• Published 3rd Apr 2019
  • 6,651 Views, 182 Comments

Fatherly instincts - ShowShine



Spike finds an abandoned egg and his instincts kick in

  • ...
14
 182
 6,651

Hanging Out With Mama and Grandpa

Author's Note:

Contains Spoilers for Season 9 Episode 23

Also this story is going to end very soon but the sequel will be released

Spike walked up a hill in Sweet Apple Acres. He held Scramble in his arms, who was sleeping peacefully. She let out soft snores and nuzzled into his chest. Big Mac had asked him to come there to show him something important. He approached the top of the hill to see Big Mac sitting there.

“Hey Big Mac, what’s up?” Spike asked. Big
Mac gave a large smile.

“So you know that me and Sugar Belle have been dating for a while now, but I’m ready to take it to the next step.” Big Mac said, pulling a small velvet box out from the inside of his yolk. He popped open the box to reveal a ring with a large shiny diamond on the top. Spike let out a gasp.

“It’s beautiful!” Spike exclaimed. He stared at the diamond, his mouth starting to water. Big Mac looked at Spike and back at the diamond before quickly closing the box and jerking it away.

“Nope!” He exclaimed. Spikes brows furrowed.

“I’m not gonna eat it!” He exclaimed. Scramble shifted a bit at the loud noise but quickly drifted back to sleep. There was a flash of bright light and a poof noise.

“Eat what? What is it! I want to see!” Discord said as he peaked over Big Mac’s shoulder. He hid the small box in his hooves.

“Nope!” He said, shaking his head. Discord gave an offended look.

“Why not?” Discord asked with a pout. Spike rolled his eyes.

“Cause you have a big mouth.” Spike stated. Discord let out a loud over the top gasp.

“Me?! I keep tons of secrets! Like Fluttershy's secret fear of clowns. Or that time I caught Twilight sleep-trotting through town. Oh! And did you know that Octavia went on a date with Bulk Biceps? Talk about an odd couple. I heard that-“ Discord cut himself off when he saw Big Mac and Spike glaring at him. He let out a chuckle.

“Oh. All right. Point taken. But we're pals, right? Comrades. Amigos. Come on!” Discord said as he summoned sombreros on top of there heads. A tiny sombrero appeared on Scrambles head. Big Mac let out a sigh and showed him the ring. Discord let out a gasp.

”BIG MAC IS GOING TO PROPOSE TO SUGAR BELLE?” Discord shouted, his voice echoing around town. Scramble opened her eyes and let out a cry.

“Sh, sh it’s okay.” Spike comforted, rocking Scramble a bit. She continued to cry, only getting louder.

“I’ll be back.” Spike said as he started to walk down the hill. Scramble sobbed, covering her ears.

“I know, I know, Discord’s a loud man.” Spike sympathized. He walked around Sweet Apple Acres, trying to calm her down.

“Oh Spike, I’ve been looking for you!” A voice said from overhead. Spike looked up to see his girlfriend, Gabby.

“Hey Gabby.” Spike said with a small wave. She landed next to Spike and took Scramble out of his arms.

“Mama.” She whimpered out, burying face into her mother’s feathers. Spike let out a sigh.

“I have to help Big Mac propose to Sugar Belle and I feel like Scramble is gonna find that boring.” Spike said. Gabby thought for a moment.

“I can watch her until tomorrow, I need to go back to Griffonstone and I already finished my route. And after you help Big Mac propose, you can have some time for yourself, ” Gabby stated. Spike thought for a moment. Gabby was responsible and Scramble really liked her.

“Okay fine, there’s just a few rules you need to follow.” Spike stated. Gabby beamed.

This was gonna be so much fun.


Gabby walked off of the train, pushing Scramble in a stroller. A large bag was on her back. Spike had filled it with stuff Scramble needed but Gabby felt as if he was being a little over the top. She didn’t really need 18 packs of diapers for one night. Gabby walked through Griffonstone, humming to herself happily. Scramble sang along loudly, making griffons glare at her. Gabby had forgotten about the no singing rule. She started to speed up a bit, ready to get home.

“Yo Gabby, is that a kid?” A voice asked. She turned around to see Gilda approaching her.

“I’m watching her for the night, Spike has something important to do and needs to concentrate.” Gabby explained. Gilda grimaced.

“You know that Grandpa Gruff doesn’t like babies.” Gilda stated. Gabby frowned. She had completely forgotten about Grandpa Gruff. She and Gilda lived with him and he would get mad if one of them coughed too loudly. He would hate it if a baby interrupted his naps.

“Well maybe he won’t mind this one time.” Gabby said with a nervous laugh, continuing to walk towards the house. Gilda flew after her, ready to take charge of anything bad happened. Gabby approached the house and creaked the door open. She looked around to see that the house didn’t have anyone else in it. Gabby took Scramble out of her stroller and kissed her on the cheek. Scramble happily laughed and leaned into Gabby’s chest. Her ears perked up when she heard the sound of the floorboards creaking.

“Gabriella, is that you?” Grandpa Gruff asked, walking down the hallway. He walked into the living room and his eyes widened when he saw Gabby holding a baby.

“Where the heck did you get that thing?!” He asked, pointing at Scramble. Gabby gave a nervous smile.

“This is Scramble, I’m watching her for the night.” Gabby explained. Grandpa Gruff scowled in disgust.

“Get it out of here or I’ll kick you out.” Grandpa Gruff commanded. Scramble wiggled out of her mother’s arms and flew over to Grandpa Gruff.

“Hi.” She said, waving her tiny hoof. Grandpa Gruff stared at her. He picked her up and hugged her.

“This is my new grandchild and I’d die for her.” He said, hugging Scramble. She let out a giggle, hugging her grandfather back. Gabby and Gilda stared in surprise at this quick turnaround.

“That was weird.” Gilda whispered to Gabby. She nodded her head in agreement.

“Okay Grandpa Gruff, it’s time for Scramble to eat.” Gabby said, reaching out to grab her daughter.

“NO!” Grandpa Gruff shouted, making Gabby jump back. She turned back to look at Gilda, who shrugged her shoulders. Every time Gabby got too close, Grandpa Gruff would glare at her. This was going to be hard.


Gabby peaked her head into the kitchen to see Grandpa Gruff fed Scramble. This was all so odd, Grandpa Gruff hated being around babies but now he was so loving and caring. He hated being around anyone for that matter. Scramble looked at Gabby and smiled, waving.

“Hi mama!” She greeted happily. Grandpa Gruff whipped around to stare Gabby down. Gabby froze in feat, staring back at him.

“Where did you get a baby?” Grandpa Gruff asked. Gabby entered the kitchen, maiming sure he wouldn’t hit her with a broom again.

“My boyfriend Spike adopted her when she first hatched. I’m watching her until tomorrow morning so he can get a break.” Gabby explained. Grandpa Gruff nodded his head and gave Scramble another spoonful of food.

“You know, I used to have a daughter.” Grandpa Gruff stated. Gabby’s ears perked up at the sound of that. He had never told her anything about his past before.

“She was just like Scramble, tiny and very kind. She grew up to be magnificent. As soon as she got the opportunity, she left and never contacted me. That was twenty years ago and I still miss her.” Grandpa Gruff said. He looked at Gabby, who was tearing up.

“Stop being such a baby about it, it’s not that big of a deal.” He said with an eye roll. Gabby hugged him tightly, making him let out a wheeze. “Get off of me!” He shouted, pushing Gabby away. “All I want is do you to bring Scramble over more often.” He stated, taking Scramble out of her chair. She let out a yawn and closed her eyes, nuzzling into his chest. Gabby smiled.

“I can do that.”