• Published 3rd Apr 2019
  • 6,651 Views, 182 Comments

Fatherly instincts - ShowShine



Spike finds an abandoned egg and his instincts kick in

  • ...
14
 182
 6,651

Meeting Scramble

Spike awoke to the sound of someone calling his name. He stirred awake to see Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity standing over him. He let out a yawn.

“Hey guys.” Spike muttered sleepily, almost falling back asleep. He felt something squirm across his chest, causing him to look down. Scramble wiggled happily against him with a large smile on her face. Fluttershy was playing with her hooves.

“Spike darling, if you don’t mind me asking, where did you get a baby changeling?” Rarity asked concernedly. Spike sat up and rubbed his eyes, holding Scramble in one arm, which wasn’t so hard because she was very small.

“I found a changeling egg against a tree before the storm started. I couldn’t just leave her so I brought her home. She hatched when I got here.” Spike explained. Fluttershy scooped Scramble in her arms, causing the foal to giggle.

“I think she’s adorable.” Fluttershy cooed.

“Did you name her?” Rainbow Dash asked. Spike nodded his head.

“Her name is Scramble.” Spike said. Applejack cocked her eyebrow.

“Scramble? As in the egg?” Applejack asked. Spike blushed slightly.

“I dropped her egg and instead of picking it up I made a joke about scrambled eggs.” Spike said. Everyone stared at him with a deadpan expression.

”Wow...” Rainbow Dash said in disbelief.

“I was tired, I didn’t realize at the time that dropping the egg could have killed her!” He defended. Scramble reached her arms out to be held by Spike. Spike scooped her out of Fluttershy’s arms. This was the first time he had seen her with her eyes open. Her left eye was a deep blue and the right eye was a dark purple. She had a large, gleeful smile on her face. A bang came from behind the couch and multi color confetti rained out.

“I think this calls for a ‘Newborn Foal and also New Dad’ party!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed happily. Spikes eyes widened.

“I’m not her Dad or anything, I’m just watching her until I can find her real parents.” Spike said. Pinkies ears drooped for a second before the shot back up.

“Well I can throw a party for her new parents!” Pinkie shouted happily. Spike stood up with a stretch, accidentally kicking the parenting book from the night before. It must have fell on the floor in his sleep. Scrambles stomach growled and she let out a cry.

“It looks like someone is hungry.” Fluttershy commented. Spike let out a small hum as a response and walked out the room. His friends followed behind, watching his every move. Spike entered the kitchen and his friends stood in the doorway. He pulled the bottle out of the sink from the previous night. He put Scramble in one of his arms and took the baby formula off of the counter, which he had left there. He scooped the same amount that he had the night before and filled the bottle with water from the faucet. He shook the bottle until it became a moly like liquid. He took in a deep breath a let a small flame shoot out. The bottle heated up instantly, which was warm enough for a baby to drink. He put the bottle into the crying foals mouth, causing her to quiet down.

“Aaaaawwww.” Everyone cooed from the doorway, making large blush apeared on Spike’s face.

“You’re a natural Spikey Wikey.” Rarity complimented. All of his friends made sounds of agreement.

“Cut it out guys.” Spike said in an annoyed grunt. Scramble had finished her bottle and Spike tossed it into the sink. He patted Scramble in the back lightly, causing her to burp.

“Aaaaaaw!” The cooed louder. Spike turned around and stomped his foot, his face bright red.

“GUYS!” Spike exclaimed in embarrassment. Rainbow Dash flew over to him and ruffled up his scales, causing them to flop over.

“We’re just messing around.” She said with a laugh. Spike fixed his scales, making them stand straight up.

“You would make a mighty good Dad.” Applejack commented. His face turned a deeper shade of red. Before he could say anything else, a foul smell wafted across the room.

“I know that smell, baby Scramble needs changing.” Pinkie Pie said with a close pin holding her noise shut. Spike grimaced.

“Let’s get you changed.” Spike said while walking out the room. His friends, like before, followed close behind. Soon, they all approached the room where Spike had gotten the pajamas and other baby supplies. He entered the room and placed her on the changing table. He unzipped her hoovsie pajamas and took them off of her, placing it to the side. He went into a drawer that was under the table and pulled out a diaper, baby powder, and baby wipes.

Spike opened her diaper and nearly gagged at the smell. He quickly rolled up the diaper and tossed it into a nearby trash can. He pulled out some baby wipes and wiped her clean. He slid the diaper under her and pour some baby powder on it. He closed the diaper and picked her up.

“All done.” Spike said happily. He picked up the dirty baby wiped and threw them away. When he looked back at Scramble, he noticed that she was gnawing on her ear. That didn’t seem healthy. He opened one of the bins to find it filled to the brim with pacifiers. Twilight loved Flurry a little too much. He pulled out a green pacifier with a little smiling frog on it and put it in her mouth. Scramble sucked on it happily.

“Spike we’re back!” Twilight called from the front door. Pinkie Pie let out a squeal.

“I’m going to tell Twilight the big news!” She exclaimed happily before zipping down the hallway. Spike let out a sigh. Twilight was going to freak out.


Spike walked towards the front door to see his friends surrounding Twilight and Starlight. Twilight looked at Spike and gasped when she saw Scramble. She flew over to them and scooped Scramble up into her arms.

“She’s so adorable!” Twilight exclaimed, nuzzling into her. Scramble let out a soft giggle.

“Are you watching her for Thorax?” Twilight asked. Spike let out a sheepish laugh and scratched the back of his head.

“Well you see, the thing is that I found an abandoned changeling egg and she sorta hatched when I brought her here.” Spike explained. He watched Twilights smile slowly turn into a gasped mouth and her eyes widened.

”WHAT?!”