• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 4,040 Views, 204 Comments

Identity Theft - FauxShores



100 people have been selected to go to a virtual representation of Equestria...

  • ...
14
 204
 4,040

Illumni

The sun shined brightly through Octavia’s window. Vinyl covered her eyes with her hooves, still half asleep. She rubbed them in response to the sun’s rude gesture. “Erghghghh” She whined.

Vinyl’s eyes strained as they tried to keep out the sun’s radiation. Her struggles to fight the pesky star nudged her into her friend. Vinyl froze for a second as thoughts of last night rushed to her head.

I almost forgot about that.

Quietly she snuck her hoof back to her side of the bed. She slowly nudged her foreleg under Tavi’s head and cuddled up closer to her. She embraced her friend as best as she could.

Today is gonna be weird.

She lied in bed for another twenty minutes before Tavi finally stirred. She had a fairly similar response to the light as Vinyl.

“Erghghghh” Octavia whined. Vinyl giggled.

“Good morning sleepyhead.” She said. Octavia smiled back at her.

“How long have you been awake?” she asked, rubbing her eyes.

“About twenty minutes.” She said. “Why?”

Tavi laughed. “You were watching me sleep for twenty minutes and the best you could come up with was “Good morning sleepyhead’?”

Vinyl sighed and smiled. “Isn’t it a bit early to be so cynical?”

Tavi looked at the clock. “I don’t think it’s too early for anything at noon.”

Vinyl laughed. “Yeah I guess that’s a good point.” She said rolling out of bed. “What do you want for lunch?”

Tavi followed her closely. “Um,” she thought “maybe something with those carrots we got the other day?”

Vinyl nodded. It seemed like a good enough plan.

The two spent the next hour laughing with each other while they tried to put together some kind of a salad. Seeing as they had both been pretty big meat eaters, salads were not really their forte.

“Shouldn’t we add like, cheese or something?” Vinyl asked.

Tavi raised an eyebrow. “You put cheese on salad?”

Vinyl looked at the bowl confused. “I think I did. Like, cheese and tomatoes and eggs and stuff.”

“Do ponies eat eggs?” Tavi asked.

“That’s a good question.” Vinyl thought out loud. “I don’t really know.”

They both stared at the bowl.

“We can still use dressing right?” Vinyl asked worried.

“Oh yeah. God, could you imagine salad without dressing?” Tavi laughed.

“That sounds like grass.” Vinyl added.

“Actually,” Tavi said “Grass doesn’t sound too bad.”

“Yeah, it doesn’t” Vinyl said, taking her bowl to the couch. The two sat down to enjoy their lunch and exchange conversation. They were almost finished when they heard a knock at the door. The two exchanged looks, wondering who the visitor could be. Vinyl stood up and walked into the front room. She took a peek out the peephole and smiled. Answering the door she greeted her guest.

“Derpy! What’s up?” Vinyl exclaimed happily. The blonde mare smiled as only she could.

“You’ve got mail.” She said, dropping the letter she was holding in her teeth in the process. She looked at the ground and smiled. “My bad” she said.

Vinyl smiled back. “No worries.” She said, taking the mail from her. She dropped it inside and called for Tavi to take it to the counter. Vinyl turned back to talk with the newly met mail mare.

“So, how long have you been working as a mail mare?” Vinyl asked. She still had no way to tell which ponies were real or not.

“I’ve been working since sunday.” She replied happily. “It’s a lot of fun, and the pay is really good.” She swung her mailbag over her shoulder. “How is your job going Vinyl?” she asked.

Vinyl’s eyes widened.

I’m supposed to be working?

“Uhh…” she said blushing. “I actually didn’t realize we were all working already.”

Derpy smiled and giggled to herself. “Thats funny.” She said “Everyone got mail on Monday telling them to visit the mayor to see what their jobs were. Except for us mail mares. We got our jobs early.”

Vinyl was confused. “We haven’t gotten any mail until just now.” She said. “Who was supposed to deliver it?”

Derpy tilted her head slightly in thought. In the background Vinyl could hear Tavi yelling. “Vinyl! We’re supposed to be at work!”

Derpy smiled and laughed. “Oh yeah, that was my job.” Vinyl rolled her eyes.

“Why didn’t you deliver it to us?” Vinyl asked.

Derpy was confused. “I did.”

Vinyl blinked. “I mean, why didn’t you…oh forget it. Thanks for the mail Derps.”

Derpy smiled. “You’re welcome!” she said as she turned around and flew off, taking out a branch of the nearby tree with her. Vinyl sighed.

That’s our Derpy.

She closed the door and returned to her living room. Tavi was re-reading the letter from the major. “Vinyl, we are supposed to be at work right now.” She said with a slightly panicked voice.

Vinyl tried to calm her down. “Relax. Let’s just go down to town hall to get this all sorted out.”

Tavi was still worried. “Are you sure? I mean, we just got here and we are already missing our jobs. What if we get fired?”

Vinyl laughed as she tried to reassure her. “Relax Tavi,” she said “Derpy, was delivering our mail. I’m sure we’re not the only ponies who missed their first day of work.”

* * *

“You are the only ponies who missed their first day of work.” said Mayor Mare, slightly irritated.

Vinyl’s jaw dropped. “Are you serious!?” she pleaded. Mayor mare nodded as she adjusted her glasses.

“Yes. Everypony arrived on time to their jobs yesterday.” She looked up from her paperwork. “Except you two.”

Vinyl blushed and scratched her head. Octavia was in full out panic, hyperventilating in the corner. “I’m sorry mayor. We would have gone to work, but we don’t know where we work.” Vinyl explained. “Actually,” she added “We don’t even know what our jobs are.”

The mayor sighed. “Alright. Well I guess we should get this sorted out.” she said. She leaned over to the side of her desk, which was really quite nice, to find the appropriate files. After a bit of searching she pulled up two manila folders.

“Alrighty then,” she said “I have your files here.” She adjusted her glasses again and coughed to clear her voice.

“Vinyl,” the mayor spoke “It would appear that your profession is listed as ‘Disc Jockey’”. She looked at Vinyl with sarcastic eyes. “I would never have guessed.” She said monotonously.

She’s so charming

The mayor continued. “You were supposed to play at ‘The Cloudhouse’ last night, and you are scheduled to play at ‘The Salt lick’ tonight at ten thirty.” She looked up at her client. “Would you like me to give you a list of venues and important contacts?”

Vinyl sighed. “Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you.” She took the paperwork and looked it over.

At least I’ll be keeping busy.

The mayor returned to her search. “As for you, Miss Philharmonica,”

Philharmonica?

“Your profession is listed as being the first chair cellist in the Canterlot orchestra.” She looked at Tavi over her glasses. “That sounds like a great career.” She added with a smile.

What’s that supposed to mean.

She handed Octavia some papers explaining where her recitals would take place and when the group met. “So,” The mayor questioned “Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Vinyl pondered the question for a moment. “I don’t think so.” She said. “Thank you so much for your help.” Vinyl added gratefully.

The mayor rolled her eyes. “Hmm. Well I do hope you are on time to your music thing from now on.”

Vinyl furrowed her eyebrows. Well good day to you too.

Tavi smiled and led Vinyl towards the door. “Thank you so much for your help.” She said “I don’t know what we would have done.”

The mayor smiled politely as she straightened her desk. “It was no trouble dear. If you have any more questions you know my hours.”

Tavi and Vinyl closed the door behind them as they left the mayor’s office. Vinyl huffed to herself in annoyance.

“She totally hates me.” She said irritated. Tavi grinned nervously.

“I’m sure she meant well.” She lied. She had to admit, the mayor didn’t exactly seem friendly towards Vinyl.

Vinyl rolled her eyes. “Whatever. We have bigger problems to deal with.” She pushed open the door that led to Ponyville square and she trotted down the steps. She looked towards the only clock tower in town. “It’s almost two o’clock, and I have to perform at a club tonight in less than nine hours.” She looked at her friend. “I have no idea how to DJ Tavi. No bucking clue.”

Tavi smiled weakly. “I’m sure you can figure things out. Let’s just go home and look through your stuff.”

* * *

Vinyl sat on the edge of her bed, not so silently having a mental breakdown. It was almost nine and she had made almost no progress with her equipment. She knew how to turn everything on, and how to get music to start playing, but she was really struggling with transitions and, well, everything else really.

There was a knock on her door, and she turned to see her roommate peeking in from the front room. “How are things going in here?” she asked. “Have you made any progress?”

Vinyl held her face in her hooves. Progress wasn’t exactly what she would call the last 6 hours of her life. “I can turn it on.” She groaned through her hooves. “I can turn it on, and I can get a song to start playing.” She rubbed her temples absent mindedly as she thought her situation through. She looked to her friend and laughed nervously. “I am so screwed, Tavi.”

Octavia sighed. She didn’t want to admit it, but her friend was not in a good situation. She walked over to her bed and sat down next to her. She gently kissed Vinyl on the cheek and then shared her gaze at the party equipment. “I’m sure you will put something together.” She assured her.

Vinyl blushed slightly. “I dunno Tavi.” She responded. “I’m gonna get chased off the stage.”

Octavia smiled. “That’s loser talk. You are going to go out there, and you are going to do great.” She sounded pretty sure of herself. Vinyl smiled a little and tried to relax. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

I got this.

Vinyl sat there for a minute or two before Octavia nudged her with her hoof. “I’m glad to see you calming down a bit” she said “but I think you should probably start getting ready to leave.” Vinyl nodded and silently dismounted the bed. She pulled a little wagon-like trolley out from her closet and started loading her equipment into it.

Tavi smiled as she watched her pack. “Are you going to pull all of your stuff on that little wagon thing?” she asked.

Vinyl finished lifting the last cable into the trolley as she responded. “That was the plan.” She looked up to her roommate. “Why?” she asked.

Tavi smiled. “Oh no reason.” She said. “It’s just kinda cute.”

Vinyl frowned. Cute wasn’t exactly the look she was going for. She was hoping to present more of a Deadmar3 vibe.

“What?” she asked. “A girl can’t pull her speakers to a show in a cart?” She stepped back for a second and looked at it. She had to admit. It was kinda cute.

Damnit.

“Well, I can’t really change this. And I have much bigger problems than how I am gonna look while setting up.” Vinyl said with a sigh. She really was scared about how the night was going to play out. She took a deep breath and swallowed her pride. Grabbing her cart’s handle with her aura she walked towards the front door. Tavi followed close behind.

“Alright,” Vinyl said “I guess I’ll see you when I get back, if you aren’t asleep.”

Octavia laughed. “Wait, you think I’m not coming to watch?”

Vinyl thought for a moment. “Hmm, I guess I didn’t think about that.” She finally answered. “Octavia never seemed like the partying type.”

Octavia smiled as she followed her friend out the door and onto the sidewalk. “Well I guess you don’t know me that well. I had my fair share of parties growing up.”

Vinyl smiled as she walked. That would have been a sight she would have liked to see. “Well I guess you haven’t always been a stale upper crust earth pony.” She teased.

“How rude!” Octavia joked with a fake posh voice “My bloodlines are most certainly upper upper crust.”

Vinyl laughed with a snort, which Tavi immediately called her out on.

“Nice laugh hun.” She teased with a grin.

“Oh hush.” Vinyl said with a blush. They stopped for a moment at an intersection. They checked both ways for traffic and moved on, a ritual the two had developed as a sort of inside joke.

They were getting close to the night’s venue and Vinyl was getting really nervous. Octavia couldn’t quite tell, but it looked like Vinyl was shaking while she walked. The finished the rest of their walk in near silence and arrived at the back door to The Salt Lick. Vinyl knocked and waited to be let in. They waited for fifteen seconds or so before they questioned their methods.

“Should you maybe have a key?” Octavia asked, confused as to how they were supposed to get inside.

“I doubt they would give a key to the place to someone who performs here.” Vinyl thought out loud. “If they did, that would be pretty dumb.” Vinyl looked around for anything that might help their situation. She walked around to the side of the building to see if there was another way in.

Octavia checked the wall for anything else that could be useful. She saw a security camera hidden slightly by the roof. She stared into the camera.

“Hey Vinyl,” She said, still staring into the camera. “There’s a security thingy over here.” Vinyl walked back from the corner of the building to see what Octavia was looking at.

“Nice find Tavi.” She said. “That’s way more promising than those trash cans over there.” Vinyl stared up at the camera with her friend.

“Do we need to like, wave at it or something? Vinyl said, waving her right hoof in front of her face. “Or do some kind of secret hoof shake.”

Octavia just stared at her friend and gave her a single, drawn out blink that screamed – Really Vinyl?

Vinyl rolled her eyes. “Well you think of something.” She said sitting down on her equipment and crossing her hooves “Cause I’m fresh out of ideas.”

Octavia tilted her head to get a new angle. A few seconds passed and she got an idea.

“Hello!?” She said very loudly towards the camera. She cleared her throat. “Is there anypony in there!?”

Vinyl laughed. “You think that will work? It’s a camera, it’s not like they can hear y-“

Vinyl was cut off by the sound of an intercom. “Who’s asking?”

Octavia glanced at Vinyl with a smirk and Vinyl simply shrugged.

“We are here to play a…a gig…or something!?” Octavia declared. Vinyl facehoofed. She hopped off of her stuff and approached the camera.

“I’m supposed to play here at ten thirty. You should like, let us in.” She yelled.

There was a brief silence. “What’s your name? I need to see if you are on the list.” The speakers said.

“The name’s Vinyl.” Vinyl spoke “Vinyl Scratch. That’s V-I-N”

“You aren’t on the list of performers.” The voice interjected. You have a stage name or something miss?”

Vinyl thought for a second. “Um. I guess it could be down as DJ Pony. Or…DJ Pon-Three, or whatever it is.”

The mares waited for a moment while they heard pages turning through the speakers.

“Ok, yeah, I found you, you guys can come on in.” There was a sound of a door unlocking and a well-muscled stallion opened the door.

“Thanks.” Vinyl said, as she pulled her cart behind her.

“Nice wagon.” The stallion laughed as he moved out of the way.

Vinyl rolled her eyes. “Bite me.” She said.

“Touchy touchy, I was only joking.” He laughed. “Actually it’s kinda cute.”

Gotta get a new cart.

Vinyl set her stuff down and watched the stallion close the door behind her friend. He was much larger than either of them and he had a dark gold coat. It had a similar look to that fancy dijon mustard.

“So, where do I set up?” she asked. The stallion had a confused look on his face. “I would set up where you normally do.” He said. “Haven’t you played here before?”

Vinyl blushed. “Oh yeah, right.” She covered, scratching the back of her head. “I don’t remember places very well I guess.”

The stallion laughed. “Can’t say I blame you. You do have a reputation of getting pretty smashed after your performances.” He said.

Oh god why.

“I do?” Vinyl blushed. “I uh…Well I dunno about that…”

“Relax, I’m kidding.” The stallion laughed. “Follow me. Stage is right over here.”

Vinyl awkwardly followed her escort to the stage. Octavia followed close behind and nudged her friend on her shoulder.

“I’m gonna go settle down at a booth and maybe get a drink.” Tavi said. “I’ll be watching you close when you go on, so don’t screw up.” She laughed.

Vinyl gave her a hug. “Thanks Tavi. I’ll try.” She then followed the stallion backstage to get set up.

Octavia waved to her friend as she left. She managed to find her way down a small set of stairs in the back and progressed towards the scene’s seating. She found a spot that had a decent view of the stage and sat down. There was a stallion with a blue and red tipped mane playing some rougher house tracks on the main stage. He looked like he was having a lot of fun.

Tavi glanced to her left to see a maroon stallion serving drinks to a few mares who were seated at the bar. She couldn’t tell what they were saying but it was pretty obvious he was flirting with them. Octavia scanned the room for a clock and found that it was almost nine thirty. Vinyl would be on in half an hour. She figured now was as good of a time as any to get a drink or two.

She propped herself up out of her seat and casually approached the bar, dodging a few less than sober ponies along the way. She approached the bar with a smile and asked what they were serving.

The bartender smiled. “We can serve almost any drink you can think of miss.” He said cleaning a glass. “What are yah having?”

Octavia paused to think. She knew the names of a few drinks back home, but, entertaining as it was, everything here seemed to be named after horse puns.

“Um. Do you serve Manehattens?” she asked. Manehattens sounded like a thing.

The bartender laughed. “Sure do. Best in town. I’ll fix one up for you.”

Octavia sighed. She was glad that worked.

“Here you go miss.” The bartender smiled. “Is there anything else I can do you for?”

Tavi smiled gratefully. “No thank you, this is fine.” She said. “I’ll be sure to come back if it’s good.” She laughed.

The bartender smiled. “Sounds good. Have a nice night ma’am.” He said moving on to take a new order from an especially tipsy mare.

“Do you think they could like, mix a bunch of them together like you do with soda? That would be so awesome.” A rainbow maned mare said to her friend.

“It would be!” a pink mare responded. “Give us two everythingtogethers!” she asked the stallion with a giggle.

The bartended laughed awkwardly. “Whatever floats your boat miss.”

* * *

Octavia sipped away at her manehatten. Vinyl would be on stage any minute and she was starting to feel pretty relaxed. She sat back in her chair and listened to the venue. The ponies attending weren’t especially loud, but she could still eavesdrop on nearby conversations. It was a bad habit of hers, but she always found it entertaining.

She closed her eyes with her head rested against the back of her booth and a smile on her face. The night was calm and she felt like she could almost fall asleep.

“Octavia!?” came a voice from right in front of her.

Tavi jumped in her seat and nearly knocked her drink onto the floor. Her eyes were wide open and she looked a little to her left to see a red headed mare laughing hysterically.

“Oh god, I’m sorry.” She laughed “I didn’t mean to startle you.” She smiled at Tavi, still chuckling. Tavi smiled back after calming down a bit.

“It’s nothing, just scared me a bit.” She laughed. She recognized the pony but she was having a hard time remembering the name. The red headed pony turned her head to shout something at one of her friends and Octavia caught a glimpse of her cutie mark.

Roseluck

“So how are you doing Rose?” Octavia asked, getting comfortable in her seat. “You come here often?”

Rose rolled her eyes. “That was lame Octy.” She said. “I was totally expecting better.” Rose turned for a second to yell at her friend again. “Carrot Top, I’m over here, look who it is!” She turned back to Octavia. “I want you to meet my friend Carrot Top, we’ve been rooming together since inauguration.”

Octavia was confused. “Inauguration?” she asked.

“Oh, that’s just the day we all started our lives here.” She said. “Everypony in town started calling it that, so why not right?” She walked away from the table to physically pull her friend away from the crowd she was talking with.

She’s an assertive one.

She returned with her friend. She had an orange mane and a yellow coat. She looked a little tipsy, but she wasn’t drunk.

“Oh my god.” She said. “Octavia! Girl how are you.” She approached Octavia with a hug. Rose smiled as she watched the unfolding awkwardness.

Carrot Top put her hooves around Octavia and hugged her like she was her long lost twin. Octavia smiled nervously and looked to Rose for help.

“Alright Carrie, that’s enough lovin’ for tonight.” She said as she pulled the mare off of Tavi.

“Sorry ‘bout that. She gets real friendly.” Rose blushed.

“Oh my god Its Lyra!” Carrot Top said, pointing to a blue stallion who was most definitely not Lyra. “Lyraaaa!” she shouted as she trotted off to greet her friend.

“Oh horseapples.” Rose said. “I’ve gotta stop her from making a fool of herself.”

Carrot Top was now hugging a very surprised stallion who was looking around the room for help.

“Well, keep her from making more of a fool of herself.” She said. “I’ll come join you in a bit Octy. I always like meeting new ponies but I’ve got to get Mrs. Friendly home.” She said walking towards the situation. “Don’t go anywhere!” she said with a smile.

Octavia blinked and returned to her drink.

That just happened.

She sipped away at the last of her spirits when she saw the current DJ announce that his show was over.

“I had a blast guys, but it’s time for me to bounce.” He said. “The party isn’t over though, don’t worry. We’ve got the one and only DJ PON-3 up next so get yourselves a drink and get ready for a night of solid beats.” He said into the microphone. He packed his stuff up and pushed it into the back room. He came off the stage the same way Octavia had gotten in and he sat down at the bar to get a quick drink and have a chat with the bartender. The bartender seemed a lot less flirty this time.

Octavia scanned the stage to catch a glimpse of her friend. She thought she could see some movement in the back but she wasn’t too sure. She figured she would be on soon enough and decided to grab another drink from the bar while she waited. Maybe this time she would try a brandy.

* * *

Vinyl looked out onto the stage. Her stage. She couldn’t really see much into the night club, it was mostly just lights and beams and it smelled like booze and cheap pizza. She saw the previous DJ pack up his things and tell the audience he was done. His set was pretty great from what she heard of it and the audience seemed to eat it up.

He brought his things backstage and moved them into the corner by the door. He was headed for the bar when he caught a glimpse of Vinyl.

“Hey Vinyl, what’s up?” he said approaching her. He held his hoof out for a bump. Vinyl turned around, half zoned out in anticipation of the event.

“Huh? Oh! Hi, yeah, what’s up? She said. She knocked his hoof with her own and laughed.

“Brohoof, amirite?” she laughed. The stallion rolled his eyes.

“If I had a dime for everypony that has said that to me since I’ve been here I would be able to retire. He said with a laugh.”

Vinyl laughed along. “I bet.” She said. “You headed home?” she asked looking at his stuff.

He smiled. “Yeah, but not quite yet.” He said. “I’m gonna go hang with my bud at the bar for a few and get a drink.” He started walking towards the stairs. “You have a great set now. I don’t wanna hear trash down there while I’m cooling down.” He joked as he walked off the stage.

Vinyl laughed to herself.

Don’t hold your breath

She stared out into the lights. She knew the eyes would soon be on her. She fiddled with the handle on her cart. She wanted to do this. She had always wanted to do this. She closed her eyes and tried to stay calm and focused. She took in a deep breath as she prepared to go set up.

She exhaled and smiled. She wasn’t sure exactly how the night was going to go, but she felt ready to give it her all. She started her walk towards the stage but she didn’t make it more than a few steps. Something felt wrong to her.

This is missing something.

She looked at her cart. All of her sound equipment was there. She wasn’t missing any of her CD’s or mixes. Everything seemed to be in order.

Then she saw it. She smiled and laughed to herself with glee.

Oh this is gonna be good.

She reached down into her cart of music stuffs and pulled out a pair of purple shades. She put them over her eyes and made sure they fit snugly. Across the room she checked out her style in the mirror. She had to admit, they looked pretty badass.

Returning to her cart she grabbed the handle with her magic and walked onto the stage. The white pony entered the stage with her trademark grin and shades. The audience applauded as she made her debut and started getting her gear together.

Vinyl took a deep breath as she plugged in her last accessory. Win or lose, it was her time to shine. She leaned into her mic and smiled.

“Is everypony ready to party?” she asked. The crowd cheered. Vinyl smiled. Hopefully she could keep the club this active all night. She adjusted a few knobs for the frequency and one for the treble. She opened the case to her first disk and brought her laptop to her audio program. With a final mouse click she started off the first track.

All or nothing I suppose.