• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 1,317 Views, 163 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sour Sweet - CapNTilfy



Sour Sweet has been miserable for as long as she can remember. Little does she know what lies ahead for her... Book Three of the Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
1
 163
 1,317

Self-Talk

Third period went by swiftly as everyone gave her looks. I should have known people would be all over the fight, but I just couldn't help myself. It didn't matter to me that it was self-destructive, I just needed an outlet! Thought Sour Sweet.

Keep telling yourself that. thought Sour Side.

I'm telling that to you. thought Sour Sweet.

Which, in technical terms, means that you're still telling yourself. thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes. Whatever. Let's move on, shall we?

The warning bell for fourth period rang, and Sour Sweet checked her phone. She didn't want to deal with them if she can help it, but more often than not she had no choice. She sighed heavily, at least grateful that she had no messages. She walked into class with what little peace of mind she had at the moment.

----------------------------------------------

Fourth period was a breeze, but Sour Sweet was being cautious. She didn't want any personal contact with anyone, and woe betide the person foolish enough to cross her path.

Being a bit overly dramatic, aren't we? thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes. Fuck off. she thought.

She quickly bolted to her fifth period class, avoiding eye contact as best she could.

----------------------------------------------

It was now lunch time, and Sour Sweet sat at her own table. The entirety of Crystal Prep Academy knew that it was in their best interests to leave her be during lunch, as several stupid and unfortunate students can attest. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way. Any student that came close the table would be given a glare unlike any other, and all would wisely pass her by.

And yet...she found herself jealous of people sitting together. Smiling. Laughing. Doing and feeling things she can't remember ever feeling or doing. She turned her head away to prevent passers by from seeing a stray tear fall from her eyes. She allowed herself a sniffle before calming herself down. I don't want to cry in public if I can avoid it. Sour Sweet thought.

You're going to have to let it all out eventually. Sour Side thought. It's not healthy to hold it all in.

Sour Sweet barked a laugh despite her best efforts to suppress it. That's a good one. she thought. My apparently sentient coping mechanism is telling me what isn't good for my mental health.

Yeah, I know. It's ironic. thought Sour Side. But you know that it's true.

Why do you care so much anyway? Aren't you supposed to be anger incarnate or something? Sour Sweet thought.

Think about it this way, Sweet. thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. "Sweet?"

Well I can't just go calling you Sour. Don't want to get us both confused! thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet shrugged. Fair point, I guess.

Anyway. Think about it like this: I'm a part of you. I guess for want of a better phrase, I'm inside of you. You essentially created me because those...people use their positions as landlords to extort money from you. It's true that I'm sort of a manifestation of your suppressed anger, but I only come out when I feel it's warranted. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes. You're telling me shit I already know.

Fine. thought Sour Side. Bottom line: Your pain is my pain. Your suffering is my suffering. I feel what you feel. It may sound selfish, but I don't want you to get hurt if it means I get hurt in the process. That's why I care.

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes again. How noble of you. she thought sarcastically.

I can't be angry all the time anyway. Do I sound angry right now? Sour Side thought.

Nope. thought Sour Sweet. I guess that would tire both of us out if I was always angry. she sighed heavily. But I always feel miserable. Thanks to those... people! She punctuated the last word by banging her fist on the table, drawing glances from nearby students.

Don't worry, Sweet. We'll be rid of them someday. thought Sour Side.

Hopefully sooner rather than later. thought Sour Sweet.

You and I? thought Sour Side. We'll figure something out. We're smart.

Sour Sweet allowed herself to have a genuine smile. Yeah. she thought. We are and we will.

The warning bell for sixth period had rang.

Sour Sweet panicked. "Crap! I don't want to be late for class!"

----------------------------------------------

Sixth period was absolutely boring as all hell, but Sour Side was there to keep her company.

So. I suppose we never really "spoke" at length before. thought Sour Sweet.

Not much to talk about. Since you and I are basically one and the same, we have the same likes and dislikes. thought Sour Side.

True. thought Sour Sweet. And we both know everything about each other. Still...It's nice to have someone or something to talk to. Even if it isn't really talking.

The warning bell for seventh period rang, and Sour Sweet rushed to her next class.

----------------------------------------------

Sour Sweet nearly fell into a laughing fit during class, but she managed to hold it back. She had remembered seeing a shirt someone wore that she thought fit her situation well at the moment. Right as soon as she got out of the classroom, she look it up on her phone. It was a t-shirt that read I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!

Sour Sweet burst into the laughing fit she successfully avoided during her seventh period class, much to the fear and confusion of the students around her. If I had enough money, I would so buy that shirt! she thought.

Her laughing fit lasted long enough for the warning bell for eighth period.

----------------------------------------------

As Sour Sweet left her eighth period classroom, she noticed posters announcing tryouts for the Friendship Games. She shrugged. "Sure, why not?" she thought out loud before heading straight to her final class for the day.

----------------------------------------------

Her final class over, Sour Sweet ran to the buses and sat down, eager to get home. But if she was so eager...why was she crying? Why? the thought repeated itself in her mind until she turned off the light in her bedroom, crying herself to sleep.