• Published 11th Sep 2018
  • 5,216 Views, 235 Comments

Our New Queen - Miner

  • ...
34
 235
 5,216

Our future is at stake.

It had been weeks since Queen Chrysalis was defeated at her hive. Now the changelings were ruled by Thorax and his brother Pharynx, and peace had been made between changelings and ponies. Relationships between ponies and changelings were improving, and the future was looking bright for them all. However, a meeting was called between the rulers of the lands on Thorax’s behalf to meet in Canterlot to discuss the future of the changelings in Equestria.

Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, was accompanied by her student and friend Starlight Glimmer and the two of them had already taken their seats as they waited for the rulers of Equestria to make their way into the room. Twilight could see Princess Celestia alongside her sister Princess Luna sitting on the side of the table opposite to her. Twilight had asked earlier if her friends could join her in this meeting, but she was told that only Starlight could accompany her, as the conference hall was already going to be full as it was. The rest of her friends would have to wait in one of the many guest rooms of the castle until the meeting was over. Twilight turned to face Starlight.

"What do you think this is all about?" She asked her as Starlight scratched her head trying to come up with an answer,

"I am not sure, but if Thorax wants an audience with all of the rulers of Equestria, then something is definitely wrong." As soon as Starlight was done talking, the doors to the room opened up, and the other rulers of Equestria began to take their seats.

Ember, the Dragon Lord, flew into the room and landed smoothly on her chair with a grumpy look on her face. Prince Rutherford of Yakyakistan walked casually to his seat and moved it out of the way for being too small for him to use. Last but not least, Grampa Gruff from Griffinstone. Though he was not technically the ruler of the Griffins, he was the only one willing to represent them. Looking around, Twilight noticed that they were short a few leaders.

"Is there no word from Queen Novo?" Twilight addressed the two rulers of the ponies present besides herself.

"She did send us a letter." Princess Luna said, opening up a scroll in front of her with her magic. "She said that for some reason they have been finding ponies and other creatures throwing trash in their waters and that she has every available Hippogriff looking into it. And will not be able to send a representative to this meeting. She apologizes for the inconvenience, but her seaponies come first."

"Oh, I was just wondering," Twilight said.

Just then the leader who called for this meeting entered the conference room: Thorax, along with his brother Pharynx.

Not wanting to wait any longer Ember spoke up, "Okay, let's get this over with," she grumbled as she slid down in her seat, "What is this about?"

"Dragon ruler sounds hangry." Prince Rutherford said, looking in Ember’s direction.

"That’s because I am!" Ember shouted to the ceiling, "You all called this meeting in the middle of my lunchtime. Who does that!"

"My apologies Ember," Thorax said, lowering his head a little for costing someone their lunchtime, "I didn't mean to cause you any inconvenience, but I...," Thorax stopped mid-sentence when his brother glared at him, "Uh... we" Thorax corrected himself as Pharynx nodded "need your help."

"What troubles you, my friends?" Princess Celestia asked gently, prompting Thorax to continue.

"As you are all aware, I am the new leader of the changelings."

"And your point is?" Grampa Gruff said annoyedly before coughing, which caused the leaders sitting nearest to him to lean away from him a little.

"My point is that my hive has no future with me as its ruler."

"Oh Thorax," Ember spoke up while moving next to him, "You are being too hard on yourself. You will get the hang of it." she said as she gave him a slap on the back, which caused him almost to lose his balance.

"I agree with Dragon Ruler," Prince Rutherford added, "Changeling can't just become good ruler in first month. It takes time before you become a good ruler."

"You all don't understand. That is not what I mean," Thorax began to say before being interrupted by his brother.

"Let me have a go at this," Pharynx said to his brother before addressing everyone in front of him. "What my brother is trying to say is that in due time, the changelings of Equestria will become extinct."

This caused everypony to gasp in shock, and the other species had mixed reactions from dumbstruck stares to coughing fits.

"What is the reason for this?" Twilight asked.

"The reason is that we don't have a Queen anymore," Thorax replied, but no one in the room understood. They looked at each other, trying to understand what he was going on about.

"I do not follow," Ember said, confused.

Pharynx shook his head at their lack of knowledge then cleared his throat, "Every hive has one egg-laying queen. When she is unable to bear any more changelings or if she dies, a new queen is found to replace her."

"And Chrysalis was your egg-laying queen," Starlight said, understanding what they were getting at.

"We obviously can't become the new queen since we are boys. We don't have the parts to make new changelings."

"But then how was Chrysalis made the Queen?" Luna asked curiously.

"She did what the other princesses did before her. She mated with other members of the hive to make more changelings when her time came." Pharynx said causing some of the other rulers to turn green at the idea. Pharynx rolled his eyes that this before continuing to tell them how things worked for changelings, "That’s how it has always been. It’s perfectly natural for a Princess Changeling to mate with another member of the same hive to make a new hive. Don't ask me how that can work. I just know that it can."

Celestia first settled down on her stomach before asking them a question, "So what is the problem then?"

"We don't have a princess changeling to take on such a role," Thorax said.

"How is that possible?" Ember asked, knowing that Chrysalis must have borne at least one princess sometime in her life.

"I could go into the details of how Chrysalis made sure any of her princesses couldn't take on the role of queen," Pharynx said, "but let's just say that she made sure that they couldn't have any children."

"If that the case, then what can we do to help you?" Ember spoke up, "Do you want us to find Chrysalis and bring her back to make more changelings?"

"That won't work," Thorax said while shaking his head after already considering the idea earlier, "For she can no longer bare any more changelings. We were going to be the last."

"Now that is a problem," Twilight said before making a quill and scroll appear before her and writing down any ideas on how to help her new friends.

"But you wouldn't have called us here without a plan, would you?" Princess Celestia said as Thorax nodded his head.

"There is a way to make a new queen from another species by transforming them into a princess changeling. Then she can become the next queen of the hive. However, the procedure can't be reversed, and that is not the hard part."

"What is the hard part?" Luna asked.

"The hard part is finding a female willing to give up her life as her native species and become a changeling for the rest of her life. That is just part one."

"There is more?" Ember spoke up,

"Yes. The female's physical structure must also closely resemble that of a changeling to maximize the chances of success."

"So what you are saying is that you need a female whose body build is like that of a changeling," Celestia said.

"In other words, you are in need of a mare?" Luna said, finishing up for her sister.

"Yes, your highness," Thorax said.

"If that is the case then what are those whose species are shaped nothing like changelings doing here then!?" Ember asked with some smoke escaping her mouth.

"I am wondering that myself." Thorax then turned to his brother, "Pharynx, why did you invite Ember and Prince Rutherford here?"

"I thought that they would get mad if they were left out of a meeting that had most of the other rulers in it."

"That makes sense," Thorax said as Ember kept grousing to herself half-heartedly, "And that is why we are here your highness. We are in need of a mare for the future of the changelings."

"If I am not mistaken," Celestia said, "This mare will no doubt become your wife as well, Thorax?"

"Oh, yes," Thorax said, blushing a little, "that is correct."

"Then the mare we would be looking for would have to be somepony who is comfortable with changelings."

"Yes."

"She would also have to be somepony who you can trust," Luna continued.

"That would be preferred."

"She would also have to be smart enough to handle the responsibility of being queen," Ember said.

"That is true."

"She would also have to be single without many family obligations. That way there won’t be too many ponies worrying overmuch about her," Grampa Gruff said.

"I can see your point there."

"She would also need to have a good mind to remember every changeling's name," Prince Rutherford continued.

"Yes."

"And if she so happens to be of royal blood then that would be a plus," Celestia said with a smile.

"That's quite the standard there, Princess Celestia," Thorax replied, "and not to mention a royal as well. Where could you find a pony like that?"

Everyone in the room save for Thorax slowly looked over to Twilight, who was busy writing down the standards of the mare they needed to find. It took her a few seconds to notice that everyone had stopped talking. She looked up from her paper and saw the eyes of all the rulers of the lands looking at her. Twilight checked behind herself to see if something was behind her but saw nothing. That was when she noticed that Starlight had moved away from her at one point and was now next to Thorax. Twilight started to get nervous as to why they were all staring at her.

"Uh did I miss something?"