• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 1,317 Views, 163 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sour Sweet - CapNTilfy



Sour Sweet has been miserable for as long as she can remember. Little does she know what lies ahead for her... Book Three of the Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
1
 163
 1,317

A New Day

Author's Note:

Five Days before the Friendship Games.

Sour Sweet woke up in the kitchen, confused. "What...what happened?" she asked.

I'm not sure you want to know. Thought Sour Sweet.

"Wait. If you know, then why don't-" Sour Sweet was cut off as memories from the previous night all but assaulted her mind. She gasped, putting her hands to her mouth in shock. "Oh...oh, god." She hugged herself and sniffled. "How did that happen? You took control of my body!"

I have only one idea. Thought Sour Side.

"Oh, shit." Sour Sweet said, coming to the same conclusion. "I can add 'multiple personalities' to my laundry list of insanity."

Look, it was either that or we both die. thought Sour Side.

"I know, I know." said Sour Sweet. She put her hands on her forehead. "I just can't believe that I tried to kill myself last night." She shuddered. "Okay. I think I officially hit rock bottom last night."

I'd be inclined to agree. thought Sour Side.

"Well at least there's nowhere to go but up." Sour Sweet said.

Look at you, being all optimistic. Thought Sour Side.

"Hey. Whatever keeps us alive, right?" Said Sour Sweet.

Right. Thought Sour Side.

"So...where do we go from here?" Asked Sour Sweet.

Well, we could settle things with Lemon Zest. And by that I mean bury the hatchet. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet stroked her chin in thought for a moment. "Well, it's better than nothing at this point. But I doubt she'll want to come here again on purpose after our fight. We might have to set something up at Crystal Prep tomorrow."

Whatever works! thought Sour Side.

"Indeed." Agreed Sour Sweet. "You know, we can't just stay in here all day. Surely there's something we can do outside. The weather looks great out there!" She ran outside and took a deep breath then exhaled, sighing with contentment. She put her hands behind her head and lied down on the grass, staring at the sky. "What are we going to do about Blueberry and Cinnamon?" she asked.

I wish I knew. Thought Sour Side. But hey, the Friendship Games sound like a good enough distraction.

"They do." said Sour Sweet. "Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to vent some aggression on Canterlot High students."

I wouldn't get too rough. Wouldn't want to be the cause of a potential loss, now would we? Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet laughed. "Crystal Prep? Lose? That's a good one. We always win."

There's a first time for everything. Thought Sour Side.

"Be that as it may, I don't see us losing." Sour Sweet said as she got up off of the grass, wiping away the blades that stuck to the back of her clothing.

I'm just saying. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet started walking around the neighborhood, taking in the sights and sounds. She didn't often go outside unless she had to. She took another deep breath and exhaled, feeling free for the first time in her memory. Hmm. Not a whole lot going on. Sour Sweet thought.

Well it is a Sunday, after all. Thought Sour Side.

"Man, why are Sundays usually so boring?" Said Sour Sweet as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

Your guess is as good as mine. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet shrugged. "Oh well."

"Hey-o!" Said a newcomer from a distance. Sour Sweet turned around to see Indigo Zap, wearing a wide grin. "What's up, Sour?"

Sour smiled. "Oh, not much. What brings you out here?"

"You mean besides the fact that I live here?"

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes and smiled. "Sure. Let's go with that."

"Jogging. What about you?" said Indigo.

"Getting some fresh air. I've been cooped up in my house for far too long, and I think it's high time I changed that." said Sour Sweet.

"Cool. Wanna hang out?" said Indigo, putting her hands on Sour Sweet's shoulders.

Sour Sweet blinked as she processed Indigo's request. "Umm...what?" She said, scratching her head.

"I asked if you wanted to hang out." said Indigo as she took her hands off Sour's shoulders.

Indigo doesn't seem to be all that bad. Thought Sour Side. Sure, she can be a little obnoxious sometimes, but everybody's got flaws.

Sour Sweet shrugged. "Eh. Sure, why not?" she said to both Indigo and Sour Side. "What do you want to do?" she asked Indigo.

Indigo put her hands behind her head and folded them together. "Well, I was jogging. Do you jog?"

"Not really." Said Sour Sweet. "I don't exercise all that much, but I'd be willing to give it a try."

Don't overexert yourself. Thought Sour Side.

I'll try not to, but I could really use the exercise. Thought Sour Sweet.

I'm just say-

I know, I know. Sour Sweet thought, cutting off Sour Side. You're just saying. "Well, then." Sour Sweet said as she did some stretches. "Let me get all warmed up first."

"Take your time." Indigo said, smiling. "I've got plenty." After a few moments of silence, Indigo asked "So, have you given any thought to the Friendship Games?"

Sour Sweet nodded, still in the midst of her warm-ups. "It'd be a nice distraction from the tedium that is my life." A moment later, she finished. "Okay. Let's do this!" The two jogged side by side at an even pace, neither one trying to overtake the other. Yet. Eventually, like all things involving the students of Crystal Prep Academy, it became a competition.

"Race you to that fire hydrant!" Indigo said, pointing to a fire hydrant far off in the distance.

Feeling her natural competitive spirit kick in, Sour Sweet smiled. "You're on!" The two paced themselves at the beginning, but picked up speed as they both got closer. They jockeyed for position, nearly pushing each other out of the way or almost succeeding in shoving their opponent to the ground. Indigo tripped Sour Sweet, and she fell to the ground with a yelp.

By the time Sour got up, Indigo was leaning on the fire hydrant, a smug look on her face. "I win!" Indigo declared proudly.

"What the fuck, Zap?" Shouted Sour Sweet.

"All's fair in love and war." Indigo said, still smiling.

"Well, it's war now!" Said Sour Sweet.

Indigo raised an eyebrow. "Best two out of three, then?"

"You know it! Except this time, we'll compete in a physical activity of my choosing...jump rope!"