far back, seeing both girls hugging each other.

“Sorry, a retreating enemy almost caught us, so we had to hide.” Dinky explained and Fletcher just took her on his back, Ford gently took Sara on his arm.

“I heard him coming here!” A voice yelled and a hostile squad moving in, both soldiers crouched, the young girl whimpered, with Dinky giving her a brave look.

“It’s alright.” She whispered as the two soldiers sneaked from cover to cover, avoiding the enemy until they were outside and in the corridor.

“I heard something!” Another voice yelled and they quickly hid in another chamber as another squad came down the stairs but in the hectic, Sara accidentally dropped her teddy, it got caught in the doorway.

They all held their breath as the soldiers stopped in front of the door. “What are you doing, get up here at once!” One of the Italians yelled. “We are under attack!

“We are looking for someone who must been through here.” one of the others replied.

“Get up and support, quickly!” The first soldiers ordered and the others moved out but he spotted the Teddy. “What is that?”

He ducked to pick it up and Dinky slightly trembled.

“We are under attack!! A fellow soldier yelled up stirs and the Italian at the door stud up.

“Si!” And ran upstairs, with the four letting out a breath of relief, Ford picked up the Teddy, Sara hugged it tightly.

“You're doing great, we're almost there. Just need you to be brave a little longer.” He praised the girl as the moved upstairs, hearing gunfire.

True to the sounds, a battle had started, causing Christopher to wonder, “Where do they all comin’ from?” But it also allowed them to slip past unnoticed, using a destroyed wall on the far left, coming out right next to the truck and Ford gently put the girl in the back.

“Sara!” Her mother exclaimed and looked at the American with a happy expression as the enemy retreated. “Thank you!”

“Just doing what is right.” He replied as the two got on the truck and it was driven away by one of the civilians.

“Dinky, you’re okay!” The siblings exclaimed, glad to see her.

“Yes, I am fine.”

Shortly afterward, the main force arrived and Major Blackmore looked at Jackson and William with a stern expression. “Your orders were to take the hotel, not evacuate civilians.”

“Sir, with all due respect, they had been caught in the crossfire otherwise,” Hill explained, ready to accept whatever punishment he would receive.

“I know, and you did well.” Blackmore started to smile. With the hotel as forward base, we can advance deeper into the city.” He said as a Sherman tank and a Churchill tank also arrived, the former having a heavy machine gun on a pintle mount at the top of the turret.

“Sergeant, get an MG on the roof of this tin can. It's time to shred some krauts!” The tank commander said as he manned it and Mackay raised his arm.

“Move out!”

“Brave soldiers of the USA and Britain. The Third Reich and Social Republic have no grudge with the common British and American citizen. It is your own false leaders Roosevelt and Churchill who wish to fight this war for their own benefits. Do such men deserve your loyalty? Are they really worth dying for?” Another broadcast echoed through the street as they moved on, Fletcher and the kids stayed behind the tanks.

Duffy peeked over his cover and ducked as gunfire came out of one of the houses, missing him barely and the tanks opened fire, collapsing it completely. The rubble made it very difficult to use anti-tank weapons, so the allied troops pushed through the Axis infantry with little trouble until the tanks stopped at a barrier of barbed wire, causing Hill to ask, “What's the hold up?”

“The only way through is into that parking garage and out the other side! We're going to have to take it slow – not sure if it can handle the wei-“ The tank commander stopped abruptly as a bullet hit him right into the head and blood splattered.

“Sniper!” Ford yelled.

“Carter's hit! He's hit!” The tank gunner shouted and Ford spotted a glint in the distance.

“Top floor of the building in front of you! Hit it now!” The Sherman fired and destroyed the building.

“Ford, get on the 50 caliber!” Jackson ordered and the private obeyed, climbing into the hatch and the tanks moved through the barricade, with him firing at every infantryman he saw.

Spotting an enemy with a Panzerfaust, he barely ducked into the tank as it exploded right in front of him, muffling his hearing for a moment but the tank was undamaged. “Everyone OK?! Talk to me, 2-2!” The Churchill commander asked worried on the radio.

“We're good!” The radioman of the Sherman replied.

“Alright, let's roll!”

They then moved on, an enemy Semovente 75/18 rolled up at the end of the street but the Sherman fired first and hit the engine, destroying it as it went up in flames before they reached the parking house, seeing Axis troops retreating into it. “They're falling back to the garage.” The Sherman radioman pointed out.

“Alright, we check the lower decks, it would not be able to hold our weight. After you, 2-2.”

The tanks moved in first, followed by the infantry and their friends at the back, keeping their eyes peeled before engaging more infantry. Fletcher and the kids waited patiently in cover, moving on when it was safe.

However, as the Sherman moved on the ramp, it begins to crack, and Ford shouted, “Back it up! Back up!”

“Oh crap!” The driver yelled as the tank fell through three floors of the garage. When he landed, cars from above floors fell down around the tank. Ford looked up and saw a car tip over. He quickly dropped inside the tank just as the car hit the top of it and got stunned for a moment.

“2-2, you alright?! 2-2, come in!”

“You ok? You alright, man?” The gunner asked and Christopher nodded, still a bit dazed and they all climbed out.

“Everything alright?” Fletcher asked concerned as he and the kids dropped carefully down, together with the other soldiers.

“Yeah. We're good.” The gunner replied.

“Can you shoot?” Cutting asked him and he held up his M3.

“Yeah, I can hold my own.”

“Alright, basics mates. Find cover, return fire. Let us know if you need any help.”

They had barely moved before Duffy yelled, “Contact!”

As the kids pressed themselves against the tank, they saw the Rifleman look at them with a determined expression. “Stay by me, and I'll keep you alive!”

Dinky, Katja and Blau nodded, weakly smiling to see he cared for them as the Allied soldiers slowly fought the way out of the parking house, only to see a Panzer Iv moving up the street.

“Tank!” Jackson yelled and reached for his radio. “2-1, where are you?!”

In response, the British tank crashed out from a brick building on the right. The Churchill and the Panzer IV turned to each other, but the Brits got the shot first and destroyed the German tank. “Threat neutralized. We're moving up.”

“Move up! Push forward!” Jackson ordered as the enemy retreated down the street, with the Allies close in pursuit.

“This is too-“

Fletcher couldn’t finish as an explosion on a very tall building to the left knocked him and the kids down, Dinky and the sibling let out a cry of pain as they landed hard on their backs. The explosion blew off the columns of that building and a car was thrown towards the kids, missing them by a few meters. The building collapsed across the entire street and crushed the tanks, generating a large cloud of dusk. A piece of debris hit near Dinky and she temporarily blacked out.

The filly woke up with ringing ears and looked at her hooves which have sustained major injuries, bloody cuts. Everything she heard was muffled and echoing. Katja and Blau shared her reaction, having also suffered cuts.

They saw some of the allied soldiers stumbling around before either passing out or sitting down on the ground stunned. Fletcher stumbled around, dazed before he shook himself and gasped.

As their hearing recovered, they heard him moving to her. “Move! Move! Head for the building!” He levitated them towards the collapsed building as more debris were fell down, missing them by meters.

Just as he had levitated them in, he looked up and dove out of the way, a large debris landed in front of the entrance. “Are you okay?” He asked through the blockade, it was lightly dimly lit.

“W-we’re fine.” Dinky managed to say in shock.

“Good. Don’t worry, I’ll find a way to you.” He said and his hoof steps got quieter as he walked away.”

Dinky still breathed heavily, trying to process what had just happened. “We need to find a way out of here.”

“R-right….” Blau stuttered. “Still…blowing up an entire building…that’s insane!” He exclaimed as they moved across a particularly destroyed floor with plenty of gaps.

Suddenly a very sharp, foul entered their noses. “Ugh…What’s that stench?” The colt wondered and the eyes of his sister went wide.

“Gas!” Then an explosion threw them over, slightly dazed. “Must been a leak! We must get out we are burned alive!”

They all stayed low to avoid the smoke and flames, crawling along a corridor. A book case fell and almost crushed the children had it not landed on a table.

“I don’t wanna die! There must be a way out of here!” The colt exclaimed in panic as the fire was spreading and no exit in sight.

“Keep moving! Don’t stop!” his sister yelled with fear, looking around.

“We will make it! We will make it!” Dinky tried to stay calm, feeling the heat of the fore but it seemed hopeless.

Would they die a painful death and never see their families again?

It can’t end that way! It can’t! The filly thought in panic as they came to the end of the corridor.

There was a giant hole in a wall at the end. “Jump!... GO!” Dinky yelled before another explosion blasted them out and they were dazed on impact, their visions blurry.

“Hey! Over there!” A voice called out before everything went black.

Author's Note:

Yes, Ruse, and a movie reference you might know