• Published 29th Aug 2018
  • 1,599 Views, 23 Comments

Rise of a Duel Master - Darth Severus



Spike has entered the Battle City Tournament. As he aims for the finals, he discovers secrets, both dangerous ones, and ones about himself. How will Spike handle these dark and mysterious secrets.

  • ...
11
 23
 1,599

Trouble in the Cemetery

Spike had been winning all of his duels so far, but he hadn't found anyone willing to wager their locator card. "I've collected a bunch of cards, and a lot of them are good stuff, but without a locator card, I can't get any closer to the finals." He heard some people talking about a powerful duelist and walked over to them, "Hey, what's this about a strong duelist?"

One of the other duelists looked at Spike and said, "There's this chick out in the cemetery down that alley, and she's crazy strong. She already beat all of us out of our best cards, I don't think any of us could beat her. She's probably looking at the finals." Before realizing who Spike was, "Wait, aren't you one of Twilight Sparkle's friends? You could probably beat that guy! Twilight is one of the top duelists in the world! There's no chance she could beat somebody trained by her!"

Spike blushed a bit, he was trained by Twilight's grandfather, but that didn't mean he was as good as Twilight. Still, this guy sounded strong, so he might as well go see. As he walked down the alley, he saw the girl, who he recognized from the Duelist Kingdom Tournament, Zecora. "Zecora? You must have gotten much better at dueling since Duelist Kingdom. That doesn't mean anything to me though, I'm still a proud duelist, and I challenge you!"

Zecora snickered, "Indeed, I have trained hard. In this duel, we bet our Locator Card."

Spike nodded, "Deal" before activating his duel disk and shuffling his deck. As he drew his cards, he had a good hand on his first turn. He thought for a moment and said, "I activate Pot of Greed, allowing me to draw two more cards from my deck!" before drawing two new cards. He smirked lightly and said, "I send my Trap Hole trap card to the graveyard in order to special summon Mutant Janus Crime Boss!"

Zecora cringed as Spike summoned such a powerful monster on his first turn, and none of her monsters could stand up to it in terms off Attack power. She growled and simply set a monster in Defense Mode, saying nothing, being far too proud to admit she was in a tight spot.

Spike smirked, he could tell that Zecora was desperate if she defended on her first turn. As he drew his next card, he smiled, "First, I summon Battle Ox in attack mode! And since I have another Beast Warrior on my side of the field, I can activate Mutant Janus Crime Boss's special effect!" before taking out a coin. "If this coin lands on Heads, I can destroy one monster on your side of the field. If it lands on Tails, Mutant Janus Crime Boss's Attack and Defense will be cut in half until the end of your next turn. Let's see who has lady luck on their side." before flipping the coin in the air.

Zecora gulped, hoping that the coin would land on tails, since her Defense mode Abaki monster could destroy it in battle at half power, but even worse, if it was sent to the graveyard by the effect, she couldn't activate Akabi's effect since it wasn't destroyed by battle.

As Spike caught the coin he smiled, "Too bad Zecora, looks like fate is on my side. And now that it's landed on heads, I can destroy your face down card!" before his monster pulled out two different guns and fired upon Abaki, sending it to the graveyard. Spike smiled, "And I'm not done yet! Mutant Janus Crime Boss, attack her life points directly!" before the mutated cat monster fired his guns again. And after that, Spike also attacked with Battle Ox, leaving Zecora with only 3550 Life Points.

Zecora gulped even harder after the damage was dealt, she realized she made a big mistake against Spike, and even when she drew another card, she still knew she couldn't win. She sighed, and said "I know when I am beat. I begrudgingly accept defeat." before walking over to Spike after the holograms faded away and gave him not only her Locator Card, but also a another card as part of the ante rule.

Spike smiled and said, "It was a good duel all the same Zecora, it was just a matter of bad luck."

Zecora smiled lightly, "I suppose that is true. The best of luck, I wish to you." before shaking Spike's hand.

After he had defeated Zecora, Spike left the cemetery and saw the other duelists waiting for him. One of them asked, "So? How'd it go?"

When Spike showed that he'd gotten Zecora's Locator Card, a lot of cheering and groaning was made vocal, and it seemed that some of the duelists had placed bets on the outcome of the duel. He chuckled and headed off to find his next opponent, since all these duelists had already lost their best cards, he didn't want to make things worse for them by taking another card from them.

And so, Spike has obtained a Locator Card from Zecora, making him one step closer to making it to the finals. But things are not as peaceful as they seem. Deep within the shadows of Canterlot, dark things are brewing. Will Spike and his friend be able to stop what was once known as the 1000 Year Darkness from occurring for a second time?