• Published 3rd Apr 2019
  • 6,649 Views, 182 Comments

Fatherly instincts - ShowShine



Spike finds an abandoned egg and his instincts kick in

  • ...
14
 182
 6,649

Date Night

Author's Note:

This chapter has a mention of blood and wings ripping off of bodies

Spike stood in the mirror, fixing his blue bow tie. He wore a black tuxedo top, a white shirt, and a green bow tie. He picked up a bouquet of blue, yellow, and pink flowers that were laying on his bed and looked at himself in the mirror.

“Everything will be fine, this is fine.” Spike said with a nervous laugh. Scramble stared at him in confusion, wondering what he was doing.

“Play?” Scramble asked. Spike shook his head.

“No raspberry, you’ll be playing with Auntie Twily. I’m going out for a few hours with mama.” Spike explained. He picked Scramble up and peppered her face with kisses. She let out a giggled as Spike walked out the room. He entered the library to see Twilight reading a book.

“Thanks again for watching Scramble tonight.” Spike thanked. Twilight smiled.

“It no problem. Besides, you need a girlfriend, you’re almost thirteen.” Twilight stated. Spikes scales flattened and a small blush appeared on his face.

“At least I haven’t been single for twenty seven years.” Spike responded, putting his hands on his hips. Twilight gave him a look of surprise.

“That was uncalled for.” Twilight said. Spike frowned and rubbed the back of his neck.

“Sorry Twilight, I’m just a little nervous. I really like Gabby and I don’t wanna mess this up.” He admitted. Twilight stood up from the spot she was laying and walked over to him, putting her hoof on his shoulder.

“You’ll do great tonight, I promise. Gabby likes you for who you are.” Twilight reassured. Spike smiled nervously.

“Thanks Twilight, I needed that.” Spike thanked. He kissed Scramble on the cheek and handed her to Twilight.

“Today is going to be so much fun! Are you ready to spend time with your. Best. Aunt. Ever?!” Twilight exclaimed, lifting Scramble into the air. Scramble let out a loud shout of excitement. Spike chuckled and waved goodbye.

“Bye, I’ll be back in a few hours.” Spike said as he walked out of the library. He looked at the bouquet of flowers in his hand.

“I can do this.”


Spike entered the nearly empty park, clutching the bouquet of flowers in his hands. The sun was setting and ponies were getting ready to go home. He hands were shaking a bit and he looked around.

“Spike!” A familiar voice shouted. Spike turned around to see Gabby flying towards him with a large grin on her face. She wore a blue skirt that matched her eyes and a white button up shirt. A small purple bow stuck out of her feathers. She looked stunning.

“Hi Spike are you ready for our date?” Gabby asked, barely containing her excitement. Spike was left speechless, staring at his date. He felt his cheeks grow warm.

“Your....face...nice.” Spike said, his face getting darker and his scales flattening against his head. Gabby let out a chuckle that made Spikes heart flutter. He held the flowers up to her face.

“This are for you!” Spike shouted, smiling nervously. The flowers brushed up against Gabby’s nose, making her tense up. She let out a loud sneeze and the flowers blew off of there stems, falling into pieces. They both stared at the flower petals that were now strewn across the ground.

“Sorry, those looked really pretty.” Gabby apologized. Spike shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s fine, they’re just flowers.” Spike reassured. Gabby let out a sigh of relief and pulled out two movie tickets from her shirt pocket.

“I got us tickets to see ’The Mare in the Mirror’, I heard it’s a romance!” Gabby said happily. Spike smiled. He loved romance movies and this was a good opportunity to get closer to Gabby.

“Let’s go then, we don’t wanna miss the movie.” Spike said as he flew off of the ground. Gabby held his hand tightly and they both flew towards the movie theater.


Spike and Gabby sat down in there soft cushioned seats, getting comfortable. Spike held a large tub of popcorn for him and Gabby to share. They had made it just in time to see the movie but missed the previews.

“I can’t believe we made it on time.” Spike whispered. Gabby nodded her head and took a handful of popcorn. The lights dimmed and a title card appeared on the screen. ’Mare in the Mirror’ the screen read out in blood red letters and chilling music played in the background. That seemed rather odd for a romance movie but Spike just brushed it off as an odd movie style.

A grey mare with long black hair walked across an old creepy house, the floor creaking under her hooves. Her eyes darted back and forth as she heard something from behind her.

Spike suddenly felt on edge and leaned over to Gabby. “I don’t think this is a romance movie.” He whispered to her. Gabby didn’t seem to hear him, her eyes glued onto the screen. Spike swallowed nervously and looked back at the screen.

The mare approached the mirror curiously and stuck her hoof out. A green slimy hoof shot out of the mirror and grabbed the mare by the neck, strangling her. The mare let out a bloodcurdling scream as she got dragged in the mirror.

Spikes breaths became quick and his scales fell flat. His heart raced at sight of it.

“Gabby we should really go.” Spike whispered in a slightly louder tone, starting to panic. He couldn’t handle scary movies, he would get nightmares for days and be paranoid for months.

The mare screamed as she got dragged into the mirror, gripping onto the ground with her dear life. The slimy creature creature grabbed ahold of the mares wings, ripping them clean from her body. The mare screamed in pain, blood starting to shoot out.

Spike gripped onto Gabby’s arm, shaking like a leaf. He had dropped the tub of popcorn and started to tear up a bit. Gabby looked at her date and leaned over to him.

“Let’s go.” Gabby whispered, grabbing Spikes hand. They both stood up from their seats and made there way out the theater. Spike and Gabby walked out of the theater, into the bright hallway. It was rather noisy because there were a few games there to play.

“Are you okay?” Gabby asked in concern. Spike let out a few slow steady breaths and wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Yeah, I just really hate scary movies, they give me nightmares.” Spike explained. He was still shaking a bit.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that this was a scary movie. I thought the R in rated R meant romance.” Gabby stated. Spike gave her a confused look.

“Gabby rated R means it’s not for kids.” Spike said. Gabby slowly nodded her head in understanding. She looked at her date who still looked rather distressed.

“Let’s go on a walk, it’ll be relaxing.” Gabby suggested. Spike nodded his head.

“That’s a good idea.”


Spike and Gabby walked through town, hand in hand. There was a cool breeze and it smelled like rain. Everything was so quiet and peaceful.

“You were right, this is relaxing.” Spike said with a sigh. Gabby smiled and looked up at the sky. Millions of stars littered the sky, twinkling brightly.

“The skies so pretty.” Gabby commented with a smile. Spike looked at Gabby and a small blush appeared on his cheeks.

“Not as pretty as you.” Spike said. His eyes widened at what he said and his cheeks grew darker. Gabby looked at him and a small blush appeared on her cheeks.

“Aw that’s so sweet.” Gabby said with a grin. Spike slowly started to smile with her.

“You know, I really like hanging out with you. I’ve had a crush on you for a while and I hope we can be together for a while.” Gabby stated, looking Spike in the eyes. Spike grinned happily.

“I hope we can stay together for a while too. Scramble seems to really like you and she would love to see you more often.” Spike said. Gabby stared at him for a few moments before breaking out into a grin and giggling happily. Spike started to giggle along with her.

“Do you wanna come over to the castle and watch a movie? I’m pretty sure Scramble would like to see you.” Spike asked. Gabby eagerly nodded her head.

“I would love that.”


Spike and Gabby walked in the library to see Twilight laying on a pile of books, sound asleep. Scramble laid under her wing, ruffling her feathers.

“Hi Scramble.” Spike greeted. Scramble quickly flew over to Spike and landed in his arms.

“Daddy!” She exclaimed happily. Spike chuckled. Scramble turned her head to see Gabby smiling at her. “Mama!” She exclaimed flying out of her fathers arms and into her mothers.

“I missed you so much!” Gabby exclaimed, hugging her daughter tightly.

“Follow me to the movie room, it’s always set up so all we have to do is choose a movie to watch.” Spike stated as he started to walk out of the room. Gabby followed close behind, baby-talking Scramble the whole way there. Soon, they entered the movie room that had pillows and blankets all over the floor.

“This all looks so comfy.” Gabby commented as she sat down onto the soft blanketed floor. Spike turned on the projector and placed a movie inside.

“Scramble loves this movie.” Spike stated before sitting down next to Gabby. As soon as the movie started to play, Scramble snapped her attention to it. A small smile crept onto her face. Gabby scooted closer to Spike and opened her wing, wrapping it around his shoulder. Spike froze for a moment before leaning into her soft feathers.

This was a perfect way to end a date.