• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 2,407 Views, 79 Comments

Twilight, Mare of Power - Banops



Finally a way to end all of Celestia's problems.

  • ...
6
 79
 2,407

Mother of Equestria

Some say that the only real way to face the unknown is headfirst.

I couldn’t believe the magical power I felt emanating from the mare before me. I hadn’t seen this much raw magic energy since the same mare had exploded with it years ago. She had proven, even as a young pony, that she was a competent magical unicorn. The only problem was she didn’t know how to tap into this enormous basin of energy. Until now.

All the fruits of our labors were about to be picked. I almost could taste the success. If we were to succeed, nopony would go hungry again, nopony would ever be in poverty again. Hell, even overpopulation could probably be considered a non-issue were it ever to be one. A way to clone time and space. Do you understand what that implies!? No lack of food, No shortage of anything… ever again. Everypony would be happy.

And she was the key.

And I was the mistake.

***

Wait, let’s start at the beginning.

Stress, stress, and more stress. Being the Princess of the day has its perks, I make important decisions and I have control over everypony, but eventually even I, the most powerful being in all Equestria need to take breaks. Of course I never show the effects of stress, after all, I need to show my loyal subjects that I can handle anything (The whole Discord and Chrysalis fiascos were just complete flukes, or tests for my loyal subjects, which ever is easier to believe. I don’t need to defend myself.) It is important for me to serve as the mother figure my ponies so desperately need.

This week had been quite a busy one. Political tension between some of my fair cities had been heavy. And on top of that, I had agreed to co-lead a promising research project into some multi-dimensional magic, which had recently hit a dead end.

Through all of ponies needing my ear every damned second of the day, solving their petty disputes, and our research going nowhere, I had enough of it. I needed to get some fresh air. I took a walk through my fine city.

I was trotting by the school of magic when suddenly I heard an explosion in the distance, over near Cloudsdale. After seeing the rainbow colored ring expand outward covering the sky and sending a slight magical pulse shooting through everything, which I could feel at the tip of my horn, I heard a crashing noise come from the school of magic. I glanced over to see what looked like a purple and green dragon burst out of the roof of the school.

The rainbow ring hadn’t been what surprised me, no, I knew what that was. It was a sonic rainboom. It was impressive yes, there hadn’t been a pegasus capable of pulling off one of those in… well… a very long time, but I had seen it before, even studied them, learning that they could stimulate the horn of unicorns allowing for easy access to their magical reservoirs.

No, what caught my attention was that dragon. I knew what kind of tests they gave to the little fillies and colts in that school. Sometimes the teachers, or judges, would have them try and teleport themselves around the room, or hatch an egg of some random animal. These tests were impossible for the young ponies and were actually pretty difficult for most grown unicorns. They usually just passed who ever was taking the test anyway. It looks like they were doing the egg hatch test this time. And somepony actually completed it, not just hatching the egg but also growing it (apparently a wingless dragon) to a monstrous size.

In addition to the big dragon head shooting from the roof, bolts of raw magic shot out of the windows. Whoever was causing this was powerful…

My hopes raised, I may finally have another lead on my research, what luck. I check out the source of the energy.

The room wasn’t hard at all to find, all I had to do was follow the blinding pulses of light. The magic energy being sent through the air was phenomenal. I opened the door to the classroom dodging a bolt of magic that hurled towards me the second the door was open.

Looking into the room, my mouth went agape. In the center of the room there was a little purple filly barely old enough to take the magic school entrance exam. She was suspended in the air, magic coursing through her body, shooting out of her horn in many directions. She was the source of this unfiltered, untamed magic. I loathe to admit it, but she was potentially more powerful than even me.

She was young; she was powerful and full of potential.

She was perfect.

She was Twilight Sparkle.

I put on my famous motherly smile and went in the room.


Over the next few years, I taught my most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle. I even let myself grow attached to her (as a birthday gift, I gave her the dragon she’d hatched during her exam which I had been nurturing. She named the little dragon Spike and immediately made him her “number one assistant.”) She was a quick learner to say the least. It took her little time to learn spells that would take most unicorns years to perfect. Better yet, she had zealous passion for the learning. Not a moment went by when I could catch her doing anything besides studying. She really was the best apprentice a princess like me could ask for. And seeing her face every time I praised her for her talents was precious.

Unfortunately she was never able to tap into her full potential like she had been the day I found her taking the exam.

Then my brilliant mind hatched another idea. The Elements of Harmony. There was one for magic wasn’t there? Possessing that power could be just what we, no, I needed to finish the multi-dimensional magic. And I could use somepony to help me take care of my sister, who was scheduled to return from her imprisonment in a few days. Luna, er, Nightmare Moon was NOT going to be happy when she returned. I would definitely need the help of a group of ponies to wield the elements. This way I could kill two birds with one stone.

And so I set my plan into motion, ordering twilight, who had already read about my sister’s return in some old book about legends, to move to Ponyville and make some friends.

***

Now back to the present.

What Twilight had learned over the years finally paid off. She was finally able to access her raw power via the EoM (Element of Magic.) It had taken two years for her to finally figure out how to properly use her element, especially when not in the presence of the other five elements.

I felt nothing but pride in my apprentice, and I was more than happy that she was here now unlocking the key to peace and perfection in all of Equestria.

So now before me hovered this Mare of untold power. This unmatchable sorceress, hadn’t even needed transportation to my Canterlot Laboratory. She simply teleported here, all the way from her library home in Ponyville.

She materialized in front of me. She got my message quickly, taking only minutes after I sent the letter through spike, which told her that I needed help right away, and to come to my magic lab in Canterlot.

“Whatever can I help you with Princess?” Spoke Twilight, she idolized me, I could see it in her expression. She had a blank smile on her face, almost like a mindless drone willing to go to the ends of the earth for me.

I dawned my motherly smile and replied “follow me, my faithful student, there is something I must show you.” She nodded her head and I led her to a large white walled test chamber located deep with in my research lab.

As we entered I saw her otherwise content expression change to awe. She had never seen this part of my lab before.

“This is where we discover new spells.” I tell her. “New magical abilities, ways to make everypony’s life easier. And” I add “this is where miracles happen.” She maintained her look of awe and wonder. She looked ready for anything. Then she turned towards me.

“How could I possibly help with that?” she asked me. After all these years she was still the most humble pony I had ever met. I seriously doubt that she fully understood the extent of her own magical prowess.

“Do you trust me, Twilight?”

She looked confused by that question, “Ummmm yes...”

“Do you trust me?” I repeated.

“Yes, of course I trust you, how could you even ask that ques…”

“Do you trust me?!”

“YES I TRUST YOU PRINCESS…”

“That’s three times you said you trust me.” She looked at me with her big studious eyes almost looking offended. She had no clue what was about to happen. And to some extent, neither did I. All I knew was that we would be helping out all pony kind.

“What we do here today, Twilight, will be the most important thing you or anypony could ever be a part of.”

I took her to the center of the chamber. There sat a metal chair where I sat twilight down.

She remained silent while I strapped her into the chair. I ran my hoof through her mane. “I am so proud of you, please know that.” A tear welled up in my eye, I really was proud of her. I was proud of her like a mother would be of her own daughter.

She gave me a smile.

“Thank you,” she responded cheerfully back to me “but what is it we are doing here.”

“Please just trust me.”

And with that, I walked to the end of the room opposite of the way we came in. I opened a door and went into a room full of magic powered computers. Several monitors in the room showed Twilight at different angles. The room was covered with buttons and layered with levers. There was a microphone in the middle of everything shooting out of the mess of buttons, which I grasped firmly with my right forehoof.

I spoke into the microphone hearing the sound of my own muffled voice echo in the room next to me, “Look up Twilight. See the rod above you?” I saw her on the monitors as she tilted her head upwards. There was a brief moment of silence and then I spoke into the microphone again. “Twilight, its ok, I can hear you, you can still talk to me.”

“Ok, yes I see the rod but what…”

“Good, now when I say ‘now’, concentrate as much of your magic energy into the rod as possible, and I mean as much as you can. Do you understand?”

“Yes I do, but what is it we are doing here!”

I paused for a moment thinking of what to say.

“You are about to become a god.” I say into the receiver.

I wrapped my left forehoof around a large switch sitting near the microphone’s receiver.

“NOW!” I yelled and I pull the lever down…