• Published 29th Aug 2018
  • 1,599 Views, 23 Comments

Rise of a Duel Master - Darth Severus



Spike has entered the Battle City Tournament. As he aims for the finals, he discovers secrets, both dangerous ones, and ones about himself. How will Spike handle these dark and mysterious secrets.

  • ...
11
 23
 1,599

Darkness in the Alley

Spike had collected a few good cards from his duels, when he heard yelling from an alley. He ran over to the yelling to see Rainbow Dash with a creepy looking guy, his face deformed in a reptilian manner. Spike ran over to them and said, "What did you do to my friend!?"

The man chuckled, "I beat her in a duel. And look at my prize." holding up Rainbow Dash's best card, Red-Eyes Black Dragon

Dash was on the ground, "He's terrifying Spike, he dominated me before I could even do anything. He-"

The man looked like he was about to tear the card in half, "Don't you dare, I'll gladly rip this card up."

Spike growled, "Let me take care of this Rainbow."

Dash tried to stop him, but Spike was too stubborn. Right in the nick of time, she remembered they shared a telepathic link because of Spike's Millennium Collar and told him between their minds, "His entire deck is made up of phony Exodia cards and some spells and traps, he beat me by collecting all five pieces in his hand. Be careful Spike!"

Spike nodded and said to the man, "We'll duel, if I win, you give my friend back her card. If you win, I'll give you my Armored Dragon Lv. 7."

The man snickered, "You have no chance of beating me, but fine." activating his Duel Disk

Spike took the first move and played the Magic Card, "I activate a spell! Exchange!"

The man was shocked that he played a Magic Card that forced him to give a card in his hand to Spike. "You got lucky, but you still won't beat me."

Spike walked over and took Exodia's head from the man's hand, and the man chose Blue Medicine from Spike's hand. "Oh really? I wouldn't be so smug, you may have had four pieces of Exodia, but now you only have three, and I still have tricks up my sleeve. But for now, I summon Exodia's head in Attack mode, set a card, and end my turn."

The man thought to himself, "If he was trying to use spells to steal Exodia pieces from my hand, why would he summon one of them in defense mode? Whatever, he's just a punk." before drawing his own card and smirking, "Now, I Summon Exodia's Head in attack mode! Before I have it attack your Exodia, I use a quick-play spell, Rush Recklessly, which increases my monster's Attack power by 700 points!"

Spike smirked and said, "Bad move punk. I activate by face down card! Chain Destruction!"

The man's eyes widened and he yelled, "You mean this was all a setup!?"

Spike smiled, "I told you I had tricks up my sleeve, it didn't take me long to realize you were trying to summon Exodia. But now, Chain Destruction may not be able to destroy the Exodia head on the field, but it can prevent you from using any other copies of it that you have in your deck or hand!"

The main realized he'd lost, since the only other monster cards in his deck were the other four pieces of Exodia, but if he couldn't use the head, that meant he couldn't use Exodia to win. "No... no... NO, NO, NO! A stupid kid was able to stop the unstoppable Exodia! Damn you to hell!" before breaking down and falling to his knees with tears of frustration running down his face. "If I go back like this... I-" before all of a sudden, he fell to the ground, eyes open, but motionless.

Spike ran over to the man and tried to shake him to his senses, when he realized he had stopped breathing. "Dash, call an ambulance! He's not breathing!"

Just as he said this, Rainbow was on the phone with 911, and while Spike gave CPR, an ambulance quickly pulled and took the man to the hospital. Dash told Spike, "Thanks for beating that cheating punk. I know you were getting Red-Eyes back for me, but I lost it, and you won it."

Spike shook his head, "No, he cheated you out of it, you deserve it more than I do."

Dash knew Spike was too stubborn for her to argue, and took her Red-Eyes Black Dragon back from him. She ruffled his hair and said, "Thanks squirt, I owe you one."

The next morning...

The news about the man in the alley had made the news, and the doctors explained, "We're not sure how, but suddenly his heart just shut down completely, causing a heart attack. We did our best to save him, but he didn't make it. This heart attack left no signs of how it started, it's almost like he had an air embolism."

Spike felt conflicted about the man dying on the table. Of course he was an asshole, but that didn't mean he deserved to die. "There's got to be more to his death than just a sudden heart attack... There just has to be." he shook his head clear of those thoughts, "It's not my business. I have to get back to dueling." before heading back out of his house.

Meanwhile in an undisclosed location...

A dark skinned woman with a strange staff in her hand said to a group of men and women who had the same disfigured facial features as the man who Spike beat, "Remember this, failure results in death. Never forget that. You saw the news. I killed one of you, and I will not hesitate to do it again."

Who is this woman, and why was her minion killed? Something sinister is rising in Canterlot. Will Spike and his friends be able to make it to the finals with these dangerous people on the loose?

Find out in the next chapter!