• Published 11th Sep 2018
  • 5,243 Views, 235 Comments

Our New Queen - Miner

  • ...
34
 235
 5,243

The Hard Questions

"Dad calm down!"

"How can I?!"

Soon after Thorax left Twilight for the night, Nightlight and Twilight Velvet went to see their daughter about her secret special somepony. Twilight sat patiently as her dad went on a rant about dating, kissing, and stuff. Her Mom looked like she was in a state of being both very happy and very angry. But one thing still bothered Twilight about the whole thing.k

"Hold on," Twilight interrupted her dad, "I thought you two were okay with this. After all, I explained everything to you in the letter I sent."

"Letter?" Nightlight asked, confused.

"Yes, the letter I sent to you four days ago. It explained what’s going on between Thorax and me."

"Twilight," Her mom said, "We didn't get a letter."

"What? But I’m sure I sent it to you."


Four days ago.

In front of Twilight's parents’ mailbox, a mailmare lifted a letter to insert it into the slot. She had to be careful. This mailbox had a few other mailboxes all around it.

"And in you...you ah... you ah...ACHOO!" Derpy sneezed and inserted the letter into the mailbox above the one she was aiming for.

It happened so quickly that she didn't realize that the letter meant for Twilight's parents was given to a mailbox whose owners were on vacation. Thinking that she’d done her job, she left.


"I’m sorry, Twilight, but we didn't get a letter from you."

"Well, that explains why dad didn't show up at Ponyville the same day I sent it."

"So what DID that letter have to say then?" Nightlight asked.

"Okay. The letter was going to tell you two that I was going to date Thorax for one week."

Nightlight was going to talk, but Twilight Velvet stopped him. "Twilight is there more? It sounds like you are keeping something from us."

"Wh... wh...what makes you say that?"

"I may not be your father, but even I know that you’ve never had a special somepony that you wanted to date before. So what makes this case different?"

"Well, he's not officially my special somepony yet."

"YET!?"

"We made a deal that at the end of the week, I will decide whether or not to marry Thorax and become a changeling like him."

It took her parents a few seconds to get what their daughter just said, "WHAT!?"

"I can always say no at any time."

"THEN SAY NO NOW!" Her Dad shouted.

"But."

"NIghtlight, I got this," Twilight's mom said.

Nightlight was going to say more, but then he got a look from his wife that meant she was serious. Nightlight noticed it and quickly hushed up. Twilight Velvet usually didn’t use the look on him, but she couldn't have her husband interrupting the conversation right now. There was a question that must be answered. She turned to face her daughter and asked:

"Twilight, do you love Thorax?"

Twilight’s face started turning red at the question. "What?"

"Do you love this changeling enough to marry him?"

"I...I...I"


Meanwhile, at Twilight's old room in Canterlot castle, Starlight woke up from her sleep and walked to answer her door as somepony was continually knocking on it.

"Who could be up at this hour?" Once she was awake enough, she answered the pony behind the door. "Who is it?"

"Starlight open up, please. It's me," Trixie said through the door.

Opening the door, Starlight let Trixie in. "Hello, Trixie. Did you need a place to sleep?"

"Oh, Starlight, I need your help."

Starlight looked out the window to see the moon still up in the sky. "Now?"

"Yes."

Starlight then made herself a cup of coffee to keep awake. As much as she wanted to sleep, her best friend needed her help, and she would answer the call. "Okay, Trixie. What is it?"

"I need your help in wooing a stallion."

"What?"

"You see, I’ve had my eye on a stallion for a while, but when I finally dared to tell him how I feel about him, I found out that he was seeing another mare."

"Okay. So why are you asking for help from me? Isn't this Cadence’s job?"

"I don't know the Princess of Love personally enough to request an audience like you can Starlight. And I want your help because you have a special somepony."

Starlight spits out her coffee. "What NO, I don't!"

"Don't even try to hide it Starlight. I’m your best friend. I know these kinds of things.”

Starlight cleaned up her mess before talking to Trixie. "Alright fine. But what do you want me to do about it? From what you have already told me, this stallion is already taken."

"I want to know how do I make him notice me and not her!"

"Well, I don't know much about this stallion, but I think nothing short of a break up could fix this."

Trixie smiled. "So they just have to break up. That’s all."

"Don't even think about it, Trixie! Friends don't ruin other friend's love lives just to get what they want."

"But he will never notice me if I don't."

"It cannot be helped, Trixie. If you want this stallion to love you, then you have to wait until he is not seeing this other mare. But you must have no part in that if it does happen. Indirectly or directly."

"Starlight, you are not very helpful right now."

"I’m trying to stop you from doing something you’ll regret later. Think about it, Trixie. If he finds out that you had something to do with his break up with his last lover, what do you think he will think about you then?"

Trixie tried to say something, but she couldn't think of a good reply. She just curled her tail to her side. "But I don't want to lose him."

Starlight hugged Trixie. "Trixie he was never yours, to begin with."

"What do I do then?"

"Does this stallion have a brother?"