• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 5,395 Views, 98 Comments

Queen of the Dead - Viper Pit



All are equal in death that is a fact how ever there is one exception. The queen rules death and she doesn't take kindly to immortals who deny her what is rightfully owed

  • ...
20
 98
 5,395

Preparation

It was the middle of the night when my other hand had returned to me empty, so that tells me that Granite got home safely with the foal. Good for her. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting the hand for another couple of days but that tells you how resilient earth ponies are.

Sombra had gotten tired and fell asleep on my back. I just kept walking at the same pace since we left Trottingham despite the extra weight. I have been planning this entire time to play the long game in my upcoming fight.

So far I figure I will widdle them down with numbers, then once they are weakened, I'll try and take their souls. Should that fail, well, I am still figuring that part out, as a large problem comes from the fact that I don't know a lot about them or their abilities. It's quite a pain, really.

More walking and thinking happens until dawn arrives. The biggest problem is getting them out in the open so I can correct their existence. I don't want to start something with the mortals, as they are innocent in what's to come.

The only thing that I could use is the fallen kin of theirs. Yet where shall I find a large collection of them? And would they be the right ones? I don’t need mere ponies of low rank, such as mere towns ponies, I needed warriors and fighters, maybe even a few blacksmiths to make weapons and armor for them.

I think for a moment, then felt something pull on me, I look back, and yet Sombra still slept. The tugging feeling came at me again, in the opposite direction, and I followed the pull.

I have been walking for about two hours. This tugging sensation grew stronger and stronger as I kept on walking. It felt strange, that was for sure as my footsteps crunched twigs and leaves that had fallen in the forest. Each step, the pull was a little bit stronger, as long as it was forward.

I had no clue where I was walking at this point. My mind has gone numb from thinking too hard about it, but acute when it comes to finding a way to correct those crimes of nature these ponies dare call Goddesses and their princesses.

I broke through the clearing and my mind went blank at what I saw. I scanned the area, what I have found, what I’ve been dragged to for the past two hours was what looked to be a warrior graveyard. The very thing I needed as of now.

The swords stuck up from the graves, the helmets of every fallen one clung to the side of the tomb, their wears never needing to bear their helmets and arms again, for they have served their duty in battle. But I shall have their bodies serve me, for their souls have longs since been reincarnated.

Setting Sombra next to a nearby tree, I head to the center of the field and I begin casting a reanimation spell. Think of the spell-like controlling puppets on strings. Because the bodies are little more than puppets to me. Some might say it's wrong to mess with the dead but I am the ruler of death in this realm and me, and only I, can decide what is wrong to do with the dead.

Maybe something is wrong with me? I think as I continue casting the spell. One by one, skeleton ponies come from their graves. Soon, about two hundred skeletons have risen, their eyes empty, their flesh; hardly any left and armor still on them. Not bad for my first mass animation spell. When I finished, I had noticed Sombra had woken up at some point and was examing one of the skeletons.

"What are you doing Sombra?" I ask as I walk up to the small two-legged unicorn.
He quickly replied without looking at me, "I have never seen a spell this complex before." He then looks at me with big sad eyes. "Can you teach me it?"

I shake my head for a moment before replying, "Let us see how this upcoming battle goes first." He sighs before nodding. I look over my work and I quickly see something wrong. "We have an army but, they are weak and will fall apart easily"

As if to prove my point, Sombra throws a rock at one and it falls apart before it reassembles. "How do we fix that then, Loreley?"

"They need armor and more weight on them. As tough as bone is it can still be broken." I waved my hand across the skeletons and I basically put them to 'sleep' until I can get the necessary materials for them. "We will need to find a creature that can make the army armor and another one to enchant the armor."

"Making armor is one thing but the enchanting will be another thing altogether." Sombra points out. I nodded in agreement. I have not seen many unicorns let alone one with the ability and skill for what I need. This could be very problematic if I am unable to find an enchanter and a way to keep Sombra away from the fight.

"We will have to look for an enchanter first since finding a blacksmith will be easy in comparison." I begin casting another spell on the army so I can summon them without the need to physically be here. To perform such a spell I bite into my thumb drawing blood and I begin to mark every single one with a symbol connecting them to me. I do indeed have to bite into my thumb dozens of times during the process.

"Are you sure you can't teach me any magic?" Sombra asked as I finished up.

"I do not know, for I do not know what spells are suitable for you or the basic knowledge of this world's magic. I myself know only my powers since it comes out naturally to me," I say as I dust myself before I turn to him. "But I believe I can teach you this spell, as it is simple at least when compared to the magic I used earlier." I see his smile grow tenfold as he hears my words.

"Really?!" He then makes some sort of squeak as he runs up to me and hugs me, his horn piercing my stomach. I notice I feel no pain or discomfort from his horn, just some mild annoyance. "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU," He repeated his flurry of thank you's as I brushed the black mane of his head. Eventually, he separates from me, and by extension, his horn from my stomach.

"You're welcome Sombra," I said. "Now, What we need for me to teach you the spell is something that you want that you can summon to you." I can already see him thinking about what he wants to practice with. "Then we will need to find a symbol that represents your soul."