• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 1,317 Views, 163 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sour Sweet - CapNTilfy



Sour Sweet has been miserable for as long as she can remember. Little does she know what lies ahead for her... Book Three of the Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
1
 163
 1,317

Hidden Depths

Sour Sweet left Radiant Hope's office, closing the door.

Sorry for taking over without any warning. Thought Sour Side.

Don't worry about it. You really needed that release, apparently. Thought Sour Sweet.

Yeah. That's kinda why I did it in the first place. Thought Sour Side.

If I could hug you, I so would. Thought Sour Sweet.

I know. Same here. Thought Sour Side.

Let's get on with the day, shall we? Thought Sour Sweet.

Let's. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet walked a couple of steps and ran into a person. She nearly fell over but her hand was quickly taken, immediately standing her back up.

"Thanks." Sour Sweet said to the person. She blinked. "Um...have we met? I don't think I've ever seen you around here before."

"My name is Crystal Clarity." She said with a smile. "I'm one of the guidance counselors here." She extended a hand.

"Nice to meet you." Said Sour Sweet, accepting the invitation to the handshake. The warning bell for the next period rang.

Sour Sweet yelped. "I have to get to class! Thanks again!" She said as she ran out of the office.

----------------------------------------------

After sixth period, Sour Sweet walked over to a window and simply stared out of it. She sighed.

Don't worry, Sweet. It'll be okay. Thought Sour Side.

I sure hope so. Thought Sour Sweet.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Said a voice behind Sour Sweet. She turned around to see Indigo Zap.

Sour Sweet sighed. "I don't know if I want to talk about it." She said, resting her head on her hands as her elbows were supported by the windowsill.

Indigo shrugged. "Suit yourself." She began to walk away, only for Sour Sweet to grab her, preventing her from going any further. "Changed your mind?" She asked.

Sour Sweet laughed softly. "Yeah, I guess I did." She let go of Indigo, then sighed. "I got into a bit of a fight with Lemon Zest. I don't want to go to into much more detail than that."

Indigo made a hissing noise through her teeth. "That sucks." She said, putting an arm on Sour Sweet's shoulder.

Sour Sweet smiled, grateful for physical contact from a peer. "Yeah, it does." She said. "But I'm sure we'll bury the hatchet. I just need some time away from her to regroup, that's all."

"That's understandable." Said Indigo.

Sour Sweet blinked, as though suddenly realizing who she was talking to. "Wait...I thought you were supposed to be one of the most obnoxious students around here. Why are you being so nice to me?"

Indigo laughed. "Oh, please." She said. "I'm not some one-dimensional character. Sure I can be obnoxious sometimes, but I can also be a sensitive and caring person. Just like I'm sure there's more to you than being a little...unpredictable."

Sour Sweet raised an eyebrow. "Interesting choice of words."

Indigo grinned. "Would you prefer 'bipolar'?"

"While that's more accurate, I'm good with either." Said Sour Sweet. The warning bell for seventh period rang. "We should continue this conversation later." She said.

"Agreed." Said Indigo. "See you after class!"

----------------------------------------------

Seventh period had ended, and Sour Sweet began searching for Indigo in earnest. As she walked down the halls, someone tousled her hair from behind.

"Looking for someone?" Asked Indigo, wearing her trademark grin.

Sour Sweet smiled. "I was, but then she messed up my hair." She said as she fixed her hair.

Indigo rolled her eyes and smiled. "So. Bipolar?"

Sour Sweet nodded. "Yeah. I'm bipolar. I acknowledge that I have it, but I don't let it define me."

"I imagine it's hard to not let it define you because of your occasional outbursts." Said Indigo. Sour Sweet glared at her, and she held up her hands in defense. "Whoa, whoa, whoa." Indigo said. "I'm just saying, I meant no offense."

Sour Sweet sighed. "I don't know how to respond to that." She said, making a sputtering noise.

Indigo put a hand behind her head and sighed. "Yeah, that was probably out of line. I'm sorry."

"No. It's okay." Said Sour Sweet. "I'm just glad a peer is willing to talk to me, despite my 'reputation'." She clenched her teeth. "Damn Principal Cinch. I hate that word!"

You and me both. Thought Sour Side.

"You're not alone there." Said Indigo. "I think she's almost as obsessed with the thing as much as the word itself!" She sighed heavily. "Man, I hope the wrong people didn't overhear that."

Sour Sweet smiled. "If they did, we'd have known by now."

"Yeah, you've got a point there." The warning bell for eighth period sounded off.

"Onward to the next class, I guess." Said Indigo.

"Yup. Onward to the next class." Said Sour Sweet.

----------------------------------------------

Eighth period had ended, and Sour Sweet sought out Indigo again. She began looking everywhere just in case her hair got messed up again because she let her guard down.

Great. Now I can add paranoia to my list of issues. Thought Sour Sweet.

At this point, you ought to call them volumes. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet smiled and rolled her eyes. Quiet, you. She thought as she continued to look around. Huh. I wonder where she is?

Your guess is as good as mine. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet shrugged. Maybe she's busy with something else. You know, probably being obnoxious.

I don't think that's a fair thing to say after the conversation the two of you had. Thought Sour Side.

What? Indigo herself admitted to being obnoxious from time to time. Thought Sour Sweet.

Hey, I'm just saying. Thought Sour Side.

Sour Sweet rolled her eyes. Whatever. If you say so. The warning bell for the final period of the day rang. Oh well. She'll probably show up after the next period.

----------------------------------------------

Sour Sweet left her final class of the day in search of Indigo. She scoured the hallways, but was unable to find any trace of her. Eh, she's a big girl. She can take care of herself. Sour Sweet thought, and left Crystal Prep.

She arrived home and opened the door. All was quiet and calm. Sour Sweet sighed heavily. "Another day gone..."

At least Indigo was nice. Thought Sour Side.

"That she was, Sour Side. That she was." Sour Sweet smiled. The rest of her day was spent chatting with Sour Side and eating dinner. She then went up to her room and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

Author's Note:

Yeah, I realize that some of this chapter will come off as rushed. Next one will be better. =)