• ...
5
 1
 1,105

Chapter 3: Scorpion

Back at the courtyard, everyone made it back in time for the next match. One of the guards stood besides Kano and Raiden noticed, sensing a vision of Kung Lao fighting Baraka. Raiden walked away while Shang continued to speak. "Kombatants! Before we begin the next match, there has been a change in the rules." One of the guards handed him a piece of paper. "The Mane 7 and Spike will be allowed to fly and use magic while outside of the tournament."

Everyone except Raiden, Liu Kang, the Mane 7, and Spike complained.

"Sorry, everyone." said Twilight. "The Elder Gods said so."

"Our next kombatant will be..." A circle of fire appeared, and Scorpion arose from the flames. It vanished once he was at the arena. "...Scorpion! Specter of the Netherrealm! Resurrected by the sorcerer Quan Chi! Who among you is worthy of this challenge?" As Scorpion looked around at the kombatants, he couldn't find the one he was looking for.

Pinkie Pie was hopping up and down like crazy. "Ooh, Ooh! I am! I am! I am! Pick me! I'll take you on! Come on!"

"Where is the Lin Kuei Sub-Zero?" Scorpion asked. "He killed my family and clan. I will have his head!"

"I know it is you, Kung Lao." Raiden said, looking at a guard standing next to him. "The Shaolin monks chose Liu Kang to represent your order in this tournament."

"I am Liu Kang's equal!" The guard said.

"That remains to be seen."

"Watch and see." The guard took off his mask and attire, revealing himself to be Kung Lao. "I accept the challenge!"

"Kung Lao?" Liu was surprised.

"Never mind the Lin Kuei. Now you face a Shaolin."

"You will regret your impulsiveness." Scorpion said before fighting Kung Lao. Scorpion threw a spear at Lao, and Scorpion pulled him over while yelling "GET OVER HERE!" after the fight was over, Scorpion looked at Lao and said, "You are not yet a warrior."

"Kung Lao!" Liu Kang said. He and Raiden helped the fallen warrior.

"Listen when your elders speak! You could not win this fight."

Scorpion walked up to Shang. "I have defeated the challenger, Shang Tsung. I demand Sub-Zero!" Raiden had a vision Scorpion holding Sub-Zero's spine and Noob Saibot rising.

Twilight looked at Scorpion and said, "You are acting like a spoiled brat!"

"You will demand nothing!" Shang said. "Nightwolf!"

The shaman walks up to Scorpion. "Your aggression is misplaced." he said.

"What do you know of my past?" Scorpion asked.

"You are not the only one whose people have been victimized. But I have found new purpose in serving the Spirits. I do not cling to the past."

"You no longer seek retribution? You dishonor your kind. I will honor the memory of my fallen." Scorpion kept slicing Nightwolf with his swords, until he was defeated. "The spirits have forsaken you, Shaman."

Shang said, "Well done. You are full of surprises. And speaking of surprises, your next opponent is... Pinkie Pie!"

Pinkie Pie hopped up to the arena. "All right, Scorpion." she said. "Get ready to party 'till you drop!" Pinkie Pie shot explosive balloons from her party cannon. Scorpion threw the balloons back at her. The two kept playing volleyball with balloon bombs, until Pinkie was defeated. "Aw, MAN!" Pinkie sighed.

"You waste my time sorcerer!" Scorpion snarled with his fist covered in flames.

"Restraint, Scorpion." said Quan Chi. Scorpion placed his flamed hand down.

"You will fight Sub-Zero soon enough." Shang said. He stood up from his chair, and Quan Chi followed him. While everyone else left, Scorpion's eyes lowered as he was frowning behind his mask.

"Scorpion," Raiden called out. "I understand your desire for revenge. but Nightwolf is right. There are other ways in which you may find peace."

"Sub-Zero deserves death."

"Defeat Sub-Zero if you must, but do not kill him. I fear his death will give rise to a more treacherous foe."

"That does sound weird, but I will still have my revenge!"

"Tell you what: spare Sub-Zero's life and I will request that the elder gods return the Shirai Ryu to the life of mortals." Scorpion took some time to think about it. The two nodded to each other.

In Shang's throne room, the doors opened up, Scorpion entered and walked up to Cyrax and Sektor.

"I understand there are benefits to the Grand Masters plan..." Cyrax told Sektor, "... but his plan goes against Lin Kuei principals."

"We are Lin Kuei, Cyrax." Sektor stated. "We will obey the Grand Master's comands."

"It means giving up our free will... our souls. It will turn us into--"

Sektor saw the fire ninja walk up. "Scorpion."

"Your inferior clan is dead. Soon you will join them."

"My clan may walk the Earth once more." Scorpion told the Lin Kuei warriors. Cyrax pushed him.

"A challenge!" Shang announced. "Scorpion and Applejack vs Cyrax and Sektor!"

"Yeehaw!" Applejack said. "Y'all ready for this?"

"Your obsession with Sub-Zero ends here." Cyrax told Scorpion.

Scorpion took down Cyrax with teleport while Applejack tied Sektor up with her lasso and bucked him in the face. After the fight, Scorpion declared, "I will have my revenge, but I will not kill Sub-Zero."

"Will not? Or cannot?" A voice said. Scorpion turned around to see Sub-Zero.

"You!" Scorpion muttered, glaring at his enemy. "The Shirai-Ryu are dead. You will suffer as they did."

"To hell with your clan." Sub-Zero remarked. Scorpion shook his head at the Lin Kuei and said,

"No... to Hell with YOU!" He grabbed hold of Sub-Zero, and flames surrounded them and they teleported away. The Mane 7 and Spike were surprised.

The two foes reappeared in the Netherrealm. Sub-Zero pulled away from Scorpion's grasp. "Wow. The Netherrealm." Sub-Zero said.

"This is where I was reborn. This is where you will pay!" The two ninjas fought to the death until Sub-Zero was defeated. Scorpion looked at his beaten opponent and said, "I have avenged my family and clan."

Quan Chi appeared behind Scorpion. "This is your retribution? Scorpion. Kill him."

"I..." Scorpion paused, thinking of what Raiden said earlier. "I will not. He has been beaten."

"Have you forgotten?" the sorcerer asked, using his power to show Scorpion what has happened in the past.

"What is this?" Scorpion asked. Pictures began to move, beginning with a fire burning a village. Voices were screaming from death greeting them. An army of ninjas were killing innocent civilians with arrows.

"No..." Scorpion said, realizing what this is. Sub-Zero slowly sat up, not knowing what is happening. In Quan Chi's magic, the invaders were killing people with swords, but the one that stood out most was Sub-Zero, the only one with actual color, riding on a horse while holding a sword.

"Your clan. Your family." Quan Chi changed the picture. In that, a woman sheltered herself in her home, holding her child in a strong grip, protecting it from harm, while the outside was filled with death and screams of pain. The screen door opened, and Sub-Zero entered, his sword in the scabbard, getting ready to be pulled out. The woman held onto her baby as she cried, accepting her fate.

After the scream, a trail of blood splattered on the screen door, and the rose petals fell down slowly.

"No!" Scorpion yelled, filled with rage. Quan Chi faded the screen as Sub-Zero lifted his arm.

"That is not me!" he said. Scorpion removed his hood, showing his flaming Ghost Rider skull, but then the Netherrealm blacked out. Sub-Zero let out a big scream as he was burned.

Everyone was talking, but then Scorpion reappeared. Shang Tsung anticipated what the result was, along with Raiden. Revealing what happened, Scorpion held a skull and spine. Rainbow Dash shed a tear.

"Ouch." Johnny said. Scorpion dropped the skull and spine, the bones crushing as they landed on the ground, in slow motion. After the motion was in normal speed, Scorpion let out his flames with a roar, teleporting out of the room.

Everyone began to leave, while Raiden stepped forward to the cracked bones. "Despite my efforts, my vision has come to pass. The ship has sailed for the Shirai-Ryu to come back to life." Cyrax stood beside the Thunder God. "An unfortunate end. He once defended Earthrealm from the Netherrealm armies of Shinnok and Quan Chi."

"Scorpion will pay for this!" Cyrax stated.

"Sub-Zero's fate is his own doing."

"His own doing?!"

"The Lin Kuei have a history of making ruinous choices. Such as the Cyber Initiative." Cyrax turned around and responded,

"I am among those speaking out against the Grand Master's plan. Surgically transform the Lin Kuei into glorified robots? It kills our intuition. Our instincts."

"Did you speak out against the Lin Kuei's participation in this tournament?" Raiden asked.

"We were invited by Shang Tsung. He promised us free hotel reservations with free room service." Cyrax said.

"He pays you to kill Earthrealm warriors." Raiden said, crossing his arms. "Betraying your own realm? I expect better. Even from an assassin."

"My loyalty is to the Grand Master." Cyrax defended, walking out of the throne room.

"Victory for Shang Tsung means the end of Earthrealm. And the Lin Kuei." Raiden warned. Cyrax took one glimpse at Raiden, the Mane 7, and Spike before leaving.

Twilight looked at Raiden and asked, "Who's Shinnok?"

While Cyrax was still walking, Baraka was watching him.