• Published 3rd Apr 2019
  • 6,649 Views, 182 Comments

Fatherly instincts - ShowShine



Spike finds an abandoned egg and his instincts kick in

  • ...
14
 182
 6,649

He’s Back

Spike sat in the library, bouncing Scramble on his knee. She let out loud laughs at the movement. He read through a parenting book that he had the other day. If he was going to be a dad, he was going to be the best dad out there. He stopped bouncing his knee, causing Scramble to look at him.

“My legs getting tired.” He stated. Scramble climbed up his leg and laid on his chest, listening to his heart beat. She nuzzled into his chest and closed her eyes. Spike smiled. She wasn’t even asleep, she just enjoyed cuddling.

”There are only ten steps you need to follow to be a good parent.
Number 1. Communication. Always communicate with your child no matter the age. Even singing or humming can help.” Spike looked at Scramble who was laying on his chest. He let out a soft hum, causing Scramble to look at him. He hummed a soft tune, causing her to wiggle happily.

“You like music?” Spike asked. Scramble bounced on his chest slightly, now sitting upright. Spike picked her up and stood up from the couch he was sitting on. He held her sides and she flapped her wings, managing to stay off of the ground. Spike started to sing a little tune. Scramble babbled and giggled along.

“My tiny baby girl.” Spike sung out. Scramble blew out a happy raspberry and flapped her wings a little faster. She put her hooves on his nose. Spike let out a laugh. He heard a clicking noise and a flash of light, causing him to turn around. Twilight stood in the doorway holding a camera.

“Twilight!” Spike exclaimed in surprise. Twilight giggled.

“That was adorable.” She commented. A large blush appeared on his face. Twilight flew over to a shelf and pulled out a photo album. The cover had stickers of different types of eggs and flames. She opened it and placed the picture in a slot.

“You have a photo album of us?” Spike asked. Twilight nodded her head and flew down next to him, showing him the first page. The first picture was of him sleeping and Scramble curled up into his arms. The caption under it was ‘Nap Time’ with a bunch of “Z” stickers next to it. The next picture was of Scramble wearing her red sunglasses. Her hooves were stretched out to the camera as if she were trying to reach for it.

The picture next to it was at the party they had the week before. It was of Scramble, Flurry, Pumpkin, and Pound playing together. Another picture was of Spike reading Scramble a book. She stood up on his lap staring at the book in awe. The title of the book was ‘The Little Changeling That Could.’ The last picture was the one she just took. Scramble had her hooves on Spikes nose. Both of their eyes were closed and their mouths were open to show that they were laughing.

“Why did you start a photo album?” Spike asked.

“I realized that I barely have any baby picture of you, so I should at least have some baby pictures of Scramble.” Twilight said while gesturing to the baby. Scramble played with Spikes fingers. Before anyone could say anything else, a small spark came from the middle of the living room. The spark flickered slightly before a bright light covered the room. Spike held Scramble close to his chest, protecting her.

Spike opened his eyes to see Discord laying on the floor. His wings looked tattered and he had burn marks all over his body. He sat up and rubbed his heads. Spike noticed that one of his horns were gone.

“Discord? I thought you were dead!” Spike exclaimed in surprise. Discord let out a cough and sat up, stretching his body.

“Your child trapped me in the void.” Discord stated. Twilights eyes widened.

“What, that’s impossible shes just a baby.” Twilight said in disbelief.

“I would love to explain it to you, but I’d rather have tea with Fluttershy. The only problem is I don’t have enough magic to teleport and walking is just so far.” Discord said, leaning on the couch dramatically.

“I can bring Fluttershy here, she’s pretty sad cause everyone thought you were dead. We even have a memorial planned for later this week.” Spike said. Discord smiled. Spike carried Scramble out of the room and went to a nearby closet in the hallway. He placed Scramble on his head and pulled out a stroller.

“We haven’t got any fresh air in a few days.” Spike stated while strapping Scramble in the stroller. He walked down the hallway, pushing the stroller with him. Scramble sang loudly and happily, kicking her hooves. Well it wasn’t singing, more like screaming. Spike opened the front door to see that the sun was shining brightly.

Scramble scrunched up her nose at the brightness and blinked rapidly. Spike lifted the stroller down the stairs and placed it on the dirt ground below. He pushed the stroller down the path and through town. A lot of ponies gave him happy smiles and waves. Scramble loved all of the attention and laughed happily. Spike spotted Fluttershy standing at a cherry stand.

“Hey Fluttershy.” Spike said with a wave. Fluttershy turned around to reveal that her eyes were slightly red and she had dry tear marks on her cheeks.

“Oh, hi Spike...” She muttered. Spikes scales dropped at the sadness.

“I have good news, Discord isn’t dead.” Spike stated happily. Fluttershy’s ears perked up and she broke out into a wide grin.

“REALLY?!” She exclaimed, causing a few ponies to look at her. Spike nodded his head.

“Yeah, he’s at the castle and wants to have tea with you.” Spike explained. Fluttershy flew off into the direction of the castle excitedly. Spike chuckled and walked behind her.


Spike sat in the kitchen giving Scramble her bottle. Fluttershy leaned on Discord’s side and he held a teacup. Twilight sat across from them with a notebook and a quill.

“So tell me exactly what happened.” Twilight said.

“I was talking to Spike and Scramble sent me to the void. Normally I would be able to get out, but it seemed like she weakened my magic. I could barely float on my own. It took a week for me to get out and I still don’t have enough magic to get home.” Discord explained. Twilight jotted that down.

“You can stay with me until you get your magic back.” Fluttershy suggested. Discord smiled, wrapping his arm around her.

“That would be wonder my dear.” He responded. Spike could see that there was an obvious romantic tension that they couldn’t seem to notice.

“But that doesn’t make sense, Scramble is just a baby, she wouldn’t have magic that powerful.” Twilight said. Spike chimed in.

“Flurry Heart had really powerful magic.” He commented. Twilight shook her head.

“But Flurry is an alicorn. Her magic would be more powerful. Scramble is just a regular changeling.” Twilight stated. Spike noticed that Scramble had finished her bottle and he took it out of her mouth to put it in the sink. On the way to the sink, Spike stubbed his toe on the counter.

“Ow!” Spike exclaimed in pain. Scramble looked at the counter angrily and blasted it with her magic. The counter disappeared in an instant, only leaving a small trail of smoke behind. Everyone stared wide eyed at that moment.

“Told you.” Discord said cockily.